Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,194 members, 7,839,064 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 01:12 PM

Ikeja Court Jails US Major For 10 Years Over Illegal Possession Of Arms - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ikeja Court Jails US Major For 10 Years Over Illegal Possession Of Arms (11826 Views)

50 NSCDC Officers To Ondo Over Illegal Mining / Just In: DSS Papers Proves Kanu Was Never In Possession Of Any Weapons / Dasuki Releases Breakdown Of Arms Purchases, Says “nigerians Will Hear A Lot” (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ikeja Court Jails US Major For 10 Years Over Illegal Possession Of Arms by Wallie(m): 4:59pm On Apr 13, 2012
PhysicsQED:

?

I'm not getting this. How did you deduce that he was in the army reserve?

He does seem to be a career army officer unless I'm missing something. Anyway, like you said, I hope he gets a good lawyer that can get this 10 years nonsense overturned quickly.

Paragraph 7 of the linked article you posted - "member of the active Guard and reserve."
Re: Ikeja Court Jails US Major For 10 Years Over Illegal Possession Of Arms by DECOtech(m): 5:00pm On Apr 13, 2012
D1KeleVra:

Like I said we are still learning, it's not very long ago that Nigerians started wearing their seat belts willingly, without thinking of LASTMA.
Bull's eye! ...struck right on the head of the nail.
Re: Ikeja Court Jails US Major For 10 Years Over Illegal Possession Of Arms by JimmyBoy1: 5:10pm On Apr 13, 2012
I believe this guy will be off the hook in a short time,America dont abandon their own , forget if he is black or not.

Dick Cheney was involved in haliburton scandal, but the matter was rsolved "somehow", this is a Major in US Army.... abeg make una leave story jare.
Re: Ikeja Court Jails US Major For 10 Years Over Illegal Possession Of Arms by babsjnr(m): 5:29pm On Apr 13, 2012
He can be a major in us army but that don't mean nothing in nigeria. Before the judge sentence him to 10 yrs he has failed to proved the genuine document for the ammunition.
Re: Ikeja Court Jails US Major For 10 Years Over Illegal Possession Of Arms by Dede1(m): 5:50pm On Apr 13, 2012
violent:

That's just bollocks! Members of the United states do not have diplomatic immunity from arrest and prosecution from a foreign country, especially when they are not on assignment or serving the US interest or being held for political reasons!!! If the dude is breaking Nigerian law, United states cannot claim jurisdiction for his arrest or prosecution.

There's actually a way for an ordinary citizen to obtain license for guns. In the snipped attachment below, the 1990 constitution states that individuals can own fire arms if granted a license by the President or the Inspector General of Police.

Please could you give more facts on the section of Nigeria 1999 constitution about owing a gun? I know a person can own a shotgun of any type but handgun.
Re: Ikeja Court Jails US Major For 10 Years Over Illegal Possession Of Arms by Dede1(m): 5:59pm On Apr 13, 2012
D1KeleVra:

I really don't think it sucks that it's not legal to own a firearm. I think Nigeria and Nigerians are still growing and learning. As you can see from the daily hustle and bustle attitude our people, coupled with impatience and the "do-you-know-who-I-am" syndrome, people would be shooting each other like it was legal to do so. Someone has a very bad day at work + probably trying to deal with the frustration of impotence grin grin uhm. . . gets his car scratched by a danfo, he might get all trigger-happy.

Like I said we are still learning, it's not very long ago that Nigerians started wearing their seat belts willingly, without thinking of LASTMA. A few years ago this wasn't the case. Also the same with littering (throwing trash out your car windows) . Not to say people are still not doing these, but we are still learning not only what is right, but what is reasonable.

Legalising firearms at this level of our development, to me, is not advisable. I might not be right but that's my view, maybe not the intention of the Law Makers. Altho there's the need for solutions to self protection. I have been thinking of how to legally get a hold tasers for this purpose.

Before Nigeria/Biafra civil war, law-abiding Nigerians were allowed to own gun and freely go to hunt. But since after the civil war, the cabals due to the fear of being ignominiously booted out of office by the angry crowd slammed gun ban on the society and gave petty thieves the leeway to be real bad.
Re: Ikeja Court Jails US Major For 10 Years Over Illegal Possession Of Arms by BlackPikiN(m): 6:11pm On Apr 13, 2012
PhysicsQED:

?

