Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,044 members, 7,814,574 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 03:27 PM

Muslims Still Think The Earth Is Flat. - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Muslims Still Think The Earth Is Flat. (4916 Views)

Why Are Muslims Still Raw Over The Crusades? / You Still Think That Islam Is The Problem?! / Is The Earth Flat? According To Allah? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Muslims Still Think The Earth Is Flat. by LogicMind: 9:31am On Apr 14, 2012
That is why they think they "face mecca" when they pray.

No. Except you are in the vicinity of mecca, you are not facing mecca when you pray.

Now some will argue that with the roundness of earth, if you trace a curve instead of a straight line from your head position, it will end up in mecca. Well, with this argument your aass is also "facing mecca" so you might as well face the other way round.
Re: Muslims Still Think The Earth Is Flat. by tbaba1234: 9:48am On Apr 14, 2012
Logic Mind: That is why they think they "face mecca" when they pray.

No. Except you are in the vicinity of mecca, you are not facing mecca when you pray.

Now some will argue that with the roundness of earth, if you trace a curve instead of a straight line from your head position, it will end up in mecca. Well, with this argument your aass is also "facing mecca" so you might as well face the other way round.

Olodo!!

How to calculate qibla direction

By definition, the direction between two points on a sphere is along the shortest path that connects the two points on the surface of the sphere. It is known that such a shortest path lies on an arc of a great circle, i.e., a circle that passes through the two points and is centered at the center of the sphere.

Since Earth has a spherical shape, we can use the formula for great circle to find qibla direction for any point on the Earth. Indeed, this direction can be easily computed using the following one-line formula:

where (φ1, λ1) is the latitude-longitude of your location, and (φ2, λ2) = (21.42, 39.83) is the latitude-longitude of Ka’ba. The returned value, α, specifies the angle of qibla clockwise from true North.

http://eqibla.com/docs/

4 Likes

Re: Muslims Still Think The Earth Is Flat. by LogicMind: 10:11am On Apr 14, 2012
tbaba1234:

Olodo!!

By definition, the direction between two points on a sphere is along the shortest path that connects the two points on the surface of the sphere. It is known that such a shortest path lies on an arc of a great circle, i.e., a circle that passes through the two points and is centered at the center of the sphere.

Since Earth has a spherical shape, we can use the formula for great circle to find qibla direction for any point on the Earth. Indeed, this direction can be easily computed using the following one-line formula:

where (φ1, λ1) is the latitude-longitude of your location, and (φ2, λ2) = (21.42, 39.83) is the latitude-longitude of Ka’ba. The returned value, α, specifies the angle of qibla clockwise from true North.

An arc, my dear mathematician, is a curve. If you trace an arc around the earth from your standing point facing forward, you know where that arc will end up? On your AASS. Yes, it goes round and comes up right behind you. Does that mean that you are facing your aass? Because that's what your fuckin' formula shows.

Re: Muslims Still Think The Earth Is Flat. by uncover: 11:16am On Apr 14, 2012
@logic/illogical mind.
So when you face your mother and are talking to her you are facing her aass/ass right? undecided cool
Re: Muslims Still Think The Earth Is Flat. by LogicMind: 11:21am On Apr 14, 2012
uncover: @logic/illogical mind.
So when you face your mother and are talking to her you are facing her "ass" right?:|:|8-) undecided

well it depend on whether her asss is in mecca
Re: Muslims Still Think The Earth Is Flat. by uncover: 11:25am On Apr 14, 2012
Or ontop the bible smiley
Re: Muslims Still Think The Earth Is Flat. by deols(f): 2:44pm On Apr 14, 2012
uncover: @logic/illogical mind.
So when you face your mother and are talking to her you are facing her aass/ass right? undecided cool

hahahahaha! very logical answer. i have told the logic mind his name betrays him. He really should av a change of name.
Re: Muslims Still Think The Earth Is Flat. by LogicMind: 3:16pm On Apr 14, 2012
deols:

hahahahaha! very logical answer. i have told the logic mind his name betrays him. He really should av a change of name.

your mind can't understand simple geomerty, can it?
oh sorry, it's not in the koraan. your book of logic.
Re: Muslims Still Think The Earth Is Flat. by LogicMind: 3:26pm On Apr 14, 2012
Also using the tbaba1234 islamic logic, someone at the opposite end of mecca on earth can face any side he wants and still be "facing mecca".

And those standing a few miles away around him will all be facing different directions!

Show me the logic in that.
Re: Muslims Still Think The Earth Is Flat. by Sweetnecta: 4:24pm On Apr 14, 2012
if logic mind is in kano and he wants to drive to lagos, will it not be enough that he starts by southward and tilting ever so slightly to his right as if going to republic of Benin? If he does that and says so long to his friend, the friend will not announce that logic mind is heading to Niger republic.

