Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,599 members, 7,816,488 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:52 AM

Did Jesus Die On A Friday? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Did Jesus Die On A Friday? (2346 Views)

Did Jesus Die For His Sin Or Cluelessness? / Pastor Adeboye Was Afraid To Die On Nigeria Airways Flight / Why Did Jesus Die (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Did Jesus Die On A Friday? by oloriooko(m): 1:08pm On Apr 05, 2012
If Jesus actually died on a Friday as believed by many people then He couldn't have risen on Sunday morning if He did spend three days in the grave!!!

Did Jesus actually die on a Friday or the day imposed on believers?

I think Jesus died on a Wednesday then it should be called a good Wednesday undecided undecided undecided
Re: Did Jesus Die On A Friday? by LogicMind: 2:53pm On Apr 05, 2012
oloriooko: If Jesus actually died on a Friday as believed by many people then He couldn't have risen on Sunday morning if He did spend three days in the grave!!!

I think Jesus died on a Wednesday then it should be called a good Wednesday undecided undecided undecided

why did your great grand father not ask these questions?
Re: Did Jesus Die On A Friday? by Fhemmmy: 2:54pm On Apr 05, 2012
Is it about the day He died or what He did that matters?

1 Like

Re: Did Jesus Die On A Friday? by Image123(m): 4:59pm On Apr 05, 2012
Fhemmmy: Is it about the day He died or what He did that matters?
The thing tire me o, my brother. It's simple na, except for people who know book too much. That's the difference between simple arithmetics and further mathematics. Died on friday. Friday is 1ST DAY, Saturday is 2ND DAY, Sunday is 3RD DAY. Jesus rose on the third day.
"And they shall kill him, and THE THIRD DAY he shall be raised again. And they were exceeding sorry." (Matthew 17:23).
Re: Did Jesus Die On A Friday? by 5solas(m): 11:10pm On Apr 05, 2012
Image123:
The thing tire me o, my brother. It's simple na, except for people who know book too much. That's the difference between simple arithmetics and further mathematics. [b]Died on friday. Friday is 1ST DAY, Saturday is 2ND DAY, Sunday is 3RD DAY. Jesus rose on the third day.
"And they shall kill him, and THE THIRD DAY he shall be raised again. And they were exceeding sorry."[b] (Matthew 17:23).

Image, try to get the point of the OP.

Take any time on friday to be the time of death, say 8.00am ; saturday by 8.00am is the end of the first day; sunday by 8.00am is second day ; this leaves monday by 8.00am to be the third day.

oloriooko: If Jesus actually died on a Friday as believed by many people then He couldn't have risen on Sunday morning if He did spend three days in the grave!!!

I get your point . In the light of my post above, try good thursday! grin . I also need to understand this point.
It doesn't bother me though.
Re: Did Jesus Die On A Friday? by Goshen360(m): 11:50pm On Apr 05, 2012
It should bother us anyway. The reason is that, if it doesn't bother us, we will be following some kind of religious activities that is not part of the apostolic teachings. I have not considered this myself but something inside me tells me its all religious nonsense. This will propel me to do my study on this subject though. I speak for myself though.
Re: Did Jesus Die On A Friday? by amor4ce(m): 12:21am On Apr 06, 2012
The full day is evening first, then morning (Genesis 1:cool. That is, the day starts by 6pm and ends by the next 6pm. YEshua (not Jesus) was killed on a stake and his body placed in the tomb during the daytime of preparation day which is the day before Sabbath or 6pm thursday to 6pm friday. The Sabbath is from 6pm friday to 6pm saturday. Note also that certain festivals in Israel involved other Sabbaths apart from the weekly one, and if I remember correctly, allowing for such festival Sabbah to occur the following day after the weekly one (see Leviticus 23).

The days of the week matter because there is a time for everything and the Messiah had to fulfil the Scriptures at certain pre-appointed times. The feasts that the true believers ought to observe are the ones He gave to Israel, not Easter and the likes.

