Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,739 members, 7,955,817 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 04:05 PM

Ibori To Be Sentenced Today - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ibori To Be Sentenced Today (7916 Views)

Ibori To Complete Jail Term In Nigeria / James Ibori To Justice Minister Malami: "Ibori Loot Does Not Exist" / James Ibori To Spend 4.5 Years In Jail (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ibori To Be Sentenced Today by justwise(m): 11:52am On Apr 16, 2012
yorke:
I never said Ibori should be set free. They should give 5 months term in prison because he is right in the cell as i type. Those years should be added along with the jail term. That's my opinion. What happen to those northern corrupt politicians who brings nothing to the table but loots the treasury and still walking freely. Ibori should not be used as a scape goat for others.

Every criminal should be jailed, it doesn't matter how long it takes to get them locked up. Life sentence with hard labour!!!
Re: Ibori To Be Sentenced Today by Nobody: 11:54am On Apr 16, 2012
Sendy baba: ...plz tel me dt waz a joke...anyway,it soundz dry 2 me...bt kip workin hard,yhu cld bcom dt comedian yhu're drmin of
Mr Man wake up! Do i look like Sendy Ali baba to you? I visited Delta state last month. I was surprised about the good things wish were been spoken of Ibori and how his people are strongly behind him desperate he stole from them. Go there and speak bad of him(Ibori) and see if you will come back with your two eyes.
Re: Ibori To Be Sentenced Today by Coefficient(m): 11:59am On Apr 16, 2012
When they steal,they keep in Switzerland.When sick,they go to Germany or Israel.When investing,they go to the states.When buying a castle,they go to London.When shopping,they go to Dubai.When on holidays,they go to Bahamas.When educating their siblings,they choose Europe.When praying,they go to Saudi or Vatican or Jerusalem.But when they die,they all want to be buried in Africa where they looted the treasure.Our dear continent is only good for corpses!!!

5 Likes

Re: Ibori To Be Sentenced Today by Nobody: 12:02pm On Apr 16, 2012
Coefficient: When they steal,they keep in Switzerland.When sick,they go to Germany or Israel.When investing,they go to the states.When buying a castle,they go to London.When shopping,they go to Dubai.When on holidays,they go to Bahamas.When educating their siblings,they choose Europe.When praying,they go to Saudi or Vatican or Jerusalem.But when they die,they all want to be buried in Africa where they looted the treasure.Our dear continent is only good for corpses!!!
You crack me man grin grin grin
Re: Ibori To Be Sentenced Today by otokx(m): 12:18pm On Apr 16, 2012
yorke:
You crack me man grin grin grin

this is good
Re: Ibori To Be Sentenced Today by otokx(m): 12:19pm On Apr 16, 2012
Coefficient: When they steal,they keep in Switzerland.When sick,they go to Germany or Israel.When investing,they go to the states.When buying a castle,they go to London.When shopping,they go to Dubai.When on holidays,they go to Bahamas.When educating their siblings,they choose Europe.When praying,they go to Saudi or Vatican or Jerusalem.But when they die,they all want to be buried in Africa where they looted the treasure.Our dear continent is only good for corpses!!!

cool
Re: Ibori To Be Sentenced Today by Tropilo(m): 12:23pm On Apr 16, 2012
yorke:
Ibori stole the money of his people and the last time i checked they were not complaining. So what is your problem?

