Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,340 members, 7,819,201 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:39 PM

Theories To Explain The Backward State Of Africa - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Theories To Explain The Backward State Of Africa (21427 Views)

Why Africa Is Backward (pictures) / Pic : Gowon And Trudeau In 1973, Is Africa Moving Forward Or Backward??? / Can Someone Help Me Explain The 25% Issue Vs Popular Vote? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Theories To Explain The Backward State Of Africa by basher(m): 4:47pm On May 08, 2012
obo_man: The first reason I'm gonna give is climate.. Yes differences in climate could be the reason why africa is backward. Is it a coincidence that most of the most developed and innovative countries are temperate regions of the earth?

My reason for giving this reason is because temperate regions produce less social activtives that could hinder innovation. Eg, the long winter periods europeans experience every year makes them stay indoors, which in turn makes them innovative, because with serenity, quietness and tranquillity comes invention and creativity.

Whereas, in the tropics (of which africa is situated), there are noisy and sometimes chaotic activities,which most often have less time for ourselves to think and get creative..warmth as we all know encourage such actitivies.

My second reason for giving climate are diseases..it is a fact that there are more tropical diseases than temperate diseases. If malaria no kill u for africa,other tropical insects go kill u.. These diseases place our creativity @ disadvantage, because time spent in doing other creative things, our system, brain and selves use it to fight tropical diseases.

Finally, let's look at rate of decay in these two regions. A caveman in stone age that has jus hunt a deer is better off than an african in that same period.. The caveman need not worry about rot, nature serves as Freezer for him.. This enables him to do other productive things with his time, instead of worrying about his meal or going regularly to hunt like his african counterpart.

In summary, time you save, you use it to invent, get creative and you then pass these skills to your next generation.
Africans have never been socially backward compared to their european counterparts, the only place we lagging behind are in science, advanced medicine and technology. Socially, they not any better, remember they fought two senseless wars that almost killed 150 million people, yet there are places in africa that has been peaceful for 500 years.

I'll also have to disagree with you here too. The Indian sub-continent is also very hot, and in some areas, even hotter than places in West Africa. They were however, still able to come up with a form of writing and counting, and also make some very reasonable forages into philosophy and medicine before the white man arrived there.

I strongly believe that it is the negative aspects of our culture that has held us down throughout our history and is still affecting us now.
Re: Theories To Explain The Backward State Of Africa by Coldfeet(f): 4:56pm On May 08, 2012
We have blamed the white man long enough its time to take the bull by the horn! Their actions demoralised us for sure! But unknown to them and us (sadly) they left us with TWO!!! Great tools to liberate ourselves and that is CHRISTIANITY and EDUCATION! Why can't we utilise them to our advantage? If we all pitch in with meaningful contributions in any little way possible am sure the rot in Africa will be a thing of the past! Tribalism, religious fanaticism and corruption is an individual battle that we must fight on our own! Africa's backwardness today! has nothing to do with the coming of the white man its been backward since time immemorial! Their coming just watered the seed that has been sown by our forefathers.
Re: Theories To Explain The Backward State Of Africa by pssword: 5:05pm On May 08, 2012
obo_man: The first reason I'm gonna give is climate.. Yes differences in climate could be the reason why africa is backward. Is it a coincidence that most of the most developed and innovative countries are temperate regions of the earth?

My reason for giving this reason is because temperate regions produce less social activtives that could hinder innovation. Eg, the long winter periods europeans experience every year makes them stay indoors, which in turn makes them innovative, because with serenity, quietness and tranquillity comes invention and creativity.

Whereas, in the tropics (of which africa is situated), there are noisy and sometimes chaotic activities,which most often have less time for ourselves to think and get creative..warmth as we all know encourage such actitivies.

My second reason for giving climate are diseases..it is a fact that there are more tropical diseases than temperate diseases. If malaria no kill u for africa,other tropical insects go kill u.. These diseases place our creativity @ disadvantage, because time spent in doing other creative things, our system, brain and selves use it to fight tropical diseases.

Finally, let's look at rate of decay in these two regions. A caveman in stone age that has jus hunt a deer is better off than an african in that same period.. The caveman need not worry about rot, nature serves as Freezer for him.. This enables him to do other productive things with his time, instead of worrying about his meal or going regularly to hunt like his african counterpart.

