Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,511 members, 7,819,848 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:10 AM

The Benin-Lagos Expressway Has Finally Been Fixed? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Benin-Lagos Expressway Has Finally Been Fixed? (11114 Views)

Olusegun Agagu has finally been buried (PHOTOS) / 110 Die In Accidents On Benin-Lagos & Onitsha-Owerri Expressways / Benin Ore Road Has Been Fixed!(Some pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Benin-Lagos Expressway Has Finally Been Fixed? by teskyg: 7:25pm On Apr 02, 2012
Some doubting Thomas are scared of the progress.CPC and Co.fresh Air ,2015.
Re: The Benin-Lagos Expressway Has Finally Been Fixed? by dayokanu(m): 7:27pm On Apr 02, 2012
A thread was opened by some of Retardeen Jonathans followers a year ago which claimed Benin ore road has been fixed see below

https://www.nairaland.com/644476/benin-ore-road-been-fixed.

Some months later the same person came back to admit he was lying that it was part of the spin and sell tactics of the administration and supporters

PapaBrowne: ^^^
We had an election to win and we won at any cost!! Spin and spell inclusive grin grin grin

The important thing now is to move this potentially great nation forward! And things are looking up!!
Don't you just love the new Trade and Investment ministry?? The country is expanding and opportunities are cropping up in numerous areas. The man with an eye would take advantage and harness the opportunities! In this next 4 years, the private sector is king!!

I am comfortable with the Jonathan presidency and I'm happy, like most other Nigerians that voted him en masse that the man had a convincing victory! If anything, at least the world gave immense accreditation to his victory!!
Re: The Benin-Lagos Expressway Has Finally Been Fixed? by emsquare(m): 7:33pm On Apr 02, 2012
shymmex: How come Nigerian roads are so UGLY despite the huge money they spend on them? Can they expand the road and make it more presentable? lipsrsealed

Question begging for answers!

1 Like

Re: The Benin-Lagos Expressway Has Finally Been Fixed? by erith: 8:33pm On Apr 02, 2012
there is a lot of improvement in the benin - laogos road. Infact I was on that road last week and from what I and there is still some part of the under construction. Overall lot of improvement
Re: The Benin-Lagos Expressway Has Finally Been Fixed? by Iolo(m): 9:43pm On Apr 02, 2012
GboyegaD: With RCC as the contractor, I truly do not see the road lasting a long time before it starts cracking up. The Ibadan - Ife road is a very good example of their work in the past.

I fink the benin -ore road would be different. They actually dug up dirt on select portions of the road as deep as 6 feet in my own estimation.

Not a civil engineer but what from what i saw its like they identified the troublespots (mostly the places affected by gully erosion) and dug up the asphalt, the base and sand beneath etc. They then solidified these areas wiv those big granite stones b4 topping it off wiv sand and then d normal foundation road mix and then ashpalt.

Gist is that some parts of the road were rushed up coz someone was coming to commission the road. These rushed parts are later what gave way to become the parts affected by gully erosion between the Okada and Benin ends of the road.

Select portions of the reconstructed road are @ least two years old and they haven't began to give way or have any potholes or even minors.

Am just sayin that it seems these guys did a thorough job on this road. The quality is amazing from an aesthetic point of view, can't say structurally
Re: The Benin-Lagos Expressway Has Finally Been Fixed? by Iolo(m): 10:15pm On Apr 02, 2012
dayokanu: A thread was opened by some of Retardeen Jonathans followers a year ago which claimed Benin ore road has been fixed see below

https://www.nairaland.com/644476/benin-ore-road-been-fixed.

Some months later the same person came back to admit he was lying that it was part of the spin and sell tactics of the administration and supporters

^^^
We had an election to win and we won at any cost!! Spin and spell inclusive

The important thing now is to move this potentially great nation forward! And things are looking up!!
Don't you just love the new Trade and Investment ministry?? The country is expanding and opportunities are cropping up in numerous areas. The man with an eye would take advantage and harness the opportunities! In this next 4 years, the private sector is king!!

I am comfortable with the Jonathan presidency and I'm happy, like most other Nigerians that voted him en masse that the man had a convincing victory! If anything, at least the world gave immense accreditation to his victory!!

Regards the Benin-Ore road, everything I wrote is true!! The pictures I snapped are true! The Ore section as I acknowledged in the article(which is less than 10km out of about 400km) still stays bad till this day and I am not sure why. Perhaps the rains have slowed down work!

