Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,139 members, 7,818,432 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:30 PM

Post Civil-war Reconstruction In Eastern Nigeria: Was there any? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Post Civil-war Reconstruction In Eastern Nigeria: Was there any? (6539 Views)

Senator Akpabio On Biafra – Asks Why Post War Reconstruction Began In The West / Amechi's AIT Interview On Focus Nigeria Was A Shame! / Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Post Civil-war Reconstruction In Eastern Nigeria: Was there any? by Afam4eva(m): 3:55pm On Apr 06, 2012
I know this is the common practice everywhere. I want to know if some kind of retribution was given to the easterner in order to rebuild what they lost in the war.

1 Like

Re: Post Civil-war Reconstruction In Eastern Nigeria: Was there any? by Nobody: 4:03pm On Apr 06, 2012
my friend go and rest, because igbos were crushed to submission nigeria no go hear word again
Re: Post Civil-war Reconstruction In Eastern Nigeria: Was there any? by Afam4eva(m): 4:06pm On Apr 06, 2012
It's obvious you don't have anything to meaningful to contribute. Just disappear and give sensible people the space to air their opinion.
Re: Post Civil-war Reconstruction In Eastern Nigeria: Was there any? by Nnenna1(f): 4:07pm On Apr 06, 2012
In Africa, most rules go out of the window.

Would throw a bone and say no. *shrugs*
Re: Post Civil-war Reconstruction In Eastern Nigeria: Was there any? by aljharem(m): 4:10pm On Apr 06, 2012
Yes there was.

Cocoa money from the west was used to give Igbos back 20 pounds to get their lifes together

Also houses and were given back to them,

That was one of the major project Gowon did for the Igbos

I would bring out links to support my claims Now
Re: Post Civil-war Reconstruction In Eastern Nigeria: Was there any? by ektbear: 4:10pm On Apr 06, 2012
"Common practice everywhere."

Citation?

The US tried to have reconstruction in the south after the civil war, but arguably didn't do a very good job.

Germany was not rebuilt after WW1 by the allies..

US rebuilt Europe after WW2.

But in general, I am not sure that this is "common practice everywhere."
Re: Post Civil-war Reconstruction In Eastern Nigeria: Was there any? by Nobody: 4:11pm On Apr 06, 2012
afam4eva: It's obvious you don't have anything to meaningful to contribute. Just disappear and give sensible people the space to air their opinion.
"what does nigeria owe rouges" should have been your question
Re: Post Civil-war Reconstruction In Eastern Nigeria: Was there any? by Afam4eva(m): 4:14pm On Apr 06, 2012
alj harem: Yes there was.

Cocoa money from the west was used to give Igbos back 20 pounds to get their lifes together

Also houses and were given back to them,

That was one of the major project Gowon did for the Igbos

I would bring out links to support my claims Now

How can Awolowo use cocoa money to give Igbos 20 pounds when he was the finance minister of Nigeria and not the premier of western Nigeria. Btw, why did the Igbos tat owned millions in Nigerian banks not given back their money.

Which houses w ere given back to them? They one they built with their money or a new one. I don't get.

Please, i'm waiting for links to support your claims.
Re: Post Civil-war Reconstruction In Eastern Nigeria: Was there any? by aljharem(m): 4:18pm On Apr 06, 2012
- Provision of job

- Gowon set up SNDP (second national development plan) worth 1602 million Nigerian pounds

- Industries like Nkalagu cement, Asaba textile industry etc

Transportation spent was - 205.7 million pounds

Education - 117.3 million pounds

etc

Here is how the money was spent

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=BL5JFkiS4hEC&pg=PA86&dq=post+war+reconstruction+biafra&hl=en&sa=X&ei=qQd_T_jkM8eY1AWFje2ABw&ved=0CDQQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=post%20war%20reconstruction%20biafra&f=false
Re: Post Civil-war Reconstruction In Eastern Nigeria: Was there any? by aljharem(m): 4:23pm On Apr 06, 2012
afam4eva:

How can Awolowo use cocoa money to give Igbos 20 pounds when he was the finance minister of Nigeria and not the premier of western Nigeria. Btw, why did the Igbos tat owned millions in Nigerian banks not given back their money.

