Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,194 members, 7,818,642 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:36 PM

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (8606) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 (10525262 Views)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Pride Of London / Offical Bayern Munich Fan Thread: 6x Champions Of Europe / Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8603) (8604) (8605) (8606) (8607) (8608) (8609) ... (19165) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by afrodoc2: 5:09pm On Mar 28, 2020
Ibime:

Yeah, property is still solid. I just tend to look at the percentages, and it depends largely on the tax regime in your country. For example, as you said, you can sell a property for 200% of what you bought it in 10 years time. However in the UK, you will get taxed 40% of rent you collect, you still have maintenance charges etc so people are starting to diversify from buy-to-let because of the change in tax laws.

On the other hand, UK tax exemptions on pensions will allow you to achieve that 200% instantly on pensions for a good portion of your income via 40% income tax relief and 12% National Insurance relief. So I'm turning every 48 pence into £1 instantly, and then still getting the benefit of the next 10 years of stock market rises.

If I meet that money at age 55 vs return from property, I think the pension will substantially outweigh the property return, and I can cash in the pension and buy properties then.

Here there is a cap over how much you can contribute yearly before you lose your tax deduction benefit. So this limits how much you can load into your pension fund.

For last year it was about 25k, meaning any money over that amount that you put into the fund gets taken out and put into your taxable income come end of financial year. And said money apparently gets taxed at a higher rate.

So i usually go just under that max and put the rest in property.
I need to go through the points you raised with my tax accountant though. Just to make sure that I am not counting flyovers while others are buying them.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Ibime(m): 5:18pm On Mar 28, 2020
raumdeuter:

Why I am asking mainly is that some stocks might be trading at all time lows, does it make sense to reduce what I am contributing and hold that cash for any opportunity that presents.

Do you think prices would have bottomed out or we still have gloomy days ahead?

To add to this, and why I use 2011 to 2015 as reference point us that it represents some sort of true value of companies.

Even though companies have fallen 20-30% during Covid, most companies are at least double their 2013 Shareprice without doubling their earnings.

The company I worked for had almost quintupled their 2011 Shareprice before Covid without even doubling their EBITDA. They did it through share buybacks and due to excess cash in the system and cheap credit looking for companies to invest in without a strong correlation between share price and earnings performance.

I personally believe the $1trn Obama put in the system in 2008 as bailout, coupled with cheap credit and foreign investment vehicles have been looking for anywhere to be put to use, and has caused an overvaluation of shareprices, and the Covid bear run still hasn't corrected that fully. That's why I keep saying that too much cash is chasing too little value.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Ibime(m): 5:24pm On Mar 28, 2020
afrodoc2:

For last year it was about 25k, meaning any money over that amount that you put into the fund gets taken out and put into your taxable income come end of financial year. And said money apparently gets taxed at a higher rate.

You be oga na. Money must find place to be put to use.

afrodoc2:

I need to go through the points you raised with my tax accountant though. Just to make sure that I am not counting flyovers while others are buying them.

Aussie laws may be different. I'm only relating UK laws. Prior to 2015, we only got taxed on the interest portion of mortgage payments on rental property. Now we get taxed on the full rent which for most Landlords fall in the 40% range, plus 12% National Insurance. Also capital appreciation started slowing down heavily in 2016, so it's no longer a case of just paying deposit and cashing out on equity gain. I don't think equity gain in UK, (especially London) competes with the tax exemption gain from pensions any longer.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by afrodoc2: 5:36pm On Mar 28, 2020
Ibime:

Aussie laws may be different. I'm only relating UK laws. Prior to 2015, we only got taxed on the interest portion of mortgage payments on rental property. Now we get taxed on the full rent which for most Landlords fall in the 40% range, plus 12% National Insurance. Also capital appreciation started slowing down heavily in 2016, so it's no longer a case of just paying deposit and cashing out on equity gain. I don't think equity gain in UK, (especially London) competes with the tax exemption gain from pensions any longer.

