Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,755 members, 7,824,164 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:53 AM

Theories To Explain The Backward State Of Africa - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Theories To Explain The Backward State Of Africa (21440 Views)

Why Africa Is Backward (pictures) / Pic : Gowon And Trudeau In 1973, Is Africa Moving Forward Or Backward??? / Can Someone Help Me Explain The 25% Issue Vs Popular Vote? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Theories To Explain The Backward State Of Africa by alienYOUTH(m): 1:06am On May 10, 2012
ROSSIKE:

The first thing required to return Africa to its former state of glory - which of course you're too brainwashed, misedsucated and ignorant to appreciate, is to TRAIN poeple like you in TRUE African history. Something you know ZERO about.

A brief synopsis:

Ahem... angry Ogbeni Rasque or wetin be ur name; i was thinkin of not dignifying ur tirade wit a retort cos u r obviously more educated @ googling stuff than i am, but it baffles me how someone who is so learned can be so low in morals as to vehemently attack my person when clearly we r deliberating on an issue here, abi did u see me abuse anyone on this 3 page long topic? It's obvious u lack skills in effective communication, or why else would u descend to unnecessary insults and violence...this trait i believe is one of the main reasons Africa is backward and constantly at war.

I never for once disputed the fact that Africa is the origin of life and civilization, thats wat even makes it more painful. Unlike you tho, i choose not to hold on to past achievement when clearly the present (where we are) and future (where we need to be) are clearly what matter. My theory still stands tho, that the smart ones (the ones u say invented writing and all u listed) migrated from here cos of sorry-a.s.s hostile narcissists like you who wouldn't let them know peace. Oya sidon there dey chop ur papa past achievements while i go out to conquer the world...then come back and "colonize" ur lazy brain. cool

By the way do u stutter or somethin, cos i'm wondering why u had to repost ur tired piece severally in a bid to get someone to read it. undecided
Re: Theories To Explain The Backward State Of Africa by Beaf: 1:27am On May 10, 2012
^
Your problem is that you are not objective about what led to our past failures and you seem to be overcome by the low self-esteem we have identified as a pillar of the problems present day Africa is bedevilled with.

You believe that you are inferior, we don't.
Re: Theories To Explain The Backward State Of Africa by ektbear: 2:51am On May 10, 2012
lmao

alienYOUTH...a deeply cynical and critical man.

A man after my own heart grin cheesy grin

Look dude, like I said. Rather than dwelling on our failures of the past, let's spend the next 1000 years kicking azz and taking names.

Bad stuff happened. But forget about it and don't let the past be a burden.

Human beings will be on this planet for a very long time (well, assuming we don't do something dumb like nuclear war grin ).

Just because you are behind now doesn't mean you will always be behind.

1 Like

Re: Theories To Explain The Backward State Of Africa by Master6(m): 1:32pm On May 10, 2012
I hope that d author of d post could read all I will write. There are quite a lot of problems all which must be tackled sufficiently! I am not talking abt Africa, I am regarding only Nigeria. Even so, I can only speak for d south west, of which I am a proud citizen.
1. Culture: I shall disagree with d poster dat referred to 'respect' as an obstacle. I believe respect is serving a really important function in d society. What I stand against is dat aspect of d culture dat solidly opposes all scientific innovations nd reinforces d believe in d unknown and supposedly dangerous spiritual realm. Any innovation must stand against strong disaproval because it will b considered blasphemous! Dis can also be seen in European cultures as there are frquent examples of their barbaric origins(e.g witch burning, sentencing of many gr8 philosophers nd scientists to unwaranted death). What must be noted here is dat d Europeans overcame their fear of the unknown nd truly invented 'science' nd made It their leader. Nigerians r stuck in d past, we cannot overcome our morbid fear of d 'unknown' nature_nd govern nd explore it!

