Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,757 members, 7,817,092 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:55 AM

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (1942) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 (10509894 Views)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Pride Of London / Offical Bayern Munich Fan Thread: 6x Champions Of Europe / Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1939) (1940) (1941) (1942) (1943) (1944) (1945) ... (19149) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Nobody: 6:00pm On May 03, 2016
What is d hate in outlining the fact that Hazard has a meagre three league goals this season??

When ur fellow Chelsea fans flooded our thread ontop Martial and Depay's goal output this season, did u see it as dem hating??

Instead of all of u to admit that Hazard has been shît all season, u're looking for some1 that ll hate on 3 league goals in 1900+ mins.

Abegi! Come up with a better excuse jare....
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by raumdeuter: 6:15pm On May 03, 2016
Chelsea can now start pre season from next saturday

Or did they even end the last pre-season
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Emaprince: 7:29pm On May 03, 2016
AdeLaNa1:
What is d hate in outlining the fact that Hazard has a meagre three league goals this season??

When ur fellow Chelsea fans flooded our thread ontop Martial and Depay's goal output this season, did u see it as dem hating??

Instead of all of u to admit that Hazard has been shît all season, u're looking for some1 that ll hate on 3 league goals in 1900+ mins.

Abegi! Come up with a better excuse jare....
the full higlight is here. Watch the goal again and tell you are not happy to be alive when hazard came up with that magical strike.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQvvJMFgGOs
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Nobody: 9:56pm On May 03, 2016
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by dmcdad: 10:06pm On May 03, 2016
coded01:

Honestly na to dey look oh... grin

Leicester city remodeling EPL... grin grin
EPL na league cheesy
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by coded01: 10:10pm On May 03, 2016
dmcdad:

EPL na league cheesy

[size=28pt]Wicked!!! [/size] grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by pamcode(m): 10:35pm On May 03, 2016
Looks like the league title and Mou job isn't the only stuff Ranieri took.

1 Like

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by pamcode(m): 10:46pm On May 03, 2016
Raumdeuter =dream/space interpreter= Muller. No wonder dayo likes predicting the future of players.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by diggz: 8:18am On May 04, 2016
raumdeuter:

Costa Ivanovic, Matic, Cahill Terry all rubbish according to Chelsea fans Plus we know Hazard is useless and Mikel is always guilty whether he plays or not

So how many players remain

U go like swap Alonzo or Vidal for mikel ?
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by raumdeuter: 2:21pm On May 04, 2016
diggz:
U go like swap Alonzo or Vidal for mikel ?

Why would I want to swap anyone from a midtable club
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by diggz: 4:16pm On May 04, 2016
raumdeuter:

You no like swap yet,,u no go allow us use kain flog am when him dey mess up!
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Kolade354(m): 7:29pm On May 04, 2016
diggz:

You no like swap yet,,u no go allow us use kain flog am when him dey mess up!
lol, dayokanu na agbaya
Vidal is a beast, I dunno why we didn't go for him in the last transfer market.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by coded01: 8:43pm On May 04, 2016
raumdeuter:

Shots fired! grin grin grin
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by raumdeuter: 9:06pm On May 04, 2016
When I called Yaya Toure a CL liability dem say na hatred

1 Like

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Rocktastic(m): 9:52pm On May 04, 2016
raumdeuter:

As funny as it seems, you certainly made a good point grin
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by pamcode(m): 8:27am On May 05, 2016
raumdeuter:

The nigga probably didnt care. Talking about zero enthusiasm. He has achieved Anyway.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Nobody: 8:28am On May 05, 2016
pamcode:
The nigga probably didnt care. Talking about zero enthusiasm. He has achieved Anyway.
I think he's unhappy at City. His performance was kinda strange; he barely made any bursting runs from midfield.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by pamcode(m): 8:31am On May 05, 2016
CFCman:

I think he's unhappy at City. His performance was kinda strange; he barely made any bursting runs from midfield.
As in that midfield was non existent. Maybe he is already wishing for retirement
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Chestar5(f): 11:57am On May 05, 2016
Revenge toh sure..... #Go simeone.....
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by airmark(m): 12:02pm On May 05, 2016

4 Likes

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by raumdeuter: 2:50pm On May 05, 2016
pamcode:

CFCman:

Yaya has always been average in the CL for the past 5yrs in City and I have been saying that for 3-4yrs on this forum people thought I was hating on him

I repeated he only does well in the EPL where its more power less sense
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Nihilist: 4:06pm On May 05, 2016
Ranieri has suggested that it will be another 20 years before the type of success achieved by Leicester will be repeated. I disagree and i feel he doesn’t appreciate the precedent he has set in modern football and football theory.

