Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,316 members, 7,811,944 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:23 AM

What Programming Languages Do I Need To Design A Site Like Nairaland? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / What Programming Languages Do I Need To Design A Site Like Nairaland? (9091 Views)

What Programming Language Is Best For You? / Top 15 Programming Languages To Learn 2014-2015 / Should A Beginner Learn 2 Programming Languages At Once? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Programming Languages Do I Need To Design A Site Like Nairaland? by accessroute: 2:33am On Apr 14, 2012
Pls what programming languages do i need to design a site like Nairaland? (school Assignment). Thanks
Re: What Programming Languages Do I Need To Design A Site Like Nairaland? by Jcjames(m): 8:29am On Apr 14, 2012
Visual studio
Re: What Programming Languages Do I Need To Design A Site Like Nairaland? by accessroute: 10:13am On Apr 14, 2012
Only?
Re: What Programming Languages Do I Need To Design A Site Like Nairaland? by Nobody: 10:44am On Apr 14, 2012
Wrong. Visual Studio is not a programming language but an IDE

6 Likes

Re: What Programming Languages Do I Need To Design A Site Like Nairaland? by delomos(m): 5:54pm On Apr 14, 2012
There are three main component to any web application [site]:
- the front-end (what you're currently looking at, or the pretty stuff, not that NL is really pretty but you get the gist)
- the server-side logic (language), that makes sure that when you click that submit button, it works, etc
- the database, that saves all this data, posts, friend request, etc

And there are tons of langauge that are responsible for make that happen
To design the front-end, you generally use: HTML/CSS/Javascript

the server-side programming language (any of this are popular these days): Python, Ruby, PHP and C#[ASP.NET]

For the database (any of these are popular): Oracle, MySQL, PostgreSQL and MSSQL

Generally, Google can help you with the rest.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Programming Languages Do I Need To Design A Site Like Nairaland? by Nairaplus(m): 11:40pm On Apr 14, 2012
delomos: There are three main component to any web application [site]:
- the front-end (what you're currently looking at, or the pretty stuff, not that NL is really pretty but you get the gist)
- the server-side logic (language), that makes sure that when you click that submit button, it works, etc
- the database, that saves all this data, posts, friend request, etc

the server-side programming language (any of this are popular these days): Python, Ruby, PHP and C#[ASP.NET]

For the database (any of these are popular): Oracle, MySQL, PostgreSQL and MSSQL

Generally, Google can help you with the rest.

@OP, this reply is all the answers you need summarized. All you need do now is Google every bit of information you have there. But remember, you only need one server-side and one backend together with all the frontend
Re: What Programming Languages Do I Need To Design A Site Like Nairaland? by GideonG(m): 2:44pm On Apr 23, 2012
For Nairaland, I think Seun used PHP at the beginning and ended up changing to Python....
But the afore mentioned comments really answered your question.
Re: What Programming Languages Do I Need To Design A Site Like Nairaland? by Martin55: 11:31am On Apr 24, 2012
[img]http://www.keyforex.info/Hardware.gif[/img]

1 Like

Re: What Programming Languages Do I Need To Design A Site Like Nairaland? by broswilli: 11:58am On Apr 25, 2012
To make ur life easy as a Nigerian with so many things to deal with like lack of electricity and limited time constraint. Start by learning HTML. If you are a natural Computer Geek U can learn it in 3 Weeks. Next you learn how to use CSS with HTML. You can learn this in five weeks. You can Optionally learn Javascript in four weeks. You can do the three simulteneosly but make sure you start with HTML. Now Start learning how to program for the Backend with PHP. Why i recommend PHP for a typical Nigerian learning to programme is becos PHP IS THE MOST POPULAR web programming language, tutorials, books and the software itself are free for download. You can also download free IDE TO WORK WITH (NETBEAN with PHP PLUGIN or ECLIPSE with PHP plugin).Next you need a database, for a typical Nigerian MySql is the best option for the reasons mentioned above. You can download Wamp server from the following http://www.wampserver.com/en/ and start developing with PHP AND MySql on windows.Note HTML and CSS Are not programming languages they are markup languages. If you want to learn these please visit http://www.w3schools.com

