Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,103 members, 7,849,437 topics. Date: Monday, 03 June 2024 at 09:38 PM

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (11610) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 (10684152 Views)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Pride Of London / Offical Bayern Munich Fan Thread: 6x Champions Of Europe / Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11607) (11608) (11609) (11610) (11611) (11612) (11613) ... (19347) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by BlueMann: 1:08pm On Jun 11, 2021
Havertz10:
have you added them yourself?

Of course I've added them na, I've been saying it since.

Okay, let's break down Havertz's assists:

According to the UCL's official website, he had three assists. I'm guessing they came against Sevilla, Real Madrid (surprised they counted that one) and one other team...maybe in the 4-0 against Krasnodar.

Had one against Morecambe in the FA Cup.

Three in the PL: CHO against Man City, CHO against West Brom and Pulisic against Palace.

That's seven. Plus nine goals is 16 G/A. The other two they're adding were penalties won against Palace and Everton.

It's the same for Werner. Officially, Timo didn't have 27 G/A. Some of the assists were penalties won as well.

Hope you get now?
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by BlueMann: 1:10pm On Jun 11, 2021
aLlLLLLllL cOmPeTiTiOnS

Iffa call thunder for u eh

1 Like

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by popizaino(m): 1:12pm On Jun 11, 2021
Havertz10:
I agree that Chelsea got weaker but I wouldn't agree that Chelsea team in the 2000s exerted dominance that's the crux of the entire argument

They won the league twice in 10 years, in a league that was relatively weak

They got to only 1 final, and back then the main competitors in the champions league mostly appeared in the semi final, I can't find a single metric that shows their dominance asides the names of the players and the hype that people built around them

The emboldened is alot clearer now . What I did not want to agree with you was that this our current team stood a chance against that team or was in anyway better because we won the UCL now .That would be disingenuous from you.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Havertz10: 1:13pm On Jun 11, 2021
BlueMann:

Of course I've added them na, I've been saying it since.

Okay, let's break down Havertz's assists:

According to the UCL's official website, he had three assists. I'm guessing they came against Sevilla, Real Madrid (surprised they counted that one) and one other team...maybe in the 4-0 against Krasnodar.

Had one against Morecambe in the FA Cup.

Three in the PL: CHO against Man City, CHO against West Brom and Pulisic against Palace.

That's seven. Plus nine goals is 16 G/A. The other two they're adding were penalties won against Palace and Everton.

It's the same for Werner. Officially, Timo didn't have 27 G/A. Some of the assists were penalties won as well.

Hope you get now?
yeah, did mount win any penalty, cause I added his and I also arrived at 16G/A
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by popizaino(m): 1:15pm On Jun 11, 2021
Havertz10:
exactly, look at the big picture, league back then was poor, same argument comes up when lebron James is compared to Micheal Jordan, although they are individual players but you have to consider externalities

Sports evolve, its supposed comparatively get better not worst, the present will always be better than the past

I agree but it's not in all cases .
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Havertz10: 1:15pm On Jun 11, 2021
BlueMann:
aLlLLLLllL cOmPeTiTiOnS

Iffa call thunder for u eh

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by BlueMann: 1:19pm On Jun 11, 2021
Havertz10:
yeah, did mount win any penalty, cause I added his and I also arrived at 16G/A

Mount won two penalties: one was missed by Jorginho against Arsenal, and he scored the other himself against Southampton so those don't count as assists.

He had 18 G/A

6 goals, 5 assists in the PL
2 goals, 2 assists in the UCL
One goal in the FA Cup (Morecambe)
One assist in the Carabao (Barnsley)

That's 9 goals and 8 assist. One assist dey miss...make I go find am
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Sniper04(m): 1:25pm On Jun 11, 2021
What if tuchel changes James position next season make everyone chill,e fit play 6 too
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by lusid: 1:31pm On Jun 11, 2021
monerozi5590:

Airmark, what are you saying?... I watched all those guys in Madrid. Beckham and Owen didn't even see quarter final in the UCL with Real Madrid. From2005 to 2010 we didn't cross the round of 16.post 2010 was stronger.

From 2011 to 2021 we made 9 semi finals appearances in the UCL and won 4
From 2000 to 2010, we made 3 semi finals and won 2.
pre 2010 real was stronger but complacent. Post 2010 real was also strong however ordinary without the contributions of ronaldo

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Greatihex(m): 1:32pm On Jun 11, 2021
Havertz10:
Some old men wouldn't evolve

Celebrating mediocrity of the past

Dating back to the 1950s

2000s was one the least competitive era of premier league football

Top 4 strandings remained relatively unchanged and the gap between the top teams and the rest was vast

We are looking at real data, that one keeps talking about what he watched
My friend stop talking nonsense. Anything you did not witness in football you should not talk about it.

