Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,135 members, 7,835,808 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 03:18 PM

BREAKING NEWS: Okonjo-iweala Fails To Win World Bank Presidency. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / BREAKING NEWS: Okonjo-iweala Fails To Win World Bank Presidency. (1473 Views)

African Development Bank Presidency: 5 Serving Ministers, 3 Others Contest / Buhari Endorses Akinwunmi Adesina For African Development Bank Presidency / World Bank Presidency: Obama Rejects Iweala Nominates Jim Yong Kim (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

BREAKING NEWS: Okonjo-iweala Fails To Win World Bank Presidency. by RICHIEBOI1(m): 5:56pm On Apr 16, 2012
As expected, American nominee Jim Yong Kim has been named the next President of the World Bank according to sources within the bank. Mr. Kim was nominated by United States President Barak Obama last month to replace Robert Zoellick, who has held the position since 2007.

Earlier in the day, Nigeria’s Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala surprisingly admitted she did not really expect to be named to the coveted position. She told journalists, “You know this thing is not really being decided on merit…It is voting with political weight and shares, and therefore the United States will get it."

Her defeatist remarks belied the tremendous energy she had put into returning to the bank as overall boss, but she tried to put a happy spin on it. “We have won a big victory,” she said. “Who gets to run the World Bank – we have shown we can contest this thing and Africa can produce people capable of running the entire architecture."

With the distraction of the World Bank presidency contest now out of the way, Mrs. Okonjo-Iweala returns to Abuja as Nigeria’s Minister of Finance and Coordinating Minister for the Economy, a position where, many Nigerians feel, she needs to earn her credibility by snatching the economy from the ruling People’s Democratic Party, which is known to have ruined the entire architecture.

http://saharareporters.com/news-page/okonjo-iweala-fails-win-world-bank-presidency
Re: BREAKING NEWS: Okonjo-iweala Fails To Win World Bank Presidency. by Novice1(m): 5:58pm On Apr 16, 2012
The blood of innocent Nigerians who lost their lives and livelihoods as a result of the subsidy removal will not allow it.

Karma is a LovePeddler.

1 Like

Re: BREAKING NEWS: Okonjo-iweala Fails To Win World Bank Presidency. by Nobody: 5:59pm On Apr 16, 2012
Loser!!
Re: BREAKING NEWS: Okonjo-iweala Fails To Win World Bank Presidency. by remmyz(m): 6:02pm On Apr 16, 2012
if na naija, PDP GO RIG FOR HER
Re: BREAKING NEWS: Okonjo-iweala Fails To Win World Bank Presidency. by cashmentor(m): 6:07pm On Apr 16, 2012
You Lose Some, You Win Some! Play Smart Next Time?
Re: BREAKING NEWS: Okonjo-iweala Fails To Win World Bank Presidency. by olapluto(m): 6:08pm On Apr 16, 2012
hehehehe. Alakisa n jo loru, ope oya, ile a mo lola. (The one wearing rag who dances in the night should know that no matter how long, it will soon be dawn)
Re: BREAKING NEWS: Okonjo-iweala Fails To Win World Bank Presidency. by Nobody: 6:08pm On Apr 16, 2012
Hahahahahahaha...kwekwekwe...hooooo...haaaaaa...can't breathe, can't breathe...hoooooooo...haaaaaaahahahahahahaha
Re: BREAKING NEWS: Okonjo-iweala Fails To Win World Bank Presidency. by abbyode(m): 6:09pm On Apr 16, 2012
She tried her best and I am proud of her.
Re: BREAKING NEWS: Okonjo-iweala Fails To Win World Bank Presidency. by Ufeolorun(m): 6:10pm On Apr 16, 2012
Even those who sent her knew she's not all that.
Kim has been subsidised by political power and shares innit sis? Lol!
You see subsidy isn't a bad thing after all.
Now go back to your gridlock,treadmill
co-ordination job.
Opportunist.
Re: BREAKING NEWS: Okonjo-iweala Fails To Win World Bank Presidency. by seanet02: 6:12pm On Apr 16, 2012
Lmao sorry epele o eyin omo ajekuta ma drink omi
Re: BREAKING NEWS: Okonjo-iweala Fails To Win World Bank Presidency. by wesley80(m): 6:12pm On Apr 16, 2012
Really proud of her, May God richly bless her for giving the world a reason to call Nigeria this past days for a good reason. Nuff respect Madam.
Re: BREAKING NEWS: Okonjo-iweala Fails To Win World Bank Presidency. by cap28: 6:15pm On Apr 16, 2012
As if! Am sure evn in okonjo iwealas deluded mind she knew vry well america wld nt place her in tht job, now get back to doing wht u do best - causing mass unemplymt,poverty and despair amongst ur own ppl - u incompetent slave

1 Like

Re: BREAKING NEWS: Okonjo-iweala Fails To Win World Bank Presidency. by NSNA: 6:15pm On Apr 16, 2012
[size=16pt]So let it be known that Nigerians are not all that bad.
When they were looking for a new Pope
It was said that a Nigerian was most likely to become the new Pope then.
A Nigeria almost became the world bank president.
Nigerians are the most educated Immigrants in the USA
Nigerians are working hard in all kinds of professional and manual jobs around the world.