who is not complainin Mr. Yorke? Who? I am from the state of Delta. If you are also from Delta and you aren't complaining please speak only for yourself. Please!
Just that we don't want to throw the baby with the bath water, if not. In Ibori's case that should have been it. The entire family (wife, concubine, cousins and himself) is roguish. "T(C)HIEF (JAMES) GEMS ONA-NA-THIEF IBORI".
Re: Ibori To Be Sentenced Today by Emylexray(m): 12:24pm On Apr 16, 2012
yorke:
I never said Ibori should be set free. They should give 5 months term in prison because he is right in the cell as i type. Those years should be added along with the jail term. That's my opinion. What happen to those northern corrupt politicians who brings nothing to the table but loots the treasury and still walking freely. Ibori should not be used as a scape goat for others.
are you okay? Why solicit for a lighter punishment? Abi na two of una chop the money? Do you know how much he would have bettered the plights of the people of delta if he had channelled those money into something worthwhile! Maybe you should be his lawyer..mtcheew!
Re: Ibori To Be Sentenced Today by Emylexray(m): 12:31pm On Apr 16, 2012
yorke:
Mr Man wake up! Do i look like Sendy Ali baba to you? I visited Delta state last month. I was surprised about the good things wish were been spoken of Ibori and how his people are strongly behind him desperate he stole from them. Go there and speak bad of him(Ibori) and see if you will come back with your two eyes.
guy! Your point is groundless! How do you know they are all behind him? Even though they are, i'm sure after this disclosure of the millions he has laundered, will they still be behind him? Abeg! No go der. ,
Re: Ibori To Be Sentenced Today by Tropilo(m): 12:33pm On Apr 16, 2012
yorke:

Its not true! Maybe you only visited his home-village (Ogara) which he transformed from a hamlet to a fairly modern town or the Itsekiri area where his mum and cousin (present governor) is from.
Re: Ibori To Be Sentenced Today by Tropilo(m): 12:40pm On Apr 16, 2012

How did you come up with this? You sure have exhibited sheer intelligence my man. Thumbs up!
Re: Ibori To Be Sentenced Today by justwise(m): 12:46pm On Apr 16, 2012

Classic!!!
Re: Ibori To Be Sentenced Today by doublecross(m): 12:50pm On Apr 16, 2012
a round of applause for the british Governments for thier perfect works. it is said that when you cant beat them, you should join them. This goes a long way to say...Nigeria is a very poor and corrupt nation. We can only make progress if we call for help from those who happen to be the superior and if this is not done, it simply means the Nigerian Governments want to continue with thier money laundering habit. The boko haram issue can also be treated once and for all if we call for help. we should not even try to put up a brave act or shy away from the fact that we need help because the nigerian Governments are weak. all they know is to acquire wealth to the fullest and as such a waste. EFCC is not even supposed to be a body as i have been monitoring thier activities for sometime now and have come to the conclusion that they dont know what they are doing at all. Also, the president of Nigeria seems lost as he is not active as ought to be. I think he is a confused man and i dont think nigeria can get anywhere with him. I have seen how it works in other societies. Leaders are not suppose to enforce any law without the peoples approval. As it is seen in other societies, the leaders are to bring innovative and profitable ideas in which the people will still have to look into but this is not the case here in nigeria. A whole lot of mind bodering issues i will love to talk about that can take me a year. Hope my fellow nlanders see reasons with me. God will help us.
Thanks
Re: Ibori To Be Sentenced Today by jmoore(m): 1:05pm On Apr 16, 2012
$79 million dollars? I'd bet that he stole more than ten times of that.
Re: Ibori To Be Sentenced Today by texazzpete(m): 1:22pm On Apr 16, 2012
yorke:

How can somebody who has pleaded GUILTY be a 'scapegoat'? As we speak, Ibori's wife and mistress are serving 5 year terms for merely assisting the main criminal. Will it now be justice to give him 5 months while his wife spends 5 years?
Re: Ibori To Be Sentenced Today by nearest(m): 1:34pm On Apr 16, 2012
Its Funny, The Odidigboigbo of Africa rubbished as a common criminal!
All these incumbent governors are better start tiding up their houses, because after their tenure, no travelling abroad for medica treatment, because, met police go gbab them sharply.
Re: Ibori To Be Sentenced Today by Nobody: 1:45pm On Apr 16, 2012
texazzpete:

How can somebody who has pleaded GUILTY be a 'scapegoat'? As we speak, Ibori's wife and mistress are serving 5 year terms for merely assisting the main criminal. Will it now be justice to give him 5 months while his wife spends 5 years?
You have a point there but their trials were speedy up. Well . .. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Re: Ibori To Be Sentenced Today by Kobojunkie: 1:47pm On Apr 16, 2012
Trials were not sped up. As long as enough evidence is available to convict, trials can take days or hours, even.

