Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,798 members, 7,820,796 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:53 PM

Jose Antonio Ocampo To Withdraw From World Bank Presidency Race - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jose Antonio Ocampo To Withdraw From World Bank Presidency Race (6153 Views)

African Development Bank Presidency: 5 Serving Ministers, 3 Others Contest / Buhari Endorses Akinwunmi Adesina For African Development Bank Presidency / World Bank Presidency: Obama Rejects Iweala Nominates Jim Yong Kim (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jose Antonio Ocampo To Withdraw From World Bank Presidency Race by BlackPikiN(m): 5:38pm On Apr 13, 2012
WASHINGTON/BRASILIA (Reuters) - Former Colombian finance minister Jose Antonio Ocampo is set to withdraw his nomination for the World Bank presidency on Friday in an agreement among emerging and developing countries to coalesce around one nominee, three sources said.

Nigerian Finance Minister Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala would remain as the sole candidate from developing nations in a race against U.S. nominee Jim Yong Kim, a Korean-American health expert who is seen as the favorite to win the race.

A straw poll among World Bank directors representing the Group of 11, which includes emerging countries and Australia, backed Okonjo-Iweala, the sources said.
Emerging market nations are seeking to challenge U.S. leadership at the bank to increase their influence in global economic institutions long controlled by rich nations.

While Kim is still the favorite to win the World Bank presidency because of his backing from the United States and European countries, a rigorous challenge from emerging market countries could put them in a stronger position to extract concessions favorable to their interests and also increase their odds of winning senior jobs in the future.

Earlier, Brazilian Finance Minister Guido Mantega said that the BRICS group of emerging market countries is likely to make a joint decision on who to support for the World Bank top post as soon as Friday.

Mantega told reporters the five countries were still discussing which candidate they would support. The BRICS group also includes Russia, India, China and South Africa.

Ocampo, who met with Mantega on Thursday, said developing nations wanted a single candidate to challenge Kim.
(Writing by Alonso Soto and Lesley Wroughton; Editing by James Dalgleish and M.D. Golan)

http://news.yahoo.com/ocampo-withdraw-world-bank-contest-sources-152329586.html
Re: Jose Antonio Ocampo To Withdraw From World Bank Presidency Race by BlackPikiN(m): 5:46pm On Apr 13, 2012
Hope she gets the BRICS vote.

The rest na history.
Re: Jose Antonio Ocampo To Withdraw From World Bank Presidency Race by ZUBY77(m): 5:56pm On Apr 13, 2012
Bad news for Nigeria.
Re: Jose Antonio Ocampo To Withdraw From World Bank Presidency Race by kizito96(m): 5:59pm On Apr 13, 2012
Good move to checkmate American Influence
Re: Jose Antonio Ocampo To Withdraw From World Bank Presidency Race by BlackPikiN(m): 6:04pm On Apr 13, 2012
kizito96: Good move to checkmate American Influence

America will always be a great nation but this is no checkmate but a change in world economics and its target.
Re: Jose Antonio Ocampo To Withdraw From World Bank Presidency Race by PaulJohn1: 6:05pm On Apr 13, 2012
Whish our NIO goodluck
Re: Jose Antonio Ocampo To Withdraw From World Bank Presidency Race by abubaka101: 6:10pm On Apr 13, 2012
I really love wat he has done. He pulled out at a very intense period. The American representative for the world bank is no good at all, am not sure he is experienced enough for such position. Wat does a medical doctor by profession knw about banking?
If Okonjo-Iweala can win this position, developing nations will start getting developed.
Re: Jose Antonio Ocampo To Withdraw From World Bank Presidency Race by festuskol(m): 6:15pm On Apr 13, 2012
Even if South Africa signs a paper wt Mandela's blood dt they wil support Nigeria, i wil stil doubt them.
If she was a Ghanian,Kenyan or South African she would av been nominated. By now.
Is it really wise contending against Obama's man? I don't think so. But is it brave of her 2stay in d fight even if she eventually loses? Yes.
It is better 2die fightin than 2throw in d towel at d sound of d bell.
Obama is yet 2loose a battle.

1 Like

Re: Jose Antonio Ocampo To Withdraw From World Bank Presidency Race by henrychubayo: 6:16pm On Apr 13, 2012
ZUBY77: Bad news for Nigeria.