BUT YOU NIGERIANS - STOP CALLING EACH OTHER DAMAGING NAMES

If Okonjo were to win that post, the damaging names from Nigerians alone is enough for the damage.[/size]
Re: BREAKING NEWS: Okonjo-iweala Fails To Win World Bank Presidency. by Nobody: 6:17pm On Apr 16, 2012
cap28: As if! Am sure evn in okonjo iwealas deluded mind she knew vry well america wld nt place her in tht job, now get back to doing wht u do best - causing mass unemplymt,poverty and despair amongst ur own ppl - u incompetent slave

GBAM +100000000000
Re: BREAKING NEWS: Okonjo-iweala Fails To Win World Bank Presidency. by Nebeuwa(m): 6:25pm On Apr 16, 2012
The old duopoly of IMF for Europe and WB for US continues for 5 years.

I am still proud of Ms. Okonjo-Iweala. It is not everyday that you hear of a black person, let alone a black woman be discussed as a possible head of an international financial institution.
Re: BREAKING NEWS: Okonjo-iweala Fails To Win World Bank Presidency. by Kobojunkie: 6:26pm On Apr 16, 2012
abbyode: She tried her best and I am proud of her.

You mean she tried her best to lobby for the position?

So, she is going to remain as Finance Minister then? WOW . . .
Re: BREAKING NEWS: Okonjo-iweala Fails To Win World Bank Presidency. by cap28: 6:41pm On Apr 16, 2012
[Quote author=NSNA][size=16pt]So let it be known that Nigerians are not all that bad.

When they were looking for a new Pope

It was said that a Nigerian was most likely to become the new Pope then.

A Nigeria almost became the world bank president.

Nigerians are the most educated Immigrants in the USA

Nigerians a working hard in all kinds of professional and manual jobs around the world.

BUT YOU NIGERIANS - STOP CALLING EACH OTHER DAMAGING NAMES

If Okonjo where to win that post, the damaging names from Nigerians alone is enough for the damage.[/size][/quote]

she was only nominated because she is currently transferrng all of nigerias wealth in to the coffers of weestrn banks and multinationals,america is jst using her to destroy her own cntry, she is a slave and stooge of the americns,undr normal circmstnces this womans name wld nvr hve been put on the list, if nigerians r as eductd as u claim hw cme many of thewm incldng u dnt knw tht the world bank has destroyed the econ independence of evry single afrcn cntry they hve been involved in?
Re: BREAKING NEWS: Okonjo-iweala Fails To Win World Bank Presidency. by cap28: 6:56pm On Apr 16, 2012
Nebeuwa: The old duopoly of IMF for Europe and WB for US continues for 5 years.

I am still proud of Ms. Okonjo-Iweala. It is not everyday that you hear of a black person, let alone a black woman be discussed as a possible head of an international financial institution.

The only time u will evr hear of a blck persons name mentiond iss wen the westrn powers intend to use them to destroy their own pple -the americns hve used obama to invvadelibya and they r still usng oknjo iweala to trnsfr all of nigerias wealth ovr to their banks and multinatnls,they also used obasanjo to privatise aevry valuable asset so tht it cld be sold back to foreign investors for pennies,keep supportng this woman who is diggng ur collective graves

1 Like

Re: BREAKING NEWS: Okonjo-iweala Fails To Win World Bank Presidency. by UIDLC: 7:00pm On Apr 16, 2012
APPLICATION FOR 2012 ADMISSION INTO THE UNIVERSITY OF IBADAN DISTANCE LEARNING CENTRE DEGREE PROGRAMME.
Applications are hereby invited from suitably qualified candidates for admission into the following Undergraduate (100 and 200 Levels) Degree Programmes in the Distance Learning Centre, University of Ibadan for the 2011/2012 Academic Session.
Please check http://dlc.ui.edu.ng/admissions for details
or call 08077593562 / 08077593538.
EMAIL: admissions@dlc.ui.edu.ng
Re: BREAKING NEWS: Okonjo-iweala Fails To Win World Bank Presidency. by Nebeuwa(m): 7:01pm On Apr 16, 2012
cap28:

The only time u will evr hear of a blck persons name mentiond iss wen the westrn powers intend to use them to destroy their own pple -the americns hve used obama to invvadelibya and they r still usng oknjo iweala to trnsfr all of nigerias wealth ovr to their banks and multinatnls,they also used obasanjo to privatise aevry valuable asset so tht it cld be sold back to foreign investors for pennies,keep supportng this woman who is diggng ur collective graves

Enough with your tripe. That is your argument for everything from what I have seen from your post. I understand you are Afrocentric, but your views are way too extreme.