Seems you left out the last paragraph. I've been a frequent on that road and its true. It's been in progress since then with substantial portions already done. I bliv photos were uploaded as proof and anyone familiar with that road would instantly be able to identify its look.
Re: The Benin-Lagos Expressway Has Finally Been Fixed? by Iolo(m): 10:22pm On Apr 02, 2012
Beaf:

Bro, for as long as most can remember, there has been "construction" going on on that road. There have always been awe inspiring machines lining the route, but to what effect? They simply pocketted the money, decade after decade.

Lets give praise where it is due. Whatever held back the road repairs for the past few decades has been hit by the miracle of GEJ; it is like the impossible has happened.

Fresh Air!!! cool

Jeez!!! RCC hasn't been on that road for decades. They were initially awarded the Okada to Ogbese (in Ondo) contract to expan from 2 lanes to 4 lanes on each side but they abandoned that contract as the major benin-ore contract which they also won was given top priority.

They mobilized with a camp site along the Okada road sumtime in 2007-2008, and they even have a base within the Igbinedion University Crown estate where most of their expatriate workers stay.

Truth is GEJ will never take full credits on this one. A major expressway of 400km+ can't be reconstructed in 1+years.

If Tony Blair awarded a contract for a nuclear power station and it gets completed and operational in 2012, does David Cameron have any right to it?

If you answer truthfully the answer is NO.

There's a lot of work for GEJ ahead and I'm he'll get to build enuf pipelines to supply gas to the 9000 to 10000MW capacity power stations existing around the country. Once he does that, then he'll begin to receive the accolades in droves.

Let's not make the man lazy with stuff he doesn't have any right to.
Re: The Benin-Lagos Expressway Has Finally Been Fixed? by Nobody: 10:24pm On Apr 02, 2012
At what cost was this road rehabilitated?
Re: The Benin-Lagos Expressway Has Finally Been Fixed? by seleroms: 10:32pm On Apr 02, 2012
No need for too much arguements,am gonna be on that road on saturday and am gonna post pictures without any bias
Re: The Benin-Lagos Expressway Has Finally Been Fixed? by ikeyman00(m): 10:40pm On Apr 02, 2012
Jeez!!! RCC hasn't been on that road for decades. They were initially awarded the Okada to Ogbese (in Ondo) contract to expan from 2 lanes to 4 lanes on each side but they abandoned that contract as the major benin-ore contract which they also won was given top priority.

They mobilized with a camp site along the Okada road sumtime in 2007-2008, and they even have a base within the Igbinedion University Crown estate where most of their expatriate workers stay.

Truth is GEJ will never take full credits on this one. A major expressway of 400km+ can't be reconstructed in 1+years.

If Tony Blair awarded a contract for a nuclear power station and it gets completed and operational in 2012, does David Cameron have any right to it?

If you answer truthfully the answer is NO.

There's a lot of work for GEJ ahead and I'm he'll get to build enuf pipelines to supply gas to the 9000 to 10000MW capacity power stations existing around the country. Once he does that, then he'll begin to receive the accolades in droves.

Let's not make the man lazy with stuff he doesn't have any right to.

zip it!!

i think oga jon should take the credit; the same foolish obj promised enough but never done any hmm; where should we begin? river niger num 1 2 3

as far as nigeria is concern jon should take the credit!!! gbam no point blowing unnecessary noise over that cool

and u know it!! even a local government has abandon alot of on going project

this is what pisses off in nigeria and nl; they always play politics even when the truth is obvious

u have oga jon done the roads which have taken a lot of live i mean dead body; i personally have wittness one acident on that road; una dey here talkin nonesense

u have northern wey aboki talk too much about shaira yet he loot and loot and loooooooooooooooooooooot kia next u know there is a northen meeting; so even claim na poverty make way for bok mouda fcking fools; yet the same useless mallam will be the first to ask for more money or to tell us power should return to the north

anway if this country got to move we must get used to telling the truth if we can without some trait
Re: The Benin-Lagos Expressway Has Finally Been Fixed? by Iolo(m): 11:06pm On Apr 02, 2012
ikeyman00:

zip it!!