Which houses w ere given back to them? They one they built with their money or a new one. I don't get.

Please, i'm waiting for links to support your claims.

Technically baifrans had Zero money in the banks and you know that. All baifrans had either converted their money to baifran note or redrew everything before the actual war.

Also Baifra even stole money from Nigeria central bank.

There were not a lot of Igbos that had money in Nigerian banks

Those that did I am sure only a few had more than 20 pounds

The Igbos that remained in Nigeria did not have to go through all that.

20 pounds policy was not Igbo money and you know that !!!

Imgine giving 20 pounds to millions of Igbos.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

House that they built yes, was the same gesture done in the South-south ? Yes or No

Moreover were Germans give back their houses ? Yes or No
Re: Post Civil-war Reconstruction In Eastern Nigeria: Was there any? by Afam4eva(m): 4:30pm On Apr 06, 2012
alj harem: - Provision of job

- Gowon set up SNDP (second national development plan) worth 1602 million Nigerian pounds

- Industries like Nkalagu cement, Asaba textile industry etc

Transportation spent was - 205.7 million pounds

Education - 117.3 million pounds

etc

Here is how the money was spent

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=BL5JFkiS4hEC&pg=PA86&dq=post+war+reconstruction+biafra&hl=en&sa=X&ei=qQd_T_jkM8eY1AWFje2ABw&ved=0CDQQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=post%20war%20reconstruction%20biafra&f=false

Provision of Jobs? Were this jobs limited to only easterners?

Was SNDP for eastern Nigeria alone?

Was it only in Nkalagu that a factory was created? Factories were created throughout the federation.

Which one be Education? Abeg no make me laugh.
Re: Post Civil-war Reconstruction In Eastern Nigeria: Was there any? by aljharem(m): 4:36pm On Apr 06, 2012
afam4eva:

Provision of Jobs? Were this jobs limited to only easterners?

Was SNDP for eastern Nigeria alone?

Was it only in Nkalagu that a factory was created? Factories were created throughout the federation.

Which one be Education? Abeg no make me laugh.

You asked for Post Civil-War Reconstruction and I provided it. Why Eastern Nigerian alone ?? Was it only eastern Nigeria that face the war ? If I remember quite correctly it was the mid-west and the west that faced it as well

Although more focus as YOU COULD SEE FROM THE LINK was on eastern Nigeria.

On east central states alone (Today's SE) 800 million pounds was spent on facilities and structures
Re: Post Civil-war Reconstruction In Eastern Nigeria: Was there any? by aljharem(m): 4:38pm On Apr 06, 2012
Afam take your time to read the link
Re: Post Civil-war Reconstruction In Eastern Nigeria: Was there any? by Afam4eva(m): 4:39pm On Apr 06, 2012
alj harem:

You asked for Post Civil-War Reconstruction and I provided it. Why Eastern Nigerian alone ?? Was it only eastern Nigeria that face the war ? If I remember quite correctly it was the mid-west and the west that faced it as well

Although more focus as YOU COULD SEE FROM THE LINK was on eastern Nigeria.

On east central states alone (Today's SE) 800 million pounds was spent on facilities and structures

The war happened in eastern Nigeria and human beings and properties were lost. From your logic, it means the 7-point agenda of yaradua was also a post-civil war recontruction. Alh_harem, biko you're smarter than this.
Re: Post Civil-war Reconstruction In Eastern Nigeria: Was there any? by Musiwa42: 4:42pm On Apr 06, 2012
afam , the igbos had no money in any nigeria bank after the civil war. most igbo people had already taken their money from nigeria banks when the war broke out.

Awolowo gave them 20 pound from nigeria money, but the north had no money ... most of them were money from yoruba people. What can 20 pound buy.

In the 70's 20 pound will buy you this car.
Re: Post Civil-war Reconstruction In Eastern Nigeria: Was there any? by aljharem(m): 4:43pm On Apr 06, 2012
afam4eva:

The war happened in eastern Nigeria and human beings and properties were lost. From your logic, it means the 7-point agenda of yaradua was also a post-civil war recontruction. Alh_harem, biko you're smarter than this.

