Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,775 members, 7,817,188 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:02 AM

Why Do Most Nigerians Abroad Remain Tenants When They Are Back Home? - Properties (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Why Do Most Nigerians Abroad Remain Tenants When They Are Back Home? (18150 Views)

Fashola To Seize Property If Tenants Commits Crime. / 3 Bedroom Flat Of 4 Blocks (completed With Tenants) At Sunshine Estate, Ikorodu. R & S. Approv. / Stubborn Tenants Refuse To Leave And Don't Pay Rent! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Abroad Remain Tenants When They Are Back Home? by Empiree: 8:01pm On Aug 24, 2015
This whole thing about family member(s) screwing up their loved ones struggling abroad is very real and stupid as well. At first I struggled to believe such thing exist until it happens to my close friend in recent weeks. So sad...man so sad.

Why would some people feel so comforblae to mismanage people's funds sent and entrusted to them to build a house is beyond me. Such behaviour could run person mad. smh
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Abroad Remain Tenants When They Are Back Home? by erico2k2(m): 8:20pm On Aug 24, 2015
blacklion:
Because Nigeria does not have mortgage system which those who were based abroad are used to.

Many (if not most) diasporans live paycheck to paycheck. Don't be fooled by the naija credit card scammers who come home to flash stolen money.
I don't think ur last statement was fare,not everyone live paycheck to paycheck and people who come back to build houses aint credit card thieves, there are loads of them on here, angry angry angry
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Abroad Remain Tenants When They Are Back Home? by erico2k2(m): 8:21pm On Aug 24, 2015
Empiree:
This whole thing about family member(s) screwing up their loved ones struggling abroad is very real and stupid as well. At first I struggled to believe such thing exist until it happens to my close friend in recent weeks. So sad...man so sad.

Why would some people feel so comforblae to mismanage people's funds sent and entrusted to them to build a house is beyond me. Such behaviour could run person mad. smh
It will happen to you o nly if you have no documentation or else how can one explain a reason why they cant be bothered to go back 9ja for at least a year
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Abroad Remain Tenants When They Are Back Home? by erico2k2(m): 8:29pm On Aug 24, 2015
flexya:
Its near impossible 2 build a House in Nijja for someone livin overseas if all he depends on for income is a regular job, no matter how well paid the job is. 2 build in nijja, he would either av got his hands dirty or set up a biznes abroad (or even in Nijja for extra income). I av my reasons for this and havin spent 19yrs in the UK, I consider myself 2 be well placed 2 comment. Firstly, while abroad, u need 2 content urself wit ur mortgage (and other bills- car loan, tv licence, council tax, gas, electricity, phone, travelcard, feedin, clothin, home insurance, vehicle taxes, speed ticket, parkin permit, credit card bills etc). The higher ur income, the bigger/better house u live in. Bigger or better located houses means higher mortgate. Consequently, ur disposable income remains about the same. It is from this "disposable income" that u r expected 2 build a house whilst also sendin money 2 loved ones. When I left the UK, I was on £40k per year, sometig of a very good salary. Such that I fell into the 40% tax band. Yet, livin a very modest live (wit a wife and 3 children), I struggled 2 save £300 per month (out of ove £2k). So it would take me a whole year 2 afford 2 buy a N1M plot of land in my home town Ibadan. How long would i need 2 save for 2 build a House for N10M? For my £300 per month savings, I could easily buy another property on mortgate outside London (in an area like derby). Would rent it out and still make some change. Afterall, "am not comin back 2 nijja yet". The reality is, house ownership is still very expensive in nijja, which is why most ppl wit regular jobs, either in nigeria or abroad, can't afford. So pray ur biznes booms or get dodgy!
I do not agree with you,What you just narrated has to do with somebody who is ready to live all of their life abroad,how about those that do not want to have a mortgage?those who decide to live in shared accommodation and have a time table and an exit plan??
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Abroad Remain Tenants When They Are Back Home? by erico2k2(m): 8:31pm On Aug 24, 2015
tonididdy:
thats your opinion...the reverse is the case in edo state...even a 20year old edo boy in london already has a a land and foundation already,some already have completed houses....so i dont know what u talking bout.dont be confused tho,sometimes they prefer to stay in hotels than the houses they built maybe for security purposes
Thank you very much 3 gbosa 4 U.Abroad there are two groups of people, those who make things happen and those who watch things happen.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Abroad Remain Tenants When They Are Back Home? by Empiree: 8:34pm On Aug 24, 2015
erico2k2:

