Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,092 members, 7,814,804 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 08:12 PM

Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools (18372 Views)

Five Things About Students Who Attend Public Schools. / Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools / Lagos To Ban Unintelligent Students From Public Schools (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by mukina2: 7:08pm On Sep 10, 2012
The Lagos State Commissioner for Education, Mrs. Olayinka Oladunjoye, said on Monday that the state government would introduce Mandarin, or Chinese language, in public schools’ curriculum as from next session.

Oladunjoye said this in a statement signed by the Ministry’s Public Relations Officer, Mr. Lanre Bajulaiye.

The commissioner said this after a meeting with the delegation from the Chinese Confucius Institute, University of Lagos.

She said that learning the language in the state's public schools would be an opportunity for the pupils and students to speak the language and be able to adapt to the Chinese culture.

The Director of the Institute, Prof. Caleb Orimoogunje, said the institution was ready to assist the state with necessary logistics to make the teaching and learning of the language easier.

Orimoogunje added that Prof. Lirong Jiang, a co-director of the institute, would help in the take-off of the programme.

Jiang said the institute, as a representative of the Chinese culture in Nigeria, was set up to satisfy people's need about the country’s culture.

She noted that the language became necessary because China had become the new destination for economic growth and technological development.

``The Institute is prepared to provide Chinese instructors to teach the language and culture in the state's public schools as soon as the Memorandum of Understanding is signed between the state and the institute.

``The knowledge of Chinese language will help students to further their studies in China and carry out research in various fields of human endeavour as China has become a success story in the world economy,`` the News Agency of Nigeria quoted Jiang as saying in the statement.

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/news-update/60980-lagos-to-introduce-chinese-language-in-public-schools.html

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by mkmyers45(m): 7:11pm On Sep 10, 2012
Not bad.....but shouldn't we be furthering local languages

9 Likes

Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by toboy: 7:17pm On Sep 10, 2012
yes. the higher the number of languages, the higher the IQ . then finally the chinese has come stay!!

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by Acidosis(m): 7:22pm On Sep 10, 2012
rubbish! waste of physiological and psychological ability..!

French is such a simple language, students spend 6-7years learning it in pri & sec schools yet most of these students can't speak NADA!
Teach them what they need to know not chung chiann ..

You don't have to learn their language just because you want to be like them..
before you know it, the teachers would clap for students speaking chinese but if they ever catch you speak yoruba, you'll be forced to pay #20 vernacular fee.

15 Likes

Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by Acidosis(m): 7:42pm On Sep 10, 2012
toboy: yes. the higher the number of languages, the higher the IQ
Crap!! I don't need a prophet to tell me you're His fan (Fashola & govt).. and from your statement you will accept anything even when he wants to poo on your head..

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by Nobody: 7:47pm On Sep 10, 2012
MY REACTION

Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by Freiburger(m): 8:14pm On Sep 10, 2012
In the 80s everyone around world was forced to learn the Japanese language, what has it brought today?

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by acidtalk: 8:16pm On Sep 10, 2012
I used to think Jonathan was Insane but I got to realize Fashola has totally gone MAD.

This idio*ts never get to think before passing laws and acting.

What have they done to improve our culture by making our local dialect a MUST in the school curriculum.

This fools are the reason why today's chiddren now feel its a shame to speak their language.

If you say it is to improve business ties between Nigeria and China, is it primary and secondary school children that travel down to china for business trade and bring in loads of substandard goods to flood the Nigerian market which inturn as killed our local Industry and production.

Jonathan and Fashola na who dey CRAZE pass? 100marks + $50,800

16 Likes

Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by Freiburger(m): 8:17pm On Sep 10, 2012
acidtalk: I used to think Jonathan was Insane but I got to realize Fashola has totally gone MAD.

What have they done to improve our culture by making our local dialect a MUST in the school curriculum.

This fools are the reason why today's chiddren now feel its a shame to speak their language.

If you say it is to improve business ties between Nigeria and China, is it primary and secondary school children that travel down to china for business trade and bring in loads of substandard goods to flood the Nigerian market which inturn as killed our local Industry and production.

10 likes

9 Likes

Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by realmscape: 8:18pm On Sep 10, 2012
More jobs for the chinese living in nigeria while her people remain jobless....promoting other culture at our expense while ours fade away...nigeria has a lot of potential forget all this shit. I like it sha but will they teach the kids karate

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by Lucy001(f): 8:19pm On Sep 10, 2012
i think it would have been much more better, if it was languages like french, German etc...
Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by Mrchippychappy(m): 8:19pm On Sep 10, 2012

18 Likes

Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by vivaciousvivi(f): 8:19pm On Sep 10, 2012
Freiburger: In the 80s everyone was forced to learn the Japanese language, what has it brought today?

Really?! Wonders will never cease!
@ topic: total blahdash!!!

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by dont8(m): 8:20pm On Sep 10, 2012
Re-colonilazation of my people continues.

6 Likes

Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by babseg(m): 8:21pm On Sep 10, 2012
What is this rubbish. we are not embracing our language now its Chinese. which school in china or any part of the world learning any Nigeria language.

Nigeria just want to dey do follow follow.

Non nsense

5 Likes

Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by Nobody: 8:22pm On Sep 10, 2012
AND WILL THE CHINESE TEACH YORUBA,IGBO AND HAUSA IN THEIR SCHOOLS?

