Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,396 members, 7,830,010 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 02:57 PM

Where Is God In Our Everyday Lives? - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Where Is God In Our Everyday Lives? (12039 Views)

Describe GOD In One Word / Higher Everyday — Learning: Route To Greatness - 2 / The Fifth Kingdom(of God) In The Bible Prophecy Of The Book "DANIEL 2" Is Islam! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Where Is God In Our Everyday Lives? by emmatok(m): 4:28pm On Apr 11, 2012
logicboy:

To whom do the Buddhists pray to? Who is their God? You keep failing!

The quote below does not mean that they follow the religion, it just means that their family comes from a buddhist or shinto background

"Figures that state 84% to 96% of Japanese adhere to Shinto and Buddhism are not based on self-identification but come primarily from birth records, following a longstanding practice of officially associating a family line with a local Buddhist temple or Shinto shrine."

Did you miss this quote below?

About 70 percent of Japanese profess no religious membership,[7][8] according to Johnstone (1993:323), 84% of the Japanese claim no personal religion. In census questionnaires, less than 15 percent reported any formal religious affiliation by 2000.[9] And according to Demerath (2001:138), 64% do not believe in God, and 55% do not believe in Buddha

Do Buddhists believe in gods, deities, spirits, angels=YES

Do they meditate =YES

They have temples =YES

Are they religious =YES

There are estimated to be about 100000 shrines in Japan, what do you think they do there.

That the Japanese profess no religious membership dose not mean that they do not practise it.

Because it is part of there culture.
Re: Where Is God In Our Everyday Lives? by emmatok(m): 4:35pm On Apr 11, 2012
About 90 million people in Japan claim to be Buddhist practitioners and/or believers,[2][3] or about 70% of the population

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhism_in_Japan

Funerals in Japan

Main article: Japanese funeral
Religious thought among the Japanese people is generally a blend of Shintō and Buddhist beliefs. In modern practice, specific rites concerning an individual's passage through life are generally ascribed to one of these two faiths. Funerals and follow-up memorial services fall under the purview of Buddhist ritual, and 90% Japanese funerals are conducted in a Buddhist manner. Aside from the religious aspect, a Japanese funeral usually includes a wake, the cremation of the deceased, and inclusion within the family grave. Follow-up services are then performed by a Buddhist priest on specific anniversaries after death.
According to one estimate made in 2005, 99.82% of all deceased Japanese are cremated.[3] In most of these cases, the cremated remains are placed in an urn and then deposited in a family grave. In recent years however, alternative methods of burial have gained in popularity; such methods include scattering of the ashes, burial in outer space, and conversion of the cremated remains into a diamond that can be set in jewelry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Funeral
Re: Where Is God In Our Everyday Lives? by logicboy: 4:40pm On Apr 11, 2012
emmatok:

Do Buddhists believe in gods, deities, spirits, angels=YES

Do they meditate =YES

They have temples =YES

Are they religious =YES

There are estimated to be about 100000 shrines in Japan, what do you think they do there.

That the Japanese profess no religious membership dose not mean that they do not practise it.

Because it is part of there culture.

What is the name of the god that buddhists believe in? Buddhists dont believe in a God.

Does meditation equal prayer?

10000 shrines for less than 40% of the population who are religious. Did you not do maths?

What do you know about Japanese culture? Have you been to Japan? Have you ever had a Japanese girlfriend? I have, have you? Shintoism is part of their culture just as juju is part of Nigerian culture. Ho wmany juju practictioners do you know?

Your quote below is the most stupid thing I have seen today. If someone doesnt profess any religion, why would he/she practice a religion?

"That the Japanese profess no religious membership dose not mean that they do not practise it."
Re: Where Is God In Our Everyday Lives? by logicboy: 4:48pm On Apr 11, 2012
Wow.....so you even try to remix it through the funeral route.