Haba did you read the link ? Yes or No
Re: Post Civil-war Reconstruction In Eastern Nigeria: Was there any? by aljharem(m): 4:44pm On Apr 06, 2012
Musiwa,.:
afam , the igbos had no money in any nigeria bank after the civil war. most igbo people had already taken their money from nigeria banks when the war broke out.

Awolowo gave them 20 pound from nigeria money, but the north had no money ... most of them were money from yoruba people. What can 20 pound buy.

In the 70's 20 pound will buy you this car.

Are you minding Afam and co, when they hear 20 pounds, they think of the current 20 pounds now
Re: Post Civil-war Reconstruction In Eastern Nigeria: Was there any? by Afam4eva(m): 4:45pm On Apr 06, 2012
Musiwa,.:

Do you have any proof of the bolded?
Re: Post Civil-war Reconstruction In Eastern Nigeria: Was there any? by Musiwa42: 4:47pm On Apr 06, 2012
nigeria did
Re: Post Civil-war Reconstruction In Eastern Nigeria: Was there any? by aljharem(m): 4:50pm On Apr 06, 2012
afam4eva:

Did you have any proof to suggest they had money in Nigerian banks yes or no ?
Re: Post Civil-war Reconstruction In Eastern Nigeria: Was there any? by Dede1(m): 4:51pm On Apr 06, 2012
afam4eva:

Do not waste your time on the deluded and loudmouthed ninnies such as torkaka, alj harem and Musiwa
Re: Post Civil-war Reconstruction In Eastern Nigeria: Was there any? by Afam4eva(m): 4:56pm On Apr 06, 2012
alj harem:

Did you have any proof to suggest they had money in Nigerian banks yes or no ?

Stop making fun of yourself. You want to tell me that every single Igbo person withdrew his money from Nigerian banks when they were running for dear lives? This is utterly ridiculous.

1 Like

Re: Post Civil-war Reconstruction In Eastern Nigeria: Was there any? by aljharem(m): 5:11pm On Apr 06, 2012
afam4eva:

Stop making fun of yourself. You want to tell me that every single Igbo person withdrew his money from Nigerian banks when they were running for dear lives? This is utterly ridiculous.

Thank you, you jsut shot yourself on the foot.

1. so their were not upto 100 Igbos that had money in Nigeria bank then, isn't that so

2. How many Igbos actually had an account ?

3. How much did those Igbos have ? because the highest paid people were teacher and they were not earning 20 pounds back then

4. How did Nigeria fund 20 pounds for every single Igbo above 18 ? A solid question Please answer
Re: Post Civil-war Reconstruction In Eastern Nigeria: Was there any? by 9jaIhail(m): 5:20pm On Apr 06, 2012
Afam my brother you have provided this alj_nama haram avenue to draw attention,hehehe this man
boy alj_nkita will never change,watch it he will channel this argument into yoruba igbo bashing.My brother Afam engage your self into something serious such as how we (Igbos) can be more productive and Industrious more than as we are now.
Re: Post Civil-war Reconstruction In Eastern Nigeria: Was there any? by nduchucks: 5:21pm On Apr 06, 2012
afam4eva: I know this is the common practice everywhere. I want to know if some kind of retribution was given to the easterner in order to rebuild what they lost in the war.

nwanne, hapu tribalism. Was the easterner the only participant in the war and was eastern region the only region where the war was fought? If you want to be taken seriously, ask why all affected people were not paid so that they can rebuild their regions.
Re: Post Civil-war Reconstruction In Eastern Nigeria: Was there any? by Afam4eva(m): 5:22pm On Apr 06, 2012
ndu_chucks:

nwanne, hapu tribalism. Was the easterner the only participant in the war and was eastern region the only region where the war was fought? If you want to be taken seriously, ask why all affected people were not paid so that they can rebuild their regions.

Did the war get to kafanchan or perhaps Zaria?

1 Like

Re: Post Civil-war Reconstruction In Eastern Nigeria: Was there any? by ow11(m): 5:23pm On Apr 06, 2012
Good Heavens!What a bunch of whiny bitter posters we have on NL. . . . embarassed

Wars have been fought throughout the ages, Countries have been destroyed and innocent lives lost but the difference between those nationals and the OP is that many have moved on.

