Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,572 members, 7,812,853 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:45 PM

Site Review - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Site Review (1154 Views)

Lagoslabs.com Site Review / Colorbox / Thickbox / Critical Site Review / Site Review: Naija Lingo (pidgin English Dictionary) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Site Review by Egavlas(m): 3:04pm On Nov 07, 2007
Please review this site: www.topcommng.com .

It seems it behaves better in firefox cause of the popup .

What do you think?
Re: Site Review by my2cents(m): 3:54pm On Nov 07, 2007
Finally a site that was coded with FF in mind. Yay!! grin

Anyways, here are my 2 cents:

1) The 4 images at the top: I thought they were just header images until I mistakenly hovered over one of them. I noticed what appeared to be menu items and so I proceeded to click on one of them. For where? No response. I assume those are just features under each image. I would probably revisit the design of that area. It was kind of confusing to me as you can probably tell from my comments.

2) y do i have to scroll down on your "contact" page to see the "send" button? Just let the form flow freely. Again, it wasn't that intuitive to me that I had to scroll to the bottom. Also, the way you have the "services" form element is bad from an accessibility and usability stand point. Consider making it a regular drop down. If you want the user to be able to select more than one, consider using check boxes.

3) Apply javascript in addition to the php (or whatever) backend validation. I shouldn't hv to hit "send" before realizing that I didn't fill out a form.

4) The 4 images at the top: 3 of the 4 seem to be composed of 2 words which you have joined to form 1 word. What's worse is that the 2nd one has text that is so long that i it touching the edges of the black box. I would consider setting a max length for that. Same applies to the "Mission Statement" header.

5) On "portfolio" and "services" pages, the "creative excellence" header in the rightmost column is a little higher than the other 2. In other words, all 3 don't line up and in my opinion, should.

6) Under "jobs we have done (portfolio page)", it would be nice to have the URLs for the sites and/or a whitepaper explaining what you did in detail

7) Looking at the source code, your pages seem to be suffering from "divitis (too many divs)". Also, referring to your code from #6 above, rather than use "P" and "BR" tags, y not use "LI" tags (better for SEO and web standards (semantic markup) purposes)? You could then use CSS to style the list as necessary.

I hope these help.
Re: Site Review by Egavlas(m): 4:20pm On Nov 07, 2007
my2cents:

Finally a site that was coded with FF in mind. Yay!! grin

Anyways, here are my 2 cents:

1) The 4 images at the top: I thought they were just header images until I mistakenly hovered over one of them. I noticed what appeared to be menu items and so I proceeded to click on one of them. For where? No response. I assume those are just features under each image. I would probably revisit the design of that area. It was kind of confusing to me as you can probably tell from my comments.

2) y do i have to scroll down on your "contact" page to see the "send" button? Just let the form flow freely. Again, it wasn't that intuitive to me that I had to scroll to the bottom. Also, the way you have the "services" form element is bad from an accessibility and usability stand point. Consider making it a regular drop down. If you want the user to be able to select more than one, consider using check boxes.

3) Apply javascript in addition to the php (or whatever) backend validation. I shouldn't hv to hit "send" before realizing that I didn't fill out a form.

4) The 4 images at the top: 3 of the 4 seem to be composed of 2 words which you have joined to form 1 word. What's worse is that the 2nd one has text that is so long that i it touching the edges of the black box. I would consider setting a max length for that. Same applies to the "Mission Statement" header.

5) On "portfolio" and "services" pages, the "creative excellence" header in the rightmost column is a little higher than the other 2. In other words, all 3 don't line up and in my opinion, should.

6) Under "jobs we have done (portfolio page)", it would be nice to have the URLs for the sites and/or a whitepaper explaining what you did in detail

7) Looking at the source code, your pages seem to be suffering from "divitis (too many divs)". Also, referring to your code from #6 above, rather than use "P" and "BR" tags, y not use "LI" tags (better for SEO and web standards (semantic markup) purposes)? You could then use CSS to style the list as necessary.

I hope these help.

