Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,996 members, 7,825,081 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 06:08 AM

Help From Nigerian Students In US - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Help From Nigerian Students In US (2268 Views)

Photos: 4 Nigerian Students Found Dead In An Apartment In Georgia / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help From Nigerian Students In US by jaydorc: 10:29pm On Apr 21, 2012
I got a scholarship to cameron university...so am to pay 10000$ per yr if am staying on capus and 5000$ off campus...pls i wnt 2 knw if d on campus job will pay much to take care of dis fees.pls help
Re: Help From Nigerian Students In US by doxat(m): 2:26am On Apr 23, 2012
depends on the school, talk to your adviser
Re: Help From Nigerian Students In US by jaydorc: 9:45am On Apr 23, 2012
@doxat thanks i will do dat now...bt pls wat is d average payment per hour for a student job on campus..the school is cameron university,lawton oklahoma
Re: Help From Nigerian Students In US by doxat(m): 11:23am On Apr 23, 2012
most pay anythin between 7.25 to 8 dolls an hour for a start, and allow u to work 20hours each week. U'l really need to look for another funding source, moni u make on d job will just be enough for phone bills nd some minor expensis
Re: Help From Nigerian Students In US by jaydorc: 8:00pm On Apr 23, 2012
Yeah..i knw and my parents are sponsoring me..am jst thinking of hw i can save and help instead of collecting the whole money from home..lyk paying 2 to 3k$ ma sef..wat do u tink abt dat
Re: Help From Nigerian Students In US by ifegy: 10:23pm On Apr 23, 2012
Well, first you'd have to get the job. Which is not a given. In other words, you have to be prepared for every eventuality, including not getting a job or not getting one as quickly as you would like. You'd be much better off trying to ensure you arrive with enough funds to support yourself for 6 to 12 months.
Re: Help From Nigerian Students In US by doxat(m): 10:34pm On Apr 23, 2012
if u get a 7.5 paying job, and work 20 hrs. at the end of 2 weeks u'l make 300 before tax, after tax it will be like 270 or a little above. thing is, once here you'l see things differently. my advice collect all the money you will need from home, saving 2000 on a 7.5 pay is not as mathematical as it seems
Re: Help From Nigerian Students In US by loverencha: 8:44am On Apr 24, 2012
@Jaydorc, Pls How did you get a scholarship to study at Cameron University U.S.. I need info on that.. Because I intend to apply for admission to study in U.S. And I need financial aid... Thanks bro hope to hear from you soon.
Re: Help From Nigerian Students In US by jaydorc: 9:07am On Apr 24, 2012
@doxat and ifegy,thanks much for ur advice...my parents are going 2 pay my complit fees 4 d 1st nd subsequent yr..mine is jst to try nd kip up d scholarship,howeva i dnt wnt 2 strike out d possiblity of little hustle bt am 95% out to study..1nce more thanks for ur support i appreciate any more add up anytime will do lot of good.@loverencha it's easy register for toefl and SAT pass TOEFL,Ace SAT nd sure u will get a scholarahip 1nce u apply to the schools,US universities are not stingy..lol
Re: Help From Nigerian Students In US by Nobody: 11:19am On Apr 24, 2012
What? 7-8 dolls per hour for student job in the US? The people that earn that amount per hour here are 14 yr old and under students sef, you people are kidding me right? Students here make 23 dollars per hour here, Infact he minimum I know of is 18 -19 dollars depending on the job. My husbands relative here earned good money as a student.
Re: Help From Nigerian Students In US by doxat(m): 12:03pm On Apr 24, 2012
jennykadry: What? 7-8 dolls per hour for student job in the US? The people that earn that amount per hour here are 14 yr old and under students sef, you people are kidding me right? Students here make 23 dollars per hour here, Infact he minimum I know of is 18 -19 dollars depending on the job. My husbands relative here earned good money as a student.

What country is that? to earn 23 per hour in the U.S u need to be a graduate working in a good firm, 7.5-8 is the startup pay for highschool cert jobs
Re: Help From Nigerian Students In US by jaydorc: 1:34pm On Apr 24, 2012
@jennykadry..pls i dnt mean 2 b rude..bt i mean present undergraduate,my friends also at cameron and grambling state university,i met dem online tho(facebook) told me dey make 950-1000$ a month..so am also supris'd at the 7$ per hour bt all d same it's good as it helps me 2 prepare better.so any more info ffm d house is welcum..thanks
Re: Help From Nigerian Students In US by jaydorc: 1:36pm On Apr 24, 2012
@doxat u said start up pay..does it increase as time goes on?
Re: Help From Nigerian Students In US by doxat(m): 2:36pm On Apr 24, 2012
jaydorc: @doxat u said start up pay..does it increase as time goes on?