How do we bury people in Nigeria mostly? Tradtionally. In my tradition, we would first go to the familys house for a meeting, then build a house for the burial and then, during the burial we will dance and sing local songs. We then bury the dead guy in the house. This is all based on our tradtional religion and not christianity or islam which are the major relgion. Does that mean that most Nigerians are traditionalists? Same goes for the Japanese brurial and bhuddism

You fail, try again
Re: Where Is God In Our Everyday Lives? by emmatok(m): 4:56pm On Apr 11, 2012
logicboy:

What is the name of the god that buddhists believe in? Buddhists dont believe in a God.

10000 shrines for less than 40% of the population who are religious. Did you not do maths?

What do you know about Japanese culture? Have you been to Japan? Have you ever had a Japanese girlfriend? I have, have you? Shintoism is part of their culture just as juju is part of Nigerian culture. Ho wmany juju practictioners do you know?

Your quote below is the most stupid thing I have seen today. If someone doesnt profess any religion, why would he/she practice a religion?

"That the Japanese profess no religious membership dose not mean that they do not practise it."

See how you reason,

Do Christians and Muslims who go to BABALWO or OKIJA-Shrine for one reason or the other Profess membership=NO

Most people who attend cultural festival , Osun, Eyo, etc do not profess membership, but they practise and participate it.

Because it is part of culture.
Re: Where Is God In Our Everyday Lives? by emmatok(m): 5:02pm On Apr 11, 2012
logicboy: Wow.....so you even try to remix it through the funeral route.

How do we bury people in Nigeria mostly? Tradtionally. In my tradition, we would first go to the familys house for a meeting, then build a house for the burial and then, during the burial we will dance and sing local songs. We then bury the dead guy in the house. This is all based on our tradtional religion and not christianity or islam which are the major relgion. Does that mean that most Nigerians are traditionalists? Same goes for the Japanese brurial and bhuddism

You fail, try again

I thought you are LOGICAL.

Now you see can practice a religion without being a member.
Re: Where Is God In Our Everyday Lives? by logicboy: 5:05pm On Apr 11, 2012
emmatok:

See how you reason,

Do Christians and Muslims who go to BABALWO or OKIJA-Shrine for one reason or the other Profess membership=NO

Most people who attend cultural festival , Osun, Eyo, etc do not profess membership, but they practise and participate it.

Because it is part of culture.

1) What kind of christian goes to a babalawo?

2) You answered your question....there is a difference between doing something for a religion and doing something as culture
Re: Where Is God In Our Everyday Lives? by emmatok(m): 5:08pm On Apr 11, 2012
logicboy:

Now you don't even now about Buddhism.

Buddhist believe in gods, deities, spirits, angels.
Re: Where Is God In Our Everyday Lives? by emmatok(m): 5:17pm On Apr 11, 2012
logicboy:

1) What kind of christian goes to a babalawo?

Most politicians who Profess Christianity and Islam visit babalawos and okija-shrine.

But they are not members. undecided undecided undecided undecided

2) You answered your question....there is a difference between doing something for a religion and doing something as culture

And that is my point about the Japanese culture.

They go to shrines, meditate and pray to deities.

Goodbye,
Re: Where Is God In Our Everyday Lives? by logicboy: 5:31pm On Apr 11, 2012
emmatok:

Most politicians who Profess Christianity and Islam visit babalawos and okija-shrine.

And that is my point about the Japanese culture.

They go to shrines, meditate and pray to deities.

Goodbye,

You have finally given up on your epic fails
Re: Where Is God In Our Everyday Lives? by Idango(m): 6:35pm On Apr 11, 2012
When i see a man who say there is no God, the only thing i feel for you is pity.
Re: Where Is God In Our Everyday Lives? by logicboy: 6:43pm On Apr 11, 2012
Idango: When i see a man who say there is no God, the only thing i feel for you is pity.

