Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,291 members, 7,811,869 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:46 PM

Whats The Need Of Paying Dowry - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Whats The Need Of Paying Dowry (902 Views)

Court Dissolves 30-day-old Marriage, Asks Woman To Refund Dowry / Bride Price And Dowry; the Difference And Similarity. Which do you practice? / Guys, What Do You Consider To Be A Fair Dowry? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Whats The Need Of Paying Dowry by zilon12(m): 5:14pm On Apr 20, 2012
I mean why do men still pay dowry since females have gained equality and some even go to the extend of not bearing their husbands names
Re: Whats The Need Of Paying Dowry by Nobody: 7:02pm On Apr 20, 2012
zilon12: I mean why do men still pay dowry since females have gained equality and some even go to the extend of not bearing their husbands names

Forget about gaining equality, the whole dowry stuff is just insane. Why do I need to pay her parent for? I still don't get it. Not about the money rather bout buying a wife?

2 Likes

Re: Whats The Need Of Paying Dowry by valenlabella(f): 7:24pm On Apr 20, 2012
I think its just a cultural thing that has yet to be done away with yet. And in some cultures it's symbolic for example yoruba people give the husband back the money during the trad wedding (I think)....
Re: Whats The Need Of Paying Dowry by bernfame(f): 4:43am On Apr 21, 2012
zilon12: I mean why do men still pay dowry since females have gained equality and some even go to the extend of not bearing their husbands
names

I think that question should be directed to your village elders.
Re: Whats The Need Of Paying Dowry by Ninilowo(m): 5:00pm On Apr 21, 2012
valen la bella: I think its just a cultural thing that has yet to be done away with yet. And in some cultures it's symbolic for example yoruba people give the husband back the money during the trad wedding (I think)....
Yes! Mine was returned too. I was just told to take goo care of her and that their daughter was not FOR SALE. But other stufss were taken anyway.
Re: Whats The Need Of Paying Dowry by Nobody: 5:36pm On Apr 23, 2012
bernfame:

I think that question should be directed to your village elders.

well said
Re: Whats The Need Of Paying Dowry by Omofranca(f): 12:12pm On Apr 24, 2012
It's a cultural practice (equality aside), that's still strong. Even if it's immediately returned, it still has to be given as a symbol. Only Africans who are completely cut off from their roots don't do it.Parents even give it on behalf of children born and bred abroad to keep them connected to the family back home that they are marrying into.
Re: Whats The Need Of Paying Dowry by Gambrosia: 8:00pm On Jan 08, 2013
Our tradition nor dey accept dowry!
Only a list of 'goods' as non-refundable tokens!
So women are freeeeeeeeeeee! cool

(1) (Reply)

A Super Private Lesson Teacher / Respect For Single Mothers! / Chastity Scenario; Likely Outcomes?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.