Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,756 members, 7,809,919 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:09 PM

Ibori To Be Sentenced Today - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ibori To Be Sentenced Today (7858 Views)

Ibori To Complete Jail Term In Nigeria / James Ibori To Justice Minister Malami: "Ibori Loot Does Not Exist" / James Ibori To Spend 4.5 Years In Jail (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ibori To Be Sentenced Today by Chizin(m): 5:13am On Apr 16, 2012
Former governor of Delta State, James Ibori, is due to be sentenced by a London court today and Tuesday after pleading guilty on February 27 to 10 charges of fraud and money laundering.

His assets acquired with the fraud proceeds will, consequently be confiscated and returned to Nigeria.

Ibori, governor of the oil-rich Delta State between 1999 and 2007, opted for a plea bargain with his British prosecutors in the hope of receiving a lighter sentence.

His trial was originally scheduled to commence in London’s Southwark Crown Court on February 27 only for him to admit defrauding the state to the tune of $79 million.

The court heard of how Ibori, during his tenure as governor, racked up credit card bills of $200,000 a month and owned a fleet of armoured Range Rovers.

He was on the verge of buying a plane for $20 million when he was arrested in 2010 in Dubai at the request of the Metropolitan Police and extradited to London last year.

Prosecutor Sasha Wass told the court Ibori had accepted he was involved in "wide-scale theft, fraud and corruption when he was governor of Delta State".

He was alleged to have used a false date of birth to conceal previous convictions so that he might not be prevented by law from contesting the governorship election. "Mr Ibori tricked his way into public office. He had tricked the Nigerian authorities and the Nigerian voters. He was thus never the legitimate governor of Delta State," said Wass.

Police detective, Paul Whatmore said : "We are pleased with today’s guilty pleas which mark the culmination of a seven-year inquiry into James Ibori’s corrupt activities. We will now be actively seeking the confiscation of all of his stolen assets so they can be repatriated for the benefit of the people of Delta State."

His wife, Theresa; sister, Christine Ibori-Idie; associate, Udoamaka Okoronkwo; and London-based solicitor, Bhadresh Gohil have all already been convicted of money laundering.

The British police had earlier dropped corruption charges levelled against Ibori, leaving him to face money laundering charges.

Ibori-Ibie and Okoronkwo-Onuigbo were later sentenced to 21 years in prison in London for their different roles in the case.

via The Nation

Re: Ibori To Be Sentenced Today by Callotti: 5:40am On Apr 16, 2012
See you soon darling.
We shall block ALL roads in Delta state when you come out.
I shall be visiting you as usual.
Just keep my own share of the remaining loot o!
OGIDI-GBO-RI-GBO for life! kiss
Re: Ibori To Be Sentenced Today by Yeske2(m): 7:45am On Apr 16, 2012
You can all see our judiciary is useless. Let him rot there for >50yrs and that infamous judge Who acquitted him of all charges be brought to book.
Re: Ibori To Be Sentenced Today by scopusng(m): 8:14am On Apr 16, 2012
I hope the thief in the government house get 105 years in prison.
Re: Ibori To Be Sentenced Today by scopusng(m): 8:58am On Apr 16, 2012
Chief James Ibori to get 15 year jail sentence; to serve only 2 years and 4 months after plea bargain
Re: Ibori To Be Sentenced Today by Nobody: 9:09am On Apr 16, 2012
This reminds me of when Alamieyesiegha escaped from UK and was given a hero's welcome in Bayelsa. They put out canopies, sewed Aso-ebi and cooked all manner of delicacies. Such was the case of Bode George as well. Tufiakwa.

Anyways, I nor send again. Acursed place called Ngeria.
Re: Ibori To Be Sentenced Today by ifihearam: 9:22am On Apr 16, 2012
How are the so called mighty fallen?? If someone had told Ibori 3yreas ago he would find himself in this situation he is now,he would have told the person to go back to bed.

1 Like

Re: Ibori To Be Sentenced Today by Okijajuju1(m): 9:27am On Apr 16, 2012
Later Ibori!!

You fhucked up hommes!!

I hope you nver drop the soap.

1 Like

Re: Ibori To Be Sentenced Today by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 9:32am On Apr 16, 2012
I guess Larmode will look back at his past works and wonder how he was not able to nail Ibori with a 100+ count charge.. EFCC Shame on you. it did not take UK court up to 10 counts to get Ibori served with the justice he rightly deserves.

1 Like

Re: Ibori To Be Sentenced Today by Nobody: 9:44am On Apr 16, 2012
They should give him 5 months only. He has suffered enough.

1 Like

Re: Ibori To Be Sentenced Today by justwise(m): 9:56am On Apr 16, 2012
yorke: They should give him 5 months only. He has suffered enough.

