Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,209 members, 7,829,331 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 02:44 AM

Nigerian Immigration Stealing Innocent Nigerians Passports - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Immigration Stealing Innocent Nigerians Passports (1849 Views)

World's Most Powerful Passports. Guess Where Nigeria Falls / Assumed Legalized Bribery By The Nigerian Immigration At Mm Airport / Nigerian immigration service website. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Immigration Stealing Innocent Nigerians Passports by pixiraver(m): 11:10pm On Apr 07, 2012
It has come to my knowledge that the Nigerian immigration at the Muritala International Airport are stealing passports with visas of innocent Nigerians. My younger brother was bound for South Africa to study in one of the universities but immigration officers at the airport requested for bribe and when he told them he was a student and didn't have any money to bribe them with they told him he won't be allowed to depart.

They asked him for his passport, delayed him, when the flight left they refused to return his passport. That is criminal, you don't withhold the passport of a citizen who is not a criminal, he is only a student and he is been deprived to go study. They keep refusing to return his passport as we speak and even South African Airways were upset and said they have no right to withhold his passport, the visa belongs to the South African government and not to our corrupt immigration.

I will make sure the senate hears this! This is injustice of the highest order!
Re: Nigerian Immigration Stealing Innocent Nigerians Passports by khukhi(f): 11:26pm On Apr 07, 2012
Wow! This is shocking news! Can't you expose them in the media? The level of corruption there is just so unacceptable... They're ruining this young mans future plans now. I've heard of similar stories before, I even know a guy here in SA who uses a fake passport that belongs to another Naija man he doesn't know cause he doesn't have his proper documents.... Its just unbelievable the kind of things people do.
Re: Nigerian Immigration Stealing Innocent Nigerians Passports by Akaraiwe(m): 1:09am On Apr 08, 2012
This maltreatment has been going on for long now,especially for First time travelers. However unlike your case,the traveler's passport are not impounded. I think there's more details he didn't share.
Its advisable to always look at the name tag of the immigration officer attending to you and memorize it. With that you can always meet a superior office and lodge a complaint. I still believe there's more to it sha.
In addition,the passport belongs to FGN,it may bear your name and you may pay for it,it may be withdrawn at anytime if abused.
Re: Nigerian Immigration Stealing Innocent Nigerians Passports by donkarly(m): 2:45am On Apr 09, 2012
they have deviced another means of exploiting people by manipulating the system and telling you that the 'chip' of your passport is not showing, and that the law says you cannot travel with it,that you have to go and pay to acquire a new passport there at the airport which will take about 2hrs according to them.afraid you'll miss your flight,you now begin to plead and bargain with them on the amount you can offer so as to allow you go.they tried it with me and lots of other people on my last trip but i never bulged.first time travellers are mainly their prey.it is terrible such is happening and nothing is done to arrest it
Re: Nigerian Immigration Stealing Innocent Nigerians Passports by Nobody: 5:02am On Apr 09, 2012
Re: Nigerian Immigration Stealing Innocent Nigerians Passports by llbhuds: 11:59pm On Apr 11, 2012
I remebered wen I was leaving naija den, d immigration officer was sayin my face looks older dan some1 going for nn undergradute nd that I was not sincere wen I was applying for my P nd he will have to delay me bla bla bla.
immediately I just snatched my p from him nd told him even if yar adua comes from abj,im not gonna release my P and he said just go jare greedy boy
very very stupid people.
Re: Nigerian Immigration Stealing Innocent Nigerians Passports by DAY12(m): 2:16pm On Apr 12, 2012
9ja Immigration ?? khukekekekek- hungry bunch of pigs!

First timer must settle well well! grin
Re: Nigerian Immigration Stealing Innocent Nigerians Passports by Emary(f): 7:18pm On Apr 14, 2012
When my sister left a couple of months ago, they were literally begging her money at every stop but no one harassed her. What happened to your brother is terrible. you should get the immigration officer name online here and also report him to his boss. Threaten to sue too so they will bear some expenses for the inconveniences he's caused you.
Re: Nigerian Immigration Stealing Innocent Nigerians Passports by lillaowow(m): 8:17am On Apr 15, 2012
can you believe ma mum's Blender was stolen at MMIA?. According to her, she bought the blender in florida before departing for 9ja. And d blender disappeared at MMIA.... Naija immigrations!!! Hungry sets of ppl
Re: Nigerian Immigration Stealing Innocent Nigerians Passports by kintolux: 1:31pm On Apr 18, 2012
Even with a british passport they have no shame and they will still claim that you have a nigerian name so they can ask for money,the system cant change u will see them wearing slippers at the nigerian boarder,orisirisi

(1) (Reply)

How To Get To Ibefo, In Ijagun Area Of Ogun State? / Minna Bus From Lagos / More Info Needed-I Want To Visit Gambia For A Weekend Tourism

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.