Many things in football contribute to teams not winning trophies. Great teams have passed and failed to win trophies as expected of them.
Little mistake in football and you lose the trophy or chance to advance in a competition.
Coach is another thing.
Imagine a great squad like that of Manchester City getting whooped every now and then by underdogs. Imagine getting flogged by fucking Lyon and Tottenham bottling company. Chelsea and Manchester United, and Liverpool underperformance is the reason Manchester City won last season league.

If epl teams are actually putting up any kind of challenge, how can man City and Liverpool be amassing the kind of ridiculous points they are amassing these days? 96, 97,98 100. Just imagine. Which Okoko does not know that Man it'd, Arsenal and Chelsea are now shadows of themselves.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by popizaino(m): 1:33pm On Jun 11, 2021
Ibime:

The more money does not necessarily translate into better players in comparison, all it means is players charge more for salary and other leagues charge more for transfer fees. Europa League performance is still a decent arbiter for the strength of the midtable.

Top players still go to top clubs and mid-level players still go to mid-level clubs. All those Tyrone Ming's, Matt Target and Matty Cash that Aston Villa paid £16-£30m from Championship are no different calibre to Joleon Lescott and Phil Jagielka that Everton paid £4m for in the 2000s. What of Sylvain Distin and Yobo for £4m? Distin and Lescott as LCB are better than Mings who cost £25m.

Aston Villa are now paying £35m apiece for the Championship best players in Ollie Watkins and Buendia while Spurs picked up Championship best players in Carrick and Defoe for £3m and £7m respectively. The best attacking midfielder in the Championship Tim Cahill will move to Everton for £3m then, today Buendia is costing £33m.

The £20m Villa paid for Traore who was not a sure starter in Lyon is no different than West Ham paying £3m for Freddie Kanoute or Fulham buying Louis Saha.

Spurs back then can pick up a UCL runner up and Bundesliga top striker like Berbatov for £11m, today it will cost £50m, or a Luka Modric for £16m that will cost £40m today. Where they pay £5m for Championships most promising left-back in Gareth Bale then, they are now paying £20m for Sessegnon who is not as good.

Croatia league top scorer and bonafide hitman like Viduka can come to Leeds for £4m, likewise a solid French DM like Olivier Dacourt for £7m who is better than most French DMs moving for £40m today.

Players like Ashley Young and James Milner who Villa would pick for £7m will be charged at £30m today.

Even back then, top legends like Fernando Hierro, Djorkaeff, Okocha and Ivan Campo come to Bolton to play their last three years, nowadays EPL can't afford their salary so they go to China, Qatar, USA.

In other words, the TV money has made no difference to the quality of the midtable. Top players still go to top clubs and midtable pay over the odds for what's left.

There is a difference between experiencing these things and revising them on Wikipedia.

I know for sure you can't be hitting 99 points regularly in EPL back then, much less both Liverpool and City taking 97 and 98 points in the same season. That just means the rest of the league is weaker[b], or too many teams are trying to be a poor mans Barcelona.[/b] Back then, teams like Bolton, Villa, Everton and co will scalp points off those teams with dogged performances, these days even relegation candidates are trying to play like Barcelona and taking 5-0 hammerings.

grin grin grin grin grin grin

Your last paragraph summarises it all but you see that bolded,you took it from my mind grin

Back then you could never know how each of these small teams play.The likes of Blackburn rovers,Bolton, Aston villa,Middlesbrough,Newcastle can take off point from the so called big team even without trying. Some of this players can play long short and it will be enough to seal up the game cheesy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Greatihex(m): 1:36pm On Jun 11, 2021
donstan18:

I actually agree with him that Chelsea had better players then, but I think the league became tougher lately.
which tougher. Man City and Liverpool running away with league while others watch on. 25 points gap at some point.

1 Like

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Greatihex(m): 1:39pm On Jun 11, 2021
Havertz10:
Manchester city and psg have made it to the semi final repeatedly over the last few seasons, I don't understand what you are talking about, winning the champions league takes more than money, even with all the talent, you still need luck
Are you in an alternative world?
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by dyabman(m): 1:41pm On Jun 11, 2021
donstan18:

What of that Everton guy, nobody wan reason am?

DCL ?

His consistency is in doubt , he can improve anyway with time. Chelsea no too get that patience.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by popizaino(m): 1:41pm On Jun 11, 2021
Havertz10:
Manchester city and psg have made it to the semi final repeatedly over the last few seasons, I don't understand what you are talking about, winning the champions league takes more than money, even with all the talent, you still need luck

If my memory serves me right the last time they made UCL semi finals before this season was Pellegrini's last season when madrid knocked them out,so what is the repeatedly there ?

