Stats: 3,150,813 members, 7,810,121 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:11 PM

The First Invention In Nigeria Could Take Place In Aba. - Science/Technology (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / The First Invention In Nigeria Could Take Place In Aba. (13627 Views)

The Animal I Killed Today At My Working-Place In Cross River / The Locally-Made Vehicle I Saw In Aba - Pictures / See What A Man In Aba Made Using "I Pass My Neighbour Generator (2) (3) (4)

Re: The First Invention In Nigeria Could Take Place In Aba. by Nobody: 7:46pm On Jun 20, 2012
Re: The First Invention In Nigeria Could Take Place In Aba. by Pakavy(m): 7:53pm On Jun 20, 2012
Eze Promoe: Hello, my fellow Nairalanders,

With the craft-work production by Aba merchants, I'm beginning to sense that invention will soon take place there.

So what do you think?
i think is maiduguri where an illeterate aboki has created an IED 4rm bangers
Re: The First Invention In Nigeria Could Take Place In Aba. by odumchi: 8:26pm On Jun 20, 2012
Aba is truly a city with an age-old tradition of impressive craftsmanship and revolutionary ingenuity. The last time I was in Aba (Christmas time 2010), I was blown away by the display of native skill exhibited in the various masks, costumes, and works in the city's various vendors. The air was thick with the scrumptious aroma of frying delicacies, and the streets were abuzz with traffic and pedestrians.

Aside from this, Aba is also Nigeria's autoparts capital; serving as a home to arguably the best engineers, mechanics, and do-it-yourself repair men in the country. There's a saying that goes: o wuru Aba enwee ya mara na odii na obodo a; meaning 'if it's not in Aba then it's not in this country'.

Aba is my second favorite city in Abia state. I won't be surprised if it has already invented something.

Re: The First Invention In Nigeria Could Take Place In Aba. by valicious1(m): 8:32pm On Jun 20, 2012
The problem with Nigerians is that we don't believe in ourselves, look, the only problem Aba has is their lack of constant electricity supply & confused governor T.A ugly. Ariria boys are really good, I've sown a correct quality shirt there for 300naira each. Let's be Nigerian and patronize Nigerians PLEASE!

Re: The First Invention In Nigeria Could Take Place In Aba. by AjanleKoko: 8:49pm On Jun 20, 2012
odumchi: Aba is truly a city with an age-old tradition of impressive craftsmanship and revolutionary ingenuity. The last time I was in Aba (Christmas time 2010), I was blown away by the display of native skill exhibited in the various masks, costumes, and works in the city's various vendors. The air was thick with the scrumptious aroma of frying delicacies, and the streets were abuzz with traffic and pedestrians.

Aside from this, Aba is also Nigeria's autoparts capital; serving as a home to arguably the best engineers, mechanics, and do-it-yourself repair men in the country. There's a saying that goes: o wuru Aba enwee ya mara na odii na obodo a; meaning 'if it's not in Aba then it's not in this country'.

Aba is my second favorite city in Abia state. I won't be surprised if it has already invented something.

True that.
I'm not sure there is anywhere in Nigeria that has a larger concentration of skilled technicians. In a more progressive country, savvy investors, entrepreneurs, and inventors would be establishing industry in Aba, in order to access the pool of skilled labour. Ah, well. maybe we will still get there. Just a little organization is needed.

Re: The First Invention In Nigeria Could Take Place In Aba. by samkoro: 9:12pm On Jun 20, 2012
timmy1999:

Guy u r too funny..so no be man dey ride the horse, na horse dey ride man for their own polo ralph

That Polo Ralph irony of a horse riding a man is very funny and creative.Hip hop world would love that.
Re: The First Invention In Nigeria Could Take Place In Aba. by maclatunji: 9:25pm On Jun 20, 2012
canuck: I have never asked this question in my 3 years on NL - So, please oblige me:

What in the world is this shallow thread doing on the Front Page??!