Atheists pity you as well. Living in fear of a God that has never spoken to you,that hardly answers your prayers and that you have never seen.
Re: Where Is God In Our Everyday Lives? by Idango(m): 6:55pm On Apr 11, 2012
That is where you are wrong, God answers prayers, i have prayed and received answers to prayer. i have received divine healing from God. God showed me the job he prepared for me when i was in school and as i came out i got that same job. Who told you he doesnt talk or answer prayers and i communicate with him everyday.
Re: Where Is God In Our Everyday Lives? by Idango(m): 6:57pm On Apr 11, 2012
My friend when you will discover there is God , it will be too late for you. You just have to do a "u" turn now while you have time.
Re: Where Is God In Our Everyday Lives? by logicboy: 7:25pm On Apr 11, 2012
Idango: That is where you are wrong, God answers prayers, i have prayed and received answers to prayer. i have received divine healing from God. God showed me the job he prepared for me when i was in school and as i came out i got that same job. Who told you he doesnt talk or answer prayers and i communicate with him everyday.

Sharap there! grin divine healing my foot! Get your leg amputated and I would like to see if God would regenerate it back for you.

Oh, you got a job from God? The other people that were qualified but didnt get your job didnt pray? Or what about the other 99% of things you prayed for, how many were answered?

How did God show you your job, did he appear to you? How does God look like? Howdoes his voice sound? Does he have a yoruba or british accent?
Re: Where Is God In Our Everyday Lives? by Idango(m): 7:58pm On Apr 11, 2012
logicboy:

Sharap there! grin divine healing my foot! Get your leg amputated and I would like to see if God would regenerate it back for you.

Oh, you got a job from God? The other people that were qualified but didnt get your job didnt pray? Or what about the other 99% of things you prayed for, how many were answered?

How did God show you your job, did he appear to you? How does God look like? Howdoes his voice sound? Does he have a yoruba or british accent?

You see the bible told me that " as many as receive him (jesus) he give them the power to become the sons of God" . If you receive him you receive the power to be a son of God and he talks with you and show you things.

Do you know there is nothing that happens to me, that he has not spoken to me about or shown me before hand? because i am a son of God . You cannot be an atheist and want to know how God works or speak to people. Come to him and be his child, he will show you great things which you dont know. Dont remain in your lab trying to figure out whether he exist or not, he reveals himself to his children not to atheists.
Re: Where Is God In Our Everyday Lives? by logicboy: 8:15pm On Apr 11, 2012
Idango:

You see the bible told me that " as many as receive him (jesus) he give them the power to become the sons of God" . If you receive him you receive the power to be a son of God and he talks with you and show you things.

Do you know there is nothing that happens to me, that he has not spoken to me about or shown me before hand? because i am a son of God . You cannot be an atheist and want to know how God works or speak to people. Come to him and be his child, he will show you great things which you dont know. Dont remain in your lab trying to figure out whether he exist or not, he reveals himself to his children not to atheists.

lmao......you are not alright
Re: Where Is God In Our Everyday Lives? by Idango(m): 8:20pm On Apr 11, 2012
@Logicboy,
You are taking a very dangerous risk with your life. Your stance against God is the greatest mistake (or miscalculation ) of your life.
Re: Where Is God In Our Everyday Lives? by logicboy: 8:21pm On Apr 11, 2012
Idango: @Logicboy,
You are taking a very dangerous risk with your life. Your stance against God is the greatest mistake (or miscalculation ) of your life.

Tell that to countries that are atheist and are prospering. While most religious countries are in turmoil.
Re: Where Is God In Our Everyday Lives? by Idango(m): 8:25pm On Apr 11, 2012
logicboy:

lmao......you are not alright

You are right, a beleiver in Jesus is not an ordinary person because he a child of God. His DNA is different. Some people have experience God live while others are still wandering whether there is God or not. My friend, dont be a Fool.
Re: Where Is God In Our Everyday Lives? by Idango(m): 8:34pm On Apr 11, 2012
logicboy:

Tell that to countries that are atheist and are prospering. While most religious countries are in turmoil.

