Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,511 members, 7,819,847 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:07 AM

If Nigeria Is So Rich, Why Are Nigerians So Poor? - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / If Nigeria Is So Rich, Why Are Nigerians So Poor? (11149 Views)

Imagine If Nigeria's Past Heroes Were Instagram Users... Lmao See For Yaself / Why Africans Hate Nigerians So Much / How Did Rochas Okorocha Become So Rich?! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: If Nigeria Is So Rich, Why Are Nigerians So Poor? by strangerf: 9:20pm On Apr 15, 2012
Ekt Bear is thoroughly lecturing Ndu-Chuks. . .hahahahaha

In the land/forum of the utterly deluded & the mentally challenged, the half-brained Akata man is king. grin
Re: If Nigeria Is So Rich, Why Are Nigerians So Poor? by Tyahoo: 11:32pm On Apr 15, 2012
The reason is not far fetch! It is due to corruption dat has eaten the lives of many Nigerians..
Re: If Nigeria Is So Rich, Why Are Nigerians So Poor? by hustla242: 11:42pm On Apr 15, 2012
Nice post, I quite agree with you that we really can't afford to wait for electrification projects to come to fruition before we develop our country. Unfortunately, power is key to any developing economy; even agricultural projects you mentioned can be very power-intensive. Fair to say that the demand is no where near what it was in the 80s and there has been sort of a disconnection in investment in power generation between the early 80s and late 90s.

There are a few things I think we can attempt to do; we could focus on a service-based economy, this would require substantial investment into training programmes & education. I guess we can also look into sort of meduim scale farming for local consumption, this can actually take some pressure off inflation. There are other things we can look at like alternative energy sources. Ultimately, the pace of growth will remain very slow without enough electricity to power industries.
Re: If Nigeria Is So Rich, Why Are Nigerians So Poor? by sammie55(m): 12:14am On Apr 16, 2012
Simple, the reason is becuz.......................... undecided grin
Re: If Nigeria Is So Rich, Why Are Nigerians So Poor? by manny4life(m): 12:31am On Apr 16, 2012
If I understand ekt_bear's argument, I believe he's not saying there must be 100% total electrification, however, there must be to an extent readily available electricity that an average industrialist willing to go into manufacturing can plug in their machinery and produce whatever they wish to. In order words, unlike the breweries mentioned who spend tens or even hundreds of million of $$$ to create power plant and manufacturing, the entry will be minimized in terms of power.

How would you use such an approach when an average industrialist cannot afford $1million to build a power-plant? A better more subtle approach will be to create manufacturing complex/villages and electrify say 10miles within that area. Therefore, companies within that complex can have access to electricity, more like out of the box problem. So, if Mr. A wants to produce process wheat into flour, all he's doing is locate his company within 10miles of the manufacturing complex, sign a contract with the electricity company, import his machinery from China, source funding and start producing. He doesn't have to worry about sourcing $1million to create power-plant.

For instance, if a manufacturing complex or village is proposed in a Anambra state, it's easier for a company to provide out of the box service (electricity) to say 25/40/50/80 different manufacturers (directly)say within a 5/10/20mile radius.
Re: If Nigeria Is So Rich, Why Are Nigerians So Poor? by abioila(m): 12:46am On Apr 16, 2012
Dede1:

Let it be known to you that Nigeria can not and will not achieve an iota of what you have imagined with two international airports and one deep water seaport. You have attempted to dramatize daydreams induced by malaria.
grin grin grin grin grin
Re: If Nigeria Is So Rich, Why Are Nigerians So Poor? by chizstic: 1:17am On Apr 16, 2012
Cos we have greedy leaders that knowingly squander the money generated from our resources( crude oil,groundnut,cooton,agriculture etc) into their personal accounts either abroad, or buried in their secret chambers. Nigerians will not be as poor as dis if our leaders will speak the truth,what is the truth, been honest, accountability,equity,transparency, and justice, dat is wot a democratic government is all about. The fact remains dat our leaders will always have this mentality of " let me keep all the money to myself and generation to come" not knowing that dese are all vanity,we all will leave ds world some day, our leaders, wot legacy are u living behind?. Its ok, they can fool those that hasn't seen the light, not learned nigerians dat can count their teeth with their tongues. Corruption my dear should be reduced to its minimum level, since it can't be wipec off completely.if i
continue talking am gonna need the whole nairaland page to type,so am gonna stop here. We knw our probkems, wd hold our freedom, we alone can make ourselves live a beta life, its just to DO THE RIGHT THING.
Re: If Nigeria Is So Rich, Why Are Nigerians So Poor? by chizstic: 1:17am On Apr 16, 2012
Cos we have greedy leaders that knowingly squander the money generated from our resources( crude oil,groundnut,cooton,agriculture etc) into their personal accounts either abroad, or buried in their secret chambers. Nigerians will not be as poor as dis if our leaders will speak the truth,what is the truth, been honest, accountability,equity,transparency, and justice, dat is wot a democratic government is all about. The fact remains dat our leaders will always have this mentality of " let me keep all the money to myself and generation to come" not knowing that dese are all vanity,we all will leave ds world some day, our leaders, wot legacy are u living behind?. Its ok, they can fool those that hasn't seen the light, not learned nigerians dat can count their teeth with their tongues. Corruption my dear should be reduced to its minimum level, since it can't be wipec off completely.if i
continue talking am gonna need the whole nairaland page to type,so am gonna stop here. We knw our problems, wd hold our freedom, we alone can make ourselves live a beta life, its just to DO THE RIGHT THING.
Re: If Nigeria Is So Rich, Why Are Nigerians So Poor? by Borntoreign(m): 2:19am On Apr 16, 2012
I believe that Nigeria is neither rich nor poor. The problem in this country is the greediness of everyone-from the presidency to the citizens. If everyone sweep before his/her door. The whole street and city will be clean.
Re: If Nigeria Is So Rich, Why Are Nigerians So Poor? by basher(m): 10:12am On Apr 16, 2012
Callotti:

No dear.
I was only exercizing my beautiful akpu/hair-free. . .feminine muscles. cool

No quench o!

A preliminary survey of that bakassi shows that Nigerians are not poor! I just hope that the "REAL TIGER" you're with is deeply exploring and exploiting that abundant resource to its fullest capacity on a daily basis wink
Re: If Nigeria Is So Rich, Why Are Nigerians So Poor? by lanrock(m): 11:22am On Apr 16, 2012
IT IS TRUE THAT NIGERIA IS RICH, BUT THESE WEALTH IS ALWAYS BEEN BY SOME CABALS AND GOD WILL PUNISHE THEM. AMEN.
Re: If Nigeria Is So Rich, Why Are Nigerians So Poor? by emsquare(m): 11:56am On Apr 16, 2012
Callotti: Nigeria is not a wealthy country.
What is your criterion of labelling Nigeria a rich country?
You only have wealthy rogues.

Plain truth!
Re: If Nigeria Is So Rich, Why Are Nigerians So Poor? by otondo55: 12:55pm On Apr 16, 2012
...because of born-to-rule mentality.
wrong people in wrong position.
high expendure on maintaining government and its clouns.
Non interest of politicians in development of Nigeria entity.
Tribalism and Regionalism.

Above all, living side by side as a different entities, remains the best-bet for the poo-nation.
Re: If Nigeria Is So Rich, Why Are Nigerians So Poor? by meetmeonline: 1:03pm On Apr 16, 2012
I Know this very seller, I have bought some books from him in the past (just in front of C.M.S along Marina)...This Guy gets sales of over N5,000 and makes close to N2,000 daily...That's well above the International Poverty Line
Re: If Nigeria Is So Rich, Why Are Nigerians So Poor? by Zechy09: 1:15pm On Apr 16, 2012
Please why are nigerians always looking around for what / who to blame for everything? I have a few points i want to make clear (my opinion though):

1) The amount we spend in my office here in the UK on electricity bill is about 80% of what you will spend in Nigeria running a 100KVA generator - I have done the calculation. My point is Power is a problem but not a major impediment as people would like us beleive. Have you ever bothered asking yourself why many african countries have power but no major developement in Agriculture. ( Look around west africa and east africa).