i think oga jon should take the credit; the same foolish obj promised enough but never done any hmm; where should we begin? river niger num 1 2 3

as far as nigeria is concern jon should take the credit!!! gbam no point blowing unnecessary noise over that cool

and u know it!! even a local government has abandon alot of on going project

this is what pisses off in nigeria and nl; they always play politics even when the truth is obvious

u have oga jon done the roads which have taken a lot of live i mean dead body; i personally have wittness one acident on that road; una dey here talkin nonesense

u have northern wey aboki talk too much about shaira yet he loot and loot and loooooooooooooooooooooot kia next u know there is a northen meeting; so even claim na poverty make way for bok mouda fcking fools; yet the same useless mallam will be the first to ask for more money or to tell us power should return to the north

anway if this country got to move we must get used to telling the truth if we can without some trait

How does the North enter this equation?

Anywayz, you have your opinion, I have mine...
Re: The Benin-Lagos Expressway Has Finally Been Fixed? by Iolo(m): 11:09pm On Apr 02, 2012
http://www.africanexaminer.com/oreroad1013

Federal government has expressed displeasure over the
speed of work in the rehabilitation and asphalt overlay of
Benin-Shagamu dual carriageway handled by Reynold
Construction Company (RCC).

In a swift reaction, the project manager of the company,
Sharon Liblich said inadequate provision is the problem
why the job is not moving as planned.
The contract which commenced on the 28th May, 2009
has a completion period of 30 months and is expected to
be completed 27th December, 2011, according to the
contract agreement. The contract sum is N9, 745, 402,
329.89. with a length of 86km.

Briefing newsmen during the inspection of the road, the
Minister of State for Works, Engr. Chris Ogiemwonyi said
RCC should emulate Kopec who claimed that it has done
80 percent of its job on the same road.

According to the Minister, “We have seen what KOPEK  
has done from km109 to the end; at least they claimed
they have done 80 percent, whereas RCC has done 28
percent, so we see that disparity, RCC need to expedite
action on the site. We are not happy because these three
jobs were given the same time to RCC, KOPEK and Enaco
in March this year to be completed within 3months, if they
had all moved to site at the same time, much would have
been done by all the contractors.”
Re: The Benin-Lagos Expressway Has Finally Been Fixed? by Nobody: 11:17pm On Apr 02, 2012
Hurray!!! @All, if you are familiar with that road, this might be one of the great sights to see in years, I mean I was once again proud to be a NIGERIAN believe me! Just past that road to PHC TODAY (since the airfares are presently high), and I was practically in TEARS that this good could happen in my time. I then asked myself, 'WHAT TOOK THEM(F.G) TOO LONG?". The number of lives lost there, the economic punishment, jobs & appointments lost etc, (all in the past now though) seriously, I'm not GEJ supporter but whoever is responsible for that particular Lagos - Benin expressway rehabilitation, whether an individual or a group, MAY GOD BLESS YOU FOREVER, kai!!! Nigeria must survive by God's grace.
Re: The Benin-Lagos Expressway Has Finally Been Fixed? by Beaf: 11:30pm On Apr 02, 2012
Gabbysky: Hurray!!! @All, if you are familiar with that road, this might be one of the great sights to see in years, I mean I was once again proud to be a NIGERIAN believe me! Just past that road to PHC TODAY (since the airfares are presently high), and I was practically in TEARS that this good could happen in my time. I then asked myself, 'WHAT TOOK THEM(F.G) TOO LONG?". The number of lives lost there, the economic punishment, jobs & appointments lost etc, (all in the past now though) seriously, I'm not GEJ supporter but whoever is responsible for that particular Lagos - Benin expressway rehabilitation, whether an individual or a group, MAY GOD BLESS YOU FOREVER, kai!!! Nigeria must survive by God's grace.

Up Jonathan!
Many people have only heard from their parents and grandparents that the road was once good. Now they can see it with their eyes.
There has been no time in the past 30 or so goddamn years when earthmovers and all sorts of fangled gizmos were packed along the road, doing fuckall, while politicians banked the contract money. How many NLers are are up to 30 years old?
Re: The Benin-Lagos Expressway Has Finally Been Fixed? by lastpage: 12:09am On Apr 03, 2012
According to the Minister, “We have seen what KOPEK
has done from km109 to the end; at least they claimed
they have done 80 percent, whereas RCC has done 28
percent
, so we see that disparity, RCC need to expedite
action on the site. We are not happy because these three
jobs were given the same time to RCC, KOPEK and Enaco
in March this year to be completed within 3months
, if they
had all moved to site at the same time, much would have
been done by all the contractors.”
When a Minister uses this kind of "beggarly tone" to speak to contractors who have been paid to do a job but refuse to perform, then you should know that somepeople have been compromised and thus, LOST THEIR BARK!
Shame!