The true success of Ranieri’s football is in his approach to play. A player is barely ever actually ‘on’ the ball. They play a compact, tight and counter-attacking style of football with an emphasis on work ethic, positioning, discipline and spatial awareness. Simeone has been reaping the benefits of this style for years. The technical ability of a player to work the ball is of as little importance as possible. This makes sense if a player is perhaps on the ball a maximum of a single minute per game. We are so preoccupied with what a player can do with the ball we forget that there are 21 other player’s on the pitch – all doing stuff.

Of course technical ability is widely considered the true gauge of proper football. Oh they won? but they did it the wrong way! We have completely lost the ability to appreciate the game in a wider context. All we want to see is ‘techers’ and moments of incredible individual skill. We should seek to dominate possession and create moments of brilliance because it is aesthetically pleasing. Thus the new way of football is born, and to an extent most teams seek to emulate this. Look at the plaudits Stoke receive, simply because they seek to possess and pass more. The problem, of course, is that players with technical ability have their values massively inflated so that only the Sheik can afford to buy them, or only the greatest academies have the reputation to attract them as youths. This is Arsene’s greatest folly, as he has none of the resources, the academy or the team ethos to create a holistic Barca-esque technical team. He’s just not quite there – and never will be.

If we simply broaden our appreciation of football to include the more nuanced art of defending, positioning, anticipation etc. we unlock a whole new world of completely affordable success. It is far easier to cultivate a hard working, disciplined team than to assemble the greatest individual technicians alive.

Many will argue that Leicester’s success is as much circumstance as anything. Look at how poor the ‘big’ clubs have been. A once in a lifetime confluence of form from an entire team of players. I point to Simeone and Atletico. Now into the Champions League final with one Fernando Torres in their front-line. Before them Mourinho has championed it with Porto and Inter. If this style of football gains a greater appreciation and acceptance we could see a leveling of the field we havn’t seen in decades. Will we begin to see teams playing teams again, rather than Ronaldo v Zlatan, or Aguero v Rooney.

Any alternate opinions?

Raumdeuter A40 sinizia Dmcdad dahdemola gbr1 eruditor oya food don done....

1 Like

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by A40(m): 4:34pm On May 05, 2016
Nihilist:

Any alternate opinions?

Its a brilliant article. I watch Basketball and a lot of other sports so I know and have seen teams with less talent or teams perceived to be that way beat an All-star team

Even under Jupp Heynckes we didn't have the best team in Europe before we won the treble

1 Like

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by raumdeuter: 4:54pm On May 05, 2016
Nihilist:
Any alternate opinions?

Raumdeter A40 sinizia Dmcdad dahdemola gbr1 eruditor oya food don done....

I disagree.

There is a reason why attacking football wins more often than not. The basis of attacking football is in statistics. If I have the ball more than you do, I should be able to take more shots, when I take more shots Laws of averages I would score more

If you see the teams that win leagues, CL, and World cups they are at least over 70% the attacking teams because they stay in possession more and take more shots.

Regarding Atletico vs Bayern. You would realize it was Bayern taking more of the shots. On another day, a shot would be deflected in Muller would score his penalty, Oblak would make a mistake and it would have been business as usual: An attacking team wins

Atletico has played barcelona are the perfect examples of both extremes of the game at the high level, they have played multiple times in recent years. Do you notice that in the last 10 meets barcelona have beaten them about 7 times and lost maybe twice(Not sure people can check) The only reason we are talking about the Atletico wins were because it was fortunately in the CL and not in the league games

Inter milan vs Barcelona in 2010 were also 2 of those extreme philosophies in that year do you realized that they played each other 4 times bacelona won 2 games drew 1 and lost 1

What I am saying is if an extremely attacking side(proactive) and an extremely defensive(reactive) sides play. Both play 10 times the attacking side would win more games

So if you are going to be an apostle of the reactive side, then you have to be content with the 30% times you win vs the 70% times you lose

is that really success?

