Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,106 members, 7,818,305 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:17 PM

Can I Make A Private Folder Public? - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Can I Make A Private Folder Public? (1529 Views)

Can Someone Help Me Access The "Temp" Folder Of My Laptop / HELP: Destination Folder Access Denied Windows 10 / How Do I Recover My Lost Folder On External Hard Drive: Help (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can I Make A Private Folder Public? by Hayorbahmy(m): 3:59pm On Nov 06, 2007
I installed another copy of windows(professional) on my Pc dt had Xp (home) before. I wanted to access the files on my document in the Xp home but it is telling me "Acess denied ".Which probably means the account is private.and I need to get some files off that account.
please note that I cant sign in to the xp home cuz there is a virus that logs me off whenever I log in that was the reason I changed the OS.

In short is there any body that can make a folder that is private public?
Re: Can I Make A Private Folder Public? by Maleeq(m): 5:37pm On Nov 06, 2007
Simple! Just "Take Ownership" Of the file/folder you want access to while logged on as an administrator.

To do this:
- Go to My Computer, and on the menu bar, click "Tools -> Folder Option -> View tab"
- In the "Advance Settings" pane, scroll to the bottom where you would find "Use Simple File Sharing(Recommended)"
Uncheck it and click OK
- Now, browse to the folder you want to gain access to.
- Right click on it and select "Sharing And Security"
- Click on the "Security" tab and then click the "Advanced" button
- Click on the "Owner" tab
- Now, you should see the current owner( the username or the Security ID of the user that created the file/folder). In the list pane below, current users(Administrators on the system) would be listed. Simply choose the user you are logged on as.
- Make sure you check the box that reads "Replace Owner On Subcontainers And Objects", this would take ownership of subfiles and folders.
- Click OK after that and you should have access to your files.

Let me know it this works.
Re: Can I Make A Private Folder Public? by Hayorbahmy(m): 2:19pm On Nov 07, 2007
@Maleeq
Thanks a bunch for your post it worked like magic.
I wont mind if I can contact you on some other issues my address is hayorbahmy@yahoo.com

I would be expecting your reply.
Thanks once again
Re: Can I Make A Private Folder Public? by Maleeq(m): 4:09pm On Nov 07, 2007
No problem!
My email addy is on my profile.

(1) (Reply)

Why You Should Never Buy A Starcomms Internet Connection / Toshiba Qosmio (G30) laptop VGA Problem. / Fairly Used Hp Mini @ Affordable Price

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.