2. Religion: this is a mere continuation of my argument on culture. We need to stop letting d church nd oda religious entities dictate our daily life activities and a significant aspect of the society. We need to make science d leader,only den can we make improvements technology wise nd only then can we build a truely gr8 nation.

3. D last is just 'luck'. We just avnt been lucky enough to av good leaders who will guide d people with our interests at heart. Some might want to argue dat there are some deeply religious countries that r considered successful by today's standards. They are able to govern themselves because in such states abt 95 per cent of d nation would abide by d religion! Nigeria is unmistably diverse. A state ruled by religion can compound issues nd create unwanted frictions, dis can be seen in d form of religious riots, boko haram amng odas. Before goin too far, I believe dat is anoda strng point against religion nd its harmful tentacles wc it has spread throughout d nation.

I hope it will be better on day, hopefully in my lifetime.
Re: Theories To Explain The Backward State Of Africa by Nobody: 2:23pm On May 10, 2012
logic101: Ross ike I admire your. Would you recommend some books for me to read

With all pleasure logic101

The Destruction of Black Civilization

By Dr Chancellor Williams

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Destruction-Black-Civilization-Issues-4500BC/dp/0883780305/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336656017&sr=8-1

The African Origin of Civilization: Myth or Reality?

By Cheikh Anta Diop

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-African-Origin-Civilization-Reality/dp/1556520727/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_b

The Mis-education of the Negro

By Carter G. Woodson

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Mis-education-Negro-Carter-Woodson/dp/0913543705/ref=pd_sim_b_3

(I would especially recommend the last book for people like alienyouth and nduchuks)
Re: Theories To Explain The Backward State Of Africa by Nobody: 2:36pm On May 10, 2012
One more thing. Can people please stop this nonsense about Africa being ''so far behind the world'' etc etc?

Fact is Africa IS catching up. Rapidly. The Africa of 2012 is far more developed than the Africa of the 1950s under colonialism. In terms of everything you care to mention, we have moved forward. Infrastructure, education, health, nutrition. Even politics. How many military dictatorships now exist in Africa? Almost none. 20 years ago probably half of Africa was ruled by military tyrants. So there is growing political sophistication on the continent. The result? Better governance. Today, 6 of the world's ten fastest growing economies are in Africa. The continent has become a beehive of investment and economic activity in the last decade, which has seen its middle class jump to 300 million, or 1/3rd the African population, from under 50 million in the 1980s.

The future is bright.

The future is African.

Instead of dreaming up stup.id theories of negativity, GET WITH THE PROGRAM, and use your time and brains to think of ways to contribute to the African Renaissance, like your peers across the continent.
Re: Theories To Explain The Backward State Of Africa by logic101: 8:42pm On May 10, 2012
ROSSIKE:

With all pleasure logic101

The Destruction of Black Civilization

By Dr Chancellor Williams

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Destruction-Black-Civilization-Issues-4500BC/dp/0883780305/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336656017&sr=8-1

The African Origin of Civilization: Myth or Reality?

By Cheikh Anta Diop

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-African-Origin-Civilization-Reality/dp/1556520727/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_b

The Mis-education of the Negro

By Carter G. Woodson

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Mis-education-Negro-Carter-Woodson/dp/0913543705/ref=pd_sim_b_3

(I would especially recommend the last book for people like alienyouth and nduchuks)

Bro Thanks for your booklist but i have read all books above.I want something more.
Re: Theories To Explain The Backward State Of Africa by kingkoboko: 11:02pm On May 10, 2012
Africa is backward because we're still being colonized till dis day. We'r still chained down inside d arbitrary boundaries created by Europeans at d 1884 Berlin Conference.

How do we move forward?