Benefits of being a finance guy, you know all the tricks the govt uses and the implications of policy changes. We are learners in this field.

2 Likes

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Skimpledawg(m): 5:43pm On Mar 28, 2020
Omo, Ibime sha cool

6 Likes

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Greatihex(m): 6:17pm On Mar 28, 2020
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by iamoyindamola(m): 6:23pm On Mar 28, 2020
Greatihex:
https://www.facebook.com/1161656927197106/posts/3312722928757151/

I pray this guy gets well.
yet davido took his crew about 32 people to get tested.
This guy has been calling ncdc they told him to self isolate because he doesn't have recent travel history.
Because he's a comedian they didn't take him serious
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by iamoyindamola(m): 6:27pm On Mar 28, 2020
Ibime it's really good to have someone like you here.
Only dullard won't gain from you guys conversation

4 Likes

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Eruditor: 6:33pm On Mar 28, 2020
iamoyindamola:
This guy has been calling ncdc they told him to self isolate because he doesn't have recent travel history.

It is because he is obviously lying.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by afrodoc2: 6:38pm On Mar 28, 2020
Ibime:

Just confirmed that after 25k into the pension fund you get no more benefit, in fact you get penalized for any extra you put in. It can be accessed without charge at age 55 but accessed with heavy charges before then.

I think diversification is key at my end. Put the first 20-25k into the pension and the extra can go into property and/or stocks. It is more about how smart the investment is rather than just what you are investing in.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by afrodoc2: 6:41pm On Mar 28, 2020
iamoyindamola:

What are his symptoms? And why do you think he should be tested for COVID-19? Does he meet the criteria for testing as established by NCDC?
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by iamoyindamola(m): 6:43pm On Mar 28, 2020
Eruditor:

It is because he is obviously lying.
who's lying
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by iamoyindamola(m): 6:45pm On Mar 28, 2020
afrodoc2:

What are his symptoms? And why do you think he should be tested for COVID-19? Does he meet the criteria for testing as established by NCDC?
Watch the video I quoted, he told them he had same symptoms covid-19 patients have.
In the video he was having problem in breathing,why will they be asking if he recently traveled when everyone knows it has gone beyond that
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by afrodoc2: 6:53pm On Mar 28, 2020
iamoyindamola:

Watch the video I quoted, he told them he had same symptoms covid-19 patients have.
In the video he was having problem in breathing

That does not qualify him for testing.

He did not look like someone in respiratory distress. He didn't cough once. If he does not have a history of recent foreign travel in the 14 days before he became sick or contact with a known COVID-19 patient, or documented fever of at least 38C he does not qualify to be tested.

1 Like

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by afrodoc2: 6:56pm On Mar 28, 2020
iamoyindamola:

In the video he was having problem in breathing,why will they be asking if he recently traveled when everyone knows it has gone beyond that

There are criteria for testing that have been put in place by medical experts. The stage at which Nigeria is in the pandemic curve travel history is still significant.

So yesterday he was struggling to breath like in that video but today he is posting the video on Facebook and typing plenty grammar?
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by iamoyindamola(m): 6:59pm On Mar 28, 2020
afrodoc2:

That does not qualify him for testing.

He did not look like someone in respiratory distress. He didn't cough once. If he does not have a history of recent foreign travel in the 14 days before he became sick or contact with known COVID-19 patient, or documented fever of at least 38C he does not qualify to be tested.
davido and his guys didn't show any symptoms but 31 test kits was wasted on them.
If in the end the guy actually have the virus who should we blame.
What if he had come in contact with someone that recently traveled since Corona virus is becoming abroad disease
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by afrodoc2: 7:06pm On Mar 28, 2020
iamoyindamola:
davido and his guys didn't show any symptoms but 31 test kits was wasted on them.
What if he had come in contact with someone that recently traveled since Corona virus is becoming abroad disease

Based on the information about this guy that you know does he qualify for testing?
Or does it take just going to the hospital and saying that you think you have COVID-19 for one to be tested?
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by iamoyindamola(m): 7:12pm On Mar 28, 2020
afrodoc2:

Based on the information about this guy that you know does he qualify for testing?
Or does it take just going to the hospital and saying that you think you have COVID-19 for one to be tested?
He's also qualified for test too
Okay we was told to self isolate which is right but then he developed a severe symptoms and they still didn't take him serious is what I don't understand
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Victornezzar: 7:13pm On Mar 28, 2020
The Effect of Buhari government cheesy cheesy grin cheesy cheesy cheesy

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by iamoyindamola(m): 7:14pm On Mar 28, 2020
Victornezzar:
hunger they land
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Victornezzar: 7:15pm On Mar 28, 2020
iamoyindamola:
hunger they land
I've been laughing since cheesy cheesy cheesy

The threads are just too funny
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by iamoyindamola(m): 7:19pm On Mar 28, 2020
Victornezzar:

I've been laughing since cheesy cheesy cheesy

The threads are just too funny
people are dropping account details embarassed
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by afrodoc2: 7:21pm On Mar 28, 2020
iamoyindamola:
Okay we was told to self isolate which is right but then he developed a severe symptoms and they still didn't take him serious is what I don't understand

According to the criteria I do not believe he is qualified for testing for COVID-19.

As to whether he was really sick, only the doctors who attended to him can comment on that.

Let us all bear in mind that because COVID-19 exists does not mean other diseases went on leave.
Not all illness is COVID-19.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Victornezzar: 7:22pm On Mar 28, 2020
iamoyindamola:
people are dropping account details embarassed
What do you expect na
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Eruditor: 7:33pm On Mar 28, 2020
iamoyindamola:
who's lying

The instagram comedian/influencer is lying. He had played a prank before and he was nabbed. This thing he is doing now is a cover-up just incase of repercussions.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Eruditor: 7:35pm On Mar 28, 2020
iamoyindamola:

Davido recently came back from California which is one of the epicentres in the US. His fiancé came back from London (another epicentre). Their travel history and of course, clout, allowed him to get tested. And with good reason, because his fiancé tested positive to the virus.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Eruditor: 7:38pm On Mar 28, 2020
iamoyindamola:

If he does not have travel history and did not come in contact with any confirmed case, how did he get it? Why waste people's time? Is every sickness COVID-19?
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by iamoyindamola(m): 7:40pm On Mar 28, 2020
Eruditor:

The instagram comedian/influencer is lying. He had played a prank before and he was nabbed. This thing he is doing now is a cover-up just incase of repercussions.
No he did a video telling people not to depend on ncdc because they won't pick on time
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Eruditor: 7:42pm On Mar 28, 2020
Victornezzar:

They are doing giveaway in the UK and US as well. It is even worse in the latter. I dey there, I can tell you.

You praised Sanwo-olu the other day, but 10 B grant came from the government you said should be a councillor and then praised Sanwo-olu for spending the money the councillor gave him.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by iamoyindamola(m): 7:42pm On Mar 28, 2020
Eruditor:

If he does not have travel history and did not come in contact with any confirmed case, how did he get it? Why waste people's time? Is every sickness COVID-19?
we can't be sure he didn't come in contact with an infected person
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Eruditor: 7:44pm On Mar 28, 2020
iamoyindamola:
No he did a video telling people not to depend on ncdc because they won't pick on time

He lied. NCDC picked up. Also, if you have an established travel history, they will follow-up on you every day for the next 14 days. When he lied the first time, they called him out on twitter because they picked his call and he told them it was a skit for instagram to "create awareness" for the virus.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Eruditor: 7:45pm On Mar 28, 2020
iamoyindamola:
we can't be sure he didn't come in contact with an infected person

You are right, but the chances are very slim.

(1) (2) (3) ... (8603) (8604) (8605) (8606) (8607) (8608) (8609) ... (19165) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Sportsweb, MorataFC, popizaino(m), ThanosKilla(m), joezy23(m), raumdeuter and 12 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.