Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,128 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:49 PM

Apple Stock Up 64% Since October - Investment - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Apple Stock Up 64% Since October (1332 Views)

September And October Wedding (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Apple Stock Up 64% Since October by ektbear: 2:01am On Apr 04, 2012
Needless to say, this bear is quite happy cheesy
Re: Apple Stock Up 64% Since October by courage89(m): 2:05am On Apr 04, 2012
What is driving the stock price? Fundamental or speculation?
Re: Apple Stock Up 64% Since October by ektbear: 2:08am On Apr 04, 2012
The fundamentals are great. Rapidly rising sales, high profit margins, rapidly rising profitability. Low P/E.

Basically, iPhones, iPads, and to a much lesser extent iPods and Macbooks.
Re: Apple Stock Up 64% Since October by bittyend(m): 2:12am On Apr 04, 2012
courage89: What is driving the stock price? Fundamental or speculation?

Good question! - it has to do with the hype about Apple product, they will soon join their brother Nokia where they really belong.

I'm not a fan of apple, their products are too expensive for the value of what they provide. And being a computer guy, Apple products are one of the least desirable if you're in the IT field, except you're a web designer. undecided

Stock market died long time ago, bonds and real estate in Nigeria are what's popping right now. lipsrsealed
Re: Apple Stock Up 64% Since October by ektbear: 2:19am On Apr 04, 2012
heh.

I doubt I will ever invest in the Nigerian stock market again. Got burned very badly last time...between the rapidly depreciating currency and the lack of transparency, I don't think it a good place to put money.

Nigerian real estate is good though.

But I think my first preference going forward will be the US (and European possibly) stock market.
Re: Apple Stock Up 64% Since October by PointB: 2:26am On Apr 04, 2012
ekt_bear: heh.

I doubt I will ever invest in the Nigerian stock market again. Got burned very badly last time...between the rapidly depreciating currency and the lack of transparency, I don't think it a good place to put money.

Nigerian real estate is good though.

But I think my first preference going forward will be the US (and European possibly) stock market.

I blame the bolded on Sanusi Lamido, who singled handedly destroyed the stock market with unguarded statement. The clown of a CBN Governor actually termed trading in stock - gambling!
Re: Apple Stock Up 64% Since October by bittyend(m): 2:32am On Apr 04, 2012
PointB:

I blame the bolded on Sanusi Lamido, who singled handedly destroyed the stock market with unguarded statement. The clown of a CBN Governor actually termed trading in stock - gambling!

Why blame Sanusi when Soludo was the one who created the fake bubble, and turned a blind eye at the malpractices happening under him? I don't really like the Sanusi guy - but Soludo and Ndidi Onyuike Okereke destroyed the Nigerian stock market.

I thank God I never invested in that bubble. lipsrsealed

Investing in Nigerian stock market amounts to investing in real estate in Europe or America. undecided
Re: Apple Stock Up 64% Since October by PointB: 2:38am On Apr 04, 2012
bitty[b:
end]

Why blame Sanusi when Soludo was the one who created the fake bubble,[/b] and turned a blind eye at the malpractices happening under him? I don't really like the Sanusi guy - but Soludo and Ndidi Onyuike Okereke destroyed the Nigerian stock market.

I thank God I never invested in that bubble. lipsrsealed

Investing in Nigerian stock market amounts to investing in real estate in Europe or America. undecided

How exactly did Soludo create the bubble? And what correlation does it have with Sanusi calling Capital Market stock trading activities 'gambling'?
Re: Apple Stock Up 64% Since October by ektbear: 2:40am On Apr 04, 2012
There is nothing wrong with investing in real estate in the US. Actually there was a recent article (http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/03/business/investors-are-looking-to-buy-homes-by-the-thousands.html) about some folks making money from this.

Just the key with any sort of investing is to look for value...underpriced assets.

And there is value pretty much everywhere.
Re: Apple Stock Up 64% Since October by courage89(m): 2:59am On Apr 04, 2012
ekt_bear: The fundamentals are great. Rapidly rising sales, high profit margins, rapidly rising profitability. Low P/E.

Basically, iPhones, iPads, and to a much lesser extent iPods and Macbooks.