In summary, time you save, you use it to invent, get creative and you then pass these skills to your next generation.
Africans have never been socially backward compared to their european counterparts, the only place we lagging behind are in science, advanced medicine and technology. Socially, they not any better, remember they fought two senseless wars that almost killed 150 million people, yet there are places in africa that has been peaceful for 500 years.

How about the Brazilians and Argentinians?
Re: Theories To Explain The Backward State Of Africa by Nobody: 5:12pm On May 08, 2012
basher:

I'll also have to disagree with you here too. The Indian sub-continent is also very hot, and in some areas, even hotter than places in West Africa. They were however, still able to come up with a form of writing and counting, and also make some very reasonable forages into philosophy and medicine before the white man arrived there.

I strongly believe that it is the negative aspects of our culture that has held us down throughout our history and is still affecting us now.

Obviously, there are exceptions like the indian sub-continent u mentioned.. But is it a coincidence that over 80% of the oecd countries are situated in the temperate? India is marginally better than africa and don't forget europeans colonised it aswell. Their form of counting and writing didn't stop europeans from colonising and enslaving them, just as they did to west africans.
Re: Theories To Explain The Backward State Of Africa by Nobody: 5:22pm On May 08, 2012
pssword:

How about the Brazilians and Argentinians?

Meaning?

I'm arguing based on statistics......

If you go across the hot regions of the earth, you find more developing countries...'Backward' in OP's words.

If you go across cold regions of the earth, you find more developed countries......

Now, there will be exceptions, obviously but the statistics of the execeptions can be neglected because its minimal. ( 2 or 3 outliners)..

Is it also a coincidence that 80 percent of scientic breakthroughs can be associated with europeans? ( Cold region)? Yes, these europeans migrated to north american, south america ( your brazil and argentina), australia, etc...

1 Like

Re: Theories To Explain The Backward State Of Africa by Sianoz: 6:03pm On May 08, 2012
shymmex:

You're definitely not Jamaican - more like JAFRICAN!! grin

Everything wrong with Nigeria was planted by the British, and they still pull the strings - that's the "REAL HISTORY FOR DUMMIES", Jafrican. cool
ur somehow right but the british are not only to be blamed.if i may ask wat held africans from movin to other lands to find people they wil colonise? Well, am of the view dat wat held our ancestors from thriving is stil wit us & wat made their ancestors(west) to conquer the world is stil wit them.May be our ancestors were cursed.
Re: Theories To Explain The Backward State Of Africa by Nobody: 6:20pm On May 08, 2012
Sianoz: ur somehow right but the british are not only to be blamed.if i may ask wat held africans from movin to other lands to find people they wil colonise? Well, am of the view dat wat held our ancestors from thriving is stil wit us & wat made their ancestors(west) to conquer the world is stil wit them.May be our ancestors were cursed.

Are you minding these primitive people?
Millenia have passed and their thinking has not changed. Preferring instead to sit in a bush and moan and complain about everything everyone but themselves has done to them.
Bullshit aside, if you truly look at the history of your continent, you will see that the slave trade thing was orchestrated by blacks.
White men didn't come to enslave you, they came as merchants. And you were all selling out yourselves as products. So enough with all the noise.

So by your complaining and blaming, you are essentially saying "It's okay that our kinsmen captured each other, put themselves in chains and put each other on public slave market. That's perfectly understandable. However, why did the white men, who needed cheap labor etc, buy these products?" . . . This is the what they are all saying. Sadly, it is unfortunate that thinking things through is not one of the strongpoints of africans.

The beginning of you all rising out of your slums is the accepting of responsibility that yes indeed, you are where you are because of YOU and not white man, red man, green man, etc.
Accepting responsibility for where you are in life is a VERY empowering thing. If it is important to you, accepting that it was the BLACKS that were responsible for the slave trade and not the whites will dawn the epiphany required to do things better.