LOL, it saddens me that I have to agree but let me say that those who post on front-page, try to pick topics that most Nairalanders will like even if they don't always manage to pull-it-off. Exercise a little patience and understanding.
Re: The First Invention In Nigeria Could Take Place In Aba. by samkoro: 9:26pm On Jun 20, 2012
canuck: I have never asked this question in my 3 years on NL - So, please oblige me:

Yeah,thousands of more shallow threads have emerged on nairaland over the years,but that not withstanding I,m still puzzled at why ur deep brain hasn't detected it.I suggest u go for a brain scan.
Re: The First Invention In Nigeria Could Take Place In Aba. by samkoro: 9:50pm On Jun 20, 2012

I encountered some aspects of indigenous Aba industry and I realised they could compete with China or Japan if only two things are done.

1) Manufacture silicon chips and other electronic hardwares like capacitors,resistors and other devices that can support softwares

2)Research and developement
Re: The First Invention In Nigeria Could Take Place In Aba. by Nobody: 10:03pm On Jun 20, 2012
9-zeros:
first invention? smh. we already invented the 'nigerian money scam'. google dat s#it.
just checked that out, @'Nigeria letter' got me rolling on the floor laughing my phucking arse off...
Re: The First Invention In Nigeria Could Take Place In Aba. by limantertsa: 10:11pm On Jun 20, 2012
4get it wount last.we know dere product.
Re: The First Invention In Nigeria Could Take Place In Aba. by stpat1(m): 10:15pm On Jun 20, 2012

Its so unfortunate that d first question u asked on NL is a demented one which only exposed ur deranged reasoning.
If u are not well informed on what is happening there industrially why not wait n tap from the avalanche of informatiion from others.
Re: The First Invention In Nigeria Could Take Place In Aba. by Dagods(m): 10:46pm On Jun 20, 2012
jude33084:

grin good qweshion cheesy
Yiowaaaa,,,CHIKENA.
Re: The First Invention In Nigeria Could Take Place In Aba. by jmslimx(m): 11:17pm On Jun 20, 2012
Believe me if the Government can encourage peeps there , the sky is the limits . Those guys are good .. when i was in aba schooling , i heard this friend whom we played basketball for abia state together , i went to visit him not knowing he is a tailor , when i got in he was playing with his dog and he told me to sit down and he started cutting the short sleeve he wants to swore believe me within 20mins this guy was done and put inside pack and with dabo label...I was just speechless because he was too good and you go think say na confirm shirt wey them bring from italy
Re: The First Invention In Nigeria Could Take Place In Aba. by linearity: 11:22pm On Jun 20, 2012
Eze Promoe: D only tin Aba has not manufacture is fake human being. LOL.[b]

Chances are, if you look under the hood of the your phone and the majority of handsets worldwide, they are made in china...So what made the shoes and other products from Aba 'fake' and your phone and other china product 'original'?

We are our own enemies...we are quick to condemn and minimize the success and progress of our fellow countrymen but quick to give the benefit of a doubt to foreign products and patronize them instead....
Re: The First Invention In Nigeria Could Take Place In Aba. by noiseless: 11:55pm On Jun 20, 2012
NAIROBALAND MANUFACTURING, MISCHIEF, STIRRING HATRED,BACKSTABBING OR PROMOTING BIGOTRY & YAHOO YAHOO Yoruba SCAMMERS? O YESSSS!!!!!!
Re: The First Invention In Nigeria Could Take Place In Aba. by Ashagwu: 1:20am On Jun 21, 2012
temizt: The Igbo/Aba guys (in my opinion) are only good at imitating and producing low quality stuff. Check out this Aba senseless version of Polo by Ralph
U are Anti-Africa and enemy of progress, how did China come to where she is today was it not by copying America and Europe Technology. That is how to start, if Nigerians continue like this Vision 2020 may be a near reality. Lets encourage Local Tech and stop all these unneccessary importation of things we can make locally. It a BIG SHAME that Nigerians import tooth pick, hand-grater etc I mean for what? that is why we are not growing and unemployment is increasing vices in the country. I'm proud of African Inventions. RIDE ON BROTHER, IT IS THE WAY FORWARD. And freedom from Western Trade-Slavery a kind of NEO-COLONIALISM
Re: The First Invention In Nigeria Could Take Place In Aba. by wilxz(m): 4:50am On Jun 21, 2012
liman tertsa: 4get it wount last.we know dere product.