While i agree with you that they have an ok (not great) fundamentals; based on their reserve cash, ok products and great competitive advantage (marketing) and not because of their low PE.Their PE is not that great when you compare them company with HP, Dell and other comparable companies. They have a lot going for them right now considering they just announced share buyback program couple with the cash distribution worth about $50 billion, still going to be holding $50 billion in cash reserve after distribution, New Ipad, New Iphone, Mac series and other marketing intangibles. The question still remain, is the company worth its current price tag, approximately $600 billion?
Re: Apple Stock Up 64% Since October by ektbear: 3:16am On Apr 04, 2012
hp and dell are not comparable companies.

much slower growing...
Re: Apple Stock Up 64% Since October by dayokanu(m): 3:23am On Apr 04, 2012
PointB:

How exactly did Soludo create the bubble? And what correlation does it have with Sanusi calling Capital Market stock trading activities 'gambling'?

Sanusi became CBN governor in June 2009.

The market already collapsed before then. Collapsed late 2008-early 2009
Re: Apple Stock Up 64% Since October by bittyend(m): 3:25am On Apr 04, 2012
How the Big Lenders Crashed the Stock Exchange and were Enabled by Dr. Soludo

Abdulmumuni Yinka Ajia

Janice Kew and Michael Patterson over at bloomberg.com recently did a story on the Nigerian stock exchange and how bank losses have had a profound impact on the exchange. According to the duo, bankers (otherwise known as lenders) may be holding as much as $10 billion in toxic assets which is estimated to be almost equal to half of the entire capital of the exchange. [See Story]

Now if you take into account that the lenders make up about two thirds of the Nigerian stock market, you will agree with me that as a regulator, Professor Soludo has not done a good job overseeing the banks and ensuring financial discipline. The state of the Nigerian bank is very precarious because of it.

Before I go into the disaster that is going on within the banking sector, let us first take a look at some of the reasons why the Nigerian stock exchange has moved from one of the best performing market to one of the world’s worst barely less than a decade! Perhaps, there are many reasons that led to the collapse of the exchange, I will focus on five critical areas.

Speculation: I know, most markets are speculative in nature but what was going on in Nigeria prior to 2008 was of the worst kind. A friend of mine who works in middle management for one of the so called big banks confessed to me sometime in 2007 that the insider joke is that the Nigerian stock exchange has broken all rules. What he wasn’t saying was that while this speculation was going on, the major lenders were not creating any real value within the economy which can ultimately boost the Naira and save the exchange from itself. This was a period, when the big lenders were just floating ridiculous IPOs, give it massive publicity and have unsuspecting Nigerians buy into their voodoo companies. Barely ten years ago, most of these new big banks were not even in existence. Today, they are unraveling. Posting bogus profits and fuzzy book keeping. Now lets examine the next reason why the exchange floundered terribly as it did.
Insider trading: the trading of a stock or other securities by individuals with potential access to non public information about the company. This is not only going on, the Securities and Exchange Commission has not been alive to its responsibilities. It has also been suggested that SEC employees may be conniving with some of these traders while the public bears the pains of the loss in value. Most of these insiders have continued to dump their stocks using non public information at their disposal.
Bogus balance sheets: here you will find the legally backed margin loans that allowed banks to delay booking losses. This lack of full disclosure has left investors unable to identify potential losses. In some cases, there have been rumours of outright falsified balance sheets to deceive the public. The Nigerian media have been (with the exception of a few outlets) enablers, they publish these false reports and do not engage in any investigative follow up to ascertain the health of these institutions. To round it up, these lenders are into free wheeling and shaky securities. All of these activities have put investor’s funds at risk. The last time I read, the pension fund is threatened. This is perhaps, the only retirement instrument most Nigerian civil servants have. How do you explain to a 65 year old man or woman that you have gambled away their fortune?
Now let us take a look at the disease within the Nigerian banking sector. And while we are at it, let’s examine the activities of the bureau de change.

Sometime in March, specifically March 21, Soludo arbitrarily curbed the lending rate at 22% and the deposit rate at 15% respectively. But you and I know that this is not going to happen. What will eventually happen will be a form of shadow banking, sadly it is already being practiced in Nigeria and this will only exacerbate it.

Presently, Nigeria has a law that requires the banks to notify some security agency or the other if a cash lump sum is being deposited at once. What the banks actually does is to have the customer deposit all the amounts in bits, in order to evade this legal provision.

