Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,758 members, 7,809,920 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:12 PM

Jack Of All Trade? Help! - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Jack Of All Trade? Help! (1300 Views)

Jack Of One Trade, Master Of One! / Jack Ma: If You’re Still Poor At 35, You Deserve It! / Jack-of all-Trade zone! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jack Of All Trade? Help! by divalin19: 7:43am On Apr 16, 2012
Gud day evry1. Pls i have a problem, am 20 and am a 300L student of microbiology. Though I am a girl, i c mysef beyond bein just a girl.
One thing dat inspires me in life is,seein young people (i mean btw d age bracket of 18-25) achieving things and affectin life.
Nw my problem is dat i've got so many idaes in my mind but i dont knw were 2 start frm. Most times wen am in d church ideas keep poping in2 my head like am goin to explode. But d trut is dat i keep fantacizing about dem witout tryin 2 actualize dem,
I'm quite intelligent,i dance, i write, some of my dreams r 2 have an NGO dat wud help youths n encourage use of talents, somhw i want 2 practice my profession,i want 2 have a magzine company,i..... They r uncountable n if i go on and on u might get bored wit it.
So please i need advice on hw 2 go abt actualizin these dreams cause its just like a timebomb inside me,waiting 2 explode and its eatin me.
Re: Jack Of All Trade? Help! by yamakuza: 1:26pm On Apr 17, 2012
divalin19: Gud day evry1. Pls i have a problem, am 20 and am a 300L student of microbiology.

its not a problem. Its a good thing.

Though I am a girl, i c mysef beyond bein just a girl.
One thing dat inspires me in life is,seein young people (i mean btw d age bracket of 18-25) achieving things and affectin life.

the term for this presently escapes me

Nw my problem is dat i've got so many idaes in my mind but i dont knw were 2 start frm. Most times wen am in d church ideas keep poping in2 my head like am goin to explode. But d trut is dat i keep fantacizing about dem witout tryin 2 actualize dem,
I'm quite intelligent,i dance, i write, some of my dreams r 2 have an NGO dat wud help youths n encourage use of talents, somhw i want 2 practice my profession,i want 2 have a magzine company,i..... They r uncountable n if i go on and on u might get bored wit it.
So please i need advice on hw 2 go abt actualizin these dreams cause its just like a timebomb inside me,waiting 2 explode and its eatin me.

1. The first thing is to prioritize

2. Then the next thing is to focus on one at at a time

3. Finally, connect the dots.

Being multitalented or full of ideas, the first thing you must understand is that you cant do or achieve everything, so make a list of the most important ones.

From your list, focus on your goals/talents one at a time till you've accomplished/improved that one, then move to the next.

Finally, you need to find a common point. Unfortunately, microbiology doesnt tie in with dancing, writing, talent development, magazine publishing and ngo work so you might want to pursue a postgraduate in a related field, or just remove microbiology from your equation.

With a microbiology related job/career out of the picture, starting an NGO and/or a Magazine/blog can tie in the rest and help you accomplish all.
[s]
You might also want to consider working for NGOS (most publish magazines anyway), Development Agencies or Social Services.[/s]
Re: Jack Of All Trade? Help! by nitrogen(m): 9:15pm On Apr 17, 2012
divalin19: Gud day evry1. Pls i have a problem, am 20 and am a 300L student of microbiology. Though I am a girl, i c mysef beyond bein just a girl.
divalin19: Gud day evry1. Pls i have a problem, am 20 and am a 300L student of microbiology. Though I am a girl, i c mysef beyond bein just a girl.

Halo, dont worry, when the time comes, you will narrow your plans to just two or even one, believe me, its a norm when still an undergrad.
Re: Jack Of All Trade? Help! by divalin19: 8:03am On Apr 18, 2012
@ yamakuza Thanks
Re: Jack Of All Trade? Help! by kokoA(m): 8:21am On Apr 18, 2012
Its quite natural for you to want to "do everything" at this age. You still got some years ahead of you to narrow down you options, so as the years go by, make sure you try as much as possible to trim down your list. Good luck.
Re: Jack Of All Trade? Help! by mycvclinic: 9:32pm On Apr 18, 2012
Hmm!