Pls o! Which product last forever? We just have a way of put ourselves down. All product has expiry date.
Re: The First Invention In Nigeria Could Take Place In Aba. by Sanguine77(m): 4:57am On Jun 21, 2012

Some people are really shallow-minded. We are talking about inventions, science and technology and how to encourage local expertise and ingenuity and you are spinning nonsense.
Well... Government shd encourage indigenious technology so that we can develop, be at par with other industrialised nations, stop unnecessary importation and save our foreign exchange.

The time for change is now
Re: The First Invention In Nigeria Could Take Place In Aba. by georgesylva(m): 5:01am On Jun 21, 2012
drzed: Nigerians (Aba people inclusive or especially) have made so many inventions already. It is our failure to appreciate home-made stuff that is killing their ingenuity and our collective progress.

Until Nigerians begin to appreciate local productivity and intellectual property, poverty will remain our unofficial watchword. Go to our polytechnics and universities and take a look at various inventions that are rusting away, especially in the Electrical and Mechanical engineering departments.

We would rather go to China and import (after specifically ask the Chinese to make) substandard equipment that we will bring back and sell to our own people. And then we blame our backwardness on the government or on bad leadership.

Our greatest enemy in Nigeria, our greatest obstacle to progress, is in fact, ourselves.

Abeggi make we hear.
Re: The First Invention In Nigeria Could Take Place In Aba. by canuck(m): 9:33am On Jun 21, 2012
maclatunji: LOL, it saddens me that I have to agree but let me say that those who post on front-page, try to pick topics that most Nairalanders will like even if they don't always manage to pull-it-off. Exercise a little patience and understanding.

Abi o. Current practices of Mods defeat the purpose of a Front Page. This thread turned the corner though.

Soo_cool: the thread is filled with information that can add value to our everyday life so it has to be on the front page!!
But on a serious note the front page has become a dumping ground for all sort of irrelevant nonsense!
methinks nairaland moderators are growing mushrooms in their brains!!

I have to give it to the posters on the thread - They turned a bland, non-stimulating thread into a treasure of information on Nigerian invention. Kudos

Leorichy: you also have to wait for three years to get.... "An answer"!

cheesy cheesy cheesy

stpat1: Its so unfortunate that d first question u asked on NL is a demented one which only exposed ur deranged reasoning.
If u are not well informed on what is happening there industrially why not wait n tap from the avalanche of informatiion from others.

Hahahahaaaaaaahahahahaaaaaaa...I laff in Anambra Igbo! grin I am actually finally enjoying info from others. The original post stinks but NLders have turned it into something exciting. So, sheath your Abakaliki-made sword and spare yourself the trouble.

Sanguine77: Some people are really shallow-minded. We are talking about inventions, science and technology and how to encourage local expertise and ingenuity and you are spinning nonsense.

See above comments - I am tired of repeating myself! OK, I will cheesy: I think it started off as a shallow thread but has turned into a goldmine! BTW, your comment is anything but SANGUINE grin
Re: The First Invention In Nigeria Could Take Place In Aba. by canuck(m): 9:45am On Jun 21, 2012
drzed: Nigerians (Aba people inclusive or especially) have made so many inventions already. It is our failure to appreciate home-made stuff that is killing their ingenuity and our collective progress.

I think we are long on industrial efforts (AKA fabrication, etc) but short on inventions.

Having said that, an Edo State-born Brino Gilbert won accolades in the US some years ago for his "Counter Collision Gadget (CCG)", as the best invention from Africa in the continental category. That was after he spent the previous 10 years seeking Nigerian government attention for his research. He also approached several groups and individuals for sponsorship, but no one responded.

http://news.biafranigeriaworld.com/archive/ngguardian/2002/oct/13/article08.html

So, I agree with drzed.

But lately, the Bank of Industry (Nigeria) has been providing SOLID support for budding/smallscale industrialists who can demonstrate commercial value of their work. I have a few friends who knew nobody in BOI but got funding support on pure merit, as it should be.