1 Like

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Havertz10: 1:43pm On Jun 11, 2021
Greatihex:
My friend stop talking nonsense. Anything you did not witness in football you should not talk about it.

Many things in football contribute to teams not winning trophies. Great teams have passed and failed to win trophies as expected of them.
Little mistake in football and you lose the trophy or chance to advance in a competition.
Coach is another thing.
Imagine a great squad like that of Manchester City getting whooped every now and then by underdogs. Imagine getting flogged by fucking Lyon and Tottenham bottling company. Chelsea and Manchester United, and Liverpool underperformance is the reason Manchester City won last season league.

If epl teams are actually putting up any kind of challenge, how can man City and Liverpool be amassing the kind of ridiculous points they are amassing these days? 96, 97,98 100. Just imagine. Which Okoko does not know that Man it'd, Arsenal and Chelsea are now shadows of themselves.
you will just pick one angle and run with that

i'm talking about how difficult it is to qualify for the champions league

it's a challenge for most top teams compared to back then that only a few teams got it regularly

City and liverpool had to amass those crazy numbers cause that's the requirement and level of performance required to win the league these days

4 Likes

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Unlimited22: 1:44pm On Jun 11, 2021
Sniper04:
What if tuchel changes James position next season make everyone chill,e fit play 6 too
This is exactly what I'm thinking. Especially with the emergence of Valentino Livramento.

In his final loan season at Wigan he played in midfield half the time. He might want to convert the guy to a DM along with filling in at RCB, RB and RWB where necessary. If he does that and gets a top 9 and Hakimi whilst clearing out the Deadwood we might be set.

I still want a CF, DM and possibly CB though before Hakimi. I still think Marc Guehi, Ian Maatsen, Malang Sarr, Xavier Mbuyamba, Juan Castillo and Even Billy Gilmour and Ethan Ampadu are not ready to be thrown into the deep end just yet.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Havertz10: 1:50pm On Jun 11, 2021
popizaino:

If my memory serves me right the last time they made UCL semi finals before this season was Pellegrini's last season when madrid knocked them out,so what is the repeatedly there ?
both city and psg have had good runs in the competition over the last 5 seasons compared to most teams

But I was referring to psg in particular, corrected it

1 Like

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by monerozi5590: 1:51pm On Jun 11, 2021
lusid:
pre 2010 real was stronger but complacent. Post 2010 real was also strong however ordinary without the contributions of ronaldo

Alonso, Modric, Kroos, Bale, Benzema, Casemiro, Marcelo, Carvajal, Ramos, Pepe, Varane and CR7..All those guys made us thick and formidable.

Complacent!.... they were not just good enough..
Those days, Lyon d beat us like small pikin.

1 Like

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by BlueAngel444: 2:12pm On Jun 11, 2021
Unlimited22:

This is exactly what I'm thinking. Especially with the emergence of Valentino Livramento.

In his final loan season at Wigan he played in midfield half the time. He might want to convert the guy to a DM along with filling in at RCB, RB and RWB where necessary. If he does that and gets a top 9 and Hakimi whilst clearing out the Deadwood we might be set.

I still want a CF, DM and possibly CB though before Hakimi. I still think Marc Guehi, Ian Maatsen, Malang Sarr, Xavier Mbuyamba, Juan Castillo and Even Billy Gilmour and Ethan Ampadu are not ready to be thrown into the deep end just yet.
how we dey forget say Malang Sarr na Chelsea player

If Chelsea sign Hakimi and James can also play DM, along with Christensen, Ampadu, Gilmour, and there is Gallanger.

If we cannot get Haaland or great striker make them no sign any striker, keep Abraham.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Greatihex(m): 2:20pm On Jun 11, 2021
Havertz10:

it's a challenge for most top teams compared to back then that only a few teams got it regularly

City and liverpool had to amass those crazy numbers cause that's the requirement and level of performance required to win the league these days
while they were amassing it, how many points were others getting?

The main reason Chelsea and the rest are struggling to make top 4 is simply because they are no longer strong and consistent as they used to be.

1 Like

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by donstan18: 2:21pm On Jun 11, 2021
Greatihex:
which tougher. Man City and Liverpool running away with league while others watch on. 25 points gap at some point.
Winning the league isn’t the only goal set to be achieved by Epl teams per season.

Top 4
Top 6
Top 10
Avoiding relegation.

These things were easy back then, it was easily executed by a particular set of teams.

Them no born anybody well now to predict it now.