You have to understand what BLAMING things other than yourself does to your psyche.
Sometime, you should accept the blame for a thing. You will be left stronger for it. THIS is the leadership spirit Africa needs today, not that of complainers and blamers...
Re: Theories To Explain The Backward State Of Africa by Daddi: 6:28pm On May 08, 2012
just as being stated by other posters, Africa's woes is from low esteem which brings what I may call achivement mediocrity. Though colonisation have its effects but we can overcome it, if we actually want. It's only in Africa or an african that if one achieved success by share intelligence and is rewarded, laziness of mind sets in & the first initial right idea dissappears. This arises 'cos no one asks where are u deviating to. Some1 said respect to elders which is fine, but must be constructive respect. For instance people like Gaddhafi, Mugabe, IBB, etc started very well but once being praised or a slight issue of mind test they derail. SOLUTION: we need to rise up n decide how to move forward n be ready to stick to it. It means we need to talk. Starting from our nation to the continent. If we can stand on issues without sentiments then we can be undivided then our solution is near at hand. But our problem is me n you, who has refused to put sentiments aside n tackle our problems headlong. Mind you nations are matching forward, see Ghana, South Africa, maybe Senegal now n if Nigeria can join, wat do ya think?. GOD bless Nigeria, GOD bless Africa
Re: Theories To Explain The Backward State Of Africa by Sianoz: 6:35pm On May 08, 2012
Everytime i consider d gap b/w africans & europeans even d chinese i always come to the conclusion dat our ancestors were cursed & d curse is stil with us.if i may ask wat held our ancestors from conquering other lands & colonising them as well? Wat made it possible for the west to conquer other lands? Though the british are partly to be blamed but they are not the root cause of our problems.
Re: Theories To Explain The Backward State Of Africa by Nobody: 6:56pm On May 08, 2012
@ neuronin

Generally speaking, Africans have always been well traveled. Keep in mind our ancestors for the most part were nomadic.
Africans were very much part of the Greek, Roman, Persian, Mesopotamian, Assyrian; etc empires despite that fact being voided out of textbooks (an effort to hide our contributions to western civilization and the world at large). Not to mention our ancestors built magnificent empires and kingdoms of their own. But the issue is black people are too trusting of others but hateful to one another!

While other people may have tribal or national conflicts, when it comes to outsiders they will form alliances within their race to aid each other in fending off foreign attack (although S. Korea is an exception to that rule!). This is notable when the Celtic and Gaul peoples (western European in origin) and Greeks, all former enemies BTW, banded together against the ancient tribes of the middle east (Phoenicians) who sought to invade and control many parts Europe. Yes many of these groups incorporated African and foreign men into their armies but those men had to abide by the laws of that society. There were boundaries when it came to foreigners.

Africans will invite foreigners to help annihilate other Africans just to be victorious. In the Congo for example, when the government hired white South African mercenaries to help fight Congolese rebels, they not only paid them but gave these men the right to do as they please within Congolese borders. This included terrorizing, extorting and abusing their power on the people they claimed to be helping. That is what makes us different. That is what makes us weak. We are a docile people to others but very hard on each other....since the beginning of time.

Even those of us in the west who are descendants of slaves took that same mentality with us. This "extreme" tribalistic and "better them than us" mentality. During the 70s and early 80s, Jamaicans killed each other based on political influence just so that their white or biracial candidates could get into office and fulfill their promises of "Americanizing the nation". Lives lost for what? Better cars, clothes, and means to brag. ('Greedy chief' syndrome) Smh. Don't get me started on African American issues.

Readers pls. don't get me wrong, I am not "putting Africans/black people down". I am just saying at what point do we realize that our M.O. is failing us and accept that WE ARE THE PROBLEM?
Re: Theories To Explain The Backward State Of Africa by Nobody: 7:00pm On May 08, 2012

I have never heard anything dumber! So, russia with the most temperate region is the most developed in the world? If you theory holds true, then development (or innovation as it pertains to countries) should rank in terms of how temperate such country is. Apparently, that is not the case
Re: Theories To Explain The Backward State Of Africa by Nobody: 7:01pm On May 08, 2012
sauer:
I have never heard anything dumber! So, russia with the most temperate region is the most developed in the world?

grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Theories To Explain The Backward State Of Africa by OzReal(m): 7:21pm On May 08, 2012
basher:

I have to disagree disagree with u here as u are missing the point entirely. Don't u understand that is this deficient culture that kept us in such a state that, when the white man came, we were practically defenseless? Didn't we appear on this earth before them? So how come they were so ahead of us when they came that they took us so easily and cheaply? Or are u trying to say that they are naturally more intelligent than us?