I'm not getting this. How did you deduce that he was in the army reserve?

He does seem to be a career army officer unless I'm missing something. Anyway, like you said, I hope he gets a good lawyer that can get this 10 years nonsense overturned quickly.

If you read your link, you would see where it clearly stated He's in the reserve or you got something to show?
Re: Ikeja Court Jails US Major For 10 Years Over Illegal Possession Of Arms by victor1(m): 7:28pm On Apr 13, 2012
What were the bullets doing with his cousin/brother? Is that not where the problem started from?
Re: Ikeja Court Jails US Major For 10 Years Over Illegal Possession Of Arms by D1KeleVra(m): 7:34pm On Apr 13, 2012
Dede1:

Before Nigeria/Biafra civil war, law-abiding Nigerians were allowed to own gun and freely go to hunt. But since after the civil war, the cabals due to the fear of being ignominiously booted out of office by the angry crowd slammed gun ban on the society and gave petty thieves the leeway to be real bad.

Okay, yea. But Nigerians then ARE different from Nigerians now. If just anyone in our times is granted a licence, there'd be lawlessness. People are on the edge. . . I might even shoot a couple of okada riders. . . i hate the fuqqas sad
Re: Ikeja Court Jails US Major For 10 Years Over Illegal Possession Of Arms by Phonon: 8:41pm On Apr 13, 2012
Before you start critiquing people's comment,I suggest you READ WELL.The issue about being a diplomat,I believe I put it as a question.Seriously,members of the United States?Phew!
violent:

That's just bollocks! Members of the United states do not have diplomatic immunity from arrest and prosecution from a foreign country, especially when they are not on assignment or serving the US interest or being held for political reasons!!! If the dude is breaking Nigerian law, United states cannot claim jurisdiction for his arrest or prosecution.

There's actually a way for an ordinary citizen to obtain license for guns. In the snipped attachment below, the 1990 constitution states that individuals can own fire arms if granted a license by the President or the Inspector General of Police.
Re: Ikeja Court Jails US Major For 10 Years Over Illegal Possession Of Arms by PhysicsQED(m): 9:20pm On Apr 13, 2012
Wallie:

Paragraph 7 of the linked article you posted - "member of the active Guard and reserve."

Ahh, thanks.
Re: Ikeja Court Jails US Major For 10 Years Over Illegal Possession Of Arms by Nobody: 9:23pm On Apr 13, 2012
Re: Ikeja Court Jails US Major For 10 Years Over Illegal Possession Of Arms by PhysicsQED(m): 9:27pm On Apr 13, 2012
BlackPikiN:
If you read your link, you would see where it clearly stated He's in the reserve or you got something to show?

I read my link. Did you miss the part where I said "unless I'm missing something" or did you not understand that? Turns out I missed something! It happens.

I asked him (Wallie) for an explanation which he gave. As far I could tell he was an army officer, and the army was his career, but Wallie clarified.
Re: Ikeja Court Jails US Major For 10 Years Over Illegal Possession Of Arms by PhysicsQED(m): 9:28pm On Apr 13, 2012
Ileke-IdI:
[img]http://pointblanknews.com/new/thumbnail.php?file=Nigerian_Court_141732189.jpg&size=article_medium[/img]

When does it stop?

I have to agree. It's a pretty bad statue no matter what style they're attempting. It'd be better if it wasn't even there.
Re: Ikeja Court Jails US Major For 10 Years Over Illegal Possession Of Arms by chucky234(m): 11:22pm On Apr 13, 2012
omar22: Last June at Muritala Muhammad Int. Airport. My friend, his brother and me. My friend’s brother was heading to America but we were returning back to the UK. When they were checking our suit cases, my friends brother was ahead of us in the queue and this guy haven’t been to Nigeria since 1994, he only came home for his mother’s birthday, because he has been deployed to various places all over the world because he is a service officer of the US Army.
On the line at the airport, they looked at his suit case, and then they dropped the ultimate question on him!