Sure, it does with time. you can also get a job of 10dolls/hr, but thats mostly wearhouse. most students rather work in stores or fastfood stores. at the end of the month you should have 550 or more, it really depends on the hours you work
Re: Help From Nigerian Students In US by Nobody: 3:42pm On Apr 24, 2012
jaydorc: @jennykadry..pls i dnt mean 2 b rude..bt i mean present undergraduate,my friends also at cameron and grambling state university,i met dem online tho(facebook) told me dey make [b]950-1000$ [/b]a month..so am also supris'd at the 7$ per hour bt all d same it's good as it helps me 2 prepare better.so any more info ffm d house is welcum..thanks

What you posted above is what an average student here earns per fortnight here. They get paid fortnightly here not monthly so multiply that by 2, That's what they earn per month. Students in the US are under paid if what I see up there is true
Re: Help From Nigerian Students In US by jaydorc: 3:43pm On Apr 24, 2012
@doxat tanx much am gr8ful..bt can u pls highligth d cost of 1month accomodation(decent)i mean 4 a peson witout much oloju kokoro..
Re: Help From Nigerian Students In US by jaydorc: 8:29pm On Apr 24, 2012
jennykadry:

What you posted above is what an average student here earns per fortnight here. They get paid fortnightly here not monthly so multiply that by 2, That's what they earn per month. Students in the US are under paid if what I see up there is true
@jennykadry..frm urt last line,it's sims lyk u ar nt in US ar u?...coz i wnt d current info 2 knw wat am planning 4.thanks
Re: Help From Nigerian Students In US by ifegy: 9:18pm On Apr 24, 2012
@OP, few points for you to consider:
1)Does your school have an office for international students (I assume you are coming in as an international student)? If so, I suggest getting in touch with them, as they can give you information geared towards helping international students settle in, such as info re on/off campus accommodation, jobs (where to look, when to apply, pay to expect, how to get your resume up to US standards/expectations), etc.

2) If your school has an international student association, or an African (or Nigerian) student group, try contacting them as well. Check the school website, ask the international office, or just try googling, to find out if these associations exist.

3) You can also google for info on the things you have questions about- eg, look at job postings in the area your school is in, to get an idea of what's available and the pay being offered, bearing in mind the limitations placed on international students with regards to work, and the fact that pay is generally quoted gross, not net of tax. You can also look on craigslist for info on accommodation in the area; etc.

4) You mentioned what your friends said they were earning. Well, as a general rule, don't put too much store by other people's report of their experiences, if you don't have the full picture. There are so many variables impacting the outcomes for each individual that you cannot expect to have the exact same experience they have. Plus, there may also be some exaggeration.

5) Take a wholistic view of finances- i.e., focus on both increasing your income and reducing your expenditure. Regarding income, does your school have other scholarships or even grants that you may be eligible for in this and subsequent years, based on your need, your course of study, your performance, etc? Regarding expenditure, there are a couple of threads in the travel section focused on studying in the US. You should be able to get info there on how to shop cheaply as a student for clothes (note- wearing 2nd hand clothing is not a crime), food (note- Nigerian food is generally more expensive), etc. You can even check to see if the area you'll be going to has food banks where you can get free food if you're on a low income (no shame, you're a student).

6) Make sure you have a financial backup plan before you arrive. You may get a job that pays really well, or you may get no job at all. You may get a ton of grants, or you may get none at all. You should be prepared for just about anything.

All the best.
Re: Help From Nigerian Students In US by jaydorc: 11:11pm On Apr 24, 2012
thanks very much...u ve said it all..i will folo all d steps u jst listed above and like i said before my parents will be paying my fee as long as i dnt luz d scholatship..By His grace i hope 2 get d best outta dis opportunity...1nc more thanks
Re: Help From Nigerian Students In US by doxat(m): 11:56pm On Apr 24, 2012
jaydorc: @doxat tanx much am gr8ful..bt can u pls highligth d cost of 1month accomodation(decent)i mean 4 a peson witout much oloju kokoro..
housing around schools are kinda expensive, to be on the save side budget $500/month, for a one bedroom flat (at it’s called Nigeria)

(1) (Reply)

Invitation Letter To Attend Graduation / My Trip To Ilesha... Osun State.Met some lovely kids there that got my attention / Visa Appointments Still Open At Us Embassy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.