There is usually a slightly more middle point. I prefer you to attack and know when to play defensive, I believe that is the ultimate tactics. and the one which would be fool-proof vs all

But if we are talking about both extremes. Give me the attacking anyday because even statistically it wins more than it losses

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by raumdeuter: 5:09pm On May 05, 2016
Nihilist Back to Leicester.

Assuming Leicester win both games remaining, they would finish with 83 points, In the last 5 seasons 83 points would never have won the league

In the last 15 yrs Leicester or a team would only have won the league once with 83 points!!!.

So statistically Ranieri is right, you might have to wait for another 20yrs to get a year the normal attacking powers flop in unison and a relegation battling team against all odds wins their games, their key players dont get injured and previously written off players all have their best career years all at once

As a betting person, I dont like that odds

1 Like

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Nihilist: 6:20pm On May 05, 2016
I think what the article is trying to challenge is the widely accepted notion that attacking football = possesion football.

I think attacking football should be a function of effectiveness.

Now check this.

Leicester were ranked 18th for ball possession in the league this season but they rank third for goals scored. They've also averaged the joint third highest number of shots from inside the 6 yard box box this season.

Compare to Manyoo - 2nd highest rank for ball possesion, but 11th for goals scored, 15th for shots per game, and 16th for shots in the 6 yard box.

Arsenal are ranked highest for possesion, 4th for shots per game, and highest again for shots in the box 18...they still have 5 fewer goals than Leicester....

These 3 examples are of:

1. An extremely efficient attacking unit.
2. A possesion hungry but toothless team
3. An attacking, possesion hungry but still inefficient team.

So I have to agree with the writer when he suggests that possession is really irrelevant to football success.

1 Like

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Eruditor: 6:59pm On May 05, 2016
Nihilist:

Any alternate opinions?

It's a brilliant article but I slightly disagree with the writer.

In as much the "techers" are needed for the efficient possession-style football, the same argument can be made for the also somewhat efficient compact, defensive counter-attacking style football and somehow the writer either chose to expunge it or not take it into cognizance in putting forth his write-up.

He made a great point by stating that Arsene Wenger's folly has always been in trying to emulate a style that he didn't have neither acumen nor the personnel for, but on the flip side, even if Monsieur decided to adopt ATMs style of playing, his acumen and the players at his disposal will not able to match ATMs success.

I also think the writer seems to downplay the fact that even though many teams began to admire Barca's style of play and to some degree try to mirror it, there are many other teams which having accepted the fate that they do not have the talent to replicate the style, began to adopt the mourinho-esque, Simeone-esque technique of beating such teams. And the results are pretty much the same - if you don't have the tactical discipline, speed, and requisite skills to neutralize the advances of those possession teams, you lost the game.

Leicester's success, even if a testament to the fact that the less possession dependent teams could be more effective and thus win it all and win big, it still points to the fact that there are some elements of serendipity to it and this can be proven from the fact that teams playing such styles either in (Spain, England or Italy) have only won the league or big competitions very few times in the last 2 decades.

I agree with Ramdeuter in his clamour for balance. Having the right balance of playing styles with maybe possession style being dominant could transmute an average team into a great one.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Nihilist: 7:23pm On May 05, 2016
Eruditor,

The players to suit this direct style really only require only three basic amount of tekkers. The main requirement is bundles of athlectism.

The only player with tekkers in that Leicester side is Mahrez, all those other players are quite limited in terms of technique.

And here's the thing, several times the commentators would point out how Mahrez was causing the team to play a bit lopsidedly due to Mahrez's need to be on the ball, everyone else played their position.

I think that the less technically gifted players, who are self aware of their limitations may be more likely to buy into the concept of the collective effort.