Immigration - “Entertain us” (meaning they want egunje)
US Army (typical akata boy) - he said no point blank!
Immigration - They said he is not allowed to carry this this this and that to the US.
US Army – Said they should show a list of what he can’t take to the US
Immigration (Lady) – We can make you miss your flight
US Army – You wouldn’t dare do that.
Immigration – Closed his suitcase and demanded to see his passport
US Army – The immigration officer over there has already seen my passport
Immigration – started shouting saying they would jail him, do you know who I am
US Army – I don’t care who you are, you don’t know who you were dealing with.
Immigration – You are not going to travel today
US Army – why
My friend and I looked with amazement, I was about to tell the guy to settle them and let peace be but he said no (out loud)
A top immigration officer showed up and the idiot said – you are not allowed to carry this into the US, the US army said he wanted to see the list of things he cannot carry? Then he said theirs a US army base in East Africa, they would send officials to come pick him up and he showed them his ID card. Their behaviour changed completely they started respecting the guy, it was so embarrassing my friend and I who were travelling an hour later, got no grieve from the immigration officers they only said to us that we should enjoy our flight.
Guy I am laughing,just fell of the cushion
Those immigration officials are disgrace to this nation
Re: Ikeja Court Jails US Major For 10 Years Over Illegal Possession Of Arms by traylblazer: 11:41pm On Apr 13, 2012
4rm the legal perspective,sec 1 of the 1999 constitution makes the provisions of the constitution and other laws supreme and binding on all persons and authorities.thus, sec 4 of the robbery and fire arms act applies 2 dis dude nd also,any foreigner who doesn't work @ his country's embassy is subject to our local laws.
Re: Ikeja Court Jails US Major For 10 Years Over Illegal Possession Of Arms by chucky234(m): 11:41pm On Apr 13, 2012
A man carries a gun and get a 10 years jail sentence while the guys caught on several locations with ammunition,explosives,bullets and gun powder are running the streets free men. What a nation,all the boko suspects caught with explosives responsible for killing hundreds of Nigerians across in Abuja,Kaduna,Mardugri and Kano are roaming the streets free men. Who is fooling who?
Re: Ikeja Court Jails US Major For 10 Years Over Illegal Possession Of Arms by bros856: 7:03am On Apr 14, 2012
Nigerian Police and courts shame on you? How can you jail a Nigerian that has gotten to the rank of Major in US army. The guy should be honored and invited to take over one of Nigerian military formations. The politicians and top government functionaries that are stealing money in billions and trillion, killing innocent people for power will be jailed for few months or freed. I think that court should reverse such a silly judge or do they go to school at all. That guy should be call to come and serve is country, that is military Expat. we need him in naija.
Re: Ikeja Court Jails US Major For 10 Years Over Illegal Possession Of Arms by rocka: 7:16am On Apr 14, 2012
Honestly, this post doesn't make sense. Just like someone said earlier, a serving member of the US army will not be allowed to do jail time in a foreign ally country. He will be extradited to the States to face the music.
He signed a contract with the US army and legally speaking that contract has to be kept (JAG is aware of that).
Someone mentioned that he is a Bini man, as such, the embassy wouldn't care what happens to him. I must say this is a very naive statement. You cannot be a commissioned officer in the US military without being a US citizen. And i bet we are all aware of America's policy on her citizens doing time in foreign lands.
I guess whoever concocted this post is totally unaware of the value America places on her soldiers (even if you are a fuzzy) not to talk of a Major.
Re: Ikeja Court Jails US Major For 10 Years Over Illegal Possession Of Arms by lastpage: 7:36am On Apr 14, 2012
PhysicsQED:

I read my link. Did you miss the part where I said "unless I'm missing something" or did you not understand that? Turns out I missed something! It happens.

I asked him (Wallie) for an explanation which he gave. As far I could tell he was an army officer, and the army was his career, but Wallie clarified.

You need not apologize to Blackpikin, he is the one who needs glasses! grin
Let me quote the article here:

joined the Reserve Officer Training Corps. In 1991, Osagiede-Ogbewekon, by then a naturalized citizen, became a commissioned officer in the U.S. Army.

Originally a chemical weapons officer, he shifted to civil affairs in 1998.

From the highlighted parts, is it not very clear that he was a "commissioned OFFICER" of the U.S Army?

His unit/dept NOW is Civil Affairs, but as a COMMISSIONED OFFICER.
Previously a chemical weapons "officer".

Pay attention to that phrase" "Commissioned Officer".

Gerrit?