You see your problem , you base your judgement on material prosperity.

When you say there is no God or the devil , the devil is very happy with you and will do anything to ensure you maintain that opinion, because he knows you are going to hell, he ensure you dont encounter anything that will make you seek God. He will be very very happy if you maintain that stance until you die and then you become his own, that is why it seems you are prospering when you say there is no God. The devil will not want anything to make you look for God and he is guiding you like that untill you go to hell and many of you are falling for his trap and using people who are supposedly prospering as your role model.

Come out of that trap
Re: Where Is God In Our Everyday Lives? by Image123(m): 9:50pm On Apr 11, 2012
It's like rejoicing about scoring a goal. Believers are going to win the league. Think big.
Re: Where Is God In Our Everyday Lives? by logicboy: 10:09pm On Apr 11, 2012
Image123: It's like rejoicing about scoring a goal. Believers are going to win the league. Think big.

Nothin for u believers
Re: Where Is God In Our Everyday Lives? by Image123(m): 11:13pm On Apr 11, 2012
^eternal damnation for unbelievers.
Re: Where Is God In Our Everyday Lives? by Ogaga4Luv(m): 11:18pm On Apr 11, 2012
[size=13pt][sup]GOD that doesn't exist u want to force people to believe in him? that is too funny believers really need to upgrade so many things in their life before it runs late! grin grin[/s[/size]up]
Re: Where Is God In Our Everyday Lives? by emmatok(m): 10:56am On Apr 12, 2012
logicboy:

You keep deluding yourselves.

Name the prospering atheist countries.
Re: Where Is God In Our Everyday Lives? by logicboy: 12:15pm On Apr 12, 2012
emmatok:

You keep deluding yourselves.

Name the prospering atheist countries.

top 10 most peaceful countries;

1)Iceland- 11% atheist
2)New Zealand- 34% atheist (48% no religion)
3)Japan- 64% atheist
4)Denmark- 19% atheist
5)Czech Republic- 30% atheist
6)Austria- 8% atheist
7)Luxembourg- 22% atheist
coolFinland- 16% atheist (According to Zuckerman (2005),[12] 28-60% of Finns are agnostics, atheists, or non-believers)
9)Canada- 14% atheist
10)Norway- 17% atheist (Phil Zuckerman, an Associate Professor of Sociology at Pitzer College estimates atheism rates in Norway as ranging from 31 to 72%)

Bottom 12;

Nigeria- (12th from behind) 2% irreligous, less than 1% atheist
Libya- 12% irreligious
Central African republic- 1% irreligious
Isreal- 54% irreligious
pakistan- 4% irreligious
Russia- 59% irreligious
DR of congo- 5% irreligious
North Korea- ?
Afghanistan- 3% irreligious
Sudan- 9% irreligious
Iraq-15%
Somalia-??

Note that irreligion is atheist + agnostic + deism + non-belief
Re: Where Is God In Our Everyday Lives? by Olisa74(m): 1:07pm On Apr 12, 2012
Idango:

You dont know what happen when you die, you just assume that you cease to exist. And you are taking such a heavy risk with your life making assumption?
First you assume there is no God,
then you assume the earth and human just came on their own and begin to evolve and
then you assume that when you die, you just close your eyes and everything ceases.
You are deluded.
Just retrace your step now and come to God before it is too late.

This argument is best known as Pascal's Wager.
The problem with this line of reasoning is that there are thousands of gods that humans have imagined. A person who believes in Allah can make this statement, and so can a person who believes in God, and so can a person who believes in Vishnu. This multitude of fictional beings shows the silliness of the argument. There is no way to know which god to choose, because there is no evidence whatsoever indicating that any of them exist.