He did not suffer enough, need to be given life jail sentence as a hard-core criminal.
Re: Ibori To Be Sentenced Today by gistme24(m): 10:00am On Apr 16, 2012
Why return the money to Nigeria for it to be stolen again? Abag they should add it to the Olympic games' budget ja re...

7 Likes

Re: Ibori To Be Sentenced Today by kulutempa: 10:04am On Apr 16, 2012
yorke: They should give him 5 months only. He has suffered enough.

This is why it is said that a people deserve their leaders. He stole money meant for the development of his state and you say he has suffered enough? Why not serve his long prison sentence for him, since you love him so much.

4 Likes

Re: Ibori To Be Sentenced Today by Daadaaa: 10:14am On Apr 16, 2012
How d mighty hv really fallen.im sure his heart's in his mouth now.bloody rogue.dis shd serve as a lesson to other rogues,I dnt care if he spends 2months,he has gtn wot he deserves.d fact dat he's not in d country to live his reckless life gives me joy cos d guy abused it all.how can one man be richer than his state?karma's really a bitch nd I love it.
Re: Ibori To Be Sentenced Today by Eray(f): 10:25am On Apr 16, 2012
Serve d thief right. So sad that nigeria can't bring their thieving rulers to justice! Pray he dies in jail angryServe d thief right. So sad that nigeria can't bring their thieving rulers to justice! Pray he dies in jail
Re: Ibori To Be Sentenced Today by NEDUIFYY78: 10:28am On Apr 16, 2012
Chizin: Former governor of Delta State, James Ibori, is due to be sentenced by a London court today and Tuesday after pleading guilty on February 27 to 10 charges of fraud and money laundering.

His assets acquired with the fraud proceeds will, consequently be confiscated and returned to Nigeria.

Ibori, governor of the oil-rich Delta State between 1999 and 2007, opted for a plea bargain with his British prosecutors in the hope of receiving a lighter sentence.

His trial was originally scheduled to commence in London’s Southwark Crown Court on February 27 only for him to admit defrauding the state to the tune of $79 million.

The court heard of how Ibori, during his tenure as governor, racked up credit card bills of $200,000 a month and owned a fleet of armoured Range Rovers.

He was on the verge of buying a plane for $20 million when he was arrested in 2010 in Dubai at the request of the Metropolitan Police and extradited to London last year.

Prosecutor Sasha Wass told the court Ibori had accepted he was involved in "wide-scale theft, fraud and corruption when he was governor of Delta State".

He was alleged to have used a false date of birth to conceal previous convictions so that he might not be prevented by law from contesting the governorship election. "Mr Ibori tricked his way into public office. He had tricked the Nigerian authorities and the Nigerian voters. He was thus never the legitimate governor of Delta State," said Wass.

Police detective, Paul Whatmore said : "We are pleased with today’s guilty pleas which mark the culmination of a seven-year inquiry into James Ibori’s corrupt activities. We will now be actively seeking the confiscation of all of his stolen assets so they can be repatriated for the benefit of the people of Delta State."

His wife, Theresa; sister, Christine Ibori-Idie; associate, Udoamaka Okoronkwo; and London-based solicitor, Bhadresh Gohil have all already been convicted of money laundering.

The British police had earlier dropped corruption charges levelled against Ibori, leaving him to face money laundering charges.

Ibori-Ibie and Okoronkwo-Onuigbo were later sentenced to 21 years in prison in London for their different roles in the case.

via The Nation
He should be sentesed to deat for his crimes
Re: Ibori To Be Sentenced Today by Nobody: 10:31am On Apr 16, 2012
kulutempa:

This is why it is said that a people deserve their leaders. He stole money meant for the development of his state and you say he has suffered enough? Why not serve his long prison sentence for him, since you love him so much.
It is your money? Talking like you won't do even worst than he did if you find yourself there.Rubbish!
Re: Ibori To Be Sentenced Today by femzy(m): 10:33am On Apr 16, 2012
gistme24: Why return the money to Nigeria for it to be stolen again? Abag they should add it to the Olympic games' budget ja re...

LOLZES grin
Re: Ibori To Be Sentenced Today by Tropilo(m): 10:44am On Apr 16, 2012
The money and assets shouldn't be returned to Delta state yet as his first cousin and political son is the governor cos he will keep it for him and give it back with interest.
Trust the British (scrooges), they will surely deduct the cost of prosecution first.
Re: Ibori To Be Sentenced Today by Nobody: 10:45am On Apr 16, 2012
100 years in Prison won't be enof. . . . .
Re: Ibori To Be Sentenced Today by nearest(m): 10:48am On Apr 16, 2012
Ibori, I hope ur cousin UDUAGHAN dey see watin u dey go through, because, him must experience the same thing!
Re: Ibori To Be Sentenced Today by Prettypresh(f): 10:51am On Apr 16, 2012
He tot dat running away frm his own country will solve d problem, rather it landed him into more problems, that serves him rite. I hope other politicans will learn frm dis.
Re: Ibori To Be Sentenced Today by texazzpete(m): 10:58am On Apr 16, 2012
yorke:
It is your money? Talking like you won't do even worst than he did if you find yourself there.Rubbish!

