Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,788 members, 7,817,270 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:13 AM

$500M Shopping Mall To Be Built In Owerri - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / $500M Shopping Mall To Be Built In Owerri (14891 Views)

Onitsha Shopping Mall Commissioned By Obiano - Photos / Bua Group Builds $500m Cement Plant At Okpella / Africa's Largest ICT Mall To Be Built In Abuja (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: $500M Shopping Mall To Be Built In Owerri by omar22(m): 12:37pm On Apr 19, 2012
The news sounds fantastic and hey what can I say...

But when you think about it logically why would you build a half a Billion dollar Shopping maul in Owerri. Even in Lagos you cant just a shopping maul anywhere! their has to be a market for it. Westfield shopping centre was built in the east end on London and market guru still said it was a mistake the location is wrong, West London would be appropraite or Canary Wharf and that cost approx $1.4bn. Its a good move that could generate between 5k to 10k jobs but Market gurus would differ
Re: $500M Shopping Mall To Be Built In Owerri by Nobody: 12:44pm On Apr 19, 2012
kcswat: fake 9ja delta boy. Everybody is now a naija deltan jst to spew hate n division. Grow up

and what is this supose to mean?
Re: $500M Shopping Mall To Be Built In Owerri by Nobody: 12:45pm On Apr 19, 2012
pistol:

it will be a win win situation for the two regions.

Most of the goods that are gonna be sold in the shopping mall will be shipped via portharcour and calabar ports.

Also due to the higher purchasing power of folks in ph,they are gonna be a considerable nucleus of buyers in the shopping mall
quite explanatory thumbs up
Re: $500M Shopping Mall To Be Built In Owerri by Cargoed: 1:12pm On Apr 19, 2012
@afam4ever thats the problem now. You don't want to think regionally you want to only leave in G.R.A owerri and say you are developed. Okay if he can't plan a regional rail system let him link a rail line from Oguta lake to Owerri Airport. At least that will help much more than the mall. Develop the masses not the rich, they can always shop in Dubai and London. HE MUST BUILD RAIL RAIL RAIL if he wants to help the common man.
Re: $500M Shopping Mall To Be Built In Owerri by Afam4eva(m): 2:01pm On Apr 19, 2012
Cargoed: @afam4ever thats the problem now. You don't want to think regionally you want to only leave in G.R.A owerri and say you are developed. Okay if he can't plan a regional rail system let him link a rail line from Oguta lake to Owerri Airport. At least that will help much more than the mall. Develop the masses not the rich, they can always shop in Dubai and London. HE MUST BUILD RAIL RAIL RAIL if he wants to help the common man.

I'm not against regionalism. I'm just saying that Rochas has no business with cities in other states. The only thing he can do is to go into a regional project with other south-eastern governments.
Re: $500M Shopping Mall To Be Built In Owerri by poweredcom(m): 2:33pm On Apr 19, 2012
500 million usd thats just 75billion for a shoppin mall where the infrastructure are poor just another way to loot funds

1 Like

Re: $500M Shopping Mall To Be Built In Owerri by Phrankin(m): 2:56pm On Apr 19, 2012
GboyegaD: I actually think the amount is hyped somehow. Does she know $500million translates to N75billion? Anyways, I hope they build a massive shopping mall in Owerri as this would help create more jobs.
true, it can't be that much. Just try and put that amount in perspective.
Re: $500M Shopping Mall To Be Built In Owerri by slam7000(m): 3:10pm On Apr 19, 2012
What is the cost of the new shoprite shopping mall at enugu?anyone here knows?There is something very dubious about the $500m cost for the imo project,i doubt the credibility of this post,$500m is enough to construct more than 10 top shopping mall unless mr Rochas is trying to build another westfield stratford shopping mall.
Re: $500M Shopping Mall To Be Built In Owerri by Okijajuju1(m): 3:50pm On Apr 19, 2012
FATHER!!

When will this Man stop!!

WHEN!!

When will my fellow ndi Igbos open their eyes to see that this isnt what we need as a people. . .