Then, if you have a game at hand against smaller teams to achieve something as a big team, you’ll win it comfortably, now you can’t, team wey no dey hustle for anything can stop you as a big team from achieving something.

Crystal palace did it to Liverpool.
Aston Villa did it to Chelsea.
Wigan did it to ManCity.

And which League are ManCity and Liverpool running away with? 4 different teams have won Epl for the past 5 seasons. So what’s your point??
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by airmark(m): 2:27pm On Jun 11, 2021
monerozi5590:

Airmark, what are you saying?... I watched all those guys in Madrid. Beckham and Owen didn't even see quarter final in the UCL with Real Madrid. From2005 to 2010 we didn't cross the round of 16.post 2010 was stronger.

From 2011 to 2021 we made 9 semi finals appearances in the UCL and won 4
From 2000 to 2010, we made 3 semi finals and won 2.

You are talking about success and i am talking about comparing two teams of different eras. You can have a great team and be unlucky to win laurels, such was the case of Chelsea Pre-2012.

Do you want me to start analysing how you robbed teams post 2010?

I have no strength to start comparing player for player. Since you watched i will leave you to your belief.

Only 3 or at most 4 players among the Real Madrid players that won back to back to back will break into first 11 of the Madrid team that won UCL in 2002.

1 Like

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by BlueAngel444: 2:31pm On Jun 11, 2021
God has you answer my prayer last season and favoured us in the champions league, help us this transfer window to sign players that will not flop and please in addition remove the pests on this thread as you silent the mouth of scums and devils, remove them, or give them and extra usable sense.

Amen
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by airmark(m): 2:35pm On Jun 11, 2021
lusid:

Only Ronaldo, Ramos and maybe Modric/Bale may break into that first 11 in 2002.

Referees' poor decisions played a big role in their back to back to back achievement, but that's for another day. While we also saw what they turned to in UCL, after the departure of just one player, Ronaldo.

1 Like

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Emmynator(m): 2:35pm On Jun 11, 2021
Havertz10:
imagine

More money means premier league teams can take good players from other leagues because they can pay more

It means better players

You are not very bright honestly
It seems you are not the bright one.
You should know that inflation has affected player's price so much now that average players are going for 40m and above compare to previous years where they are gotten for as cheap as 7-10 million.
More money is not equals to better players especially since inflation hit the market.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by donstan18: 2:40pm On Jun 11, 2021
From 1995 to 2011, only 3 teams were winning EPl.
Just 3 teams winning a league for 16 years, do you know what that means? How can you even say Epl was competitive then? How??

From 2005 to 2011, only ManU and Chelsea were winning it. 2 teams dominating and winning a league for 6 years, yet una dey claim it was tougher then.

Smh!!

1 Like

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Emmynator(m): 2:40pm On Jun 11, 2021
Havertz10:
add their national team stats, that's why I said all competitions
FOR CHELSEA IN ALL COMPETITIONS.
FOR CHELSEA.
FOR CHELSEA.
Then you add national team stats to inflate havertz stats. SMH.

1 Like

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by FBS: 2:43pm On Jun 11, 2021
lalaboi:

na me o. Balogun of Russia! I greet you. .

and yes, champions of Europe . . .all join!
I salute you boss. Trust you're doing good.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Greatihex(m): 2:43pm On Jun 11, 2021
Havertz10:
both city and psg have had good runs in the competition over the last 5 seasons compared to most teams

But I was referring to psg in particular, corrected it
You are still wrong
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Emmynator(m): 2:48pm On Jun 11, 2021
Havertz10:

It's a challenge for top teams like Chelsea cause they got mediocre.
LOL, city and Liverpool amassed those points because it was easy to do so, two teams getting 90+ points for seasons doesn't show competition, it shows that those two teams are class above the rest. Meaning other teams that could really challenge and even the playing field dropped in quality, and that drop makes them closer to mid table teams in terms of quality hence the 20+ points gap in a season.

1 Like

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by pamcode(m): 2:56pm On Jun 11, 2021
Havertz10:
Some old men wouldn't evolve

Celebrating mediocrity of the past

Dating back to the 1950s

2000s was one the least competitive era of premier league football

Top 4 strandings remained relatively unchanged and the gap between the top teams and the rest was vast

We are looking at real data, that one keeps talking about what he watched
The fact that a league is competitive doesn't translate to quality. The 2010 era of EPL and Nigerian league are good examples of competitive league but quality was below par. I don't know what point you are trying to make but the top four teams then are better than the top four teams now.

(1) (2) (3) ... (11607) (11608) (11609) (11610) (11611) (11612) (11613) ... (19347) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: lordfalcao(m), chic2pimp(m), Roland17(m), fredoooooo, Jamiuokolaa and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.