And if you want to argue from an economic point of view, Ms. Okonjo-Iweala was correct to push for the oil subsidy removal. I do not understand why Nigerians were so upset doing that saga. It made economic sense, but I feel it would have taken ages to explain the wisdom about ending the oil subsidy.

Private corporations work better than government ran corporations. I would hope you realize that by now. Governments are not efficient in running a business and should only play a part in regulating industries.
Re: BREAKING NEWS: Okonjo-iweala Fails To Win World Bank Presidency. by nimi1: 7:03pm On Apr 16, 2012
Dr. Iweala has fought a good fight. She has opened up the process. She has proved a point that merit should be the basis for electing the World Bank president.[/size][size=8pt][/size][size=8pt][font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]
Re: BREAKING NEWS: Okonjo-iweala Fails To Win World Bank Presidency. by neyostica: 7:08pm On Apr 16, 2012
Nebeuwa:

Enough with your tripe. That is your argument for everything from what I have seen from your post. I understand you are Afrocentric, but your views are way too extreme.

And if you want to argue from an economic point of view, Ms. Okonjo-Iweala was correct to push for the oil subsidy removal. I do not understand why Nigerians were so upset doing that saga. It made economic sense, but I feel it would have taken ages to explain the wisdom about ending the oil subsidy.

Private corporations work better than government ran corporations. I would hope you realize that by now. Governments are not efficient in running a business and should only play a part in regulating industries.
and where has that gotten us
Re: BREAKING NEWS: Okonjo-iweala Fails To Win World Bank Presidency. by Nobody: 7:10pm On Apr 16, 2012
America lobbied her out! She is the most qualified on merit, but America rigged/lobbied her out because of their own interest, so national(USA) interest is what matter here!
Re: BREAKING NEWS: Okonjo-iweala Fails To Win World Bank Presidency. by Nebeuwa(m): 7:13pm On Apr 16, 2012
neyostica:
and where has that gotten us

Are you expecting a quick fix when there are other problems like endemic corruption that plagues every level of society?
Re: BREAKING NEWS: Okonjo-iweala Fails To Win World Bank Presidency. by Nobody: 7:26pm On Apr 16, 2012
Re: BREAKING NEWS: Okonjo-iweala Fails To Win World Bank Presidency. by igbo2011(m): 7:28pm On Apr 16, 2012
Nebeuwa:

Cap28 is right about what he says. YOu need to understand history, economics, politics, sociology, and philospju. Cap28 understands this a lot. He reads Frantz Fanon, John Perkins,and other great authors to understand the world we live in. White supremacy is at the core of many things in this world. You needto understand this if you want to understand the problems of Africa. You have to understand how Afria is still colonized through economics nad politics. The leaders collaborate with America and Europe. If they don't obey they get overthrown or die like Sankara, Lumumba, and Murtala. France still controls Francophone Africa. Without them France would be poor. That is why France had to attack Ivory Coast.

If goodluck goes his own way then Nigeria can end up like Libya and get bombs at it. But at the ned of the day it would be worse off if you look at what is happening now in Libya it was better off with Gaddaffi. What if America funded Boko Haram and MEND to kill each other. We can be like Somalia.If you look at most of the war and conflicts in this world then you see who is funding them, you will know the answer to most problems in this world.

Who funds all these African wars?? WHo supplies them with tanks and weapons? WAKE UP!!

It is good that Goodluck is obeying because they would bomb Lagos and Abuja and put decades of work in the garbage.

1 Like

Re: BREAKING NEWS: Okonjo-iweala Fails To Win World Bank Presidency. by Nobody: 7:32pm On Apr 16, 2012
When I say yorubas are cowards some folks won‘t understand. During the past few weeks we have not seen them on threads relating to ngozi, but the moment they learnt of her defeat they came out of the hiding places. F.ucking cowards.
Re: BREAKING NEWS: Okonjo-iweala Fails To Win World Bank Presidency. by Rhino5dm: 7:41pm On Apr 16, 2012
Do you ever put your brain to work? Only arrogant and foolish people would brag about something when they "intelligently" know there chances are 50:50. No wonder you lost biafra war.

lucenzo: When I say yorubas are cowards some folks won‘t understand. During the past few weeks we have not seen them on threads relating to ngozi, but the moment they learnt of her defeat they came out of the hiding places. F.ucking cowards.

I know she is the best for the job, but hey! God is never asleep. Karma is a whoring LovePeddler!
Re: BREAKING NEWS: Okonjo-iweala Fails To Win World Bank Presidency. by Mustay(m): 7:42pm On Apr 16, 2012
Hurray!!!

