Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,824 members, 7,820,901 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:17 AM

Did Jesus Die On A Friday? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Did Jesus Die On A Friday? (2349 Views)

Did Jesus Die For His Sin Or Cluelessness? / Pastor Adeboye Was Afraid To Die On Nigeria Airways Flight / Why Did Jesus Die (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Did Jesus Die On A Friday? by OmoPastor(m): 5:11pm On Apr 08, 2012
@ image123

on your last post:
content = zero

comment relative to original post = rubbish
Re: Did Jesus Die On A Friday? by amor4ce(m): 12:05am On Apr 09, 2012
A full day consists of evening + daytime (6pm to 6pm), not midnight to midnight. At the 6th hour of ojo Eti (preparation day / day before Sabbath) or 12 noon of friday the Redeemer stopped breathing at which point there was a solar eclipse - my understanding.
Re: Did Jesus Die On A Friday? by Image123(m): 12:25am On Apr 09, 2012
As a finish on the post where i was making some explanations on the popular maxim, not a literal expression, i quoted
Mat 27:63 Saying, Sir, we remember that that deceiver said, while he was yet alive, After three days I will rise again.
Mat 27:64 Command therefore that the sepulcher be made sure until the third day, lest his disciples come by night, and steal him away, and say unto the people, He is risen from the dead: so the last error shall be worse than the first.

It's clear that the oriental listeners of Jesus understood Him clearly, else they'd be looking for the fourth day as that 4th would be the day after three days/ three days and three nights. i'll add two more scriptures, sorry three

Luk 24:20 And how the chief priests and our rulers delivered him to be condemned to death, and have crucified him.
Luk 24:21 But we trusted that it had been he which should have redeemed Israel: and beside all this, today is the third day since these things were done.

This passage speaks of an account after Christ's resurrection, when Christ appeared to two of His disciples on their way to Emmaus that same day. They said "today is the third day". This statement can only be true if Jesus died on Friday and rose on Sunday. Like when we resume school and talk of the first day of resumption, or second year of operations. We know where we start the initial counting. Jesus died on Friday which is the first day. Second day is the Sabbath. third day is Sunday. It's so clear and simple i'm amazed. Too simple for our jetage perhaps.

Esther 4:16 Go, gather together all the Jews that are present in Shushan, and fast ye for me, and neither eat nor drink three days, night or day: I also and my maidens will fast likewise; and so will I go in unto the king, which is not according to the law: and if I perish, I perish.
It's the same maxim used here by Queen Esther, three days and three nights. If i told you like Esther to fast for me starting tomorrow, first day would be Monday, second day would be tuesday, and third day would be Wednessday, then Thursday the fourth day, i'll see the king. That's the calculation we're making on the thread, right? But the Jews understood it different.

Esther 5:1 Now it came to pass on the third day, that Esther put on her royal apparel, and stood in the inner court of the king's house, over against the king's house: and the king sat upon his royal throne in the royal house, over against the gate of the house.
Esther got up the THIRD DAY, not the fourth day, after the 3days and nights literally said.
Finally
2Chronicles 10:5 And he said unto them, Come again unto me after three days. And the people departed.
"After three days, He rose from death. I've never seen a man who rose from death like Jesus Christ". No surprise, me sef sabi the song. After three days to many of us would be the fourth day i.e when three days have passed. but to these guys, the understood it different. It was a common mode of expression. (like when we do eighth day for babies. Eighth day is seven days away from that day, not eight days away).