Did you actually understood the post? I will advice you to read meaning into the information posted before making comment.
Re: Jose Antonio Ocampo To Withdraw From World Bank Presidency Race by Johnson6: 6:17pm On Apr 13, 2012
I wonder d kind of influence n power des developing market tink they hv 2 challenge USA alone b4 talking abt combinatn of Europe.these countries couldn't do anytin abt Iraq,libya etc even wit their support 4 syria,syria president wil soon go down.dey are just tryin their lucky but dis is world politics i doubt if they can win
Re: Jose Antonio Ocampo To Withdraw From World Bank Presidency Race by henrychubayo: 6:29pm On Apr 13, 2012
Obama has really showed to an extent how he dislike blacks. First he did this in immigration issue and then these one. It could have been a great opportunity for him to display his love for fellow africa and black. Blacks all over the world but mainly in africa were very supportive in him being the first black american president and he should have made a black to attain this post while he as a black man is in power. Its really disappointing and imagin what blacks in america say about him and how they felt and the level they should have been by now but not it especially the immigration issue
Re: Jose Antonio Ocampo To Withdraw From World Bank Presidency Race by Johnson6: 6:42pm On Apr 13, 2012
Des black ppl,u keep on amazin me wit ur foolishness.wen Obama wantd 2 contest everybody was like he must win as if anytin wil change in Africa.4m my research Bush did more 4 Africa dan Obama.Ngozi or Kim USA wil stil control d bank

1 Like

Re: Jose Antonio Ocampo To Withdraw From World Bank Presidency Race by kristiansmart: 6:46pm On Apr 13, 2012
Thank you for sharing and good luck with the thread.[img]http://www.lzxin.info/g.php[/img]
Re: Jose Antonio Ocampo To Withdraw From World Bank Presidency Race by successking: 6:57pm On Apr 13, 2012
NOI will get the top most position at the world bank and the entire world will know that something worth cherishing can come from Nigeria. God bless Nigeria and her good people.
Re: Jose Antonio Ocampo To Withdraw From World Bank Presidency Race by mkpologwu(m): 7:07pm On Apr 13, 2012
I tot NOI is a brand of maggi cube Pls Madam, No Offense Intended, NOI.
Re: Jose Antonio Ocampo To Withdraw From World Bank Presidency Race by sinachiman: 7:12pm On Apr 13, 2012
Many thanks to people that wish our own NOI well she must get there we love her
Re: Jose Antonio Ocampo To Withdraw From World Bank Presidency Race by ITbomb(m): 7:17pm On Apr 13, 2012
If the US nominee fails, then US will make sure the World Bank is run aground
Re: Jose Antonio Ocampo To Withdraw From World Bank Presidency Race by violent(m): 7:18pm On Apr 13, 2012
If anyone thinks that in the run up to American elections, Obama will show weakness by allowing his nominee to lose in a position that is almost always exclusively reserved for Americans, then that person has no idea what world politics is all about. US holds the largest votes, followed by Japan with a combined total of 25 percent!!! More likely than not, Europeans will play American games...and the man called Kim has made trips to China, India, Brazil and Moscow armed with a strategy mapped out by Timothy F. Geithner and several other treasury officials who work on global issues.

Hear Kim:

“You would find in me someone who asks hard questions about the status quo and is not afraid to challenge existing orthodoxies,” He added, “I do not come to this election with a rigid, ideological approach. . . . As an anthropologist, I am trained to value local context, institutions and the interconnectedness of individuals and the broader economy in which they live.”

That's a long pace for the Woman whose country continues to harbor the largest population of Africans living under one dollar per day several months after being sworn in as the Super-duper Minister!
Re: Jose Antonio Ocampo To Withdraw From World Bank Presidency Race by okpurukata(f): 7:20pm On Apr 13, 2012
That Kenyan man - OBAMA will be put to shame veru very soon. We all rejoiced for him during his race, but what has he done for Africa? Nothing at all
Re: Jose Antonio Ocampo To Withdraw From World Bank Presidency Race by ZUBY77(m): 7:20pm On Apr 13, 2012
henrychubayo:

Did you actually understood the post? I will advice you to read meaning into the information posted before making comment.