OP, somethings you wrote on this post struck a nerve in me and I just had to comment.

Yamakuza is very right! Now my little input..

Given that you are a student I'm sure there are limits on what you can do mainly due to time and money constraints. Helping isn't always cheap.

It's almost similar scenario like yours that led me to start doing Free CV Reviews.

My experience with that hunger of wanting to help others..

I just always wanted to help people BUT most of the things I wanted to do for them, I couldn't (and still can't) afford to fund the idea/causes.

At a point I decided to sponsor the gateman at my flat. He told me he dropped out of secondary school after his parents died. He was clearly smart and hardworking (waking up at 4:30 to wash all the cars belonging to residents). Somehow my plan to sponsor him wasn't totally successful. I got him some books but moved away from the area shortly.
Anyway, my passion to help people still lingered and the idea of doing the CV review crossed my mind when I was going through my sent mail box. I stumbled on my first ever CV, had a laugh at how much it's developed over the years and thought I could help others too. I had received a similar service (ie free cv review) a couple of years back. I started in November 2011 and I receive between 4 and 6 CVs daily, sometimes more.

I love the feeling I get from being able to help. What does it cost me?... just time and access to the internet which I can afford very much. On my free time (mainly after work) I do the CVs.

I advice you to keep your desire to help alive in your thoughts. Very soon, you'll just put a couple of them together and be able to help people as you so wish too.

Keep the passion alive! The world will certainly be a better place if we can just put the needs of others before ours.

1 Like

Re: Jack Of All Trade? Help! by yemmyma: 3:09pm On Apr 19, 2012
@Op

That is life for you. When i was in Nigeria, i wanted to have a degree and have a white collar job in a good company but i have always fantasied another me in front of TV. By TV i mean, i like to be a presenter, like to dance, model (i have the face... lol) and other things. At a point I knew i could be a better record label executive. I just love entertainment with passion. Even after i graduated from school... (i love my field) but still wanted another degree in something else just because i have interest in it. This made me think i would be doing two masters.

We all come across such situations in our life. All these things are just in my imagination. I could not do any of that just because i traveled out of Nigeria. So from my case, where you are also determines what path you are likely to tow.

If you have real passion about all these side stuffs, follow them strategically but earn your degree first. It is not a bad thing to have a lab job and do your passion at the same time as long as it doesn't affect your job. Of course, pray first for guidance. God is able.

Have a wonderful and fulfilled life.

1 Like

Re: Jack Of All Trade? Help! by divalin19: 12:44pm On Apr 21, 2012
Tnx a lot 4 all dat contributed I realy appreciate
Re: Jack Of All Trade? Help! by yamakuza: 11:50am On Apr 23, 2012
divalin19: Tnx a lot 4 all dat contributed I realy appreciate

so, what have you purposed to do?
Re: Jack Of All Trade? Help! by divalin19: 6:48pm On Apr 24, 2012
Well, i'l face my studies first,i'm in a dance/drama group in school so am developing my talent in dat aspect and finaly,i'l let God lead me thru cos he knws d best.

1 Like

Re: Jack Of All Trade? Help! by nitrogen(m): 10:42pm On Apr 24, 2012
divalin19: Well, i'l face my studies first,i'm in a dance/drama group in school so am developing my talent in dat aspect and finaly,i'l let God lead me thru cos he knws d best.
Good.
Re: Jack Of All Trade? Help! by ireti123: 8:48pm On Apr 25, 2012
@OP, remember that there is a season for everything on earth, the openings you have today might not be there tomorrow. The title of ur post says alot already as well as the replys. Start acting on the ideas you're able to combine effectively with ur studies, cos you ve a reason for choosing the course in the first place. As you start implementing, you develop the capacity to accomodate more and even build & inspire other individuals. Take time out to think over what you want to start with, allowing God to lead you. Having too many things you could do can cause depression.
Live ur dream!

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Isaca's Member Get A Member Program / Are CISI Qualification Recognised In Nigeria? / How To Write A Good Resume/cv For 2015 Jobs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.