Wetin concern government with supermarket?!

Rochas!! Are the people of Imo state this unenlightened or is it that the state is wretchedly backwards!! Other governments are busy investing in sustainable development such as transportation (Electric trains) case in point Rivers State and Enugu State, Power generation (Rivers, Akwa Ibom, Kano abi Sokoto) which will bring investors to their states and in turn Jobs would be created and money when they sell the excess energy to other states, Rochas is busy building AFRICAS TALLEST BUILDING, SUPERMARKET and PAYING Minors 100Naira (less than $1) a month salary. Tufiakwa for that man. . I weep for Imolites. .
Re: $500M Shopping Mall To Be Built In Owerri by FACE(m): 4:20pm On Apr 19, 2012
I am trying to understand how people are up in arms with Rochas when the article stated that the mall will be built by a consortium of private investors.

How is Rochas expected to wrestle the money off the investors and build power stations and electric trains instead?

As an investor,people should let me decide the type of business and place to invest my money. If I lose, it's my money lose; anyone that wants some other type of investment should put his money down or move aside.

1 Like

Re: $500M Shopping Mall To Be Built In Owerri by Afam4eva(m): 4:22pm On Apr 19, 2012
FACE: I am trying to understand how people are up in arms with Rochas when the article stated that the mall will be built by a consortium of private investors.

How is Rochas expected to wrestle the money off the investors and build power stations and electric trains instead?

As an investor,people should let me decide the type of business and place to invest my money. If I lose, it's my money lose; anyone that wants some other type of investment should put his money down or move aside.

People are always in a hurry to fight anything Rochas does that they don't even take their time to read thouroughly.

1 Like

Re: $500M Shopping Mall To Be Built In Owerri by FACE(m): 4:32pm On Apr 19, 2012
afam4eva:

People are always in a hurry to fight anything Rochas does that they don't even take their time to read thouroughly.

Na waa for some people. I just hope that Rochas maintains his current tempo; some people will just go and buy rope. Owerri and Imo are transforming and we no get time for bad belle.

1 Like

Re: $500M Shopping Mall To Be Built In Owerri by mbulela: 5:19pm On Apr 19, 2012
norrisman: To put things in perspective, Westfield Stratford City and Westfield White City shopping complexes in England were built for approximately $2 billion each.

$500 million sounds a lot for a shopping mall project in Nigeria let alone Owerri.

Wembley Stadium cost about £750 million to build. I would find it interesting if the NFF decided to build a new stadium in Nigeria for a quarter of that amount (c £185 million)
my dear, the whole thing sounds like a 419 scam.

1 Like

Re: $500M Shopping Mall To Be Built In Owerri by Demainman1: 5:26pm On Apr 19, 2012
This na 419 news. What does Imo need a Shopping centre of that capacity for? How many people can afford to shop there?