I can even wager that the OP was born after 1970 but he is so bitter about something he never experienced and is determined to keep re-opening that wound till thy kingdom come. The Bosnian Muslims and Croats have moved on, The Tutsis have moved on after only 18 years but 42 years later someone is opening a thread asking for retribution and to moan and whine about a sad part of our national history.

@afam4eva, You need to get over this war. Discuss current national politics or something else. I still believe Nigerians will be better off if this nation divded into bits but come on, this latching onto a bloody horrible war that killed millions 42 years ago is not a way to start. angry
Re: Post Civil-war Reconstruction In Eastern Nigeria: Was there any? by aljharem(m): 5:24pm On Apr 06, 2012
9ja_I_hail: Afam my brother you have provided this alj_nama haram avenue to draw attention,hehehe this man
boy alj_nkita will never change,watch it he will channel this argument into yoruba igbo bashing.My brother Afam engage your self into something serious such as how we (Igbos) can be more productive and Industrious more than as we are now.

Whatever you think, the fact remains that 20 pounds policies contrary to what you all are saying went a long why to help Igbos come back couple with SNDP by Gowon etc
Re: Post Civil-war Reconstruction In Eastern Nigeria: Was there any? by nduchucks: 5:25pm On Apr 06, 2012
afam4eva:

Did the war get to kafanchan or perhaps Zaria?

Is the old Mid-West located in the east?
Re: Post Civil-war Reconstruction In Eastern Nigeria: Was there any? by aljharem(m): 5:25pm On Apr 06, 2012
ow11: Good Heavens!What a bunch of whiny bitter posters we have on NL. . . . embarassed

Wars have been fought throughout the ages, Countries have been destroyed and innocent lives lost but the difference between those nationals and the OP is that many have moved on.

I can even wager that the OP was born after 1970 but he is so bitter about something he never experienced and is determined to keep re-opening that wound till thy kingdom come. The Bosnian Muslims and Croats have moved on, The Tutsis have moved on after only 18 years but 42 years later someone is opening a thread asking for retribution and to moan and whine about a sad part of our national history.

@afam4eva, You need to get over this war. Discuss current national politics or something else. I still believe Nigerians will be better off if this nation divded into bits but come on, this latching onto a bloody horrible war that killed millions 42 years ago is not a way to start. angry

Thank you
Re: Post Civil-war Reconstruction In Eastern Nigeria: Was there any? by Afam4eva(m): 5:27pm On Apr 06, 2012
ow11: Good Heavens!What a bunch of whiny bitter posters we have on NL. . . . embarassed

I don't know why some people just thin that the past should be left alone even when the present problems we're having as a nation is as a result of what happened in the past. We will never stop talking about the past because if we don't know where we're coming from, we'll never know where we're going to.

Btw, how do you know the bosnian muslims, the croats and the tutsis and hutus don't talk about their past. I want to believe you live there to know what they're discussing about.
Re: Post Civil-war Reconstruction In Eastern Nigeria: Was there any? by 9jaIhail(m): 5:33pm On Apr 06, 2012
alj harem:

Whatever you think, the fact remains that 20 pounds policies contrary to what you all are saying went a long why to help Igbos come back couple with SNDP by Gowon etc

You are so stupiid to say that shiit above,can you survive with 20pounds after loosing all you have? can you tell me one ethnic group in Nigeria that is ahead of Igbos in this Nigeria despite loosing all they have during the conspired war? well like i told Afam on my first post,we the Igbos don't stay behind no matter the situation and no matter the position we found our self,If not for the God talented gift on average Igbo's we would have still live in a sorry situation in Nigeria but hell no we took the bull by the horn.All we Igbo need is to keep our brain busy planing how to advance more and more in our God giving industrious and human resources nature,hey boy get your self a glass of cold water and chill a little bit.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

FEC Approves N13.9billion Contract For Bayelsa Airport! / I'm Not In Support Of Biafra Actualization / BREAKING: US Calls For Buhari's Resignation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.