Lastpage!
Re: Ikeja Court Jails US Major For 10 Years Over Illegal Possession Of Arms by doctokwus: 10:28am On Apr 14, 2012
rocka: Honestly, this post doesn't make sense. Just like someone said earlier, a serving member of the US army will not be allowed to do jail time in a foreign ally country. He will be extradited to the States to face the music.
He signed a contract with the US army and legally speaking that contract has to be kept (JAG is aware of that).
Someone mentioned that he is a Bini man, as such, the embassy wouldn't care what happens to him. I must say this is a very naive statement. You cannot be a commissioned officer in the US military without being a US citizen. And i bet we are all aware of America's policy on her citizens doing time in foreign lands.
I guess whoever concocted this post is totally unaware of the value America places on her soldiers (even if you are a fuzzy) not to talk of a Major.
Thank u.Am cocksure dat if an authentic investigation is made,it will come out dat dis person jailed is either not anywhere being an american citizen,talkless of a major,or its d cousin dat was jaild.I maintain dat dis is a horrible,very daft reporting& its very wrong
Re: Ikeja Court Jails US Major For 10 Years Over Illegal Possession Of Arms by member479760: 11:40am On Apr 14, 2012
The guy na born in Naija and he never officially drop Naija citizenship - that's another case!
Re: Ikeja Court Jails US Major For 10 Years Over Illegal Possession Of Arms by member479760: 11:48am On Apr 14, 2012
The guy is one of those homeless we have in this country, his aim of bringing the sh.t is to overthrow the government.
Re: Ikeja Court Jails US Major For 10 Years Over Illegal Possession Of Arms by Dede1(m): 12:03pm On Apr 14, 2012
D1KeleVra:

Okay, yea. But Nigerians then ARE different from Nigerians now. If just anyone in our times is granted a licence, there'd be lawlessness. People are on the edge. . . I might even shoot a couple of okada riders. . . i hate the fuqqas sad

I guess you forgot Okada riders might have guns too. Now, it becomes a matter of who is the best shot. When everybody is perceived to be packing a gun, it creates an unseen equilibrium. In USA, a policeman will always approach suspected law breaker with caution even if it is a minor traffic incident.

If Nigerians really want to engage in democracy, they must observe every bit of democratic nuances.
Re: Ikeja Court Jails US Major For 10 Years Over Illegal Possession Of Arms by rocka: 6:43pm On Apr 14, 2012
nakedall: The guy na born in Naija and he never officially drop Naija citizenship - that's another case!
Nah, as a Major in the US Army you'd have no allegiance to any other country or principality. He'll need a visa to visit Nigeria even if he was born there.
Re: Ikeja Court Jails US Major For 10 Years Over Illegal Possession Of Arms by D1KeleVra(m): 2:43pm On Apr 18, 2012
Dede1:

I guess you forgot Okada riders might have guns too. Now, it becomes a matter of who is the best shot. When everybody is perceived to be packing a gun, it creates an unseen equilibrium. In USA, a policeman will always approach suspected law breaker with caution even if it is a minor traffic incident.

If Nigerians really want to engage in democracy, they must observe every bit of democratic nuances.

lol too true.
Re: Ikeja Court Jails US Major For 10 Years Over Illegal Possession Of Arms by mediaplus303: 9:36am On Jun 30, 2012
Re – Ikeja Court Jails US Major 10 Years Over Illegal Possession Of Arms

Attention has been drawn to a news item with the headline “Ikeja court jails a US Major for 10 years over illegal possession of Arms” published on the internet by the News Agency of Nigeria. This refutal became necessary in order to put the record of the facts and what actually happened to Major Wisdom Ogbewekon Osemwende.

What actually happened to the Major started early in 2011 when he traveled to Nigeria on official assignment with other members of the US Army to train some senior officers, the Police, Army, Airforce, NSO, SSS, FRSC and NEMA and other resource persons for Disaster Relief and Pandemic Response at the Eko Hotels Lagos Nigeria.

Later, after some months he flew back into the country for his wedding ceremony which took place at Akwa — Ibom and brought in a vehicle for the wife and unfortunately for him, he forgot to clear the glove compartment of the vehicle where he left his ammunition legally obtained in the USA. The ammunition was discovered by the brother who went to collect the vehicle and other baggage.

The brother was arrested while he was about to take a bus to Benin and taken to Sabo Police station and later transferred to Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) Ikeja - The US base Major voluntarily went to the station himself where he identified himself to the officer and was subsequently detained and the voluntary initial statements he made were rejected and he was made to compromise the statement to the one that suited their ulterior motive on the ground that the issue is being resolved, but the case was charged to court under the Robbery and firearms Act where it has similar provision under the criminal code.