I am sure you are wondering how this could be bad for Nigeria.
We need Ngozi here. She is the best minister up there in Aso Rock. If this Ocampo guy withdraws, Ngozi will have more chances of winning. Being the head of world bank is good for her but we need her here.

1 Like

Re: Jose Antonio Ocampo To Withdraw From World Bank Presidency Race by Alxmyr(m): 7:25pm On Apr 13, 2012
Former Colombian finance minister Jose Antonio Ocampo is set to withdraw his nomination for the World Bank presidency on Friday in an agreement among emerging and developing countries to coalesce around one nominee, sources said.
Nigerian Finance Minister Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala would remain as the sole candidate from developing nations in a race against U.S. nominee Jim Yong Kim, a Korean-American health expert who is seen as the favourite to win the race.
A straw poll among World Bank directors representing the Group of 11, which includes emerging countries and Australia, backed Okonjo-Iweala, the sources said.
Emerging market nations are seeking to challenge U.S. leadership at the bank to increase their influence in global economic institutions long controlled by rich nations.
While Kim is still the favourite to win the World Bank presidency because of his backing from the United States and European countries, a rigorous challenge from emerging market countries could put them in a stronger position to extract concessions favourable to their interests and also increase their odds of winning senior jobs in the future.
Earlier, Brazilian Finance Minister Guido Mantega said that the BRICS group of emerging market countries is likely to make a joint decision on who to support for the World Bank top post as soon as Friday.
Mantega told reporters the five countries were still discussing which candidate they would support. The BRICS group also includes Russia, India, China and South Africa.
Ocampo, who met with Mantega on Thursday, said developing nations wanted a single candidate to challenge Kim.

http://afrikandevelopment.net/developing-news-ocampo-to-withdraw-for-okonjoiweala-p150-1.htm
Re: Jose Antonio Ocampo To Withdraw From World Bank Presidency Race by greentea1: 7:33pm On Apr 13, 2012
ITbomb: If the US nominee fails, then US will make sure the World Bank is run aground
[img]http://www.spgames.info/g.gif[/img] lipsrsealed
Re: Jose Antonio Ocampo To Withdraw From World Bank Presidency Race by kiyosaki1(m): 7:33pm On Apr 13, 2012
Fellow Nairalander let's not forget the way NOI has ruin the 9ja economic.NOI is just the typical product of 9ja education system that lay emphasise on grade so she cram to pass her way through havard,in a normal situation where we have a normal situation she is excellent but in abnormal situation like 9ja where she will be require to do a lot of analysis and reasoning then there is problem.She is better off as a lecturer or working in advance economy where there are normal people dealing with normal situation.I hope you are all student of history in the last PDP election despite the fact that Bamanga Tukur was not even loved in its constituent yet he defeated the more accepted candidate with NOI quietly consenting behind the scene so I believe this is a kind of vendetta to her that's what goes around comes around so let her enjoy her defeat on the international stage.Good luck NOI.Defeatimg Obama's candidate is a defeat to America as a whole anud do any reasonable person in the. forum see that happening? common every reasonable Nairalander should wake up from this imaginary dream,me don Walt ray ray and for others keep on dreaming
Re: Jose Antonio Ocampo To Withdraw From World Bank Presidency Race by Jarus(m): 7:51pm On Apr 13, 2012
kiyosaki1: [b]Fellow Nairalander let's not forget the way NOI has ruin the 9ja economic.NOI is just the typical product of 9ja education system that lay emphasise on grade so she cram to pass her way through havard,[/b]in a normal situation where we have a normal situation she is excellent but in abnormal situation like 9ja where she will be require to do a lot of analysis and reasoning then there is problem.She is better off as a lecturer or working in advance economy where there are normal people dealing with normal situation.I hope you are all student of history in the last PDP election despite the fact that Bamanga Tukur was not even loved in its constituent yet he defeated the more accepted candidate with NOI quietly consenting behind the scene so I believe this is a kind of vendetta to her that's what goes around comes around so let her enjoy her defeat on the international stage.Good luck NOI.Defeatimg Obama's candidate is a defeat to America as a whole anud do any reasonable person in the. forum see that happening? common every reasonable Nairalander should wake up from this imaginary dream,me don Walt ray ray and for others keep on dreaming

You don't cram your way to glory in Harvard. Stop this pettiness.