Prior to the selection, Naijas supported this woman just because she's a Nigerian and they took it like it's a cup competition
(well sha, na super eagles cos that). Now she lost and some have so yabbed her and am like "CHAI". Some even said "Nigerians no kukuma like her before sef". I believe in meritocracy not sentimentalism. It's no wonder GEJ said "his cabinet and other elected officials may not be the best" because we simply choose on factors that are < 'best man for the job'. Wo, let her continue co-ordinating the economy. The world doesn't need her yet, Africa's 'giant' needs her more instead.
Re: BREAKING NEWS: Okonjo-iweala Fails To Win World Bank Presidency. by khukhi(f): 7:49pm On Apr 16, 2012
I feel that government positions should be treated the same way as in the business environment. If a manager / minister doesn't perform then he or she should placed on poor work performance management for 3 months until the situation changes,and if it doesn't then the disciplinary procedures should commence.

How in the world would you give someone who cannot manage they're own currency to lead in international finance?

That's like giving a failed president a position as the leader in a global organisation such as the UN...it doesn't make sense. Check the value of the Naira to any other currency..would you allow someone who's responsible for managing those economics to lead the world? undecided undecided
Re: BREAKING NEWS: Okonjo-iweala Fails To Win World Bank Presidency. by cap28: 9:00pm On Apr 16, 2012
Nebeuwa:

My views r xtreme to u because u r intellectually comatose. Does it make sense to u tht millions of already impoverishd nigerians shld be pushed further into poverty wen this woman and her cronies live in extreme luxury,does it mke sense tht nigerian senators r paid more thn american senators for doing absolutely nthg? Does it make sense tht oknjo and her cronies steal millions of naira in public funds and thn tell the ordinary nigerian tht they cnt afford to pay a mere 18 thousnd naira mminimum wage? Nigerians r the only pple I knw of in the world who welcome abuse and oppression,since this so called subsidy was removed hve they delivered on all those empty promises they made to u? U deserve wht is cmg because ur daft and retarded, these pple dnt care abt u ,am I gttng thru to u? They jst come up wth diffrnt xcuses each time they need to plungr u furthr and furthr into povrty, they will nevr improve ur std of livng because they r obliged to honour the imf condtions tht they signed up to, sanusi has evn warned tht fuel prices r set to go up again and okonjo also warned tht electricity tarriffs will also go up, these r all in line wth wht imf instructed them to do, all tht garbage they r telling u abt infrastruccture projcts is a pack of lies -it will nvr happn. The privatisation fiasco undr obasanjo was a cmplete joke almost 9o% of those privatised companies r now bankrupt and most of them were sold to obasanjo and his friends - u bettr wake up and undrstnd tht u cn no longr afford to be carry on being ignrnt
Re: BREAKING NEWS: Okonjo-iweala Fails To Win World Bank Presidency. by dasparrow: 11:04pm On Apr 16, 2012
cap28:

My views r xtreme to u because u r intellectually comatose. Does it make sense to u tht millions of already impoverishd nigerians shld be pushed further into poverty wen this woman and her cronies live in extreme luxury,does it mke sense tht nigerian senators r paid more thn american senators for doing absolutely nthg? Does it make sense tht oknjo and her cronies steal millions of naira in public funds and thn tell the ordinary nigerian tht they cnt afford to pay a mere 18 thousnd naira mminimum wage? Nigerians r the only pple I knw of in the world who welcome abuse and oppression,since this so called subsidy was removed hve they delivered on all those empty promises they made to u? U deserve wht is cmg because ur daft and retarded, these pple dnt care abt u ,am I gttng thru to u? They jst come up wth diffrnt xcuses each time they need to plungr u furthr and furthr into povrty, they will nevr improve ur std of livng because they r obliged to honour the imf condtions tht they signed up to, sanusi has evn warned tht fuel prices r set to go up again and okonjo also warned tht electricity tarriffs will also go up, these r all in line wth wht imf instructed them to do, all tht garbage they r telling u abt infrastruccture projcts is a pack of lies -it will nvr happn. The privatisation fiasco undr obasanjo was a cmplete joke almost 9o% of those privatised companies r now bankrupt and most of them were sold to obasanjo and his friends - u bettr wake up and undrstnd tht u cn no longr afford to be carry on being ignrnt

Well said Cap28. However, that Nebeuwa guy claimed on another thread that he is an american. So he obviously does not feel the pain Nigerians in Nigeria are going through as a result of the oil subsidy removal. It is so easy for Nebeuwa to sit there and support policies that in no way affects him and his family since he is an american to begin with. Just thought I point that out.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Gov. T.a Orji And Abiastate Projects / Nba Elections Were Rigged: Lawyers' Group / GIDEON ORKAR: Ten Years After The Coup-a Look At The Man

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 123
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.