Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,369 members, 7,812,087 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:55 AM

What Programming Languages Do I Need To Design A Site Like Nairaland? - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / What Programming Languages Do I Need To Design A Site Like Nairaland? (9092 Views)

What Programming Language Is Best For You? / Top 15 Programming Languages To Learn 2014-2015 / Should A Beginner Learn 2 Programming Languages At Once? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Programming Languages Do I Need To Design A Site Like Nairaland? by fattbabakay(m): 2:06pm On Jul 19, 2014
jalasan: Check out this site, it's build with PHP
wea is d site??
Re: What Programming Languages Do I Need To Design A Site Like Nairaland? by beatzbyraiyub(m): 3:56pm On Jul 19, 2014
When i first saw other people's comments, i jst laughed at their lack of knowledge in creating a forum sites. 4get about wat everyone is saying. Its easy but it takes alot to setup a forum site like nairaland. I use to fancy d idea until i develop strong interest for mobile game app sector. Well, no knowledge is a waste; at least today i can advise anyone on wat programming language to take in order to accomplish a specific task. @op, cuz dia are over 42 languages and each serve a purpose. first u need to learn d basics of html/css and is not dat compulsory as it applies to customizing d forum sofware in such a way u can place ads banners on it,etc next step, u get a shared hosting/dedicated hosting plan from a hosting company, den hire someone on contract, that is well specialized in php/mysql server-side to install & configure d forum software for you. Den u are on like magic. And u can control d admin side of ur forum frm a tapatalk mobile app, if u like- List of forum softwares=xenforo, vbulletin v3, vanilla, fluxbb etc at least xenforo forum software is easier n more preventing frm hacking. Sites using it are riseforum.com/pennyarcades.com/digitalpoint etc but if u still wan somtin exactly like dz forum, jst go and master only python programming language.

1 Like

Re: What Programming Languages Do I Need To Design A Site Like Nairaland? by CodeHouse: 4:16pm On Jul 21, 2014
GideonG: For Nairaland, I think Seun used PHP at the beginning and ended up changing to Python....
But the afore mentioned comments really answered your question.

Nairaland is not built from scratch it is built using a forum software and over time tweaked to what you see presently.
Re: What Programming Languages Do I Need To Design A Site Like Nairaland? by asalimpo(m): 11:21am On Jul 22, 2014
CodeHouse:

Nairaland is not built from scratch it is built using a forum software and over time tweaked to what you see presently.

are you sure of this statement?
Its communicated tht the entire forum software had been completely re written in python,in-house.
Re: What Programming Languages Do I Need To Design A Site Like Nairaland? by CodeHouse: 4:40pm On Jul 22, 2014
asalimpo:

are you sure of this statement?
Its communicated tht the entire forum software had been completely re written in python,in-house.

Your question confirms it..Like I said, the whole software has been tweaked, hence the nairaland you see today.
Re: What Programming Languages Do I Need To Design A Site Like Nairaland? by ANTONINEUTRON(m): 5:12pm On Oct 25, 2015
NICE LEARNING
Re: What Programming Languages Do I Need To Design A Site Like Nairaland? by teampregar(m): 11:50pm On Oct 25, 2015
broswilli:
To make ur life easy as a Nigerian with so many things to deal with like lack of electricity and limited time constraint. Start by learning HTML. If you are a natural Computer Geek U can learn it in 3 Weeks. Next you learn how to use CSS with HTML. You can learn this in five weeks. You can Optionally learn Javascript in four weeks. You can do the three simulteneosly but make sure you start with HTML. Now Start learning how to program for the Backend with PHP. Why i recommend PHP for a typical Nigerian learning to programme is becos PHP IS THE MOST POPULAR web programming language, tutorials, books and the software itself are free for download. You can also download free IDE TO WORK WITH (NETBEAN with PHP PLUGIN or ECLIPSE with PHP plugin).Next you need a database, for a typical Nigerian MySql is the best option for the reasons mentioned above. You can download Wamp server from the following http://www.wampserver.com/en/ and start developing with PHP AND MySql on windows.Note HTML and CSS Are not programming languages they are markup languages. If you want to learn these please visit http://www.w3schools.com
I learnt html,javascript,css and php in 1 week each.

3 Likes

Re: What Programming Languages Do I Need To Design A Site Like Nairaland? by MOM1(m): 6:47pm On Oct 27, 2015
Does anyone knows how to use the Oracle Virtual Machine?
Re: What Programming Languages Do I Need To Design A Site Like Nairaland? by ossy4rill: 7:45pm On Nov 01, 2015
PHP,

Buy a hosting plan that supports PHP and MySQL , Install PHPBB
Re: What Programming Languages Do I Need To Design A Site Like Nairaland? by vision202020: 12:21pm On Jun 15, 2018
teampregar:
I learnt html,javascript,css and php in 1 week each.
How? Please shed more light on how you leant these languages in a week
Re: What Programming Languages Do I Need To Design A Site Like Nairaland? by tollyboy5(m): 6:30pm On Jun 16, 2018
DaPinkHackeR:
Poor Nigerians never seize bagaining. Have you all finish writting your swahilli?

If yes then get to the answer of the question the young man asked.

grinNOWI wouldn't like to repeat this same post in any topic here again.

You are warned for the last time.
I tire o! I'm sure its Lagos guys that are always bashing themselves everytime. back to Topic @op Corel draw wud b d best for cloning nairaland
Re: What Programming Languages Do I Need To Design A Site Like Nairaland? by NobleEugene5(m): 4:51pm On Sep 22, 2020
PHP is probably the best and easiest language a forum can be written in.

1 Like

Re: What Programming Languages Do I Need To Design A Site Like Nairaland? by NobleEugene5(m): 4:49pm On Sep 26, 2020
Beaf:

Every word you have written above is a lie, bro.

"All scripting languages are interpreted to C or C++?" Lolzzzz!!
You should take more interest in comedy.
What are you even saying
Re: What Programming Languages Do I Need To Design A Site Like Nairaland? by Kingvick: 2:33pm On Sep 28, 2020
Checkout my Nairaland like site built with php https://storyler.com
Re: What Programming Languages Do I Need To Design A Site Like Nairaland? by NobleEugene5(m): 9:49pm On Oct 04, 2020
Kingvick:
Checkout my Nairaland like site built with php
https://storyler.com
U wrote this in PHP?... nice
Re: What Programming Languages Do I Need To Design A Site Like Nairaland? by Leeafrica: 12:00pm On Jul 19, 2021

(1) (2) (Reply)

Which Phone Will You Recommend For A Programmer? / The Travails Of Junior Developers / Ccna Certification

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.