Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,224 members, 7,822,138 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 07:14 AM

“1st Yoruba Movie Academy Awards 2012 : The Nominees Are..." - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / “1st Yoruba Movie Academy Awards 2012 : The Nominees Are..." (15211 Views)

Photos From The Africa Movie Academy Awards 2015 / Full List Of 2015 African Movie Academy Awards (AMAA) Nominees / Photos From The Star-studded Africa Movie Academy Awards (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

“1st Yoruba Movie Academy Awards 2012 : The Nominees Are..." by Agstar(f): 1:55pm On Apr 18, 2012
The List of Nominees have been made known for new categories in the Yoruba Movie Academy Awards( YMAA’s) slated to make its debut in May 2012 ; Best Musician in an acting role, Best Cross – over actor, Best Yoruba Cultural movie, YMAA Best Marketer, and Best Comedy Actor. The new categories in trying to invoke the “spirit of change”, have probably left out certain vital categories, especially with the churning out of many low ebbed quality works.

The Award obviously focuses on rewarding individuals rather than the usual ‘movie pick’ and dwells more on DVD releases, or how do you explain the absence of Tunde Kelani’s “MAAMI”, even if you don’t want to include Tade Ogidan’s “Family on Fire” (based on the presence of white cast), but if it’s strictly the use of the Yoruba language, what about the movie “Aramotu?”

Anyway, The Yoruba Movie Academy Awards (YMAA) has joined the ‘Awards band wagon” alongside latest entrants (Golden Icons Academy Movie Awards (GIAMA) , Nollywood Movies Awards (NMA)) to square off with existing ones (AMAA, ZAFAA, Nollywood Film Critics). The Maiden edition which is powered by Laface Entertainment and Zimrage Multimedia, will be hosted by the Ogun State government at the June 12 Cultural Centre Kuto, Abeokuta. The event will coincide with the marking of His Excellency, Governor Ibikunle Amosun’s one year in office and will reward Yollywood (as some call it).

Plans are on the way by the Ogun State Government to build a world class movie village for the Yoruba movie industry, which falls within the ambit of its Tourism drive for the state. Where such feat is achieved, then Nollywood practitioners (as they are referred to) who rely on the English language as the medium of expression would be pained, as repeated calls for the government to build a movie village, somewhere in Badagry, Lagos, has continued to fall on deaf ears.

Below is the list of Nominees for the various categories in YMAA 2012:s

BEST ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE
• Yomi Fash Lanso
• Odunlade Adekola
• Muyiwa Ademola
• Femi Adebayo
• Femi Branch

BEST ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE
• Fathia Balogun
• Toyin Aimakhu
• Funke Akindele
• Bimbo Akintola
• Mosun Filani

BEST MUSICIAN IN AN ACTING ROLE
• Pasuma
• Idris Abdulkareem
• Saheed Osupa
• Obesere
• Sexy Steel

MOST PROMISING ACTOR
• Tinuke Ogungbe
• Damola Olatunji
• Gabriel Afolayan
• Bisi Komolafe
• Kayode Akinbayo

read more on ...http://9aijabooksandmovies./2012/04/18/1st-yoruba-movie-academy-awards-2012-funke-akindele-other-nominees-to-slug-it-out/

Re: “1st Yoruba Movie Academy Awards 2012 : The Nominees Are..." by omar22(m): 3:16pm On Apr 18, 2012
This is were Looney meets the road....
Re: “1st Yoruba Movie Academy Awards 2012 : The Nominees Are..." by Nobody: 5:13pm On Apr 18, 2012
Funke Akindele is hilarious. I saw her in one film with Ini Edo and Mercy Johnson. They were all chasing white men (Arabs and Indians with names like O'Brien lol).

Why are there Yoruba Movie Academy Awards though?
Re: “1st Yoruba Movie Academy Awards 2012 : The Nominees Are..." by SisiKill1: 5:16pm On Apr 18, 2012
Naija sha, we can overdo things sha. . .AYAMA, YAMA, YAMA, EWW, NAMA, KIFI, GONA. . .How many award ceremonies do they need?