I hope the man gets the maximum, and spends at least 5 years in jail, with hard labor(if that option exists). He is only being charged for money laundering, but may never be charged for corruption in his home country, so hope nemesis packages the worst for him in this. grin grin grin
Re: Ibori To Be Sentenced Today by jamace(m): 1:48pm On Apr 16, 2012
grin grin

Don't mind the retards. They even brag that dying in a foreign hospital is status symbol. Very soon they will start buying land abroad for their burial as a sign of "have arrived". Ewu politicians.
Re: Ibori To Be Sentenced Today by Ganjafama(m): 2:31pm On Apr 16, 2012
yorke:
Mr man stop arguing blindly. I am a deltan, born and bred in Warri. Ibori is a criminal and he should face the maximum sentence he deserves.
Re: Ibori To Be Sentenced Today by Nobody: 2:39pm On Apr 16, 2012
I pray he dies in uk prison and doesnt come back to nigeria.people like him dont desrve to live.but before he dies,he should be treated like an animal.smh
Re: Ibori To Be Sentenced Today by malc619(m): 2:55pm On Apr 16, 2012
Who the F**k is Yorke??
Ibori is a f**king Criminal and deserves what he's getting. Only a fool like Yorke will sympathise with him.
Perhaps ur mum family had a taste of his d..k money
Shame on you Ibori!!
Shame on you Yorke!!
Shame on EFCC!!
Shame on ICPC!!
Shame on all the stupid people in support of Ibori(especially those from Oghara)!!
Shame on Uduaghan(U'r Next)!!
Re: Ibori To Be Sentenced Today by malc619(m): 2:59pm On Apr 16, 2012
Abeg who get update on the proceeding??
Re: Ibori To Be Sentenced Today by kokoA(m): 3:25pm On Apr 16, 2012
The should lock up the dude and throw away the key jare.
Re: Ibori To Be Sentenced Today by jaybee3(m): 3:45pm On Apr 16, 2012
[size=14pt]UK aid funded firms 'linked to Nigeria fraudster Ibori'[/size]

Britain's Department for International Development is accused of allowing tens of millions of pounds in UK aid to be invested in Nigerian money laundering fronts, BBC Newsnight has learned.

An equity fund backed by DfID-owned subsidiary CDC Group is being investigated by Nigerian officials.

The accusation is that the private fund invested in companies linked to convicted money-launderer James Ibori.

DfID says CDC carries out thorough checks before investing in funds.

Ibori, a former governor of Nigeria's oil-rich Delta States, who looted millions from state coffers, is due to be sentenced by a UK court having pleaded guilty to 10 counts of money-laundering and conspiracy to defraud.

As his trial at London's Southwark Crown Court was about to begin in February 2012, Mr Ibori changed his plea to guilty and admitted stealing money from Delta State and laundering it in London through a number of offshore companies.

DfID spent £5m investigating the case, the world's biggest money-laundering scam ever brought to justice, and Ibori's network - which spanned four continents.

Ibori had secret accounts and companies in London, Switzerland, Luxembourg, Mauritius, Polynesia, Panama, the Marshall Islands and South Africa.

Whistleblower revealed
But it is the alleged front companies in Nigeria which have cast a shadow over British aid.

Continue reading the main story
The rise and fall of James Ibori

1958: Born in Delta state, UK police believe, saying he previously lied about his age
1980s: Moved to UK
1991: Convicted of stealing from UK DIY shop Wickes
1992: Convicted of credit card fraud
1993-4: Allies himself to Nigeria's then military ruler Sani Abacha
1999: Elected Delta state governor
2007: Stepped down as governor
2007: UK assets worth $35m frozen
December 2007: Arrested in Nigeria on corruption charges
2009: Nigeria court dismisses charges
April 2010: Ibori's supporters attack police as they try to arrest him
May 2010: Arrested in Dubai
2011: Extradited to UK
2012: Pleads guilty to money-laundering in London court
How a thief almost became president
CDC Group, the private enterprise arm of DfID, is said to have put $47.5m (£29.9m) into a private equity fund which invested in Nigerian companies allegedly linked to Ibori.

