Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,941 members, 7,863,321 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 03:21 PM

Should Russia Really Host The 2018 World Cup? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Should Russia Really Host The 2018 World Cup? (695 Views)

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup / 2018 World Cup African Qualifying: Swaziland VS Nigeria - See Kick Off Time / Russia To Host 2018 World Cup, Qatar to Host 2022 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Should Russia Really Host The 2018 World Cup? by SuyaEater(m): 2:48pm On Apr 02, 2012
Emenike fined after race slur

Posted: 2012-04-02 10:58

Super Eagles and Spartak Moscow forward Emmanuel Emenike has been fined $17,000 for an obscene gesture towards fans of Dynamo Moscow during a Russian Premier League derby last week after he was racially abused.

The Russian FA also slammed a suspended sentence on the former Fenerbahce player until the end of the season for pointing his middle finger in the direction of the opponents’ fans.

“We decided that it was an adequate punishment,” deputy chairman of the Russian FA ethics committee, Vladimir Vasilyev, said on Friday. “We also took into account the fact that the player later apologised for his action.”

The 24-year-old striker – who joined Spartak last summer from Fenerbahce for a fee of £10m – said he was racially abused and therefore temporarily lost his mind.

“I never experienced a similar situation and never faced such racist insults. Fans of Dynamo constantly whistled as soon as I got to the ball, and I found myself next to them,” Emenike was quoted as saying on the club’s official website.

“Now I understand perfectly the feelings experienced by Roberto Carlos and Christopher Samba when they were hit by bananas. Is it any wonder that Samba lost his nerve, and he threw a banana back at the podium in the direction of the offender?” he asked.

Emenike said “he was sorry he could not hold back his temper” towards Dynamo fans, who were making monkey noises when the Nigeria international touched the ball.

Racism remains a major issue in Russia, with numerous incidents reported recently involving players such as Anzhi’s Roberto Carlos from Brazil and Christopher Samba from Congo.

Fifa and UEFA have stated their concern, especially in advance of the 2018 World Cup set to be held in Russia.

Colin Udoh

(1) (Reply)

Bolton Midfielder Fabrice Muamba Remains In 'critical Condition' In Intensive Ca / Ronaldo To Barcelona? / Impact Of Foreign League On Our Domestic League.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.