In Christianity today lawlessness abounds as the Sabbath is profaned with glee, even with many saying TGIF in preparation for play.
Re: Did Jesus Die On A Friday? by amor4ce(m): 12:32am On Apr 06, 2012
In fact, we ought to desist from calling names of idols like thursday etc.
Re: Did Jesus Die On A Friday? by Callotti: 5:10am On Apr 06, 2012
Will I die on a Friday?
Sooooooooooooo, who gives a phock? undecided
Re: Did Jesus Die On A Friday? by Whymee: 6:09am On Apr 06, 2012
Am interested in this post,

The prophecy said, HE WILL DIE FOR THREE DAYS AND THREE NIGHTS, from Friday evening to Sunday morning, I don't get it.

No doubt this should be one of the many further mathematics expression in the bible that is being forced on us to believe.
Re: Did Jesus Die On A Friday? by TonySpike: 9:15am On Apr 06, 2012
Re: Did Jesus Die On A Friday? by oloriooko(m): 12:53pm On Apr 06, 2012
if some agree that Jesus was not crucified on friday, then who invented this good friday stuff and why?

even though i do not observe most of the celebrations simply cos they are not biblically established yet i want to know who and why these celebrations are in our calendar?
Re: Did Jesus Die On A Friday? by Whymee: 12:44am On Apr 07, 2012
Tony Spike: Having done some research on this issue over the years, I would say I agree with Amor4ce opinion.

Now for the purpose of education, Jesus was crucified on a Wednesday, the day preceding the Passover Sabbath. In the Jewish culture, we have a conventional sabbath (Saturdays) and High/special Sabbaths. The Bible tells us that Jesus (Yashua) was crucified shortly before the Passover Sabbath (Thursday), which itself is a type of High Sabbath. I urge us all to do deep research into this issue. Google is your friend.
Now, if Jesus (Yashua) was crucified on a Wednesday, then the mathematics adds up that He resurrected on Saturday midnight as the scriptures foretold. This will give us 3 complete days of 24-hours (72 hours) each, instead of counting from Good Friday which is a slightly higher than 24 hrs.

Your can check this Wikipedia links for the types of Jewish Sabbath:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_Shabbat

Nevertheless, the message of the risen Christ is the most important truth. That Jesus died for us is the greatest gift from God to Man. We must make use of the grace in His ressurection. The Easter celebrations, on the other hand, are no doubt human abstractions, preferably from the Roman empire times.

Complete sets of confused human being, twisting to suit his ignorance.
Did you check the meaning of crucify in your google friend, was the nailing to cross on Wednesday or Friday, now I know we have two sabbath day in a week in jewish tradition, na waoo

Conventional and special, which group of sabbath is Sunday, that you've converted as sabbath and keep Holy.

Hear, they hear not,
See, they seek not.
Re: Did Jesus Die On A Friday? by jamace(m): 7:49am On Apr 07, 2012
OP
I don't see your confusion here. 3 days is correct - Friday(died and buried)- 1 day,Saturdy (still in the grave)- 2nd day, and Sunday (rose from death)-3rd day. Hope you are not calculating 24 hours per day? Please don't allow too much arithematic to muddle a simple fact.

Shalom.
Re: Did Jesus Die On A Friday? by oloriooko(m): 12:02pm On Apr 07, 2012
@ jamace
OP
I don't see your confusion here. 3 days is correct - Friday(died and buried)- 1 day,Saturdy (still in the grave)- 2nd day, and Sunday (rose from death)-3rd day. Hope you are not calculating 24 hours per day? Please don't allow too much arithematic to muddle a simple fact.

Shalom.