I'm not exactly sure what it is about that quote you disagree with; neither did i state or imply that the whites are naturally more intelligent than black people. In fact, there nothing that vexes me more than hearing that statement. I believe I said that there is something inherently amiss with us, which I simply cannot give a rational explanation. However, let us be very practical here and answer these questions: Why is it that there is no developed nation on the African continent? Why is there no nation on earth where there is a black majority developed?

I'll state again that it is my fervent belief that our culture impedes our development. Granted, no one is born with a particular 'culture'; yet this is what we learn in our formative years. I cannot speak for other countries, but no matter how progressive we think we may be, the average Nigerian male or female is still very conservative when it comes to traditional practices. I stated earlier that we have unquestionable respect for elders, which I believe is very admirable for we Nigerians; however, I believe that this is a particular trait that has made the so-called leaders we have take us for granted everyday. Each time we criticize our leaders, we are branded as being disrespectful; thus, suffering in silence. This has made these guys continue unchallenged. While the after-effects of colonialism are still being felt in our country(e.g implementation of IMF and World bank policies), we Nigerians(leaders and citizens alike) are still our biggest problem.
Re: Theories To Explain The Backward State Of Africa by neuronin: 7:45pm On May 08, 2012
MsDarkSkin: @ neuronin

Generally speaking, Africans have always been well traveled. Keep in mind our ancestors for the most part were nomadic.
Africans were very much part of the Greek, Roman, Persian, Mesopotamian, Assyrian; etc empires despite that fact being voided out of textbooks (an effort to hide our contributions to western civilization and the world at large). Not to mention our ancestors built magnificent empires and kingdoms of their own. But the issue is black people are too trusting of others but hateful to one another!

While other people may have tribal or national conflicts, when it comes to outsiders they will form alliances within their race to aid each other in fending off foreign attack (although S. Korea is an exception to that rule!). This is notable when the Celtic and Gaul peoples (western European in origin) and Greeks, all former enemies BTW, banded together against the ancient tribes of the middle east (Phoenicians) who sought to invade and control many parts Europe. Yes many of these groups incorporated African and foreign men into their armies but those men had to abide by the laws of that society. There were boundaries when it came to foreigners.

Africans will invite foreigners to help annihilate other Africans just to be victorious. In the Congo for example, when the government hired white South African mercenaries to help fight Congolese rebels, they not only paid them but gave these men the right to do as they please within Congolese borders. This included terrorizing, extorting and abusing their power on the people they claimed to be helping. That is what makes us different. That is what makes us weak. We are a docile people to others but very hard on each other....since the beginning of time.

Even those of us in the west who are descendants of slaves took that same mentality with us. This "extreme" tribalistic and "better them than us" mentality. During the 70s and early 80s, Jamaicans killed each other based on political influence just so that their white or biracial candidates could get into office and fulfill their promises of "Americanizing the nation". Lives lost for what? Better cars, clothes, and means to brag. ('Greedy chief' syndrome) Smh. Don't get me started on African American issues.

Readers pls. don't get me wrong, I am not "putting Africans/black people down". I am just saying at what point do we realize that our M.O. is failing us and accept that WE ARE THE PROBLEM?
You suggest that particular character traits are our undoing, if that is true then it is our nature, our natural construct as fashioned out by God or random forces of nature, that is responsible for the state of the black man. Right?
That has very big implications you know
Re: Theories To Explain The Backward State Of Africa by OzReal(m): 7:50pm On May 08, 2012

grin This must be a joke. Anyway nice try at your rationalization. grin
Re: Theories To Explain The Backward State Of Africa by Nobody: 8:24pm On May 08, 2012
Why is it dumb

I posed a question based on statistics.....

Why are colder regions of the world much more developed on average?

Ms dark skinned, u laughed, u laughing @ what?

U picked russia, surely there will be exceptions.

This same russia u picked has more nobel prize winners than africa times 2....from the man that wrote the periodic tables you all used in chemistry to the man that made the ak47 yall carry in africa..lol. ( He didn't win a nobel prize doe)...

Most of the armouries ya african armies use are all russian made..

Can someone who is rational tell me why colder regions on average ( check list of oecd countries) are much more developed?