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Programming Languages Do I Need To Design A Site Like Nairaland? by malawi101(m): 1:05pm On Apr 25, 2012
Nairaland waz done using SMF
Re: What Programming Languages Do I Need To Design A Site Like Nairaland? by Beaf: 7:52pm On Apr 25, 2012
GideonG: For Nairaland, I think Seun used PHP at the beginning and ended up changing to Python....
But the afore mentioned comments really answered your question.
We should ask Seun why he dumped PHP. IMHO, Python is a 100% better choice for something as largescale as NL (for a number of reasons).
I hope Seun drops by to give a word or two.
Re: What Programming Languages Do I Need To Design A Site Like Nairaland? by broswilli: 11:28am On Apr 26, 2012
All programming Languages have their strenght and weaknesses PHP was specifically developed for web programming and it continues to lead in this job Python is a general purpose scripting language its also good for web programming but it would be a lot of work without using frameworks like Django or turbo gears. Visual basic 2.0 and upward are general purpose programing languages. Its not a good idea to use PHP to create a stand alone desktop application though it is possible using PHP GTK BUT THAT WOULD BE A LOT OF WORK. PHP Can be used for very large projects remember facebook uses PHP and mysql. PHP Can be scaled for Mega large projects by compiling and caching the source code
Re: What Programming Languages Do I Need To Design A Site Like Nairaland? by broswilli: 11:33am On Apr 26, 2012
If SMF is used for Naira Land it simply means Naira land is built with PHP and MYSQL. You can also use PHPBB TO CREATE SOMETHING SIMILAR. If you want a site like facebook use ELGG OR PLIGG. The list is endless
Re: What Programming Languages Do I Need To Design A Site Like Nairaland? by Kobojunkie: 2:13pm On Apr 26, 2012
@Poster, or you can simply purchase the Forum Package. I believe the company is still in business, and they have updated forum-ware too. grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: What Programming Languages Do I Need To Design A Site Like Nairaland? by freegistcom: 5:10pm On Apr 26, 2012
Version 2.0.2 is out for smf forum u can go to their site seun posted above for more info
Re: What Programming Languages Do I Need To Design A Site Like Nairaland? by Beaf: 11:53pm On Apr 26, 2012
broswilli: All programming Languages have their strenght and weaknesses PHP was specifically developed for web programming and it continues to lead in this job Python is a general purpose scripting language its also good for web programming but it would be a lot of work without using frameworks like Django or turbo gears. Visual basic 2.0 and upward are general purpose programing languages. Its not a good idea to use PHP to create a stand alone desktop application though it is possible using PHP GTK BUT THAT WOULD BE A LOT OF WORK. PHP Can be used for very large projects remember facebook uses PHP and mysql. PHP Can be scaled for Mega large projects by compiling and caching the source code
Dat one na lie, bro.
Facebook runs on C++. Who dash PHP?

HipHop for PHP isn't technically a compiler itself. Rather it is a source code transformer. HipHop programmatically transforms your PHP source code into highly optimized C++ and then uses g++ to compile it. HipHop executes the source code in a semantically equivalent manner and sacrifices some rarely used features — such as eval() — in exchange for improved performance. HipHop includes a code transformer, a reimplementation of PHP's runtime system, and a rewrite of many common PHP Extensions to take advantage of these performance optimizations.
http://developers.facebook.com/blog/post/2010/02/02/hiphop-for-php--move-fast

https://github.com/facebook/hiphop-php
Re: What Programming Languages Do I Need To Design A Site Like Nairaland? by Seun(m): 12:15am On Apr 27, 2012
Version 2.0.2 is out for smf forum u can go to their site seun posted above for more info
We don't use SMF anymore. We use our own script now.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Programming Languages Do I Need To Design A Site Like Nairaland? by broswilli: 10:46am On Apr 30, 2012
Beaf:
Dat one na lie, bro.