According to the investigation, he (Major) vehemently protested during the trial that he was harassed by the police and his statement taken under duress.
He was however sentenced to 10 years imprisonment for illegal possession of arms.

The question being asked here and facts the public need to know is:

(1) The court in question does not have the jurisdiction on the matter and was not competent to try any offence under the statute he was charged.

(2) Major Ogbewekon voluntarily turned himself in to the station admitting that he mistakenly brought the bullet into the country.

(3) The said ammunitions could not be used for a berretta, SMG or Pump Action as alleged by the Nigeria Police. If a Nigerian Police Officer cannot tell what a 9mm bullets that fits what pistol then the officer need to be retrained.

(4) For even identifying himself to the police and claiming ownership of the 9mm bullet is enough for him to have simply been warned and the 9mm bullet confiscated.

(5) For his identity and the fact that he was in the country some months ago (October) to train some officers on Disaster Relief and Pandemic Response at Eko Hotels is enough identity and being a serving major, if he wanted to bring in arms into the country, is it 9mm bullets he would be bringing in as ‘a serving major in the US Army? He would have to bring in container loads.

The clearance became necessary so that the name of the officer Major Ogbewekon would not be tarnished by some police officers who are overzealous.
Re: Ikeja Court Jails US Major For 10 Years Over Illegal Possession Of Arms by mediaplus303: 11:38am On Jun 30, 2012
Re – Ikeja Court Jails US Major 10 Years Over Illegal Possession Of Arms

Attention has been drawn to a news item with the headline “Ikeja court jails a US Major for 10 years over illegal possession of Arms” published on the internet by the News Agency of Nigeria. This refutal became necessary in order to put the record of the facts and what actually happened to Major Wisdom Ogbewekon Osemwende.

What actually happened to the Major started early in 2011 when he traveled to Nigeria on official assignment with other members of the US Army to train some senior officers, the Police, Army, Airforce, NSO, SSS, FRSC and NEMA and other resource persons for Disaster Relief and Pandemic Response at the Eko Hotels Lagos Nigeria.

Later, after some months he flew back into the country for his wedding ceremony which took place at Akwa — Ibom and brought in a vehicle for the wife and unfortunately for him, he forgot to clear the glove compartment of the vehicle where he left his ammunition legally obtained in the USA. The ammunition was discovered by the brother who went to collect the vehicle and other baggage.

The brother was arrested while he was about to take a bus to Benin and taken to Sabo Police station and later transferred to Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) Ikeja - The US base Major voluntarily went to the station himself where he identified himself to the officer and was subsequently detained and the voluntary initial statements he made were rejected and he was made to compromise the statement to the one that suited their ulterior motive on the ground that the issue is being resolved, but the case was charged to court under the Robbery and firearms Act where it has similar provision under the criminal code.

According to the investigation, he (Major) vehemently protested during the trial that he was harassed by the police and his statement taken under duress.
He was however sentenced to 10 years imprisonment for illegal possession of arms.

The question being asked here and facts the public need to know is:

(1) The court in question does not have the jurisdiction on the matter and was not competent to try any offence under the statute he was charged.

(2) Major Ogbewekon voluntarily turned himself in to the station admitting that he mistakenly brought the bullet into the country.

(3) The said ammunitions could not be used for a berretta, SMG or Pump Action as alleged by the Nigeria Police. If a Nigerian Police Officer cannot tell what a 9mm bullets that fits what pistol then the officer need to be retrained.

(4) For even identifying himself to the police and claiming ownership of the 9mm bullet is enough for him to have simply been warned and the 9mm bullet confiscated.

(5) For his identity and the fact that he was in the country some months ago (October) to train some officers on Disaster Relief and Pandemic Response at Eko Hotels is enough identity and being a serving major, if he wanted to bring in arms into the country, is it 9mm bullets he would be bringing in as ‘a serving major in the US Army? He would have to bring in container loads.

The clearance became necessary so that the name of the officer Major Ogbewekon would not be tarnished by some police officers who are overzealous.

(1) (2) (Reply)

No Borno LGA Is Under Boko Haram Control – Shettima / FG Kick-starts 2017 Budget Process, Fix Oil Benchmark (Pic) / FG Owes 79% Of N20tr Domestic Debts, As Lagos Leads States

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.