Don't call me stupid when you picked russia , just 1 country to counter my point..
Re: Theories To Explain The Backward State Of Africa by Nobody: 8:37pm On May 08, 2012
neuronin:
You suggest that particular character traits are our undoing, if that is true then it is our nature, our natural construct as fashioned out by God or random forces of nature, that is responsible for the state of the black man. Right?
That has very big implications you know

Now you blame God? grin grin grin
<sigh> I can see none of what has been said on this thread penetrates the heads of those who have apparently set themselves apart for failure.

A person who says God, genetics, and other things beyond their control is the reason for their failure is a person who has already decided that he will do all that is in his power to fail!
Re: Theories To Explain The Backward State Of Africa by neuronin: 8:47pm On May 08, 2012
2buff:

Now you blame God? grin grin grin
<sigh> I can see none of what has been said on this thread penetrates the heads of those who have apparently set themselves apart for failure.

A person who says God, genetics, and other things beyond their control is the reason for their failure is a person who has already decided that he will do all that is in his power to fail!

I made reference to what a person wrote and used simple logic to point out what her statement suggests. Except you believe all the contributors on this thread "have apparently set themselves apart for failure"
Re: Theories To Explain The Backward State Of Africa by Nobody: 8:54pm On May 08, 2012
OzReal:

grin This must be a joke. Anyway nice try at your rationalization. grin

Why is it a joke? Argue otherwise and make me look stupid... Pls.. Don't just call it a joke...

Are u an expert on tropical diseases? Don't u think innovation thrives on serenity and tranquillity?

If we are innovative and as inventive as our other counterparts, would we still be termed ' backward' ?
MsDarkSkin:

grin grin grin grin grin

Why is it funny?
sauer:
I have never heard anything dumber! So, russia with the most temperate region is the most developed in the world? If you theory holds true, then development (or innovation as it pertains to countries) should rank in terms of how temperate such country is. Apparently, that is not the case
sauer:

Russia is obviously better than africa has until recently was a super power (ussr)...russia is part of the G8.

Your clever periodic table was designed by a russian.

Type russian inventions on google..

I'm looking beyond colonisation and slavery.. I'm looking deep into the era man left africa and called other continents home.

My analogy is simple and plain...' If we are a product of our culture, then climate has something to do with it'..

'If our cultures as africans made us backward, then climate has something to do with it.'

I then argued that tropical climate do indeed promote much more social activities than temperate regions do, and because of that, it might make us dedicate less time on solitary activities( which is the source of innovation and invention).
Re: Theories To Explain The Backward State Of Africa by Nobody: 8:56pm On May 08, 2012
neuronin:

I made reference to what a person wrote and used simple logic to point out what her statement suggests. Except you believe all the contributors on this thread "have apparently set themselves apart for failure"

From what I have read thus far, some of them have, yes.
Re: Theories To Explain The Backward State Of Africa by Skii(m): 9:01pm On May 08, 2012
Efiko: ...the must authentic, valid & foundamental theory is Genesis 9:20–27 where Noah cursed his younger son (Ham).

"And Noah awoke from his wine, and knew what his younger son had done unto him. And he said , Cursed be Canaan (Ham); a servant of servants shall he be unto his brethren. And he said , Blessed be the LORD God of Shem (present day Israel); and Canaan/Ham (Africa, part of Asia & Arab) shall be his servant. God shall enlarge Japheth (Europe, America), and he shall dwell in the tents of Shem; and Canaan/Ham shall be his servant.

..the phrase "..he (japheth) shall dwell in the tenths of shem" explains the strong colabo between Israel & America.

Ham settle in cush/ethopia and the history of all black people is traceable to Ethopia.

Note that Shem, Ham & Japheth are the ancestors of the present human race as the entire generation was destroy
by flood.

This is the fundamental reason. Sadly, it might remain like this for most of unbelieving Africa till Christ comes. But once she does, she will no longer belong to the old covenant and its curses but becomes entitled to the heritage and blessings of Abraham
Re: Theories To Explain The Backward State Of Africa by Beaf: 9:21pm On May 08, 2012
2buff:

Are you minding these primitive people?
Millenia have passed and their thinking has not changed. Preferring instead to sit in a bush and moan and complain about everything everyone but themselves has done to them.
Bullshit aside, if you truly look at the history of your continent, you will see that the slave trade thing was orchestrated by blacks.
White men didn't come to enslave you, they came as merchants. And you were all selling out yourselves as products. So enough with all the noise.