This arbitrary lending and deposit cap will only give rise to one thing, back room dealing between the customer and the bank. You think that our banks are in a bad shape right now, that will push them to the precipice.

Then you have the bureau de change. I still don’t understand why the CBN has its own exchange rate and then you have the real market, where 80% of the foreign exchange transactions occur and the price is sharply different. Presently, there is about a N20 difference in the rate between the CBN and the parallel market. If you think N20 is insignificant, wait until you buy 1 million dollars @ N144 to a dollar from the CBN and take a walk down the street to the bureau de change and sell in the parallel market for N165 to a dollar. Tell me, what kind of business will give you so much instant return and at a very high percentage profit? So this is what is at stake. Why wouldn’t Soludo abolish the official rate and allow the banks to sell foreign exchange to anyone (with identification) at the market rate? The CBN should also be able to sell to the banks at the prevailing market rate minus one Naira (leaving a margin for profit). Soludo has refused to tow this line. Why? Because the status quo is beneficial to all of them (players within the Nigerian financial industry) you buy cheap from the CBN, you cross the street and sell high and you go to the bank smiling. In the process, you haven’t really created any value to the economy. While these financial tricksters line their pockets, the Nigerian economy and the general public bears the brunt of their nefarious ways.

And we also have cases, where lenders have written out huge loans without any significant collateral. It is risky behaviour and ultimately we are witnessing the unraveling albeit in a sad way. These kinds of behaviours have put genuine investor’s life savings in a toilet.

I am not going to even dabble into the activities of the illegal micro finance institutions that mushroomed between 2006 and 2007. Where was Soludo when all these illegal activities were going on? Nigerians lost millions of Naira to this fraud, the CBN responded a little too late.

This kind of behaviour is emblematic of the kind of leadership that Soludo has provided at his perch as Nigeria’s treasury chief. You can not be a regulator and at the same time parleying around with the same people you are supposed to regulate. Rather than consider him for a reappointment, Soludo should be allowed to go back into the ivory tower to finesse his economic theories (I would suggest to him to decide whether he wants to be a free trader or not), perhaps some day in the not too distant future, he can become the conscience of the nation like prize winning economist and Nobel Laurent Paul Krugman.
Re: Apple Stock Up 64% Since October by bittyend(m): 3:26am On Apr 04, 2012
^^^^^That's how Soludo crashed the damn thing - and Ndidi Onyuike the rogue woman stole her billions... lipsrsealed
Re: Apple Stock Up 64% Since October by courage89(m): 3:27am On Apr 04, 2012
Why not? Are they not competing in the same market?

PC
Tablet
Server
Phones

Slow growth has never been a yardstick for determining comparable companies.
Its always about the competing products
Re: Apple Stock Up 64% Since October by ektbear: 3:31am On Apr 04, 2012
that makes no sense.

One company is growing at massive rate.

The other is shrinking or stagnating.

They should have the exact same P/E?

Obviously most people are willing to pay a premium for growth...
Re: Apple Stock Up 64% Since October by ektbear: 3:32am On Apr 04, 2012
Re: Apple Stock Up 64% Since October by bittyend(m): 3:32am On Apr 04, 2012
PointB:

He was aware that the big lenders were just floating ridiculous and incorrect IPOs, and posting bogus profits and fuzzy book keeping - yet he didn't do nothing about it. If that's not a bubble, I don't know what it is.
Re: Apple Stock Up 64% Since October by bittyend(m): 3:34am On Apr 04, 2012
ekt_bear: Apple Revenue Growth: 73.27%
http://ycharts.com/companies/AAPL/revenue_growth

Dell Revenue Growth: 2.16%
http://ycharts.com/companies/DELL/revenue_growth

lol

You can't really compare Apple with Dell and HP - those two should be compared to Lenovo. The big players are Sony and Toshiba, and Apple don't stand a chance with these two.
Re: Apple Stock Up 64% Since October by bittyend(m): 3:36am On Apr 04, 2012
courage89: Why not? Are they not competing in the same market?