It has been calculated that Muslims in Hawaai will face the true north while those in New York City will face north easterly. Approximation is key even when you are in the field without a compass. If you are in the eastern part of the earth to Makka, you know you will face westerly to it and accuracy depends on the curvature of the earth based on your longitude and latitude position. The closer to the equator the the more you face east if you are in the west, reason people face east in southern Nigeria.

What if you are in Makka; east, west, north or south of Kaaba? You simply face Kaaba inside Masjid Haraam.

We know our location, logic mind. You may just have to use Google earth to locate your position relative to Makka. I know mine, already.
Re: Muslims Still Think The Earth Is Flat. by Sweetnecta: 4:24pm On Apr 14, 2012
if logic mind is in kano and he wants to drive to lagos, will it not be enough that he starts by southward and tilting ever so slightly to his right as if going to republic of Benin? If he does that and says so long to his friend, the friend will not announce that logic mind is heading to Niger republic.

It has been calculated that Muslims in Hawaai will face the true north while those in New York City will face north easterly. Approximation is key even when you are in the field without a compass. If you are in the eastern part of the earth to Makka, you know you will face westerly to it and accuracy depends on the curvature of the earth based on your longitude and latitude position. The closer to the equator the the more you face east if you are in the west, reason people face east in southern Nigeria.

What if you are in Makka; east, west, north or south of Kaaba? You simply face Kaaba inside Masjid Haraam.

We know our location, logic mind. You may just have to use Google earth to locate your position relative to Makka. I know mine, already.
Re: Muslims Still Think The Earth Is Flat. by LogicMind: 5:37pm On Apr 14, 2012
Sweetnecta: if logic mind is in kano and he wants to drive to lagos, will it not be enough that he starts by southward and tilting ever so slightly to his right as if going to republic of Benin? If he does that and says so long to his friend, the friend will not announce that logic mind is heading to Niger republic.

Is it too hard for you muslims to imagine or can't you accept scientific evidence like the christians already did? If you are trying to do damage control, you are taking it the wrong way.

Let's say I want to fly to lagos in a straight line from the north, I will go the direction you indicated but I can also decide to go the opposite direction and still end up in lagos. Because the earth is ROUND! We go round. Whenever we travel, we go in an arc.

Your arguments makes sense if and only if the earth is not round. Unfortunately for you, earth is round. Not flat, not a cone. Round like a ball.

Take mecca as the mid point ont top. everyone from the equator upwards will be facing mecca if they look northwards. But people below the equator, especially those closest to the bottom will be looking at mecca from different directions and facing away from each other.

It really is so simple I can't understand your incomprehension.

There is a point in the pacific where if you are on a boat, you could face any direction and still be facing mecca. angry Think about it and please conclude that whoever told you to face mecca did think that the earth was flat.
Re: Muslims Still Think The Earth Is Flat. by Maisuya1: 8:12pm On Apr 14, 2012
Abeg make una let logic mind be, ok oga illogic mind when flying to Lagos from Kano instead of going southwards through kaduna, Niger, Abuja ogun and then Lagos for 30,000 naira, you can go northwards from Kano through Niger, Mali, Algeria, Europe, north pole, Asia, south china sea, Australia, south pole, south Africa, central African republic and then Lagos. I guess that's cheaper and more logical? grin

Dude get off whatever you are smooking, if I say face north, in your reverse reasoning since the earth is spherical then any one facing north is actually facing south? Common man read what your username says and act it.

2 Likes

Re: Muslims Still Think The Earth Is Flat. by Maisuya1: 8:20pm On Apr 14, 2012
Logic Mind:

Take mecca as the mid point ont top. everyone from the equator upwards will be facing mecca if they look northwards. But people below the equator, especially those closest to the bottom will be looking at mecca from different directions and facing away from each other.

It really is so simple I can't understand your incomprehension.
t.

Sorry logic mind ignore my previous post I get your point from the quote above.

U see when you look at people preying in Mecca around the Kaaba they form a circle around it(ie those at the south of it face north, those at the north face south, those at the west of ot face east and those at the east face west, in ESSENSE they form a ring arround the Kaaba) now imagine this ring expanding globally the same still holds ie those south of Mecca(where the Kaaba is) face north and those north face south and on and on. So the Kaaba is just a reference point, I hope you get it now

You can use this rule, the shortest distance between two points is a straight line. So let every one face the direction which optimises this rule.
Re: Muslims Still Think The Earth Is Flat. by LogicMind: 9:07pm On Apr 14, 2012
Mai-suya:

Sorry logic mind ignore my previous post I get your point from the quote above.

