Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,265 members, 7,811,749 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 06:47 PM

Michael Okpara University Of Agriculture, Umudike (MOUAU) - Admissions 2012/2013 - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Michael Okpara University Of Agriculture, Umudike (MOUAU) - Admissions 2012/2013 (18359 Views)

Michael Okpara University(mouau) 2015/2016 Admission Thread / Michael Okpara University Agriculture Umudike Admission 2013/2014 / Michael Okpara University Of Agriculture, Umudike (mouau) 2011/2012 First Choice Admission List Rele (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Michael Okpara University Of Agriculture, Umudike (MOUAU) - Admissions 2012/2013 by WebMMOUAU(m): 7:56am On Apr 11, 2012
Recently, especially after JAMB released their results, I've been bombarded with questions from several friends who are prospective students of MOUAU. These questions have varied greatly, however I wish to give a comprehensive answer to all such questions here, but we will still be open to some specific questions.

Admission at MOUAU is based on a competitive quota system. What does that mean? This simply means that during the admission process, each dept/course is allocated a certain number of student slots within the total admission quota for the entire University and these slots are competitively allocated. So assuming the University has about 2,000 slots approved by NUC for a particular session, this number is divided between the depts/courses. Soil Science, Botany, Agronomy may be given less than 50 slots each, while the more competitive Agribusiness, Microbiology, Comp Eng, Comp Science, may be given about 150 slots each. And other depts/courses in order of size and competitiveness. During the selection process, all the students who applied for each of these courses are listed according to the scores they have, in descending order. Then selection is made based on the quota allocated for that dept/course for that year. Therefore if after sorting the names a candidates name falls as the 88th person in order of score for a particular prog that was allocated 50 slots, obviously such a candidate will not be admitted.

Typically, applications received for the progs mentioned earlier ranges around these figures during Post UTME, Soil Science - less than 20, Botany - about 100, Agronomy - less than 10, while Agribusiness - abt 1,300, Microbiology - almost 1,000, Comp Eng - abt 900, Comp Science - over 1,000, etc. These are typical figures. Let me add Civil Engr - abt 300-400. With the explanation above and the figures shown here, you will discover that a candidate who was denied admission in Comp Eng, will find another candidate with the same scores, being offered admission to read Civil Engr. This is because the competition is less heated there. Equally a candidate who was denied admission to read Biochemistry, will find out that the scores of several of those admitted to read Botany/Zoology are much lower than his/hers. And when this happens such a candidate will start complaining and claiming that he/she was denied admission as a result of corruption and bribery, obviously not understanding the way the system works.

I can categorically tell you that the merit admissions at MOUAU are processed 100% on merit. After the merit admissions, then comes the supplementary admissions. But many of our prospective students do not know that supplementary admissions is not automatic. You need to indicate interest and apply for it. If you don't apply for the supplementary admissions at the right time, the result is that a candidate who scored lower than you, but who indicated interested and applied through the proper channels will be admitted and you still find yourself without admission and probably complaining.

This has been a long post, I just hope there are few mistakes and that it is easy to understand, otherwise feel free to ask further questions. Lets all have a Great Day.
Re: Michael Okpara University Of Agriculture, Umudike (MOUAU) - Admissions 2012/2013 by Richchibuzor(m): 11:36am On Apr 11, 2012
thanks for the trade and the information.is agric engr competitive too and with my jamb score 255,what should i be aiming at in the post ume?
Re: Michael Okpara University Of Agriculture, Umudike (MOUAU) - Admissions 2012/2013 by mentorco: 7:08am On Jul 04, 2012
My name is collins and i happen to be one of the prospective candidates for this year's admision into mouau, i scored 217 in jamb and 64 in post jamb, please i need to know the percentage posibility of me getting an admision in order to know when it's right to go for a supplementry .
Re: Michael Okpara University Of Agriculture, Umudike (MOUAU) - Admissions 2012/2013 by Zinnywise(f): 4:39pm On Sep 22, 2016
I applied for biochemistry in Mouau and i score 211 in jamb and my final average mark is 55.4....pls what are my chances of getting admission.....please someone should talk to me.....

(1) (Reply)

Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools / Flood Takes Over Government Technical College Abak, Akwa Ibom State / FG Sacks 12 Auchi Poly Randy Lecturers After Punch Report

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.