My point is Uninterupted power will help but it is not what is holding us back.

2)People blame politicians for their being poor, many even feel they were better off during military as per dollar was 80naira then. Please remember a professors salary before Obj came in was 25K naira a month or slightly less. Now they earn 500k and are complaining. You remember dollar is just twice the amount it was before. We will not see that but we will complain. Politicians are corrupt, we know, I can assure you it has been worse but because internet usage was poor, you did not get the information.
Suggestion: Provide a service to the politicians and rich businessmen and you will be rewarded handsomely. Money still gets to move around.

3) Population to me is our greatest problem. When my dad was in university and even secondary school, he was being fed very well in school but now nobody feeds anyone because they were few in university then simple! Govt could afford that easily. Have you ever wondered why there are many poor people in china and india upon the economy is doing well? Its because of the population- everyone cannot receive from the govt.

Finally look around you and find the rich people, you will see they were able to overcome all these challenges and are doing very well in Naija. Even my company is doing a job in Naija (oil & gas) and they are overcoming all the challenges one after the other. Guys let's dust our clothes and move on from these excuses we give.

1 Like

Re: If Nigeria Is So Rich, Why Are Nigerians So Poor? by manosteel(m): 3:23pm On Apr 16, 2012
It is our destiny to be poor, so just embrace it wholeheartedly without grumbling.
Re: If Nigeria Is So Rich, Why Are Nigerians So Poor? by juman(m): 6:14pm On Apr 16, 2012
manosteel: It is our destiny to be poor, so just embrace it wholeheartedly without grumbling.
grin. No not our destiny.
Re: If Nigeria Is So Rich, Why Are Nigerians So Poor? by juman(m): 6:20pm On Apr 16, 2012
Present day nigeria is not a rich country because of long mis management.

The politicians are soooo lazy minded to the extent that their only contribution to the nation's economy is demanding for more allocation from Abuja.

Our solution is divided nigeria.
Re: If Nigeria Is So Rich, Why Are Nigerians So Poor? by kay1999: 6:35pm On Apr 16, 2012
The Answer is very simple and straight Forward NIGERIA IS A FAILURE AND CURSED NATION CHIKENNNAAAHHH~[b][/b]
Re: If Nigeria Is So Rich, Why Are Nigerians So Poor? by juman(m): 7:30pm On Apr 16, 2012
kay1999: The Answer is very simple and straight Forward NIGERIA IS A FAILURE AND CURSED NATION CHIKENNNAAAHHH~[b][/b]

Hmmm. Things will not continue like this forever.

The problems are enormous. Most politicians across parties are not serious.

Correcting the rot need alot of thinking and effort.
Re: If Nigeria Is So Rich, Why Are Nigerians So Poor? by omoekoni(m): 4:22pm On Apr 17, 2012
Simple. Nigeria's money is not in Nigeria. The wealthy people don't keep their money in Nigeria.

Its like having a warehouse full of engine oil, but you keep putting the engine oil in somebody's else's car and not your own car. Then you go around boasting that you have plenty of engine oil and yet your car isn't functioning.
Re: If Nigeria Is So Rich, Why Are Nigerians So Poor? by ebere1712: 2:36am On Apr 18, 2012
Nigeria's GDP would double just by a introducing a mere policy change. Every Local government must fend for itself. As we are speaking, local government councils are mere money collecting machines and dispensers. The amount of Government workers should be greatly reduced too. States and local governments have so much potential and are left untapped. This partly because the roles of these offices have been strictly described, informally, as that of consumption. People should seriously start demanding that their local government work to bring development in their communities. Because government office in Nigeria do not demand any form of work from its occupiers, it attracts the worst eggs in the basket full of bad eggs called Nigeria.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

EFCC Arrests Ex-PICOMSS Boss, Atawodi, Businessman For N600m Fraud(photos) / Convention: How PDP Governors Ignored BOT Advice / Udom Gives Scholarship To Brother Of Corper Who Died In Zamfara,Gives Mother N1m

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.