Put food for people table first. Invest in serious Palm oil business to generate the needed foreign exchange. Beautify owerri like Mbakwe did. Leave all this elephant projects and concentrate on real projects.
Re: $500M Shopping Mall To Be Built In Owerri by yankidelta(m): 6:53pm On Apr 19, 2012
GboyegaD: I actually think the amount is hyped somehow. Does she know $500million translates to N75billion? Anyways, I hope they build a massive shopping mall in Owerri as this would help create more jobs.
Exactly what  was going to say.That's Half a Billion Usd we are talking about.
Re: $500M Shopping Mall To Be Built In Owerri by LordNaya: 7:02pm On Apr 19, 2012
For God sake, THIS IS A PRIVATE SECTOR FUNDED PROJECT. Are people so daft that they cant comprehend simple english? If these BIG COMPANIES want to jointly establish a mega shopping mall in imo and have sent senator Annie Okonkwo to discuss with gov Rochas on ways he can assist them; then who are you to question their profit-oriented business decision? For your information, plans are on the to make Imo airport an international airport before 2015, while the Oguta port and owerrinta jetty would soon be completed; and considering the central location of Imo state in the old Eastern region, the benefits and advantages are enormous. The operation of railway and upgrading of an airport under law is the exclusive right of the federal govt. People blindly critising Gov Rochas should come and see the transformation in Imo State else shut your mouth. Mtchieeew!!!
Re: $500M Shopping Mall To Be Built In Owerri by nnacent(m): 6:13am On Apr 20, 2012
Excuse me, does anyone here knw d man Annie Okonkwo? Ibori is a lesser scam where he is. He is d owner of reltel wireless nw zoom mobile. Y wud Owelle b running tins wit dis scamish man. Dear nairalanders i shout in ur respective languages 'SCAM!, SCAM!!, SCAM!!!
Re: $500M Shopping Mall To Be Built In Owerri by MrEverest(m): 12:09pm On Apr 21, 2012
I joined nairaland because i tot it was a forum for intelectuals but it appears 2 hav been thrown 2 d dogs! Ppl hav been busy spewing gibberish or is it that they did not read the tread well or plain mischief @ work. Gov Rochas did not say he is building a mall rather he created an enabling environment dat attracted foreign investors in patnership with toprite. Were is the scam? Som1 shud pls enlighten me!
Re: $500M Shopping Mall To Be Built In Owerri by marlockj: 12:55pm On Apr 23, 2012
Dede1:

Bros, people of south-eastern region need three major infrastructural networks or linkages to get the region acts as economic bulk-walk of Nigeria. I honestly think that on the political side, there are, at least, five progressive governors in the region, thus, Chime, Okorocha, Imoke, Akpabio and Amaechi that should work diligently hard and jointly to see the networks of roads that joined the States in the region are dual carriage ways. They must mount pressure on the federal government so that the deepwater seaport at Ibaka or Abaka is completed sooner and the Port Harcourt international airport is upgraded and given more land rights than two.

In addition, the Enugu International airport should be upgrade and another deepwater seaport at Opobo should be given serious consideration.
my broda u nid 2 c d development in akwa ibom state by d governor.akwa is turnin 2 sumtin else.pple knws dat he has done well.bt wen u enter deir live u wil b shocked as i did
Re: $500M Shopping Mall To Be Built In Owerri by nnacent(m): 4:44pm On Apr 23, 2012
Mr Everest: I joined nairaland because i tot it was a forum for intelectuals but it appears 2 hav been thrown 2 d dogs! Ppl hav been busy spewing gibberish or is it that they did not read the tread well or plain mischief @ work. Gov Rochas did not say he is building a mall rather he created an enabling environment dat attracted foreign investors in patnership with toprite. Were is the scam? Som1 shud pls enlighten me!
i dnt like it wen slow pokes engage pple dat reason. Mr everest, ur username shows u are lykely a mugu. In nairaland were pple bear names such as efulefu and beaf. Ur own name is Mr. Everest. U are being alerted dat d owner of an ailing company(zoom mobile)whose political career has bin frustrated is talking about som outrageous investment in a state where he does nt belong. And u cant c dat he is jst seekin attention riding on rochas' succeses. May dis b d last time u'll b fooled. Miny, try change ur name 2 evoronto 1 or verisky 2 start with.
Re: $500M Shopping Mall To Be Built In Owerri by igbo2011(m): 6:13am On May 07, 2012
This is not always good news. We should be build factories, power plants and roads instead of malls. Malls are just glorified trading posts. Malls create jobs for about 1000 but 3 factories can create jobs for +1000. There is also money in packaging, distributing, and marketing. This will develop the economy of Nigeria. Here are ways to develop Nigeria's economy, go here: www.nigerianedp.com
Re: $500M Shopping Mall To Be Built In Owerri by eazyway212: 9:22pm On May 28, 2017
For your soil tests ; contact me, Engr. Ezekiel@ 08060244464.....We deliver in all types of soil tests

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Payment Of Royalty To Comandclem Patentees / EFCC Summons Dangote Officials To Abuja Over Alleged Forex Crime / Betting Companies In Kaduna Urge State Government To Lift Ban On Betting Shops

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.