2 Likes

Re: Jose Antonio Ocampo To Withdraw From World Bank Presidency Race by DukeNija(m): 7:53pm On Apr 13, 2012
She now has a chance.
Re: Jose Antonio Ocampo To Withdraw From World Bank Presidency Race by teezlycrest(m): 7:59pm On Apr 13, 2012
kiyosaki1: Fellow Nairalander let's not forget the way NOI has ruin the 9ja economic.NOI is just the typical product of 9ja education system that lay emphasise on grade so she cram to pass her way through havard,in a normal situation where we have a normal situation she is excellent but in abnormal situation like 9ja where she will be require to do a lot of analysis and reasoning then there is problem.She is better off as a lecturer or working in advance economy where there are normal people dealing with normal situation.I hope you are all student of history in the last PDP election despite the fact that Bamanga Tukur was not even loved in its constituent yet he defeated the more accepted candidate with NOI quietly consenting behind the scene so I believe this is a kind of vendetta to her that's what goes around comes around so let her enjoy her defeat on the international stage.Good luck NOI.Defeatimg Obama's candidate is a defeat to America as a whole anud do any reasonable person in the. forum see that happening? common every reasonable Nairalander should wake up from this imaginary dream,me don Walt ray ray and for others keep on dreaming

Who is this educated illiterate? Calling u a fool is wasting my letter F cus f is more important in scrabble than u. Is it the same havard i know that you re talkn about? Nigeria educational system did not fail me unlike you. Meanwhile, rote learning is not even easy.

1 Like

Re: Jose Antonio Ocampo To Withdraw From World Bank Presidency Race by DukeNija(m): 8:05pm On Apr 13, 2012
RUSSIA AND CHINA! BADBELLE. BIG LOSERS! angry angry tongue
Re: Jose Antonio Ocampo To Withdraw From World Bank Presidency Race by violent(m): 8:06pm On Apr 13, 2012
She now has a chance.

Questions:

what country/countries will vote for her?

what are the voting weights of these country?

why will they vote for her?

That Kenyan man - OBAMA will be put to shame veru very soon. We all rejoiced for him during his race, but what has he done for Africa? Nothing at all

This is just very silly.

1 Like

Re: Jose Antonio Ocampo To Withdraw From World Bank Presidency Race by Starlett: 8:13pm On Apr 13, 2012
The indications are rife on Quest Means Business this evening. I mean.. Ocampo stepping down should brighten NOI's chances. But the analysis on CNN still strongly suggests US nominee may carry the day afterall.

1 Like

Re: Jose Antonio Ocampo To Withdraw From World Bank Presidency Race by Ekhan1(m): 8:36pm On Apr 13, 2012
ZUBY77:

I am sure you are wondering how this could be bad for Nigeria.
We need Ngozi here. She is the best minister up there in Aso Rock. If this Ocampo guy withdraws, Ngozi will have more chances of winning. Being the head of world bank is good for her but we need her here.
you have spoken my mind. We surely need her here to assist GEJ.
Re: Jose Antonio Ocampo To Withdraw From World Bank Presidency Race by Youhesh(m): 8:39pm On Apr 13, 2012
violent:

If anyone thinks that in the run up to American elections, Obama will show weakness by allowing his nominee to lose in a position that is almost always exclusively reserved for Americans, then that person has no idea what world politics is all about.
you just hit the nail on the head. Tell them.
Re: Jose Antonio Ocampo To Withdraw From World Bank Presidency Race by chucky234(m): 8:50pm On Apr 13, 2012
I often wonder how these so called educated gurus on NL were able to graduate from the university with a Pass or Second Class lower grades,imagine people criticizing Obama for supporting KIM.
Obama is the president of the United States and the entire American citizens are interested in his vote, will GEJ vote Kim and leave NOI?
People should be sensible and read meaning to posts before commenting.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Say Hello To The Man Of The Moment (pictures) / Rotimi Amaechi Graduated With A Third Class From Uniport / BREAKING: Anambra Speaker Loses 3rd Term Bid As PDP Wins Nnewi South II

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.