All you need is physicality, and if done just right, you can succeed...Atletico and Leicester are proof.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by patrickmuf(m): 7:30pm On May 05, 2016
I think I'm all for a balanced outfit, one that brings all the ingredient that makes for effective football to the plate i.e Compact defending, Possession and efficiency in attack etc I think over the years the teams who've come closest or have managed to apply all of the listed qualities are Barcelona of the Rijkaard era and Bayern of the Heynkes era...
Barca had a defense of Zambrotta, Puyol, Thuram, Sylvinho...A midfield made of the very effective Toure, Van Bommel, Motta (was injured most time) and Deco (who bore the creative load from the middle)...An attack led by the predatory instinct of Eto, the magic of Dinho and the workmanlike attitude of Giuly...In this team, we saw a balance of attack and defense as the team was made up of players who were not shy of playing dirty...
Now over to the Bayern team of Juup, the team mirrored that of Barcelona in personnel and style...
One thing is stands out in both cases, Pep...He brings a whole lot to the table but his knack for all out offensive possession based football has exposed the both teams to all forms of vulnerability against well oiled counter attacking teams...
It'd be interesting to see how Pep manages this Man City team filled with players who're hardly suited for a possession based foootball...

1 Like

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Eruditor: 8:15pm On May 05, 2016
Nihilist:
Eruditor,

The players to suit this direct style really only require only three basic amount of tekkers. The main requirement is bundles of athlectism.

The only player with tekkers in that Leicester side is Mahrez, all those other players are quite limited in terms of technique.

And here's the thing, several times the commentators would point out how Mahrez was causing the team to play a bit lopsidedly due to Mahrez's need to be on the ball, everyone else played their position.

I think that the less technically gifted players, who are self aware of their limitations may be more likely to buy into the concept of the collective effort.

All you need is physicality, and if done just right, you can succeed...Atletico and Leicester are proof.

The emboldened is very true and I think it works better with teams which people have less expectations of. I believe this is why it worked for Mou in Porto, first stint in CFC and Inter and why it has worked for Simeone in ATM.

In RM, he had a harder time trying to convince all those egos to play a certain less-adventurous, dominant or expressive style. I believe it is the same challenge he had with CFC during his second stint especially after CFC lost 3-5 to Tottenham.

Jackson Martinez and Mandzukic didn't foot the bill at ATM also for the same purpose and I am now left wondering if the egos of certain Leicester players this following season is not part of the reason that Ranieri feels they may not be champions again.

1 Like

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Odunharry(m): 8:20pm On May 05, 2016
klopp is doing a great job at Liverpool..

2 Likes

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by sinizia: 8:21pm On May 05, 2016
Nihilist, I disagree with the author and agree with Raumdeuter and Ranieri. The answer is not even far-fetched. Since the inaugural EPL season, the likes of Blackburn, Man Utd, Assanal, Shekpe and Man City that have won it played mostly attacking football with huge amount of goals scored. Even Blackburn that won with 80-something points did it with a better goal difference and attacking than Leceister City. Leceister City's win is one of a kind, it doesn't happen all the time. It's like the history created by Clough with Nottingham Forest. When was the last you heard of such fairy tale?

Barca and Madrid have swept through the league titles in Spain and they did it with brilliant attacking sides while breaking different scoring records and points record. Same can be said of Bayern. Same can be said of Lyon of old and the present PSG. Take it anywhere, the best way to DEFEND is to ATTACK. Juve plays attacking football and that's why they are champions right now. Athletico Madrid even with their ultra-defensive style, are they more successful than Barca or Madrid in the last 4 years? NO.

So since attacking sides have proven to be more successful than defensive sides, I'd rather bank on my team attacking than defending. Defending is a risky job. Even though Atletico survived Bayern 2 days ago, will you tell you me that you weren't on your toes while praying Bayern doesn't score? Atletico were EXTREMELY lucky to have escaped. The best side lost. Shìt happens. We don't use coz of one occurrence to judge 1 thousand happenings. When we had the likes of CR7, in-form Torres, Henry Theirry, Drogba, Nistelrooy and co plying their trade in EPL, Leceister compact football wouldn't have earned them the league

But I agree with you that possession footie doesn't necessarily mean attacking football. Man Utd this season are a prime example of club that holds onto the ball more than any other EPL but with meagre attacking prowess to compliment it. We just keep passing the ball around like headless chickens and end up with 1 or no shot on target at the end of the day. Of what use is the possession football then? But clubs like Bayern and Barca play possession football and still have the best attacks alongside it not forgeting winning multiple league titles with it.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (1939) (1940) (1941) (1942) (1943) (1944) (1945) ... (19149) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Trevor012(m) and 8 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.