AFRICANS MUST SEEK SELF-DETERMINATION! Dis is d century of FREE NATIONS! South Sudan is free. Azawad is free. Biafra shall b free. Oduduwa, Arewa, Niger-Delta, Cyrenaica, Oromo, Acholiland & other African nations shall b free.
Re: Theories To Explain The Backward State Of Africa by jbrodaly(m): 7:54am On May 11, 2012
alienYOUTH:
To cut short d long tale; i believe there's something about our black skin that bleeds thru & corrupts our hearts and minds. We r naturally diabolical, myopic, selfish & take no responsibility for our actions, whilst our lighter skinned fellows r d exact opposite...or how else will u explain how they built d Titanic in 1912, whilst 100yrs later d whole african nation is yet to come up with a bicycle built from scratch.

When Isaac Newton sat under d proverbial apple tree contemplating all wat not & d fruit dropped on his head, that very day gravity was discovered. i hate to think of how many coconuts fell on my fellow African man's head without more result than a slight concussion & percieved curse from d gods.
I didn't know that there are some people who also have these thought like i do.It's like the black man has a black /dark heart.The excessive wickedness displayed by him is another thing that has kept Africa back.The irony of it all is that he is so religious.I Heard a white man spoke on BBC saying that-having spent more than 30 years in Africa he never saw any atheist black man.Until the day the black man show love to his neighbour,I'm afraid things will not change. If one should keep writing there might not be enough space for that.
Re: Theories To Explain The Backward State Of Africa by porka: 11:10am On May 11, 2012
shymmex: [/s]

The slave trade is non of my business - and I don't care about it... I'm talking about the control, Brussels, and Washington exerts over the policies in Africa... Yes, our leaders are utterly corrupt - but they're stooges...

Africa as far as I'm concerned is still under indirect colonization... The coup in Mali, and Guinea Bissau should be enough to prove people like you wrong... When the Malian coup took place - everything after the coup was under the supervision of France... Decisions were taken in Paris!

The same for Guinea Bissau - Portugal acted as the surrogate dad..

The government in Italy today was not elected by anybody sir. The decision was taken in Brussels as well.

India, Brazil, Indonesia, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, the United States of America were all colonized.

Everything bad that has happened to Africa has happened elsewhere, China for instance.

Paranoia, superstition, myopic inclinations, lack of planning etc are responsible for Africa's backwardness in my view.
Re: Theories To Explain The Backward State Of Africa by Dyamante(f): 11:37am On May 11, 2012
It is the divide and rule method employed by the Europeans that set us on the destruction path that we are in today.The fact that the colonialists considered certain tribes to be superior to others has contributed immensely to the current state of affairs. But they are not solely to be blamed for this because we Africans have condemned ourselves to this kind of mentality and unless we change we are doomed.

Also neo colonialism is a contributing factor..most of the African nations lean towards their former colonial masters who shove their policies and ideas down our throats that are detrimental for our growth in exchange for loans and grants. I salute Gaddafi because he proved that an african country can do without the western nations and prosper even more without them.

I can go on and on but until the day Africans take iniative and decide that WE are in charge of our own destiny is when things will get better for us
Re: Theories To Explain The Backward State Of Africa by porka: 11:37am On May 11, 2012
ROSSIKE: One more thing. Can people please stop this nonsense about Africa being ''so far behind the world'' etc etc?

Fact is Africa IS catching up. Rapidly. The Africa of 2012 is far more developed than the Africa of the 1950s under colonialism. In terms of everything you care to mention, we have moved forward. Infrastructure, education, health, nutrition. Even politics. How many military dictatorships now exist in Africa? Almost none. 20 years ago probably half of Africa was ruled by military tyrants. So there is growing political sophistication on the continent. The result? Better governance. Today, 6 of the world's ten fastest growing economies are in Africa. The continent has become a beehive of investment and economic activity in the last decade, which has seen its middle class jump to 300 million, or 1/3rd the African population, from under 50 million in the 1980s.

The future is bright.

The future is African.

Instead of dreaming up stup.id theories of negativity, GET WITH THE PROGRAM, and use your time and brains to think of ways to contribute to the African Renaissance, like your peers across the continent.

I agree with you sir.

Some of the new young African leaders are brushing off any emotional attachment to the past.