No, it is not her money. The money belongs to the people of Delta State...Not Ibori and certainly not Uduaghan or their legions of thrice accursed sycophants and bootlickers like yourself.
Next time when you folk whine about 'marginalization', think about where the rightful money for your state is diverted to.

1 Like

Re: Ibori To Be Sentenced Today by yankison(m): 11:06am On Apr 16, 2012
Shame on EFcc ibori was only sentenced with 10count charge and whereas we had people that bastardise the Pension ministry here in Nigeria with more than 20count charges , still can't be prosecuted and sentenced to death by hanging for killing hard working pensioneers BLACK. Man go be BLack african . Bleep ibori you are too selfish . Why u just develop your state and loot few sum . Shey you wan carry money go heaven ni . Bastard u shud be sentenced to death not prison terms . . TO all others political learders looting the govt treasuries , you are soon going to be caught and believe me all your family with be jailed with you so you can both sympathise for eachother in jail . Goodbye thanks to d UK govt . Bleep all nigeria judges . Imcompetent emptors . Assholes .
Re: Ibori To Be Sentenced Today by Nobody: 11:08am On Apr 16, 2012
texazzpete:

No, it is not her money. The money belongs to the people of Delta State...Not Ibori and certainly not Uduaghan or their legions of thrice accursed sycophants and bootlickers like yourself.
Next time when you folk whine about 'marginalization', think about where the rightful money for your state is diverted to.
Ibori stole the money of his people and the last time i checked they were not complaining. So what is your problem?
Re: Ibori To Be Sentenced Today by Fobrown: 11:13am On Apr 16, 2012
if only all corrupt leaders could be sentenced, Good for you ibori.now u will pay for all the lost you have cost your father's land.
Re: Ibori To Be Sentenced Today by texazzpete(m): 11:25am On Apr 16, 2012
yorke:
Ibori stole the money of his people and the last time i checked they were not complaining. So what is your problem?

The last time I checked, you did not speak for the good people of Delta State. How exactly did you 'check'? Was it an open survey box system? Did you hand out questionnaires in schools, marketplaces and villages?

Or are you just a greedy sycophant and boot licker, eager to jump to the defence of your thieving paymasters?

In your stupidity you forgot you posted this two days ago on another article
Crazy and corrupt set of lawyers. This country is sick. 10 years for illegal possession of arms? While corrupt politicians gets nothing!

So 2 days ago you were all for the harsh punishment of 'corrupt politicians' yet now you're bleating that ibori should get only 5 months. This seems like multiple personality disorder and i suggest you seek medical help from a trained psychiatrist/psychologist as soon as possible.

2 Likes

Re: Ibori To Be Sentenced Today by Silva79(f): 11:29am On Apr 16, 2012
May die in prison Insha Allah
Re: Ibori To Be Sentenced Today by Silva79(f): 11:30am On Apr 16, 2012
May u die in prison Insha Allah. Very useless thief
Re: Ibori To Be Sentenced Today by Sendybaba(m): 11:35am On Apr 16, 2012
yorke:
...plz tel me dt waz a joke...anyway,it soundz dry 2 me...bt kip workin hard,yhu cld bcom dt comedian yhu're drmin of
Re: Ibori To Be Sentenced Today by Nobody: 11:39am On Apr 16, 2012
texazzpete:

The last time I checked, you did not speak for the good people of Delta State. How exactly did you 'check'? Was it an open survey box system? Did you hand out questionnaires in schools, marketplaces and villages?

Or are you just a greedy sycophant and boot licker, eager to jump to the defence of your thieving paymasters?

In your stupidity you forgot you posted this two days ago on another article

So 2 days ago you were all for the harsh punishment of 'corrupt politicians' yet now you're bleating that ibori should get only 5 months. This seems like multiple personality disorder and i suggest you seek medical help from a trained psychiatrist/psychologist as soon as possible.
I never said Ibori should be set free. They should give 5 months term in prison because he is right in the cell as i type. Those years should be added along with the jail term. That's my opinion. What happen to those northern corrupt politicians who brings nothing to the table but loots the treasury and still walking freely. Ibori should not be used as a scape goat for others.
Re: Ibori To Be Sentenced Today by emsquare(m): 11:50am On Apr 16, 2012
Callotti: See you soon darling.
We shall block ALL roads in Delta state when you come out.
I shall be visiting you as usual.
Just keep my own share of the remaining loot o!
OGIDI-GBO-RI-GBO for life! kiss

Huh?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Council Of Elders Of Indigenous People Of Biafra --last Night Broadcast / INEC Registers Two More Political Parties / Ondo: PDP Crisis Deepens As Court Panel Withdraws

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.