I suppose it would be hard to mention the movies these actors and actresses are nominated for. . .what with them making one billion movies per hour. undecided

1 Like

Re: “1st Yoruba Movie Academy Awards 2012 : The Nominees Are..." by Musiwa: 5:18pm On Apr 18, 2012
Yollywood nice
Re: “1st Yoruba Movie Academy Awards 2012 : The Nominees Are..." by Otunba009: 5:21pm On Apr 18, 2012
Best actot-FEMI ADEBAYO...Best actress-FUNKE AKINDELE Best Music ACtor-SAHEED Osupa OLUFIMO AKO Ko
Re: “1st Yoruba Movie Academy Awards 2012 : The Nominees Are..." by Basics007: 5:27pm On Apr 18, 2012
Musiwa: Yollywood nice
Looking forward to the satellite images of this event.
@OP. Award judges can only make their choice based on entrants for an award. Remember requests are sent to movie producers to send their movies for consideration. A producer may decide not to enter his/her own movie for the award. Tunde Kelani may've done this hence the reason why MAAMI is not up for nomination. Remember it's not yet on dvd format so he may be wary of pirates layin their hands on it hence the reason for no entrant of MAAMI.
I hope the award organisers do a good job all the same.
Re: “1st Yoruba Movie Academy Awards 2012 : The Nominees Are..." by Afam4eva(m): 5:36pm On Apr 18, 2012
Why must it be called "Academy awards"? A Yoruba film award should have a Yoruba name throughout.
Re: “1st Yoruba Movie Academy Awards 2012 : The Nominees Are..." by juman(m): 5:44pm On Apr 18, 2012
MOST PROMISING ACTOR
• Bisi Komolafe
Re: “1st Yoruba Movie Academy Awards 2012 : The Nominees Are..." by Nobody: 6:10pm On Apr 18, 2012
afam4eva: Why must it be called "Academy awards"? A Yoruba film award should have a Yoruba name throughout.
gbam.. Atleast for originality

1 Like

Re: “1st Yoruba Movie Academy Awards 2012 : The Nominees Are..." by yommy2sure(m): 6:13pm On Apr 18, 2012
why are the movies that earned them nominations not listed beside their names? And all this bastardization of awards self *sighs*

1 Like

Re: “1st Yoruba Movie Academy Awards 2012 : The Nominees Are..." by Afam4eva(m): 6:14pm On Apr 18, 2012
9jadelta:
gbam.. Atleast for originality

Abi oo....which one be Yoruba Academmy awards, Amaa Academy awards. I'm not sure they even know what academy means.
Re: “1st Yoruba Movie Academy Awards 2012 : The Nominees Are..." by Afam4eva(m): 6:15pm On Apr 18, 2012
yommy2sure: why are the movies that earned them nominations not listed beside their names? And all this bastardization of awards self *sighs*

Movie awards in Nigeria have gone to the dogs. people win awards for doing nothing.
Re: “1st Yoruba Movie Academy Awards 2012 : The Nominees Are..." by PurestBoy(m): 6:23pm On Apr 18, 2012
Gabriel Afolayan is tha bomb...that was the lad born by Opeyemi Ayeola & Yemi in Madam Dearest[size=12pt][/size]

1 Like

Re: “1st Yoruba Movie Academy Awards 2012 : The Nominees Are..." by yommy2sure(m): 6:37pm On Apr 18, 2012
afam4eva:

Movie awards in Nigeria have gone to the dogs. people win awards for doing nothing.
i tire jare, we are so fond of celebrating mediocrity and evrything below it here in Nigeria, people deliver good acting to get an award in Hollywood, you will even be surprised that some big names havent gotten a recognized award yer, but here evry dick and harry has gotten some awards for spying @ the camera. Abegi
Re: “1st Yoruba Movie Academy Awards 2012 : The Nominees Are..." by Aladinn(m): 6:39pm On Apr 18, 2012
Must evry movie industry have a 'wood' to its suffix?
Yollywood and other -hoods are just parodies. It belies creativity. A much better name will do.
Re: “1st Yoruba Movie Academy Awards 2012 : The Nominees Are..." by xarxes(m): 7:34pm On Apr 18, 2012
And 2moro d southwesterners wud now say we in 9ja r not one at all why must it b Yoruba dis Yoruba dat from yoruba African magic 2 Yoruba movie abi drama awards Are dis set of nigerians dis divisive and tribalistic?
Re: “1st Yoruba Movie Academy Awards 2012 : The Nominees Are..." by Jarus(m): 7:40pm On Apr 18, 2012
I don't know his name, so don't know whether he is among the nominees up there, but the 'fight-lion' guy that plays the role of Ambali in recent Yoruba comedies should be the most promising actor.