So by your complaining and blaming, you are essentially saying "It's okay that our kinsmen captured each other, put themselves in chains and put each other on public slave market. That's perfectly understandable. However, why did the white men, who needed cheap labor etc, buy these products?" . . . This is the what they are all saying. Sadly, it is unfortunate that thinking things through is not one of the strongpoints of africans.

The beginning of you all rising out of your slums is the accepting of responsibility that yes indeed, you are where you are because of YOU and not white man, red man, green man, etc.
Accepting responsibility for where you are in life is a VERY empowering thing. If it is important to you, accepting that it was the BLACKS that were responsible for the slave trade and not the whites will dawn the epiphany required to do things better.

You have to understand what BLAMING things other than yourself does to your psyche.
Sometime, you should accept the blame for a thing. You will be left stronger for it. THIS is the leadership spirit Africa needs today, not that of complainers and blamers...

Simples. cool
Re: Theories To Explain The Backward State Of Africa by gomentii(m): 10:41pm On May 08, 2012
Efiko: ...the must authentic, valid & foundamental theory is Genesis 9:20–27 where Noah cursed his younger son (Ham).

"And Noah awoke from his wine, and knew what his younger son had done unto him. And he said , Cursed be Canaan (Ham); a servant of servants shall he be unto his brethren. And he said , Blessed be the LORD God of Shem (present day Israel); and Canaan/Ham (Africa, part of Asia & Arab) shall be his servant. God shall enlarge Japheth (Europe, America), and he shall dwell in the tents of Shem; and Canaan/Ham shall be his servant.

..the phrase "..he (japheth) shall dwell in the tenths of shem" explains the strong colabo between Israel & America.

Ham settle in cush/ethopia and the history of all black people is traceable to Ethopia.

Note that Shem, Ham & Japheth are the ancestors of the present human race as the entire generation was destroy
by flood.

I most say u've given us d root cause of it all...evry oda posts including mine r jos d branches
Re: Theories To Explain The Backward State Of Africa by Nobody: 10:54pm On May 08, 2012
Okay now, the technology is there, implement it, you folks are finding it very hard.Give up your corrupt minds and extreme love for money and other things will be added. How many of you can go into the jungle to do research? How many of you can sacrifice your life for an invention? A lot of these inventors weren't rich. But they had passion for something, to selflessly improve mankind.

But the average black man is so fixated on the things of this world that he never created or invented to begin with.
Re: Theories To Explain The Backward State Of Africa by afinic001(m): 11:08pm On May 08, 2012
Apart from slavery and colonialism, we Africans also share a portion of the blame. Africans are too greedy and selfish! This is evident in our leadership(by overstaying in power and embezzlement of developmental funds). The citizens also share a portion of the blame (by killing themselves over natural resources). Natural resources e.g. Oil,copper,diamond,gold etc were deposited in Africa by God for our development and advancement. Its a shame that we could not find an acceptable and a fair resource control formula(e) for all these resources in our different countries to be shared fairly. Hence, its no coincidence that wars and unrests are rife in majority of the African countries leading to a lack of peace. We all know that there can never be any serious development and advancement where peace is lacking.
Also, The contributions of western powers can not be ruled out cos dey remote-controlled and teleguide some of our policies. This would not have been possible but for the selfishness and greed that I have mentioned earlier.
Re: Theories To Explain The Backward State Of Africa by nnabuike1(m): 11:14pm On May 08, 2012
Beaf: The African is the Africans worst problem.

There is [b]nothing [/b]intrinsically wrong with us, aside from the fact that we have failed miserably to deal with the twin trauma's of colonisation and the slave trade. Therefore, the average African exhibits a distinct lack of self belief, is clannish/bigoted, weak willed, quick to point fingers, loudmouthed, over-dressed etc. These factor all combine in a way that appears to give the African a lower IQ than the Global average.

We do not have a lower IQ; rather, we have a continent in emotional turmoil and a population plagued by a continent wide low self-esteem.