Facebook as a company is one of the most powerful supporters of PHP and they are involved in building compilers for PHP. Please be informed that all scripting languages are interpreted to C or C++ including PHP so building a powerful interpreter means compiling to C OR C++ so i didn't lie if someone is employed as a programmer for facebook you are employed either as a PHP programmer OR A C OR C++ Programmer. The C/C++ Programmers are employed to build better compilers for PHP which Facebook releases as Opensource software While the PHP programmers are employed as the core application developers. You don't say someone's post is a lie just because you have a different point of view it doesn't help a developing community. Please be informed that Google Supports Python and are using an Optimized version of the interpreter just like facebook
Re: What Programming Languages Do I Need To Design A Site Like Nairaland? by broswilli: 12:25pm On Apr 30, 2012
Beaf:
Dat one na lie, bro.

I guess you're not a developer from your post a typical face book URL looks like this https://www.facebook.com/index.php?stype=lo&lh=Ac8CGpJi7c9djYZz the index.php part of the url indicates that the page is submitted to a PHP Script and facebook is a proud supporter of PHP THAT IS WHY THEY DIDN'T HIDE THE INDEX.PHP PART OF THE URL. Becos u're ignorant you fail to understand that most web developers don't use C or C++ FOR WEB DEVELOPMENT BECAUSE IT IS NOT PRACTICAL TO DO SO EXCEPT YOU BUILD ON TOP OF ANOTHER FRAMEWORK LIKE ASP.NET, besides if you want to built a PHP Extension you build it using C OR C++. You can state your opinion without calling someone a liar

3 Likes

Re: What Programming Languages Do I Need To Design A Site Like Nairaland? by Rhino5dm: 7:42pm On May 08, 2012
Mu he he he. grin grin

broswilli:

I guess you're not a developer from your post a typical face book URL looks like this https://www.facebook.com/index.php?stype=lo&lh=Ac8CGpJi7c9djYZz the index.php part of the url indicates that the page is submitted to a PHP Script and facebook is a proud supporter of PHP THAT IS WHY THEY DIDN'T HIDE THE INDEX.PHP PART OF THE URL. Becos u're ignorant you fail to understand that most web developers don't use C or C++ FOR WEB DEVELOPMENT BECAUSE IT IS NOT PRACTICAL TO DO SO EXCEPT YOU BUILD ON TOP OF ANOTHER FRAMEWORK LIKE ASP.NET, besides if you want to built a PHP Extension you build it using C OR C++. You can state your opinion without calling someone a liar
Re: What Programming Languages Do I Need To Design A Site Like Nairaland? by Beaf: 12:50am On May 09, 2012
broswilli:

Did you even read the link I posted?
I wonder why some Nigerians mistake the fact that they can be loud for IQ points. You've only shown yourself up, bro.

Kill yourself if you like. Facebook runs on C++.
Re: What Programming Languages Do I Need To Design A Site Like Nairaland? by Beaf: 12:57am On May 09, 2012
broswilli:

Facebook as a company is one of the most powerful supporters of PHP and they are involved in building compilers for PHP. Please be informed that all scripting languages are interpreted to C or C++ including PHP so building a powerful interpreter means compiling to C OR C++ so i didn't lie if someone is employed as a programmer for facebook you are employed either as a PHP programmer OR A C OR C++ Programmer. The C/C++ Programmers are employed to build better compilers for PHP which Facebook releases as Opensource software While the PHP programmers are employed as the core application developers. You don't say someone's post is a lie just because you have a different point of view it doesn't help a developing community. Please be informed that Google Supports Python and are using an Optimized version of the interpreter just like facebook

Every word you have written above is a lie, bro.

"All scripting languages are interpreted to C or C++?" Lolzzzz!!
You should take more interest in comedy.
Re: What Programming Languages Do I Need To Design A Site Like Nairaland? by GideonG(m): 7:44am On May 09, 2012
facebook was initially on PHP until they used HIPHOP to convert the codes to C++.
Right now Facebook run on C++(BackEnd) with a PHP front end template.