15 Likes

Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by mankand(m): 8:23pm On Sep 10, 2012
Nigerian Government and inferiority complex shaaaaaaaaaa grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by offshoreking: 8:25pm On Sep 10, 2012
Nonsense
Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by Mrchippychappy(m): 8:26pm On Sep 10, 2012
mukina2: The Lagos State Commissioner for Education, Mrs. Olayinka Oladunjoye, said on Monday that the state government would introduce Mandarin, or Chinese language, in public schools’ curriculum as from next session.

Oladunjoye said this in a statement signed by the Ministry’s Public Relations Officer, Mr. Lanre Bajulaiye.

The commissioner said this after a meeting with the delegation from the Chinese Confucius Institute, University of Lagos.

She said that learning the language in the state's public schools would be an opportunity for the pupils and students to speak the language and be able to adapt to the Chinese culture.

The Director of the Institute, Prof. Caleb Orimoogunje, said the institution was ready to assist the state with necessary logistics to make the teaching and learning of the language easier.

Orimoogunje added that Prof. Lirong Jiang, a co-director of the institute, would help in the take-off of the programme.

Jiang said the institute, as a representative of the Chinese culture in Nigeria, was set up to satisfy people's need about the country’s culture.

She noted that the language became necessary because China had become the new destination for economic growth and technological development.

``The Institute is prepared to provide Chinese instructors to teach the language and culture in the state's public schools as soon as the Memorandum of Understanding is signed between the state and the institute.

``The knowledge of Chinese language will [size=15pt]help students to further their studies in China[/size] and carry out research in various fields of human endeavour as China has become a success story in the world economy,`` the News Agency of Nigeria quoted Jiang as saying in the statement.

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/news-update/60980-lagos-to-introduce-chinese-language-in-public-schools.html

[size=15pt]Lagos state encouraging brain drain ..... this country is DOOMED![/size]

4 Likes

Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by okeyxyz(m): 8:27pm On Sep 10, 2012
acidtalk: I used to think Jonathan was Insane but I got to realize Fashola has totally gone MAD.

True Talk. There seems to be something seriously wrong with the black man(no offense), Why do we jump on every meaningless fad without thinking, to the extend we use state powers & fund to force our kids to promote another state's culture, making the silly argument that it's going to promote economic empowerment. A big fallacy.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by ceejay80s(m): 8:29pm On Sep 10, 2012
No problema! MORE WHITE TEACHERS TO BE KIDNAPPED or TEACHERNAPPED
Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by felifeli: 8:30pm On Sep 10, 2012
Since your children may have to be dealing with a lot of Chinese in the future considering how much they are investing in Nigeria, doesn't it make sense that those children learn at least the basic of that language so that your country does not get ripped off when doing business ? Don't be myopic in your views.The Chinese learn English for the same reason.

4 Likes

Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by Oluwa4Sure: 8:32pm On Sep 10, 2012
before it starts sef.
My names are chung Li Yung!!

lol
Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by Oluwa4Sure: 8:34pm On Sep 10, 2012
busybusybusy
Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by johnstar(m): 8:35pm On Sep 10, 2012
Dis ppl ar totally mad, y is our country diff 4rm order, hv u seen Chinese ppl learning yoruba or igbo in der country, stupidd hoesss undecided undecided
Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by Nightshift(m): 8:36pm On Sep 10, 2012
And the Chinese will learn Yoruba .... Even Lagos mosquitoes are laughing !
Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by amosy007: 8:37pm On Sep 10, 2012

I really don't see any big deal in what fashola did ..afterall he didn't force it down anybodies throat ( though am a fan of all fasholas policies )
The fact that students will start learning chinese doesn't mean they are gonna forget their local languages... .take french as an example ..I remebered in my secondary school days I learnt french and am sure its like that in most public school but how many people speaks french today especially thru what they learnt in their secondary school days... Let's just see it as one of those policies to encourage the chinese to invest more in lagos and nothing more

2 Likes

Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by tinkinfela(m): 8:40pm On Sep 10, 2012
To be honest, I don't see anything wrong with this. Is English your native language? We've been learning and speaking english for centuries.. what has the so-called English people/world done for you?

China is advancing in terms of technology and innovation, maybe our scholars could actually gain something from them. Also, I remember learning French in school even though I absolutely have no use for it.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by Dsage1: 8:46pm On Sep 10, 2012
We needs the radical leaders in this country. Instead of introducing the teaching of science in elementary schools and JSS classes in our mother languages, they are proposing to introduce another one that is very hard to understand.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by Sciencs(m): 8:49pm On Sep 10, 2012
Chinese ke?. 4hw long r d kids goin 2learn dat language, let alone put doz strange alphabets dat looks like in TREEs in d right order?. Despite d fact dat french contains english alphabets, i stil had some obvious assimilating problem in tryin 2figure out wat each words means apart frm 'bonjur' alone which i understood bak then. I jst hope our kids performance in sch wil not b sternly base on hw fast de r able 2 assimilate dis language...because even if dem find me chinese teacher n xtra moral class teacher join 2geda, i no go fit undastand wetin shaki shan n jet lee de talk in 10yrs time

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by felifeli: 8:51pm On Sep 10, 2012
I learnt some Arabic in university because I was thinking of going to work in Saudi oil industry. I didn't go but it wasn't wasted effort.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by bigmaut: 8:52pm On Sep 10, 2012
Make i vex change my names to Mr lee yen chung.come 2 think of it is life not too short to learn chinese language?checkout dia written itlook like where fowl scratch grd dey find food angry angry angry angry angry

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Flood Takes Over Government Technical College Abak, Akwa Ibom State / FG Sacks 12 Auchi Poly Randy Lecturers After Punch Report / Factional Presidents Emerge In NANS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.