The reasons Africa has been unable to overcome the trauma's of the slave trade and colonisation is simple to figure out. The most powerful families who make up the upper echelons of the political classes across the continent were direct beneficiaries of the twin evils. They either took part in the slave trade or sold out to the colonial powers.
With these people continously recycled in the continents politics, there is little hope for rebirth. Traitors and the wicked cannot lead a rebirth, nor can they heal the trauma they are a part of. Congo that saw the worst violence (with 10 - 12 million massacred) will continue to be at war and to regress into the abyss.
As long as those families remain in power, they will block rebirth. And any they allow to rise to their stratospheric level will be beasts of their breed who will not rock the boat.

One example that stands out like a beacon to most of Africa is Ghana. That is one country that has successfully come to terms with its past as a slave center. It has apologised to Africans in the diaspora and offered free land and resettlement schemes; it has also undegone all sorts of traditional cleansing. All of these things impinge on the national psyche and have propelled Ghana forward on the democratic and developmental scales.
It is easy to bet that Ghana will become the first developed W. African state.

In comparison, Nigeria has places reknowned for slavery like Badagry, Brass, Arochukwu etc, but we do not give a damn. We have the same old ruling families running our lives, but its business as usual. Is it any surprise that the average Nigerian has no value for the happiness of their neighbour? No nation with such an appalling society can ever develop.

Africans do not have a lower IQ. In fact, the unusually harsh african environment probably biases africans to a higher IQ. I have my reasons for believing so. I believe that the reason that Africans appear "backwards" is because of the harsh african environment. Europeans benefitted from very long, old cultural heritage(most of their knowledge/inventions are actually not european in origin). This is a result of more lenient european environment which thus enabled free flow of information/ideas.

The other reason why europe is the way it is (western europe mostly) is the bubonic plague. One will almost never see this as cited as a reason for the advancement of western europe but most historians agree that this is the main reason why western europe look different from eastern europe. In fact, before the 1200's, 1300's europe did not look much different from africa.
Re: Theories To Explain The Backward State Of Africa by putro(m): 11:24pm On May 08, 2012
PROUD-IGBO:
One key reason (don't know about theory) is the lumping of incongruous groups/ethnicities together (with nothing in common but the colour of their skin) just for administrative convenience; following on from this is the African elite/ruling class the departing colonial masters handed over to, wanting to continue the status-quo for selfish/tribal reasons. Nationalists like Nkrumah, Zik and Kenyatta were more idealists than pragmatists and believed they could build and mould their new 'Nations' into a workable entity regardless of obvious imperfections and a faulty foundation. Though some Nations like Ghana seem to be getting away with it, others like Nigeria aren't so lucky. What needs to happen (as in the case of Rwanda) is for everyone to get their heads out of the sand and discuss their unique problems and finally reach an all-inclusive solution acceptable to all.
One thing you fail to understand is we are so much similar in our character and behavior but our thinking and reasoning is so far apart.
Re: Theories To Explain The Backward State Of Africa by Omarbah: 1:24am On May 09, 2012
I personally think that Africa needs justice. Africans needs a good judicial system to make sure that
those in grief won't see their oppressors get away with whatever they do. We need to solve our internal
problems. One good example is Nigeria. Igbos tend to hold a grudge against this country and they are
angry at what happened during the civil war. With the lack of justice, people stop feeling loyal to their
homeland. We also need to work toward economic development and achieve great things. It is the only way
that the future generations won't feel inferior to others. We need to heal our past through education and
teach the truth about slavery and colonization so that the same mistakes won't happen again. I don't think
we are supposed to apologize to anyone.
Black people in the diaspora are NOT Africans, they don't feel like they are anyway. I don't feel guilty about
slavery at all. It wasn't done by all ethnic groups on the continent.
Re: Theories To Explain The Backward State Of Africa by Beaf: 2:09am On May 09, 2012
OzReal:

I'm not exactly sure what it is about that quote you disagree with; neither did i state or imply that the whites are naturally more intelligent than black people. In fact, there nothing that vexes me more than hearing that statement. I believe I said that there is something inherently amiss with us, which I simply cannot give a rational explanation. However, let us be very practical here and answer these questions: Why is it that there is no developed nation on the African continent? Why is there no nation on earth where there is a black majority developed?