Both of you are right but you guys need to read the explanation done by facebook converting their PHP code to C++
go google HIPHOP for PHP and follow the facebook link.

Thanks

1 Like

Re: What Programming Languages Do I Need To Design A Site Like Nairaland? by Beaf: 1:21pm On May 09, 2012
GideonG: facebook was initially on PHP until they used HIPHOP to convert the codes to C++.
Right now Facebook run on C++(BackEnd) with a PHP front end template.

Both of you are right but you guys need to read the explanation done by facebook converting their PHP code to C++
go google HIPHOP for PHP and follow the facebook link.
Thanks

Thanks, sir.
I've given more or less the same explanation as you've provided above several times on NL, but people continue to parade the falsehood that Facebook runs on PHP.
It did initially, as you've pointed out, but it was found to be too slow as the site grew bigger.

I doubt people like broswilli know any of this stuff; he even thinks that all scripted languages are interpreted to C or C++! Whereas, even regular PHP, the subject of our discussion, is not. There is a sad state of awareness amongst Nigerian IT guys; its something that urgently needs fixing.
Re: What Programming Languages Do I Need To Design A Site Like Nairaland? by Rhino5dm: 3:13pm On May 10, 2012
You low IQ will always betray you. O'lodo cool

Beaf:

Thanks, sir.
I've given more or less the same explanation as you've provided above several times on NL, but people continue to parade the falsehood that Facebook runs on PHP.
It did initially, as you've pointed out, but it was found to be too slow as the site grew bigger.

I doubt people like broswilli know any of this stuff; he even thinks that all scripted languages are interpreted to C or C++! Whereas, even regular PHP, the subject of our discussion, is not. There is a sad state of awareness amongst Nigerian IT guys; its something that urgently needs fixing.
Re: What Programming Languages Do I Need To Design A Site Like Nairaland? by Beaf: 8:39pm On May 10, 2012
Rhino.5dm:
You low IQ will always betray you. O'lodo cool

Id!ots like you neither know what PHP is nor what C++ is (since they aint bits of gutter rumour).
Poor houseboy! Go and wash oga's car (and make sure you don't use bleach). Ode!

Dunce, tell us about the PHP execution pipeline now that your equally [b]"clever" broswilli [/b]has done a rather sharp dissapearing act.
Re: What Programming Languages Do I Need To Design A Site Like Nairaland? by Rhino5dm: 1:03pm On May 11, 2012
Yeah, coming from 'Mr' facebook don't use PHP. Keep your low IQ outta ma range. O'lodo.

Beaf:

Id!ots like you neither know what PHP is nor what C++ is (since they aint bits of gutter rumour).
Poor houseboy! Go and wash oga's car (and make sure you don't use bleach). Ode!

Dunce, tell us about the PHP execution pipeline now that your equally [b]"clever" broswilli [/b]has done a rather sharp dissapearing act.
Re: What Programming Languages Do I Need To Design A Site Like Nairaland? by ektbear: 12:22am On May 12, 2012
You can do it in any language.

To reduce the amount of hours you spend writing, probably a scripting language would be best. Ruby (on Rails), Python, PHP, etc.

However, the smartest thing to do is to take an existing forum software and customize it for your own purposes.

A lot less time-consuming to learn someone else's code (assuming it is GOOD code at least), than to write your own from scratch.

No point reinventing the wheel.
Re: What Programming Languages Do I Need To Design A Site Like Nairaland? by DaPinkHackeR(m): 8:32pm On Oct 30, 2013
Poor Nigerians never seize bagaining. Have you all finish writting your swahilli?

If yes then get to the answer of the question the young man asked.

grinNOWI wouldn't like to repeat this same post in any topic here again.

You are warned for the last time.
Re: What Programming Languages Do I Need To Design A Site Like Nairaland? by jalasan: 4:40pm On Jul 17, 2014
Check out this site, it's build with PHP

(1) (2) (Reply)

Which Phone Will You Recommend For A Programmer? / The Travails Of Junior Developers / Ccna Certification

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.