@my2cents

Thanks for the review.

for number 1) comment above, they are supposed to be header images that reveal a bit about the key services (the concatenated words). The popup you see when you rollover the words are just a summary of the services rendered under each category.

Its just a way of making a site attractive and making use of small design real estate(space).
There was no point creating a whole different page that would just have a 5 line list of subservices.
And no, they are not supposed to lead you to any page.

on number 6) comment, Its the clients prerogative to have a link back to their clients websites and jobs done and not mine. If they asked for that and gave me links, would have done that.

Will look at the creative excellence header to see how it should line up
Re: Site Review by Egavlas(m): 4:27pm On Nov 07, 2007
I see what you mean concerning the contact form.

I guess I was so interested in keeping the site compact.

Will have to elongate that page to contain it all now.
Re: Site Review by my2cents(m): 4:33pm On Nov 07, 2007
Ah, I thought it was your site (referring to #6). My bad. Regardless, recommend what I told you to them.

For #1, might I suggest you do one of the following:

1) Via flash, have the 4 header images randomly "flip over (kind of like solitaire)", say, 2 at a time, to reveal those service summaries. Of course, to avoid flashterbation, you would flip those images such that it isn't happening, say, every 2 seconds. You are already doing something like this with your 'latest events", OR

2) Have some kind of "click here to learn more" on those header images. For creativity, you could add this text/image against a translucent background. You could do this either as an image (adjust opacity to say, 50%) or via CSS. Again, though creative, it wasn't that intuitive to me (and I am in Web Dev) at first. Put yourself in the potential customers shoes - would you have known to click on those images coming to the site for the first time? I seriously doubt it.

Finally, I wouldn't worry about keeping the contact form compact. Most people surfing the web these days know how to use the scroll bar wink

Again, I hope these help.
Re: Site Review by Egavlas(m): 4:54pm On Nov 07, 2007
@my2cents

thanks.

People are not used to clicking images but buttons.

Those buttons under the images(eventManagement, publicRelations, etc) are what I believe people would try to click first and thats why there is the rollover/popup javascript events added to them.

I was not banking on people clicking the header images but the buttons under them. Guess thats how you found out about the things under right?

To add *click here to learn more* to the images would require click leading the person to another page right?
Well, like I said, there isnt much point having a full different page for displaying like five words of services, is there?

Thanks though for the tips.
Re: Site Review by Egavlas(m): 4:58pm On Nov 07, 2007
don't want to open another thread
Re: Site Review by my2cents(m): 5:18pm On Nov 07, 2007
1) form elements don't line up on "contact us" page

2) on "about us" page, text bleeds into client photos

3) When i hover over navigational links, they change from white to deep blue which gives the impression that they "disappear". not good.

4) Either you use overflow:auto everywhere or you don't, for consistency purposes. Don't pick and choose.

5) "contacts" link is broken in the footer on home page

6) same javascript validation issue from above

7) I would also probably make the font size a little larger.

I hope these help.
Re: Site Review by Egavlas(m): 5:27pm On Nov 07, 2007
Great! Knew could count on you to fish em out.

number 3) yes, I will need to change the on hover state of the text button links.

number 5) thanks will update that link

number 4) not too sure what you are referring to. Is it so much of a problem? Its only when you start looking at source files that u notice. Web visitors just view website and dont always go to source.

You are a programmer and thats why u go there

number 7) I really have a problem with  very bold fonts. Really isnt attractive on websites.

Thanks once again
Re: Site Review by my2cents(m): 5:44pm On Nov 07, 2007
#4 really has nothing to do with viewing source. I was only curious to see how you implemented it - either as a frame or overflowed div grin
What I mean here is, if I were you, for consistency (which is something visitors will likely notice), either you should hv all your content in that portion of the pages have an overflow or they shdnt. Compare "services" page to "about us" page. If you still don't get it, let me know.

By the way, just because users don't view source, it doesn't mean you are to use it as an excuse for poorly structured code/design. That's like saying, "well, drivers don't disassemble the brake set so why should I bother adding .001mm more of brake pad?" Always, develop all your sites such that they conform to web standards. If you take this into account early on in the project (research shows that 90% of your time should be spent at the beginning and only 10% spent coding), you don't have to worry about refactoring.