PC
Tablet
Server
Phones

Slow growth has never been a yardstick for determining comparable companies.
Its always about the competing products

Dell and HP don't are small time players - you can't compare them to Apple. HP was almost bankrupt late last year. Comparison with Sony, Samsung and Toshiba is more plausible.
Re: Apple Stock Up 64% Since October by ektbear: 3:37am On Apr 04, 2012
I agree, Apple shouldn't be compared with Dell or HP. Such a comparison is somewhat nonsensical...they've never been about selling commodity computers. They've focused on the higher end market, essentially "luxury" computers.

But anyway, computers aren't the biggest reason for their high growth.

So for a variety of reasons, they shouldn't be compared
Re: Apple Stock Up 64% Since October by courage89(m): 4:00am On Apr 04, 2012
ekt_bear: I agree, Apple shouldn't be compared with Dell or HP. Such a comparison is somewhat nonsensical...they've never been about selling commodity computers. They've focused on the higher end market, essentially "luxury" computers.

But anyway, computers aren't the biggest reason for their high growth.

So for a variety of reasons, they shouldn't be compared

I agree with your differentiation analogy... not the slow growth analogy you used earlier. 2-3 years ago, Apple, HP, Dell, Sony, were all competing head to head in the same market. Just because HP and Dell lost major market shares to Apple, Lenovo, Samsung and others does not mean they are out of that market completely. They're still competing, and can bounce back at any time. Keep in mind, these companies are playing in the technology market. All it takes is only one product to change the game. And When that turn around happens, does that mean they can't be a comparable company anymore? My point is that; slow growth in technology market does not mean anything since no company is immune to it, therefore should not be used as a yardstick for comparing companies.
Re: Apple Stock Up 64% Since October by ade61: 10:53am On Apr 10, 2012
Apple stock price is worth every penny, That’s if you are smoking the right stuff.
The insanity of the speculative markets continue to be cheered by deceptive advocates who have made fortune but don’t acknowledge the actually cost to the United States future which is likely to see a declining standards of living in the year ahead . This is all done for a cause, so that a handful of people can make their billions by manipulating the stock market to show an illusion of prosperity returning to the economy.
The analysts who are projecting Apple stock to reach $1000 a share are the likely the same expletive, which made though wonderful forecasts about similar bubble stocks during dot com bust.

I would have like to use the actual word which best describe these analysts, but I probably would be censored.

The rapid rise in apple stock price has nothing to do with current earnings but is based solely on speculative growth with GREAT EXPECTATIONS that sales growth will increase by 20% annually or more for the next five years. This is why the cheerleader believes apples stock is significantly undervalued even though it has increased by over 250% in the less than 2 years.

If apple stock price continues to increase, don’t jump for joy. The continually increase is nothing but herd investing which has caused apple’s stock to increase by 56 % since the beginning of the year.

It was not long ago the herd believed that house prices could never go down but would continue to increase rapidly year over year. Just as the apple cheerleaders believe its stock price cannot decline, but will continue to increase. As long as the herd believes the fairytales being promoted in regards to Apple’s sales growth its stock price will increase. As soon is its earnings and net income do not meet the ridiculous expectations it will drop.

FACTS:
Apples 2011 net income is reported to be 26 billion on revenues of 128 billion. This is a 185% increase from Apple’s 2010 net income which was 14 billion. A good majority of Apple earnings came in the 4th quarter, I.E holiday season when it s gross earnings increased by about 18 billion from the previous quarters to over 46 billion. Unbelievable wouldn’t you agree?

The herd believes that Apple can expand it sales by 20% a year for the next 5 years is a deception. To accomplish this apple sales will have to increase to 153 billion in 2012 and by 2016 and have annual sales of 318 billion. I don’t know how the herd can believe this fabrication. I guess they are smoking some good dope.

Based on last year revenue and the prediction that sale will increase by of 20%, Apple’s net income will not exceed 40 billion in 2012. Apple’s net profit is approximately 20% based on 2011 earnings and net income.

Sales – cost of goods sold / sales = net profit
128 billion – 102 billion / 128 billion ≈ 20 %

2012 revenue if sales increases by a 20%.
128 billion X 1.20% ≈ 153 billion

2012 estimated Net Income from gross sales.
153 X 20% ≈ 31 billion

Every additional billion of net income will be more difficult to earn, due to its enormous size which is 1000 million. If the analyst’s 2012 forecast are correct Apple’s revenue will increase by 25 billion or 25000 million dollars. This amount of money buys quite a few Ipads, downloads and other apple products. How many more apple product can the market absorb?