Hafeez Oyetoro(used by Etisalat as Saka) is another great guy in Yoruba movie indutry now
Re: “1st Yoruba Movie Academy Awards 2012 : The Nominees Are..." by tpia5: 7:45pm On Apr 18, 2012
pics and short bios?
Re: “1st Yoruba Movie Academy Awards 2012 : The Nominees Are..." by 9jafreak: 7:47pm On Apr 18, 2012
Gabriel Afolayan

genius!

Just genius!

And has anybody heard his song on Notjustok?

Extraordinary acting and vocal dexterity!

1 Like

Re: “1st Yoruba Movie Academy Awards 2012 : The Nominees Are..." by Ejine(m): 9:03pm On Apr 18, 2012
"Yollywood"? Seriously, YOLLYWOOD!!? shocked
I swear, this is all Bombay's fault cry. If those guys hadn't copied Hollywood into "Bollywood", these our Godforsaken Nigerian brothers wouldn't have gone on overdrive, making that nonsensical thing called "Nollywood", quickly followed by "Kannywood" (Hausa film industry), and this total mess called "Yollywood", and our Ghanaian brothers wouldn't have followd suit to make "Ghallywood". cry

Maybe we should also establish the film industry in Asaba as AssyWood?
Shiit, shiit, shiit, shiit, SHIIT!!!!
Re: “1st Yoruba Movie Academy Awards 2012 : The Nominees Are..." by warlei(m): 9:27pm On Apr 18, 2012
Ejiné: "Yollywood"? Seriously, YOLLYWOOD!!? shocked
I swear, this is all Bombay's fault cry. If those guys hadn't copied Hollywood into "Bollywood", these our Godforsaken Nigerian brothers wouldn't have gone on overdrive, making that nonsensical thing called "Nollywood", quickly followed by "Kannywood" (Hausa film industry), and this total mess called "Yollywood", and our Ghanaian brothers wouldn't have followd suit to make "Ghallywood". cry

Maybe we should also establish the film industry in Asaba as AssyWood?
Shiit, shiit, shiit, shiit, SHIIT!!!!
ur a really funny guy
Re: “1st Yoruba Movie Academy Awards 2012 : The Nominees Are..." by Freesia(f): 9:34pm On Apr 18, 2012
Best actor in leading role: can't decide between Femi Adebayo and Yomi Fash Lanso
Most promising actor:Gabriel Afolayan....this guy is going places,he's really good
Best Actress:Tough one as well can't make up my mind between Fathia Balogun & Bimbo Akintola
Re: “1st Yoruba Movie Academy Awards 2012 : The Nominees Are..." by Deytorlha(f): 9:39pm On Apr 18, 2012
ogugua88: Funke Akindele is hilarious. I saw her in one film with Ini Edo and Mercy Johnson. They were all chasing white men (Arabs and Indians with names like O'Brien lol).

Why are there Yoruba Movie Academy Awards though?
[quote author=ogugua88]Funke Akindele is hilarious. I saw her in one film with Ini Edo and Mercy Johnson. They were all chasing white men (Arabs and Indians with names like O'Brien lol).

D movie is White Hunters.Thumbs up 2 d Funke Akindele.
Re: “1st Yoruba Movie Academy Awards 2012 : The Nominees Are..." by Afam4eva(m): 9:40pm On Apr 18, 2012
Jarus: I don't know his name, so don't know whether he is among the nominees up there, but the 'fight-lion' guy that plays the role of Ambali in recent Yoruba comedies should be the most promising actor.