For #7, I am not saying you should make your fonts bolder. Let's take a look at your CSS for this section (focus on the bolded text):
[size=8pt]#ourvisiontext p  {
font: 11px/13px Tahoma;
margin: 0px;
text-align: left;
}
[/size]

All I am saying is increase the 11px to, say, 13px or 14px. By the way, I just noticed that when I increased it on my end, the text went over the footer portion of your page. Why did you set a fixed height? Let the page flow naturally.

Finally, rather than assign a bunch of divs with font sizes, put all that within the CSS declaration for your body tag. Then, if you must have 1 or 2 variations, you apply it to the "p" tags. The way you have it now, it doesn't account for reusability. In other words, if I asked you to make one section 12px and 3 sections 14px, you would have to modify a bunch of CSS declarations.

I hope this helps.
Re: Site Review by Egavlas(m): 6:03pm On Nov 07, 2007
my2cents:

#4 really has nothing to do with viewing source. I was only curious to see how you implemented it - either as a frame or overflowed div grin
What I mean here is, if I were you, for consistency (which is something visitors will likely notice), either you should hv all your content in that portion of the pages have an overflow or they shdnt. Compare "services" page to "about us" page. If you still don't get it, let me know.

Who says services page must be structured the same way as about us page?

By the way, just because users don't view source, it doesn't mean you are to use it as an excuse for poorly structured code/design. That's like saying, "well, drivers don't disassemble the brake set so why should I bother adding .001mm more of brake pad?" Always, develop all your sites such that they conform to web standards. If you take this into account early on in the project (research shows that 90% of your time should be spent at the beginning and only 10% spent coding), you don't have to worry about refactoring.

There you go sounding like the best designer on Nairaland grin . Poorly structured code and design? Please dont let me start. You were doing well before now. Let other ppl judge your own designs and then you can know if you can call any other person's poorly designed.

For #7, I am not saying you should make your fonts bolder. Let's take a look at your CSS for this section (focus on the bolded text):
[size=8pt]#ourvisiontext p {
font: 11px/13px Tahoma;
margin: 0px;
text-align: left;
}
[/size]

All I am saying is increase the 11px to, say, 13px or 14px. By the way, I just noticed that when I increased it on my end, the text went over the footer portion of your page. Why did you set a fixed height? Let the page flow naturally.

Like I said, dont like large fonts. Doesnt make for good design on websites. I saw some sites you made from your portfolio. Lokk how attractive they are with those large fonts.

Finally, rather than assign a bunch of divs with font sizes, put all that within the CSS declaration for your body tag. Then, if you must have 1 or 2 variations, you apply it to the "p" tags. The way you have it now, it doesn't account for reusability. In other words, if I asked you to make one section 12px and 3 sections 14px, you would have to modify a bunch of CSS declarations.

I hope this helps.

This is the only good comment in this ur last post. The rest made in bad taste. Really am wondering just how good you believe ur designs are? smiley
Re: Site Review by my2cents(m): 6:16pm On Nov 07, 2007
I have never claimed to be the best designer. Best developer? I know enough to be dangerous. Best designer? I try my best in that department. So far, so good. I could go as far as saying that based on the sites you have shown us here, only 1 or 2 of my sites are as bad as yours, but I don't want to get personal. That wouldn't serve us any good. A website isn't all about photos and flash. It's about well-structured code. Sure, the graphics attract, but as they say with women, it's what's inside that counts.

Growing up, I am sure you encountered situations where, say, your Dad would do something and you would ask, "Dad why do you say I shouldn't do it when you have done it?" I am sure the response was something along the lines of, "just because I have done it doesn't mean that you should". I have never asked anyone on here to do as I do. I can only advise to the best of my ability. Have I made mistakes in my life? sure. But that doesn't mean I will advise based on those same mistakes.