By comparison NASA Space Shuttle operating budget in it last year was 3 billion. I provide this as an illustration, to give the cheerleaders a clued about the staggering amount of income apple currently has.

Apples net income from the past five years, from 2007 to 2011 is approximately 56.5 billion. A major jump in sale and income came in 2010 to 2011 when its net income increased by 11.91 billion.

What is never asked is how a company with a net income of 26 billion in 2011 can have achieved a market capitalization of 590 billion. I realize there is a difference between market capitalization and the use of a capitalization rate to determine value. However, market capitalization is a qualitative value not easily determine as it represents the public consensus on the value of a company's equity and in Apple’s case it has been inflated.

The use of a capitalization is a quantitative method to determine value from quantifiable data such as income and expenses. It is relatively easy to determine Apple value utilizing its net income and a capitalization rate. Apple average net income over the last 5 years is 11.3 billion. This income average would typically be utilized to estimate a value.

But let’s assume an unlikely scenario that Apple net income is 40 billion in 2012.
If a typical capitalization of 10% is applied to this net income, a value for the company can be estimated:
40 billion / 10% = 400 billion.

I acknowledge the capitalization rates are assumption, but historically a 10% rate is typically used by investors. By this analysis Apple’s market capitalization appear to be in excess by at least 265 billion.

Now let get to the 1000 dollar a share price which every analysts and his brother are saying Apple stock will achieve in a relatively short time. This will mean that Apple as a company is worth a Trillion dollars with a the capital recovery of more than 25 years on the money invested as Apple’s net income will likely stagnate at 40 billion, due to the enormity of that sum.

Apple’s income growth is beginning to slow, but this does not stop the analysts from developing deceptive forecast about Apples future growth citing its relatively low market share of worldwide computer, Smartphone and Tablet sales.

One must ask who is paying these analysts for these deceptive forecasts. Could it be the herd on Wall Street which severely damaged the US Economy by all the financial instruments which were developed, supposably to limit risk, but were merely another device which allows them to hedge their bets? .

It’s not surprising that the 70% of Apple’s stock is owned by institutional investors. Apple as company is a great candidate to collude on, due to its incredible growth rate over the last 5 years and the difficulty in evaluating its most important characteristic which is the marketing of its products.

Marketing is an intangible asset, akin to Goodwill which is very difficult to evaluate There is a reason, Apple’s sales are less than its competitor which is due to their considerably higher cost, which in many cases are functionality no better than their competitors. But if you listen to the experts, it’s like Apple has no competitors or competing products which the consumer can choose, but can only buy Apple products.

I have several apple products, including an ipad which is nothing more than an oversize iphone. The Ipad functionality and interface are significantly inferior to a lap top. The appeal must be to the herd, which is high on something and give them a convenient place to watch video as its utility is more like a toy than a useful device.

If Apple wishes to capture more market share of sales it will require developing additional products with lower prices as the more affluent market have been saturated, leaving the less capable market the task of buying all though millions products which are forecast to be manufactured and sold by apple in the coming years.

Just as computers, big screen TVs and many other electronic devices have been commoditized, so will apple products if they wish to generated more sales. This directly related to Apple’s value and alleged income growth potential. Guess what else is affected by a lower sale price? That right earning and net income will be lower, which is another reason Apple income will stagnate.

I could go on about why apple stock is a bubble, but it would be in vain as the herd does not wish to sober up as the dope Wall Street is selling is that good. Maybe I need a toke.
Re: Apple Stock Up 64% Since October by kodewrita(m): 8:58am On Apr 16, 2012
@ekt_bear is there a way a Nigerian resident in nigeria can invest directly in the NYSE?
Re: Apple Stock Up 64% Since October by ektbear: 5:01pm On Apr 16, 2012
I think anyone can. You just need to open up an account with a investment company. Perhaps one in Nigeria will allow you to buy foreign stock. If not, then open up an account with one in the UK or US.

(1) (Reply)

Invest In Serviced Plots 7km From Lekki Free Trade Zone @ N1.6M Per Plot. / The Simple Truth About MMM / Cizlers Best Investment Program with Job opportunity

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.