Hafeez Oyetoro(used by Etisalat as Saka) is another great guy in Yoruba movie indutry now

Saka is really good. I've known him way before he became known.
Re: “1st Yoruba Movie Academy Awards 2012 : The Nominees Are..." by Phonon: 10:55pm On Apr 18, 2012
I hope there is a category for "Worst English Sub-Titles?"
"I haf bin calling him and he did not peak.Why is he not peaking?"
*SMH*
Re: “1st Yoruba Movie Academy Awards 2012 : The Nominees Are..." by Afam4eva(m): 11:17pm On Apr 18, 2012
Phonon: I hope there is a category for "Worst English Sub-Titles?"
*SMH*

That's one of the reasons why i watch Yoruba at times grin grin grin.

1 Like

Re: “1st Yoruba Movie Academy Awards 2012 : The Nominees Are..." by Nobody: 11:22pm On Apr 18, 2012
Why is there yollwood and hausawood, are some
Ppl scared of competition in nollywood? Soon when
Edo's will conquer nollywood then you will hear
Some start giving igbowood awrd too!
All this sponsors,actors and actress should be
Under nollywood(it doesn't mean you can't
speak ur language in the movie) . Atimes I wonder
how most ppl on nl will always blame igbos of
wanting to divide nigeria where else they re the
Ones that unite this country more than anybody.
Pls don't insult me for saying my mind, you can
Ignore it.
Re: “1st Yoruba Movie Academy Awards 2012 : The Nominees Are..." by Afam4eva(m): 11:28pm On Apr 18, 2012
Toaskarity: Why is there yollwood and hausawood, are some
Ppl scared of competition in nollywood? Soon when
Edo's will conquer nollywood then you will hear
Some start giving igbowood awrd too!
All this sponsors,actors and actress should be
Under nollywood(it doesn't mean you can't
speak ur language in the movie) . Atimes I wonder
how most ppl on nl will always blame igbos of
wanting to divide nigeria where else they re the
Ones that unite this country more than anybody.
Pls don't insult me for saying my mind, you can
Ignore it.

Do you know that in India there is Bollywwod, Kollywood and other woods but Bollywood is the most popular because it the the hindi's own film industry while the Tamils have Kollywood. I see no reason why we can't have Yollywood, hausawood, ijawwood, calabarwood or OsisiNgwa. Nollywood will still remain the numero uno.
Re: “1st Yoruba Movie Academy Awards 2012 : The Nominees Are..." by AreaFada2: 12:19am On Apr 19, 2012
afam4eva:

Do you know that in India there is Bollywwod, Kollywood and other woods but Bollywood is the most popular because it the the hindi's own film industry while the Tamils have Kollywood. I see no reason why we can't have Yollywood, hausawood, ijawwood, calabarwood or OsisiNgwa. Nollywood will still remain the numero uno.

They all already exist. Maybe not so famous yet.

Kannywood: Kano/Kaduna-based Hausa film industry.
BennyWood: Benin-based Edo film industry
Yollywood: Yoruba-based and quite impressive film industry.
The names may not be the most original but thy do make sense.

In a diverse country like Naija, maybe Nollywood can show the kind of regionalism that would help Naija advance economically and politically.

Nollywood is actually mostly Igbo-based with a sprinkling of people of other tribes.
Asaba is becoming a very popular location for Nollywood films because it is relatively quite and beautiful.
Re: “1st Yoruba Movie Academy Awards 2012 : The Nominees Are..." by yommy2sure(m): 1:30am On Apr 19, 2012
Phonon: I hope there is a category for "Worst English Sub-Titles?"
*SMH*
guy u r so on point or when the thing tire them them go put (exchanging plesantires), (incantations), (greetings)....lmao!

2 Likes

Re: “1st Yoruba Movie Academy Awards 2012 : The Nominees Are..." by Nobody: 1:37am On Apr 19, 2012
Good idea!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Big Brother House Found:official Launch Date Is October 5th / Bbnaija - Cee-c Should Be In Zamfara Zoo - Man Slams The Controversial Housemate / Roki And Maneta Disqualified From BBA Stargame For Fighting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.