As far as font sizing goes, you dictate the tune. You said you looked at fonts on my pages. What you will rarely find is a case where I give my content containers a height. That is bad. Now, if you resize, of course my menu items will grow past their containers. That can't be helped. But content area? Again, I rarely set heights.

Sorry if you took my comments in bad taste. If you look closely, you will notice that I am not saying anything bad about you as a person but about your sites which I have decided to review, free of charge I might add. That notwithstanding, just remember - The truth is not a drink you serve with panadol. It is meant to hurt and it is meant to be bitter. Also, I refer you to a quote by Benjamin Franklin (paraphrased), "You should learn to like your critics and take them as friends because they help point out your mistakes and make you a better person".

I thought I was doing something good. oh well, no good deed, as they say, goes unpunished. I beg my adieu.
Re: Site Review by Egavlas(m): 6:23pm On Nov 07, 2007
Yes you were doing something good till you posted something like poorly designed site .

And please if you make such a statement, then your websites must really be something.

Thats really why I was surprised at you.

Your ealier comments that you made, I actually thanked you for pointing out some things that were overlooked.

As for the part where you say only two of your sites are *as bad*, I think you really overestimate your sites.

Let others be the judge of that.

Also to add that truth is not bitter. Criticsms or comments or downright knock downs.
Its not bitter. Its good to sift out comments that are laced with undertones.

Thanks
Re: Site Review by my2cents(m): 6:30pm On Nov 07, 2007
As for the part where you say only two of your sites are *as bad*, I think you really overestimate your sites.

Au contraire, mon frere. I never under/over-estimate. Every single site I have developed, I put them up for review here. All 11 of them. Read the posts, you will see them. Are all the reviews good? Nope. But do I swallow the truth pill, as bitter as it may be, in good spirits? You bet I do. With me, you get what you pay for - you pay me $300, you get nothing. You pay $1000 you get a lot. That's why I ask for a client's budget up front.

Since it seems I am talking too much here, I will let others have their say with respect to your sites. Again, I thought I was doing something good, but I guess not.
Re: Site Review by Nobody: 6:35pm On Nov 07, 2007
@poster
my2cents is very correct
The 4 images at the top should be like a flash video ,scrolling around
first thing when i got to the site was to click it as a link but i got the opposite cool
Re: Site Review by Egavlas(m): 6:39pm On Nov 07, 2007
bros, I dont know if u like repeating urself. I said just before you posted this last one that you were actually doing good. Till you started alluding to the fact that the sites are *poorly designed*.

Now is that an issue? No.

But if you say that and I see really great site designs, that you have, I wouldnt bother but my issue is that if you make such a statement, let your designs be real good.

Am I saying my designs are great ? No. But I expect to see a great design from you if you say its poorly designed. Thats all.

If I thought the sites were great, I would have posted the title as *My great designs please look*

Thanks
Re: Site Review by Nobody: 6:44pm On Nov 07, 2007
www.starfxacademy.com
is the site good?
Re: Site Review by Afam(m): 6:46pm On Nov 07, 2007
@my2cents,

If the Salvage feels that you are insulting his design and/or person, clarify yourself and continue with the review or say bye bye.

Personally, Nigerians like advising others but never like to take advice.

As a reviewer I have been misunderstood.

As someone asking for reviews I have also been misunderstood because I refuse to accept insults as criticisms.

As they say clever people know how to solve problems, wise people know how to avoid problems. I have chosen to be wise as time spent solving avoidable problems could as well be used making progress elsewhere.
Re: Site Review by Egavlas(m): 6:50pm On Nov 07, 2007
mdsocks:

@poster
my2cents is very correct
The 4 images at the top should be like a flash video ,scrolling around
first thing when i got to the site was to click it as a link but i got the opposite cool

@mdsocks

Thanks.
You mean when you got to the site you tried clicking on the images as link?

the flash video scrolling around ? how do you mean?

Is it just ok for the images to be scrolling around and nothing else?
Would like to be clear on what u mean .