Lastpage!

BTW: Why cant any of this GEJ apologist show recent pictures instead of doing another "PapaBrowne" on us? Once beaten, thrice-shy! wink
Re: The Benin-Lagos Expressway Has Finally Been Fixed? by stagger: 7:33am On Apr 03, 2012
So many ignorant posts here.

I travelled from Benin to Lagos in February and I can authoritatively state that THE ROAD HAS BEEN FIXED. I did the journey in three hours fifty minutes, with a 15 minute stop over for lunch at Ore.

Kudos to the government for this.
Re: The Benin-Lagos Expressway Has Finally Been Fixed? by ray4life(m): 11:38am On Apr 03, 2012
True Story, just got back from Abraka in Delta State, and the entire strech of the road was smooth except for one or two minor pot holes between Okada and Ofosu. Left Abraka by 8:00 am and got to Ojota by 12:30 PM. And the most amazing thing was that there was no single Police Check Point.
Re: The Benin-Lagos Expressway Has Finally Been Fixed? by bong4(m): 3:13pm On Apr 03, 2012
The truth of the matter is that two things constitutes a nuisance on Nigeria roads: Police and Bad roads.
I made a trip from Ile Ife to Onitsha yesterday. Left my house by 7am and driving at 100km/hr , i got to Onitsha by 12 noon. I even finished what i went there to do and drove back by 3.30pm only to get home by 7pm. I did not see a single police checkpoint on the road and there was great improvement on the road especially the edo stae axis.
Re: The Benin-Lagos Expressway Has Finally Been Fixed? by OneNaija(m): 4:00pm On Apr 03, 2012
I swear, I was surprise to pass through Benin Ore road to see it been fixed. I board the car by 8.30 Am in Lagos and Arrive Asaba by 12 pm. Imagine, I never experience such. The road is neat and clean, Safe to drive my broda.Beside sef, No police on check point, first time in Nigeria. WOW.
Re: The Benin-Lagos Expressway Has Finally Been Fixed? by Africanpoet: 6:35pm On Apr 03, 2012
Thank God!
Re: The Benin-Lagos Expressway Has Finally Been Fixed? by Ekhan1(m): 8:47am On Apr 04, 2012
snthesis: dont want to doubt- just need clarification- is this thread stating that the entire Benin-Lagos road stretch has been fixed

i'm hoping so too.
Re: The Benin-Lagos Expressway Has Finally Been Fixed? by GAR3TH(m): 9:32am On Apr 04, 2012
Re: The Benin-Lagos Expressway Has Finally Been Fixed? by fred2265: 11:33am On Apr 04, 2012
shymmex: How come Nigerian roads are so UGLY despite the huge money they spend on them? Can they expand the road and make it more presentable? lipsrsealed
I expect they could, but it would take many years and much money...
Re: The Benin-Lagos Expressway Has Finally Been Fixed? by Tozer(m): 6:51am On Apr 07, 2012
I used the road four times last month, the Ore Ondo axis of the road still needs attention. It has rough and uneven surface with minor pot-holes....however u can sleep and drive on the Benin Edo axis of the road.
Re: The Benin-Lagos Expressway Has Finally Been Fixed? by doctorfox: 9:56am On Apr 12, 2012
This is good news.
I am working on something towards making the government accountable using online platforms to measure and track government performance.
I don't know if anyone here has heard about this platform here www.iwatchlive.org

It's a growing platform and still getting tweaked everyday.
We would elicit the help of Nigerians in every state to post projects going on around them and share the pictures for us to have a track record of who and what is working in our country.

This particular project, the Benin Shagamu Ore road with its details have been posted here www.iwatchlive.org/activities/view/8

Please feel free to make comments, suggestions, and feedbacks as you see fit.

Many thanks.
1Naija!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

President Jonathan To Visit Lagos Today (24/12/12) / Akeredolu Sends Commissioners Nominees To Assembly For Confirmation [see List] / Edo: Prominent Obidient, Nwaokobia Endorses Asue Ighodalo, Gives Reasons

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.