Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,753 members, 7,820,611 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:10 PM

Christian Hymns/songs And Copyrights - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Christian Hymns/songs And Copyrights (2230 Views)

Post Your Favourite Christian Hymns / Share Your Best Hymns / Post Yoruba Christian Hymns Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Christian Hymns/songs And Copyrights by oladayo042: 6:14pm On Apr 03, 2012
On the second page of every hymn book come this caveat: "All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording or otherwise, without the prior written permission of the publisher."

My utmost surprise is that the hymn book of most churches I've been to contains almost the same songs (though the arrangement and language may differ). This will lead to my first question: Who among these churches originally owned the copyright to these songs? Does every church actually obtain permission from the copyright owners of these songs before compiling their hymn book? If no, why put the caveat above when you are guilty of doing the same?

On a similar note, I will like to know if copyright is enforceable in Christian music? This question is influenced by my "traditional" christian upbringing. In my parents' church, when the choir says they have a special number, you can always be sure that you've never heard that song before because it is composed by the choir (or a chorister therein) themselves. I can remember how my mum used to hide her choir practice book whenever their anniversary is very close because she does not want us to know the anniversary songs before the date (she believe that will take away the value of those songs).

The story is different today. In these new pentecostal churches, when the choir says they have a special number, you can always be sure that it will be from Don Moen, Donnie McLurkin, and their likes. Even the highly respected gospel singers also come to revivals to perform a song (which I believe is a copyrighted material) published by a colleague. Some even do so in their albums without giving credits to the original singer.

I know many people may say the song is to glorify God and should not be treated in the same manner as a book. Some will also say the song is to minister to people and as such, originality should not take the front seat. These reasons may be valid to some extent but we should understand that intellectual property rights should be protected. If authors are to obtain a written permission from publishers before quoting 500 verses or more from the Bible (which is the word of God and not written by the publisher), the issue of copyright in Christian music should be taken seriously.
Re: Christian Hymns/songs And Copyrights by Image123(m): 7:56pm On Apr 03, 2012
On the other hand, ithink it should be seriously downplayed. Christians are not of the world, and the issues that deal with Christ cannot and should not be treated exactly like worldly issues. What's intellectual property? It's the gospel for God's sake, not hollywood. What would Jesus do? We saw a man casting out devils in Your name?

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Preaching Or Christian Entertainment? / (pastor. Chris, Oyakhilome) Says Isaac Is Not The Seed Of Abraham Clear Error? / Persecution or Threats against FROSBEL - You decide.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.