U see when you look at people preying in Mecca around the Kaaba they form a circle around it(ie those at the south of it face north, those at the north face south, those at the west of ot face east and those at the east face west, in ESSENSE they form a ring arround the Kaaba) now imagine this ring expanding globally the same still holds ie those south of Mecca(where the Kaaba is) face north and those north face south and on and on. So the Kaaba is just a reference point, I hope you get it now

You can use this rule, the shortest distance between two points is a straight line. So let every one face the direction which optimises this rule.

At last, someone is seeing sense.
So continue to imagine this ring expanding. Aftet crossing the mid-point of earth, it will start to contract and converge and all those people who were facing each other at first will be facing away from each other (while still "facing" mecca), until they reach a point where it doesn't matter which way they face, they'll still be "facing" mecca.
Re: Muslims Still Think The Earth Is Flat. by Maisuya1: 9:38pm On Apr 14, 2012
For argument sake let's assume the Kaaba was on the north pole, any body facing northwards with a litle tilt eastwards or westwards depending on your position would be facing the north pole - our hypothetical Kaaba. Be you at the tropic of cancer or capricon there will always be one north - north pole- Kaaba - qibla. I hope you get it. The golden rule is the shortest distance between two points is a straight line, use that and you will always get your qibla. Now you will have to tell us which country are having the problem of two qibla and prove that there are two qiblas, other wise your claim will remain a hypothetical guesswork at best.
Re: Muslims Still Think The Earth Is Flat. by LogicMind: 9:41pm On Apr 14, 2012
Mai-suya:
Abeg make una let logic mind be, ok oga illogic mind when flying to Lagos from Kano instead of going southwards through kaduna, Niger, Abuja ogun and then Lagos for 30,000 naira, you can go northwards from Kano through Niger, Mali, Algeria, Europe, north pole, Asia, south china sea, Australia, south pole, south Africa, central African republic and then Lagos. I guess that's cheaper and more logical? grin

Dude get off whatever you are smooking, if I say face north, in your reverse reasoning since the earth is spherical then any one facing north is actually facing south? Common man read what your username says and act it.

Although you asked me to ignore this post, i feel obliged to reply. It is not about money or distance but about direction. If the earth is flat, you can only face mecca on one direction. If the earth is round you can face mecca in two directions (not really facing but looping through an arc) and on a point opposite mecca, you can face it in any direction.

So your mentor thought the earth was flat, and you still pray with the assumption you can only face it in one direction thus also assuming it was flat.
Re: Muslims Still Think The Earth Is Flat. by LogicMind: 9:48pm On Apr 14, 2012
Mai-suya:
For argument sake let's assume the Kaaba was on the north pole, any body facing northwards with a litle tilt eastwards or westwards depending on your position would be facing the north pole - our hypothetical Kaaba. Be you at the tropic of cancer or capricon there will always be one north - north pole- Kaaba - qibla. I hope you get it. The golden rule is the shortest distance between two points is a straight line, use that and you will always get your qibla. Now you will have to tell us which country are having the problem of two qibla and prove that there are two qiblas, other wise your claim will remain a hypothetical guesswork at best.

The highlighted shows your confusion and therein lies the problem. None of you face mecca in a straight line. If you are facing a straight line, the you are facing outer space because once again, the earth is not flat. Change your golden rule and use the formula by tbaba1234. You lot face mecca following an arc, not a stright line!

And once again, it's not about distance but direction.
Re: Muslims Still Think The Earth Is Flat. by Maisuya1: 10:11pm On Apr 14, 2012
Does it changes anything? Ok the shortest distance between two points on earth is the shortest arc! Happy now. The original straight line I used earlier was what we used to use in spartial analysis and town planing. But none the less, how many north pole would there be from my previous example?
Re: Muslims Still Think The Earth Is Flat. by tiarabubu: 10:28pm On Apr 14, 2012
tbaba1234:

Olodo!!

@tbaba

No disrespect intended.

from your submission, Nigerian Muslims should be facing approximately NNE (North North East) or about 15° N to actually face the kaaba. Else if they face east they will be facing (Looking at the world map) Cameroun, East African Republic, Kenya, India, Indonesia, Brazil, Ghana and back to where they started. the Kaaba is thus missed.

likewise Egyptians and somalis should face North (almost ) and some countries in former Russia should face south.

What's your take on this?

Thanks
Re: Muslims Still Think The Earth Is Flat. by LogicMind: 10:52pm On Apr 14, 2012
Mai-suya:
Does it changes anything? Ok the shortest distance between two points on earth is the shortest arc! Happy now. The original straight line I used earlier was what we used to use in spartial analysis and town planing. But none the less, how many north pole would there be from my previous example?