Mar 16:2 And very early in the morning the first day of the week, they came unto the sepulchre at the rising of the sun.

with this verse how did you do your calculations?
Re: Did Jesus Die On A Friday? by Image123(m): 12:08pm On Apr 07, 2012
Too many 'brilliant' and 'wise' people on nl. Them wise pass Daniel sef
Re: Did Jesus Die On A Friday? by oloriooko(m): 12:52pm On Apr 07, 2012
@ image123

Too many 'brilliant' and 'wise' people on nl. Them wise pass Daniel sef

do not just believe everything thrown at you cos that was how you grew up to meet them.

try finding out not to argue but to learn and be better.
Re: Did Jesus Die On A Friday? by dekung(m): 12:55pm On Apr 07, 2012

Jesus died on a friday according to the gospel accounts. At least 3 of them claimed he was crucified on the preparation day i.e a day before the sabbath day
Re: Did Jesus Die On A Friday? by oloriooko(m): 1:00pm On Apr 07, 2012
@ dekung

Jesus died on a friday according to the gospel accounts. At least 3 of them claimed he was crucified on the preparation day i.e a day before the sabbath day

please kindly show me from the bible.
Re: Did Jesus Die On A Friday? by yommy2sure(m): 2:59pm On Apr 07, 2012
Sabbath was not sunday originally. Sunday was use as a day to worship the pegan sun-god, it was the emperor constantain wen he accepted christianity that tried to unite christianity with the pegan religeon of those days hence sabath was moved to sunday to worship the sun-of-God instead of the sun-god, hence the name sun-day. Jesus did not die on a friday! And the apostles who founded or established christianity did not celebrate easter, christmas, new year...these are all pegan celebrations infused into xtianity. The original celebrations in the old and new testament are passover, feast of the terbanacles etc. U can google some of the truth behind this things and read up for yourself!
Re: Did Jesus Die On A Friday? by ea7(m): 3:50pm On Apr 07, 2012
jamace: OP

Shalom.
you are sooo smart. Not. Jesus said like jonah spent 3 days and 3 nights in the fish(!) so shall the son of man ... So friday night saturday and sat night, rose sunday morning. Nope, one day and two nights, simple arithmetic.
To the others, matthew, luka and mark, are not separate sources, matthew and luke both copy heavily from mark, in wording and all. Mark being the earliest at arounf 63ce
Re: Did Jesus Die On A Friday? by dekung(m): 5:49pm On Apr 07, 2012
oloriooko: @ dekung

So sorry I cannot readily direct you to the exact spot in the bible as am responding with my phone and also do not have a bible handy now. However, you can read up the crucifiXion accounts in matthew, mark and luke. Its there both in the NIV and KJV versions of the bible. Once I lay my hands on a bible I'll hit you up.
Re: Did Jesus Die On A Friday? by dekung(m): 6:21pm On Apr 07, 2012

Re: Did Jesus Die On A Friday? by Nobody: 6:33pm On Apr 07, 2012
Logic Mind:

why did your great grand father not ask these questions?

is that a reason why he shouldnt ask?
Re: Did Jesus Die On A Friday? by dekung(m): 6:58pm On Apr 07, 2012

Check Matthew 27:61-66, Mark 16:41-47, Luke 23:53-56 and John 19:30-42. I hope these would help
Re: Did Jesus Die On A Friday? by dekung(m): 7:02pm On Apr 07, 2012

Re: Did Jesus Die On A Friday? by dekung(m): 7:36pm On Apr 07, 2012
yommy2sure: Sabbath was not sunday originally. Sunday was use as a day to worship the pegan sun-god, it was the emperor constantain wen he accepted christianity that tried to unite christianity with the pegan religeon of those days hence sabath was moved to sunday to worship the sun-of-God instead of the sun-god, hence the name sun-day. Jesus did not die on a friday! And the apostles who founded or established christianity did not celebrate easter, christmas, new year...these are all pegan celebrations infused into xtianity. The original celebrations in the old and new testament are passover, feast of the terbanacles etc. U can google some of the truth behind this things and read up for yourself!
We would need some citation or source reference for this especially the spot at which you claimed Jesus did not die on a friday. Was it in google,wiki or yahoo answers you got the info from. Kindly quote your source, thank you?
Re: Did Jesus Die On A Friday? by amor4ce(m): 3:48am On Apr 08, 2012
Whymee:

Complete sets of confused human being, twisting to suit his ignorance.
Did you check the meaning of crucify in your google friend, was the nailing to cross on Wednesday or Friday, now I know we have two sabbath day in a week in jewish tradition, na waoo

Conventional and special, which group of sabbath is Sunday, that you've converted as sabbath and keep Holy.

Hear, they hear not,
See, they seek not.

Haven't you read Leviticus 23 concerning the established feasts, including the Sabbaths? You still have time to apologize accordingly.
Re: Did Jesus Die On A Friday? by LogicMind: 9:08am On Apr 08, 2012
Imanuelle:

is that a reason why he shouldnt ask?

no, he has every right to ask.

however my question is still valid so if you can help him enlighten us that will be appreciated.
Re: Did Jesus Die On A Friday? by Image123(m): 1:04pm On Apr 08, 2012
oloriooko: @ image123

do not just believe everything thrown at you cos that was how you grew up to meet them.

try finding out not to argue but to learn and be better.
It was not thrown at me fortunately, it's scriptural truth. Anyways, i understand your challenge. Your challenge is marrying this passage with your level of education.

Matthew 12:40 For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.
Next time, at least ask your pastor, or read a good commentary or something. you should learn better that way, not here on nl, where many are charged to sweep you off your feet. When He says "three days and three nights", it's a popular maxim kindof. it's similar to when you tell me "i'm coming", meanwhile, you're actually going. Or it's like in yoruba, you people say "it's been 3 days", while in reality, it might refer to a month or more. When He said 3days and 3nights, the people that heard Him knew exactly what He meant, and other scriptures prove what He meant. Jesus Himself said in other scriptures that He would rise on the third day, not after three days and three nights. After three days and three nights would be the fourth day.
Mat 27:63 Saying, Sir, we remember that that deceiver said, while he was yet alive, After three days I will rise again.
Mat 27:64 Command therefore that the sepulcher be made sure until the third day, lest his disciples come by night, and steal him away, and say unto the people, He is risen from the dead: so the last error shall be worse than the first.
Re: Did Jesus Die On A Friday? by oloriooko(m): 4:35pm On Apr 08, 2012
@ image123

Your challenge is marrying this passage with your level of education.
do you need to be a prof to know this? am sure you are one of the jambites that just got admission into one backyard school.
what level of education do you possess to become an expert in this matter?
shocked shocked shocked

When He says "three days and three nights", it's a popular maxim kindof. it's similar to when you tell me "i'm coming", meanwhile, you're actually going. Or it's like in yoruba, you people say "it's been 3 days", while in reality, it might refer to a month or more.
shocked
dude you are very confused and an "omomo" in this scripture interpretation thing.
please if you do not have anything intelligent to share, kindly zip up your buccal cavity lipsrsealed

dude wake up, you are failing simple arithmetic here at your age! sorry ooooo
Re: Did Jesus Die On A Friday? by Image123(m): 5:07pm On Apr 08, 2012
^
When i said that your challenge is marrying that passage with your education, it's been confirmed that i wasn't wrong. I didn't say that your education is low, either the devil or your imaginations are playing a fast one on you. On the contrary, i've said that many people here are too educated, not uneducated. You're the don na, you're even sure i'm a jambite. What's remaining now is for you to publish my jamb scores, please don't please i'm begging please don.

(1) (2) (Reply)

A 78 Year Old Man Has Since The 80s Being Building A Dooms Day Shelter. (photo) / Big Issue!Why Didn't Redemption Stop Women's Childbirth Pain Caused By Eve? / What Is It With Everyone And Jehovah's Witnesses?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.