Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,670 members, 7,820,350 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:26 PM

Political Science Paper abt The Politics Of Shari'a Law, Boko Haram. Brainstorm! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Political Science Paper abt The Politics Of Shari'a Law, Boko Haram. Brainstorm! (1135 Views)

Politics And Religion-my Experience At Eid Praying Ground Ilorin With Photos / The Shamefulness Of The Politics Section Hall Of Shame / *~ Katsumoto Voted The Politics Section Poster Of 2012 *~ Congratulations (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Political Science Paper abt The Politics Of Shari'a Law, Boko Haram. Brainstorm! by shilling(f): 1:50am On Apr 05, 2012
Hi everyone,

I'm writing a Political Science paper titled "The politics of Shari'a law in Nigeria". I examine shari'a law in Nigeria, past and present, leading up to the current Boko Haram issue of course. I then explore reason(s) why the Nigerian government has taken such a lukewarm approach in dealing with this issue. I have done quite a bit of research about this, however I still haven't decided on an angle or possible angles to pursue.

My question is: What do you think is the politics behind the Nigerian government's lukewarm approach to the issue. Specifically Mr President and his cabinet. If you can give scholarly sources to back your response that would be better smiley))

Thanks for your help!

PS: Remember this quote by former President Obasanjo in August 2000, “I think shari’a will fizzle out. To confront it is to keep it alive.” Is Jonathan using the same tactic on Boko Haram? I want to know what you think!
Re: Political Science Paper abt The Politics Of Shari'a Law, Boko Haram. Brainstorm! by shilling(f): 4:54am On Apr 05, 2012
Bump! Poli sci gurus, help a sister out!!
Re: Political Science Paper abt The Politics Of Shari'a Law, Boko Haram. Brainstorm! by Nobody: 8:59am On Sep 14, 2012
The issue of Sharia in Nigeria is basically a constitutional one. The 1999 Nigeria constitution as amended made provisions for the introduction of the Sharia legal system. Also,some experts in law regard the Sharia system as a better alternative to the legal/judicial systems of the Western world. This school of thought contends that Western judicial processes have not significantly reduced the crime rate in Nigeria. One can infer that the protagonists of Sharia law believe that its (Sharia) harsh punishments, such as amputation of the limbs, would be more effective in deterring people from committing crimes.
(sources: Anyanwu, Ogechi. "Crime and Justice In Post Colonial Nigeria: The Justifications and Challenges Of Islamic Law Of Sharia. 2005/2006. Vol 21, page 320.http://web.ebscohost.com.ezproxy.csusm.edu/ehost/detail?vid=3&hid=18&sid=5fcb8502-5b1a-44c4-a20c-55a45e6af8dd%40sessionmgr10&bdata=JnNpdGU9ZWhvc3QtbGl2ZQ%3d%3d#db=aph&AN=23023094

Nigeria constitution, section 7.

(1) (Reply)

Youth Unemployment: Philosophy Of OYES - Speech By Gov. Aregbesola / FG Approves Three Amajiri Schools In Oyo / Oshiomole's Campaign

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.