CDC is overseen by the development secretary, Andrew Mitchell.

In January, Mr Mitchell issued an unreserved apology to an Anglo-Nigerian whistleblower after Newsnight revealed DfID had betrayed his identity to the people he was accusing.

Dotun Oloko had warned DfID about potential problems with CDC investments. The department passed a document containing Mr Oloko's name to the private equity firm he had accused of investing in potential corruption.

He then became the target of private investigators hired by the firm who followed his children to school and looked into his personal and business affairs in the UK and Nigeria.

Mr Oloko told Newsnight he is delighted the Nigerian anti-corruption squad is now examining the issue.

He also pointed to the fact that Britain's development agency now stands accused of investing in the very corruption it has spent years helping to investigate.

"That's the incredible paradox. The same people who've funded the prosecution are the people who've funded the activities which are now being investigated," he said.

DfID issued the following statement in response to Newsnight's report:

"These specific allegations date back to 2009 under the last Labour government and were investigated by CDC at the time and subsequently passed on to the Met Police and the Serious Fraud Office.

"CDC always carries out full and thorough checks before investing in a fund manager and the subsequent investigation gives no indication that British funding has been misused in this case."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-17728357
Re: Ibori To Be Sentenced Today by Zeroid105: 3:48pm On Apr 16, 2012
yorke:

Yorke, i pray you see the light and walk towards it. Your likes that keep dragging us back as a nation. People are making meaningful contribution to this post, you are busy exposing your ignorance of what corruption conotes. Whenever enlightened citizens are assemmbled to profer solution to our precarious situation in Nigeria, some idiot springs up with regional or tribal sentiments. This should stop. What's bad is bad and should be condemed by any right thinking individual. This Ibori's drama is a wake up call on our criminal justice system.
Re: Ibori To Be Sentenced Today by Nobody: 5:02pm On Apr 16, 2012
malc619: Who the F**k is Yorke??
Ibori is a f**king Criminal and deserves what he's getting. Only a fool like Yorke will sympathise with him.
Perhaps ur mum family had a taste of his d..k money
Shame on you Ibori!!
Shame on you Yorke!!
Shame on EFCC!!
Shame on ICPC!!
Shame on all the stupid people in support of Ibori(especially those from Oghara)!!
Shame on Uduaghan(U'r Next)!!
You are a bastard!
Re: Ibori To Be Sentenced Today by jamace(m): 5:10pm On Apr 16, 2012
Bros, how far about the judgement?
Re: Ibori To Be Sentenced Today by NET1(m): 5:52pm On Apr 16, 2012
Me too. I'm waiting for the judgment o. If the Judgment is anything less than 20 years, I suggest Prosecution should go for a re-trial. The guy don too much.

.NET
Re: Ibori To Be Sentenced Today by DisGuy: 6:49pm On Apr 16, 2012
adjourned till tuesday
Re: Ibori To Be Sentenced Today by acidtalk: 7:33pm On Apr 16, 2012
yorke:
You are a bastard!

You are the ORIGINAL BASTARD HERE!!!

It was you they saw to form the word "Bastard".
Re: Ibori To Be Sentenced Today by erico2k2(m): 7:36pm On Apr 16, 2012
I have said this B4 and I will say it again, this Ibori case is over hyped, most people on here onl heard of IBORI when the london boys held him,Now what state do you guys come from name your Govt and lets see what he did for your state if they all aint guilty of same crime.Thumbs up for the guy who said you will not come bck if you speak badly of IBORI in delta state,try and come down the south and see the employments he created,the Higher institutions of learnings he brought in i dont even need to go further but all govt are thieves but if they could do1/2 of what this thiving dud did then we al would have been smilling

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ondo: PDP Crisis Deepens As Court Panel Withdraws / Buhari Won’t Interfere In 9th Assembly Leadership – Enang / Hisbah Destroys ₦‎60 Milion Worth Of Alcohol And Illicit Drugs In Katsina

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.