They seem like saying the past is past and we are here now.

Nevertheless, the new African leaders must begin to look at the bigger picture.

They should start planning big, 8 lane road instead of a single lane.

75000 megawatts of electricity instead of planning for 20 mw.

500 modern universities.

4th, 5th, 6th, 7th Mainland Bridges.

High-speed ultramodern railroads.

There's still room for more boldness and courage to take on the big challenge.

1 Like

Re: Theories To Explain The Backward State Of Africa by porka: 12:03pm On May 11, 2012
Dyamante: It is the divide and rule method employed by the Europeans that set us on the destruction path that we are in today.The fact that the colonialists considered certain tribes to be superior to others has contributed immensely to the current state of affairs. But they are not solely to be blamed for this because we Africans have condemned ourselves to this kind of mentality and unless we change we are doomed.

Oga, go to India and see tribes, super tribes and super super tribes in their socio-economic and political life.

Even Africans themselves considered (still considering) each other inferior.

It's our mind set we need to change bro.
Re: Theories To Explain The Backward State Of Africa by porka: 12:18pm On May 11, 2012
Master_1: I hope that d author of d post could read all I will write. There are quite a lot of problems all which must be tackled sufficiently! I am not talking abt Africa, I am regarding only Nigeria. Even so, I can only speak for d south west, of which I am a proud citizen.
1. Culture: I shall disagree with d poster dat referred to 'respect' as an obstacle. I believe respect is serving a really important function in d society. What I stand against is dat aspect of d culture dat solidly opposes all scientific innovations nd reinforces d believe in d unknown and supposedly dangerous spiritual realm. Any innovation must stand against strong disaproval because it will b considered blasphemous! Dis can also be seen in European cultures as there are frquent examples of their barbaric origins(e.g witch burning, sentencing of many gr8 philosophers nd scientists to unwaranted death). What must be noted here is dat d Europeans overcame their fear of the unknown nd truly invented 'science' nd made It their leader. Nigerians r stuck in d past, we cannot overcome our morbid fear of d 'unknown' nature_nd govern nd explore it!

2. Religion: this is a mere continuation of my argument on culture. We need to stop letting d church nd oda religious entities dictate our daily life activities and a significant aspect of the society. We need to make science d leader,only den can we make improvements technology wise nd only then can we build a truely gr8 nation.

3. D last is just 'luck'. We just avnt been lucky enough to av good leaders who will guide d people with our interests at heart. Some might want to argue dat there are some deeply religious countries that r considered successful by today's standards. They are able to govern themselves because in such states abt 95 per cent of d nation would abide by d religion! Nigeria is unmistably diverse. A state ruled by religion can compound issues nd create unwanted frictions, dis can be seen in d form of religious riots, boko haram amng odas. Before goin too far, I believe dat is anoda strng point against religion nd its harmful tentacles wc it has spread throughout d nation.

Could you explain the luck aspect please?

Yes, Japan is deeply religious, same for USA, UAE, Saudi Arabia etc.

Ok, it's good to wish good things in one's lifetime, however, great countries are built with future generations in mind.
Re: Theories To Explain The Backward State Of Africa by porka: 12:32pm On May 11, 2012
Arosa:

This is what I wrote two years ago, maybe it's relevant here as well. undecided

Sir, what about Somalia?
Re: Theories To Explain The Backward State Of Africa by porka: 12:34pm On May 11, 2012
gegee: other people get sense pass africans simple and short

No sir, other people use their senses more.
Re: Theories To Explain The Backward State Of Africa by porka: 1:12pm On May 11, 2012
MsDarkSkin: @ neuronin

Generally speaking, Africans have always been well traveled. Keep in mind our ancestors for the most part were nomadic.
Africans were very much part of the Greek, Roman, Persian, Mesopotamian, Assyrian; etc empires despite that fact being voided out of textbooks (an effort to hide our contributions to western civilization and the world at large). Not to mention our ancestors built magnificent empires and kingdoms of their own. But the issue is black people are too trusting of others but hateful to one another!