I'll state again that it is my fervent belief that our culture impedes our development. Granted, no one is born with a particular 'culture'; yet this is what we learn in our formative years. I cannot speak for other countries, but no matter how progressive we think we may be, the average Nigerian male or female is still very conservative when it comes to traditional practices. I stated earlier that we have unquestionable respect for elders, which I believe is very admirable for we Nigerians; however, I believe that this is a particular trait that has made the so-called leaders we have take us for granted everyday. Each time we criticize our leaders, we are branded as being disrespectful; thus, suffering in silence. This has made these guys continue unchallenged. While the after-effects of colonialism are still being felt in our country(e.g implementation of IMF and World bank policies), we Nigerians(leaders and citizens alike) are still our biggest problem.

It is strictly an African problem, bro. Its got nothing to do with being black, you will find that there are indeed developed countries peopled and led by blacks of African descent (the slaves sold by our ancestors).
Until we get to face the facts of our poor history, our societies will continue to go round in circles of confusion and bewilderment, brought on by our escapism. The parts we played in selling ourselves both to the colonial master and slave dealer needs to be faced squarely, because wether we admit it or not, the poverty of the many due to the corruption of the few is the same trade going on in a different guise, we just love to give it big names like "ethnic bigotry" and "corruption."

Barbados is developed (90% African descent).
Prime Ministers pic:

Bahamas (85% African) - 3rd richest country in the Western hemisphere by GDP (after the US and Canada).
Prime Ministers pic:
Re: Theories To Explain The Backward State Of Africa by Beaf: 2:17am On May 09, 2012
^
Those two guys above look like they could be Yoruba (top) and Igbo (bottom).
We need to look for our problems within ourselves.
Re: Theories To Explain The Backward State Of Africa by Nobody: 2:19am On May 09, 2012
^^^ What are you doing to change the trend??

Are you not part of the system?
Re: Theories To Explain The Backward State Of Africa by cold(m): 2:24am On May 09, 2012
There is no way we can address the underdevelopment of Africa without discussing the over-indulgence of Africans in religious deities.In fact,as far i'm concerned religion is a major hindrance to the develpment of African societies.Corruption & rudderless leadership all stem from the notoriously religious nature of the typical African nay the black man.Here is an excerpt from an article that puts it succinctly:

Mythologies hypnotize people, particularly early in childhood. They manipulate societies as
much as societies manipulate them. In Africa, mythological Gods - not scientific knowledge
- pervade African mindsets. These gods have the power of invading all areas of human life
(To a man with an empty stomach, food is God -Mahatma Gandhi). This is exemplified by
the following examples taken from the local press. A group of Imams in northern Nigeria
obstinately defends the idea that God commands all African men to grow beards in a certain
shape and a certain length. A young Mauritanian girl agrees with Core mutilation, veiling
and forced marriage ‘because god wants me to’. A preacher in Sudan explains the particular
way god wants wives to be beaten by their husbands. Still more telling is perhaps what is
not making news. Indeed, the African Christian mindscape, for example is full of truly
amazing weird winged anthropomorphic figures or humanoids such as phantoms, ghosts,
spirits, angels, archangels, guardian angels and devils. It is full of myths, such as divine
conceptions, immortality (pharaohs), after-lives, guiding stars, annunciations, miracles and
salvation – mythologies that predate Christianity.
These mythologies are kept alive with extensive rituals and celebrations. Mythological
indigenous knowledge, on the other hand, is filled with deities, spirits, superstitions,
fallacies, fictions, specters, phantasmagorias, chimeras, misconceptions, confabulations,
palavers, fantasies, and ancient cults, rituals and taboos. In many African languages the
word ‘god’, particularly in Islamic and Christian Africa, is continuously repeated throughout the day in salutations, enquiries, thanking, etc. Mythologies and superstitions are
by no means limited to Africa and to developing countries but African mythologies,
whether imported or home grown, are not helpful for bringing about a scientific culture and
is – under certain conditions - quite useless, if not counterproductive, to achieve sustainable
development. It is useless, for instance, for competing with China in low-tech industrial
goods, the main industrial competitor of Africa. There is an urgent need for de-deifying
African knowledge

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Tavershima Adyorough, Ortom's Aide Murdered In Makurdi; Wife Shot / Orji Uzor Kalu’s Mother, Brothers Join APC / FG Condemns Mali Coup, Demands Return To Constitutional Order

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 144
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.