It will happen to you o nly if you have no documentation or else how can one explain a reason why they cant be bothered to go back 9ja for at least a year
I think you should consider different circumstances individual may be going through. Some may not have pali but somehow make money but they cant leave yet. Anyone in this situation should not even disclose his immigration status. Some are indeed legal even they are citizens but they are on very tight situation that one can't even explain. Because of that it's not easy to just go home. Overall, i agree visiting is very important.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Abroad Remain Tenants When They Are Back Home? by kopell: 9:36pm On Aug 24, 2015
Sorry to say, making £40k a year in UK after that many year. That about $80k in U.S in my opinion is not a lot of money. Compeer to young college graduate that start with the say amount here in US. For example MTA bus driver in NYC makes $70k just after 3 years in service, electrician makes average of $80k from day one on the job, register nurse makes average $67k a year. I can go on and on, I may agree with you with every day expense, and on expected once listed in your write up. For the other brother that think most people abroad live from pay check to pay check, sorry many, many Nigerians are in good position here in U.S from cleaners to director of banks head of hospital, insurance company investment bankers very very good lawyers even judges. If you don't know about them please do your research on them. Many of them may choose not to build house in Naija just because of the way things are done out there, this does not mean the can't afford one.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Abroad Remain Tenants When They Are Back Home? by erico2k2(m): 9:50pm On Aug 24, 2015
Empiree:
I think you should consider different circumstances individual may be going through. Some may not have pali but somehow make money but they cant leave yet. Anyone in this situation should not even disclose his immigration status. Some are indeed legal even they are citizens but they are on very tight situation that one can't even explain. Because of that it's not easy to just go home. Overall, i agree visiting is very important.
My guy we are on same page hence I said its does without docu, at the end of the day nobody carry kpali come abroad nah here all man hustle the book,I feel you but anywhich way,ogoro must Jump, if you nor jump OYO. cos as I see am, wen dem say clap for JESUS na only those with two hands fit clap abi
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Abroad Remain Tenants When They Are Back Home? by erico2k2(m): 9:52pm On Aug 24, 2015
kopell:
Sorry to say, making £40k a year in UK after that many year. That about $80k in U.S in my opinion is not a lot of money. Compeer to young college graduate that start with the say amount here in US. For example MTA bus driver in NYC makes $70k just after 3 years in service, electrician makes average of $80k from day one on the job, register nurse makes average $67k a year. I can go on and on, I may agree with you with every day expense, and on expected once listed in your write up. For the other brother that think most people abroad live from pay check to pay check, sorry many, many Nigerians are in good position here in U.S from cleaners to director of banks head of hospital, insurance company investment bankers very very good lawyers even judges. If you don't know about them please do your research on them. Many of them may choose not to build house in Naija just because of the way things are done out there, this does not mean the can't afford one.

Tell them bro you kno, wen you have hamer in ur hands everything na nail.But registered nurses earn more than $67k a year in the UK.These days bricklayers earn up to £1000 a week shocked shocked shocked
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Abroad Remain Tenants When They Are Back Home? by kopell: 10:59pm On Aug 24, 2015
Bros this just an average income of register nurses here, some specialized nurses makes up to $100k with extra hours which many of them do. The can make $120k easily, but with those long hours at job. They also loss their husband Ooo. That why we have many female nurses looking for husband in NYC. There are many blue collar jobs that makes over $70k a year here if one knows how to find them.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Abroad Remain Tenants When They Are Back Home? by erico2k2(m): 11:29pm On Aug 24, 2015
kopell:
Bros this just an average income of register nurses here, some specialized nurses makes up to $100k with extra hours which many of them do. The can make $120k easily, but with those long hours at job. They also loss their husband Ooo. That why we have many female nurses looking for husband in NYC. There are many blue collar jobs that makes over $70k a year here if one knows how to find them.
ahah true talk, abroad something must give, there is always a sacrifice to be made.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Abroad Remain Tenants When They Are Back Home? by Empiree: 11:31pm On Aug 24, 2015
erico2k2:

My guy we are on same page hence I said its does without docu, at the end of the day nobody carry kpali come abroad nah here all man hustle the book,I feel you but anywhich way,ogoro must Jump, if you nor jump OYO. cos as I see am, wen dem say clap for JESUS na only those with two hands fit clap abi
lol
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Abroad Remain Tenants When They Are Back Home? by Empiree: 3:01am On Aug 25, 2015
kopell:
Bros this just an average income of register nurses here, some specialized nurses makes up to $100k with extra hours which many of them do. The can make $120k easily, but with those long hours at job. [size=15pt]They also loss their husband Ooo. That why we have many female nurses looking for husband in NYC.[/size] There are many blue collar jobs that makes over $70k a year here if one knows how to find them.
grin grin grin You got me laughing @bolded. Joke aside, very true.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Abroad Remain Tenants When They Are Back Home? by Infotips: 3:58pm On Apr 24, 2017
In case you are interested in acquiring properties from the Eastern part of the country, do not hesitate to contact UGOCHUKWU on any of the phone lines: +2348068505775 or +2348187732856.

OR

Visit Our Office Address @

JULACS ASSOCIATES:
No. 8 Maduka Street Arroma
Junction, Awka, Anambra State.
Tel: +2348068505775, 8187732856.

JULACS! Delivering what delivers...

https://www.nairaland.com/3749896/16-sought-after-properties-grab
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Abroad Remain Tenants When They Are Back Home? by propertyhunter1: 12:08pm On May 26, 2022
Sagewood:
Good points excelproperties.
Post pictures of land and properties you have for those that need them.
Another man's meat is another man's poison.
I live in the USA, but you can't afford to lay all your plans in one place.
Diversify your portfolio people, home and abroad.

Hm

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

House Foundation Cost Quotation / Plots Of Land For Sale @ Platinum Park Estate (magboro) Nigeria (With Pictures) / Landlords Or Agents Duping Prospective Tenants: How To Avoid Being Scammed Too

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.