Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,740 members, 7,827,730 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 03:55 PM

Extreme End! - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Extreme End! (3171 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Extreme End! by AlneriXXL: 9:08pm On Apr 13, 2012
Please I want your opinions on this. Adaora Onyechere of AIT, during the newspaper review on Kaakaki said "extreme end".I want to know if she is a qualified journalist for a company like DAAR.
Re: Extreme End! by nitrogen(m): 9:40pm On Apr 13, 2012
Repetition, mayb it was a mistake cos nobody is above that.
Re: Extreme End! by tanimola22: 12:11pm On Apr 15, 2012
It astonishes me when people judge one's capability/qualification based on occasional mistakes that one makes in spoken/written English language. Unless the judge himself/herself has been on camera, or in a very tensed environment, and still spoke the English language flawlessly well without any errors whatsoever, judging another person's ability in such an environment/situation is only funny, myopic, preposterous, judgmental and hypocritical, in my personal and humble view. Even Hilary Clinton and Barack Obama made some small mistakes during the tensed presidential debate(s) they both engaged in some years ago. Do we then question Barack Obama's qualification as an orator just because of the small mistakes he made in a very heated/tensed presidential debate some years ago?

I hear so many well-educated people say and write things like expantiate and all sorts. Some of these people are always praised by their peers, superiors and even foreigners for their fluency in the English language. Do we then conclude that they are not as fluent as people believe they are?

After having made repeated mistakes myself, I have learned not to ever criticize anybody's use of the English language. Unless the person's speaking or writing style is repeatedly appalling, I normally give a benefit of doubt.

Forever and ever, no human will be above mistakes. If the person likes let him practice from today till heaven comes, let him practice Britico and Americana accents, let him spend ages reading the original dictionary, he will never stop making mistakes. grin

Finally, for your knowledge and information, the usage of 'extreme end' is far from being wrong contextually. Learn from the words and sentences below. I copied them from http://www.thefreedictionary.com/extreme. You may also want to visit the site and learn more.

The sad truth of the matter is that we, as ordinary humans, are all learning. We will never stop making mistakes because learning itself implies making mistakes and maturing from the mistakes.

T22
********************************************************************************************************************************
extreme
adjective
1. great, high, highest, greatest, worst, supreme, acute, severe, maximum, intense, ultimate, utmost, mother of all (informal), uttermost people living in extreme poverty
great common, average, traditional, ordinary, reasonable, moderate, modest, mild, unremarkable
2. severe, radical, strict, harsh, stern, rigid, dire, drastic, uncompromising, unbending The scheme was rejected as being too extreme.
3. radical, unusual, excessive, exceptional, exaggerated, outrageous, over the top (slang), unreasonable, uncommon, unconventional, fanatical, zealous, out-and-out, inordinate, egregious, intemperate, immoderate, O.T.T. (slang) his extreme political views
radical moderate
4. farthest, furthest, far, final, last, ultimate, remotest, terminal, utmost, far-off, faraway, outermost, most distant, uttermost the room at the[i] extreme end[/i] of the corridor
farthest nearest

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

I Am Divided Between GTBANK And FBN! Pls Advise. / An Advice To The Youths Of Nigeria / Beware Of Chevron/texaco Jointcash Electro Raffle Promo Text (scam) .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.