National Office for Technology Acquisition and Promotion (NOTAP) also do their bit.
Re: The First Invention In Nigeria Could Take Place In Aba. by samkoro: 10:11am On Jun 21, 2012
jmslimx: Believe me if the Government can encourage peeps there , the sky is the limits . Those guys are good .. when i was in aba schooling , i heard this friend whom we played basketball for abia state together , i went to visit him not knowing he is a tailor , when i got in he was playing with his dog and he told me to sit down and he started cutting the short sleeve he wants to swore believe me within 20mins this guy was done and put inside pack and with dabo label...I was just speechless because he was too good and you go think say na confirm shirt wey them bring from italy

U encountered tailoring and u were amazed.What if u had encountered their machinery ten yrs ago.I tell all they need is electronic hardwares that can support softwares.Some automated industrial machines and the respective control panels are built in Aba
Re: The First Invention In Nigeria Could Take Place In Aba. by samkoro: 10:28am On Jun 21, 2012
canuck:

I think we are long on industrial efforts (AKA fabrication, etc) but short on inventions.

Having said that, an Edo State-born Brino Gilbert won accolades in the US some years ago for his "Counter Collision Gadget (CCG)", as the best invention from Africa in the continental category. That was after he spent the previous 10 years seeking Nigerian government attention for his research. He also approached several groups and individuals for sponsorship, but no one responded.

http://news.biafranigeriaworld.com/archive/ngguardian/2002/oct/13/article08.html

So, I agree with drzed.

U are now talking.If various invasions and breaktroughs by citizens of this country is revealed to you,u just can't believe it.Ull feel like running to Aso rock or national assembly with a sharp cutlass.The standards and inteligence in it makes the Western world uncomfortable,they fight or down play the fits with their media
But lately, the Bank of Industry (Nigeria) has been providing SOLID support for budding/smallscale industrialists who can demonstrate commercial value of their work. I have a few friends who knew nobody in BOI but got funding support on pure merit, as it should be.

National Office for Technology Acquisition and Promotion (NOTAP) also do their bit.

Re: The First Invention In Nigeria Could Take Place In Aba. by samkoro: 10:36am On Jun 21, 2012
canuck:

So, I agree with drzed.

U are now talking.If various invasions and breaktroughs by citizens of this country is revealed to you,u just can't believe it.Ull feel like running to Aso rock or national assembly with a sharp cutlass.The standards and inteligence in it makes the Western world uncomfortable,they fight or down play the fits with their media.Majority of our leaders and citizen are anti science and technology and pro politics
Re: The First Invention In Nigeria Could Take Place In Aba. by saintohia: 11:29am On Jun 21, 2012
If Abia State has had only one thinking government either at state or federal level, Aba should be competing with a country like Japan.

Note: A basic Chinese item is not better than an Aba made product.
Re: The First Invention In Nigeria Could Take Place In Aba. by saintohia: 11:30am On Jun 21, 2012
Aba has been inventing stuffs.
Re: The First Invention In Nigeria Could Take Place In Aba. by canuck(m): 11:35am On Jun 21, 2012
samkoro:

U are now talking.If various invasions and breaktroughs by citizens of this country is revealed to you,u just can't believe it.[b]Ull feel like running to Aso rock or national assembly with a sharp cutlass.[/b]The standards and inteligence in it makes the Western world uncomfortable,they fight or down play the fits with their media.Majority of our leaders and citizen are anti science and technology and pro politics

grin cheesy grin
Re: The First Invention In Nigeria Could Take Place In Aba. by deloon(m): 11:48am On Jun 21, 2012

I think its you who is senseless. If you don't like what's in the front page, get ur behind to the "backpage" and stop talking trash over what you can't control. Or are we to clap for you coz you've been on NL for 3 years? Nonsense!

Re: The First Invention In Nigeria Could Take Place In Aba. by deloon(m): 11:49am On Jun 21, 2012

Re: The First Invention In Nigeria Could Take Place In Aba. by basadenet: 12:38pm On Jun 21, 2012
Moderator please delete this post immediately
Re: The First Invention In Nigeria Could Take Place In Aba. by EzePromoe: 2:05pm On Jun 21, 2012
I've been to Aba severally and found at that those people are creative. It's just the problem we have in our country, of course lack of skills empowerment. Look at another example, Nnewi which we usually call the Nigerian Taiwan, whereby this dudes are not given the necessary support. Let our government learn how to support small and medium scale enterprises and for once take away their eyes from the liquid black gold (petroleum).

Arab Man Spotted Using A "Rugged " Robot As A Bodyguard At A Mall (Photos) / Woman Born Without Arms Is Both A Black Belt And A Licensed Pilot / How Do To Transfer Whatsapp Messages To Gbwhatsapp

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80