The fact is that religion is delusion. All human gods are imaginary. By believing in an imaginary god, a believer has not "lost nothing." Believers commit themselves to a lifetime of delusion, instead of commiting their lives to reality.

Non-believers, in contrast, live moral and loving lives without having to resort to delusion. Non-believers are normal human beings who embrace reality rather than delusion. As a result, they live much healthier lives.

The fact that there are so many gods proves that all of these gods are imaginary. If there actually were an all-knowing, all-powerful, all-loving "god" in any form, he would be obvious to everyone and we would all align on him. His existence would be undeniable and impossible to hide.
Re: Where Is God In Our Everyday Lives? by Nobody: 1:14pm On Apr 12, 2012
Have this picture and think deeply, you so-called religious bigots.

Re: Where Is God In Our Everyday Lives? by emmatok(m): 1:47pm On Apr 12, 2012
logicboy:

top 10 most peaceful countries;

1)Iceland- 11% atheist
2)New Zealand- 34% atheist (48% no religion)
3)Japan- 64% atheist
4)Denmark- 19% atheist
5)Czech Republic- 30% atheist
6)Austria- 8% atheist
7)Luxembourg- 22% atheist
coolFinland- 16% atheist (According to Zuckerman (2005),[12] 28-60% of Finns are agnostics, atheists, or non-believers)
9)Canada- 14% atheist
10)Norway- 17% atheist (Phil Zuckerman, an Associate Professor of Sociology at Pitzer College estimates atheism rates in Norway as ranging from 31 to 72%)

Bottom 12;

Nigeria- (12th from behind) 2% irreligous, less than 1% atheist
Libya- 12% irreligious
Central African republic- 1% irreligious
Isreal- 54% irreligious
pakistan- 4% irreligious
Russia- 59% irreligious
DR of congo- 5% irreligious
North Korea- ?
Afghanistan- 3% irreligious
Sudan- 9% irreligious
Iraq-15%
Somalia-??

Note that irreligion is atheist + agnostic + deism + non-belief

Japan is a Shintoist nation with lots of Buddhism notably Zen.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/shinto/history/nationalism_1.shtml

The demographics of atheism are difficult to quantify. Different people interpret atheism and related terms differently, and it can be hard to draw boundaries between atheism, nonreligious beliefs, and nontheistic religious and spiritual beliefs. Furthermore, atheists may not report themselves as such, to prevent suffering from social stigma, discrimination, and persecution in some countries.[1]
Research by Doctor Professor Luke Galen suggests that atheists may be more likely to be less agreeable, but also more open minded compared to religious populations.[2][3]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_atheism

For example, a Canadian poll released September 12, 2011 sampled 1,129 Canadian adults and came up with some interesting unrelated data on the numbers of declared atheists[6]. These numbers do not jibe with the latest Canadian census data that pre-determined that a religious affiliation predisposed a belief in a deity and was based on a poorly worded question. A quote from the study:
The data also revealed some interesting facts about Canadians beliefs:
A majority (53%) of Canadians believe in God. What is of particular interest is that 28% of Protestants, 33% of Catholics, and 23% of those who attend weekly religious services do not.
One quarter (23%) of those with no religious identity still believe in God." [7]
Re: Where Is God In Our Everyday Lives? by LogicMind: 1:51pm On Apr 12, 2012
enitan2002: Have this picture and think deeply, you so-called religious bigots.

and that is only one of billions of other galaxies
Re: Where Is God In Our Everyday Lives? by logicboy: 2:14pm On Apr 12, 2012
emmatok:

Japan is a Shintoist nation with lots of Buddhism notably Zen.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/shinto/history/nationalism_1.shtml

What is your point?

Fact remains that 64% of Japanese say that there is no god. Atheism is even present in buddhism but someone like you wouldnt know

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

No Superior Religion In Nigeria — CAN, NSCIA / Attention!!! Strictly For Christians!! / How Many Times Do They Collect Tithes And Offering In Your Church?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.