Thanks
Re: Site Review by Egavlas(m): 7:00pm On Nov 07, 2007
Afam:

@my2cents,

If the Salvage feels that you are insulting his design and/or person, clarify yourself and continue with the review or say bye bye.

Personally, Nigerians like advising others but never like to take advice.

As a reviewer I have been misunderstood.

As someone asking for reviews I have also been misunderstood because I refuse to accept insults as criticisms.

As they say clever people know how to solve problems, wise people know how to avoid problems. I have chosen to be wise as time spent solving avoidable problems could as well be used making progress elsewhere.

Great!

If I review or comment on anyones site, I know not to make a statement like poorly designed cause then, the next requirement would be for the person making the comment to show his designs.

I would have swallowed my spittle if I had looked at his designs to see really great designs.

People can always advice and comment on site reviews but its condescending and contemptous for someone to just label it poorly designed if the person hasnt got an impressive array himself. Thats the only thing that gives you the bragging rights.

If you read from top, I was shown some things that I overlooked of which am greatful but then he went another way
Re: Site Review by my2cents(m): 7:12pm On Nov 07, 2007
If I review or comment on anyones site, I know not to make a statement like poorly designed cause then, the next requirement would be for the person making the comment to show his designs.
Not necessarily. As I always say, I don't eat amala. Having said that, if I see amala that is well-prepared, regardless of how mine is prepared, I will say so.

People can always advice and comment on site reviews but its condescending and contemptous for someone to just label it poorly designed if the person hasnt got an impressive array himself.
As judged by who? You (with bias) or an independent panel of reviewers (without bias, hopefully)?

I would have swallowed my spittle if I had looked at his designs to see really great designs.
Apparently, this whole "poorly structured code/design" issue is what lead to this. Oga, abeg, e jo, biko, swallow your spittle please. Sorry for criticizing your designs. Sorry for making your spittle flow so much that it has probably filled up your ice water tumbler. Now, do you feel better?

I will step back from the design part, but sorry, not the code part. I say this cos though I am no expert on design, I am an expert on code. Your sites do not conform to web standards, with respect to semantic mark up.
Re: Site Review by Egavlas(m): 7:40pm On Nov 07, 2007
@my2cents

Its becoming childish. Good. I take all you say. Also, please you are definitely not an expert on designs. Your sites show so.

As for all the web standards and semantic and all, pls go to http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/ , and check the site http://topcommng.com for css validation .

Also go to http://validator.w3.org/ to check the http://topcommng.com for XHTML validation .

Those sites are the official validating sites.
Re: Site Review by my2cents(m): 7:59pm On Nov 07, 2007
Salvage,

Childish according to who? I am actually enjoying this debate, if you want to call it that. I am learning. Hopefully you are as well.

Back to the brass tacs:
When I say semantic markup, I don't mean validation. Validation means you conform to the DTD you have defined on your page. Semantic means you use tags appropriately.

Web Standards comprise the following: Making sure your pages validate, making sure you use semantic markup and separating content from presentation via CSS.

So for example, referring to topcomm:

On your home page, under "our portfolio", you have as one of the underlined text, "Launch of inaugural SAA flight (Lagos – Johannesburg) – Media Relations". You have this surrounded by "p" tags. That content would be better served as "li" tags or unordered lists. Why? because you are providing a list of their portfolio. You should reserve "p" tags for actual paragraphs.

Also, those graphical headers you have (our portfolio, etc) would be better served as text with "h1" tags. That way, search engines would know that those were headers and index them as such. Of course, using CSS, you could style those accordingly to look exactly the way they look now. If not, take a look at sIFR fonts. They are rendered via javascript as flash objects but are still text, for accessibility/usability purposes.

I know, when visitors go to the site, they could care less right? Sure, but again, that is not an excuse for you to lay out your code the way you have it now.

Finally, again, I never said I was a design expert. And, I apologized for the misunderstanding, for which you are yet to acknowledge. No need rubbing it in. I got it the first time wink

(1) (Reply)

Спам бот, где ты? / Please Help Joomla Newbies! / Blog Comment Exchange "(let's Do This)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.