2Chronicles 10:12 So Jeroboam and ALL THE PEOPLE came to Rehoboam on the third day, as the king bade, saying, Come again to me on the third day.
You see what all the people did? Come again to me on the third day is equated to come again unto me after three days. This is simple understanding of other people and their cultures and way of life. I don't know why some(especially atheists here) are labelling this as a religion thing. Some are just going overboard on it like that's where their faith hangs on. well, i've tried and taken time to see how to break it down, rest is up to you yourself. if Jesus like, let Him rise one hour after death or one year, i really do not care, all my care is that He died for me and saved me from sin and satan, and was raised again for me to live and die no more.
Re: Did Jesus Die On A Friday? by Kobojunkie: 3:25pm On May 03, 2023
oloriooko:
■ If Jesus actually died on a Friday as believed by many people then He couldn't have risen on Sunday morning if He did spend three days in the grave!!! Did Jesus actually die on a Friday or the day imposed on believers?
■ I think Jesus died on a Wednesday then it should be called a good Wednesday undecided undecided undecided
1. If you were to carefully compiled the accounts of the 4 Gospels you would find instead that Jesus Christ died on The First day of the Festival of Unleavened Bread, which fell on a Thursday that year, and was hanging on the cross until almost the evening of the next day, Friday, when He was then buried. undecided

2. The Wednesday before the day He was killed was the Passover. By the way, Jesus Christ never asked anyone to celebrate His death so those who do so using His name do so in idolatry. undecided
Re: Did Jesus Die On A Friday? by Kobojunkie: 7:12pm On May 07, 2023
Fhemmmy:
Is it about the day He died or what He did that matters?
Interestingly the day he dies factors when computing the validity of the claim he made as regards his time in the grave. undecided
Re: Did Jesus Die On A Friday? by Kobojunkie: 10:45pm On May 08, 2023
5solas:
■ Image, try to get the point of the OP. Take any time on friday to be the time of death, say 8.00am ; saturday by 8.00am is the end of the first day; sunday by 8.00am is second day ; this leaves monday by 8.00am to be the third day. I get your point . In the light of my post above, try good thursday! grin . I also need to understand this point. It doesn't bother me though.
OP is not far off at all! Jesus Christ didn't in fact die on a Friday, and none of the Gospels in fact state that He did. undecided
Re: Did Jesus Die On A Friday? by Kobojunkiee: 9:16pm On May 11, 2023
Goshen360:
It should bother us anyway. The reason is that, if it doesn't bother us, we will be following some kind of religious activities that is not part of the apostolic teachings. I have not considered this myself but something inside me tells me its all religious nonsense. This will propel me to do my study on this subject though. I speak for myself though.
So, did you study the subject? undecided
Re: Did Jesus Die On A Friday? by Kobojunkie: 9:35pm On May 13, 2023
amor4ce:
In Christianity today lawlessness abounds as the Sabbath is profaned with glee, even with many saying TGIF in preparation for play.
The religion of Christianity is founded on the doctrines and traditions of men, lies which Jesus Christ warned His followers to steer clear of. undecided

Also, the law of the Sabbath given by Jesus Christ to His followers is that every day is a Sabbath, a Holy day, as opposed to the Old Covenant Law of one sabbath each week. undecided
Re: Did Jesus Die On A Friday? by Kobojunkie: 2:58am On May 20, 2023
Whymee:
■ Am interested in this post, The prophecy said, HE WILL DIE FOR THREE DAYS AND THREE NIGHTS, from Friday evening to Sunday morning, I don't get it. No doubt this should be one of the many further mathematics expression in the bible that is being forced on us to believe.
It is actually written that he was in the grave for 3 days and 3 nights in Scripture, undecided
Re: Did Jesus Die On A Friday? by Kobojunkie: 2:04am On May 23, 2023
oloriooko:
if some agree that Jesus was not crucified on friday, then who invented this good friday stuff and why?
even though i do not observe most of the celebrations simply cos they are not biblically established yet i want to know who and why these celebrations are in our calendar?
You should be able to trace it at least as far back as the Catholic church, the mother church of all your churches. undecided

(1) (2) (Reply)

Https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-nwkd9lazw&feature=share / What Is It With Everyone And Jehovah's Witnesses? / Foolishness Of Building Big Churches - Are You Of The Real Church Or The Fake ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.