Do you agree then that at some point, people facing mecca will be facing away from each other?
Re: Muslims Still Think The Earth Is Flat. by Maisuya1: 10:56pm On Apr 14, 2012
Logic Mind:

Do you agree then that at some point, people facing mecca will be facing away from each other?
We were never facing each other in the first place we were facing the Kaaba/Mecca! It just seemed so at the start, the point of reference should be Mecca and not ourselves
Re: Muslims Still Think The Earth Is Flat. by LogicMind: 11:20pm On Apr 14, 2012
Mai-suya:

We were never facing each other in the first place we were facing the Kaaba/Mecca! It just seemed so at the start, the point of reference should be Mecca and not ourselves

So my point should be ignored as it doesn't fit into your narative? your religion seems to disagree with you. It requires YOU to face mecca wherever you may be thus making you the point of reference. Imagine finding yourself with someone at the opposite point of mecca on earth and want to pray. you face one way and he faces the other, one of you will surely tell the other one that he was wrong and probably debate or even kill yourselves due to ignorance.

I will open another thread soon about how stupid this whole facing mecca thing is.

stay tuned.
Re: Muslims Still Think The Earth Is Flat. by Maisuya1: 12:25am On Apr 15, 2012
Logic Mind:

So my point should be ignored as it doesn't fit into your narative? your religion seems to disagree with you. It requires YOU to face mecca wherever you may be thus making you the point of reference. Imagine finding yourself with someone at the opposite point of mecca on earth and want to pray. you face one way and he faces the other, one of you will surely tell the other one that he was wrong and probably debate or even kill yourselves due to ignorance.

I will open another thread soon about how stupid this whole facing mecca thing is.

stay tuned.
I suppose that's where you confuse yourself. How can London facing Mecca and USA facing Mecca make USA or UK or both in ur reasoning the reference point? With all due respect is that logical? How can asking all of us to face Mecca make all of us the reference point? Thought Mecca will be the reference point for all of us! Thats more logical. Hello! Dude sleep over it, perhaps it would be clearer by morning
Re: Muslims Still Think The Earth Is Flat. by Maisuya1: 12:28am On Apr 15, 2012
Ok prove to me that there are two north poles, you may parameterize as you wish, but prove it and perhaps we might have a starting point for your two Mecca two direction theory.
Re: Muslims Still Think The Earth Is Flat. by lepasharon(f): 1:14am On Apr 15, 2012
my dad said if ur shaddow is behind,you r facing the east!
Re: Muslims Still Think The Earth Is Flat. by uncover: 6:34am On Apr 15, 2012
lepasharon: my dad said if ur shaddow is behind,you r facing the east!

it depends on what time of the day it is. In the morning, if your shadow is behind you, you are facing the east although sometimes not perfectly east. In the evening, if your shadow is behind you, you're facing the west or close to that direction.
Re: Muslims Still Think The Earth Is Flat. by uncover: 6:38am On Apr 15, 2012
tiarabubu:

@tbaba

No disrespect intended.

from your submission, Nigerian Muslims should be facing approximately NNE (North North East) or about 15° N to actually face the kaaba. Else if they face east they will be facing (Looking at the world map) Cameroun, East African Republic, Kenya, India, Indonesia, Brazil, Ghana and back to where they started. the Kaaba is thus missed.

likewise Egyptians and somalis should face North (almost ) and some countries in former Russia should face south.

Thanks

you're right Muslims in Nigeria face the north east for their qibla 'cause that's where it lies. The direction of the kaabah is northeast. There hasn't been any serious issue over that i suppose.
Re: Muslims Still Think The Earth Is Flat. by tbaba1234: 7:21am On Apr 15, 2012
tiarabubu:

@tbaba

No disrespect intended.

Thanks

Nigerian muslims face the NE....

Other countries have the different directions which they face. Where i live, i face 55 degrees clockwise from the North (NE).
Re: Muslims Still Think The Earth Is Flat. by LogicMind: 11:37am On Apr 15, 2012
backwardness is bad
Re: Muslims Still Think The Earth Is Flat. by uncover: 1:44pm On Apr 15, 2012
Logic Mind: backwardness is bad

It's true. I don't advice anyone, not even my enemy, to be backward. Unfortunately some give advice but don't follow it themselves.
Re: Muslims Still Think The Earth Is Flat. by Sweetnecta: 12:05am On Apr 16, 2012
@Logic mind; The directly opposite point of the Center of the Kaaba is the only point on earth you can face anywhere and you will be facing the Kaaba. That is just a point on the other side.
However inside the Kaaba, you can face anywhere.
Outside the Kaaba in its vicinity, in Makaa, etc, you must face Kaaba.

If you Logic mind think that people can gather in circle outwardly on the other side of the Kaaba and focus on the center point that I stated above, you have intentionally created for yourself a Qibla that is not a Qibla. The True Qiba is the Kaaba located in Masjid Haraam, in the City of Makka in a country called Saudi Arabia.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Virtues Of The Day Of Arafah / Forgiveness & Purity Of Heart / The Etiquette Of Sneezing: Praising Allaah, Saying “may Allaah Have Mercy On You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.