While other people may have tribal or national conflicts, when it comes to outsiders they will form alliances within their race to aid each other in fending off foreign attack (although S. Korea is an exception to that rule!). This is notable when the Celtic and Gaul peoples (western European in origin) and Greeks, all former enemies BTW, banded together against the ancient tribes of the middle east (Phoenicians) who sought to invade and control many parts Europe. Yes many of these groups incorporated African and foreign men into their armies but those men had to abide by the laws of that society. There were boundaries when it came to foreigners.

Africans will invite foreigners to help annihilate other Africans just to be victorious. In the Congo for example, when the government hired white South African mercenaries to help fight Congolese rebels, they not only paid them but gave these men the right to do as they please within Congolese borders. This included terrorizing, extorting and abusing their power on the people they claimed to be helping. That is what makes us different. That is what makes us weak. We are a docile people to others but very hard on each other....since the beginning of time.

Even those of us in the west who are descendants of slaves took that same mentality with us. This "extreme" tribalistic and "better them than us" mentality. During the 70s and early 80s, Jamaicans killed each other based on political influence just so that their white or biracial candidates could get into office and fulfill their promises of "Americanizing the nation". Lives lost for what? Better cars, clothes, and means to brag. ('Greedy chief' syndrome) Smh. Don't get me started on African American issues.

Readers pls. don't get me wrong, I am not "putting Africans/black people down". I am just saying at what point do we realize that our M.O. is failing us and accept that WE ARE THE PROBLEM?

We can write our own textbooks based on our own accounts.
Re: Theories To Explain The Backward State Of Africa by OzReal(m): 1:56pm On May 11, 2012
Master_1: I hope that d author of d post could read all I will write. There are quite a lot of problems all which must be tackled sufficiently! I am not talking abt Africa, I am regarding only Nigeria. Even so, I can only speak for d south west, of which I am a proud citizen.

1. In the interest of clarity, I've always said that respect is an admirable and good trait in we Africans; but it has also played a part in our stagnancy in the sense that it has made us very docile in our political climate because if we challenge or criticize the government, which is still dominated by the elderly in the society, we are or will be accused of being disrespectful of lacking in manners. Do not misinterpret this as me saying that our culture of respect is a bad thing that should be discarded.

2. I beg to differ that we have been unlucky with regards to our leaders. Luck has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with this. A people deserve the leaders they get. If we continue to wait for mother luck to have good leaders,instead of holding our leaders accountable, we would wait till eternity.
Re: Theories To Explain The Backward State Of Africa by OzReal(m): 2:12pm On May 11, 2012
Here are some suggestions that i think we should focus on to move our nation forward:

The first step would be to revisit the 1999 constitution, in order to amend some errors by the Military men who drew it up for their personal gains. Personally, I think a parliamentary system of government would be better for us to operate because it would be less expensive compared to the presidential system we currently operate.

Furthermore, what I think would be the most important step towards progress in our country would be a vigorous reformation and strengthening of our democratic institutions, especially the judiciary. Currently, what we have as the judiciary is an embarrassment to any democracy in the world; the magnitude of corruption in the judiciary is staggering to say the least. This is the same judiciary that dismissed all charges against one of the greatest looters/criminals this nation, perhaps the continent(Africa) has ever known. This is the same judiciary that would sentence a man who has stolen a tuber of yam to about ten years in jail, while gangsters and rogues like Bode George and Tafa Balogun were sentenced to a few months in jail. If we are to progress as a nation, there is no question that the judiciary must be reformed because it is our last hope in checking the excesses of men of questionable characters in governance.

These suggestion are based on the premise that a revolution cannot happen in Nigeria, therefore a gradual evolution would be the only way to reverse the current political trend.
Re: Theories To Explain The Backward State Of Africa by Arosa(m): 4:24pm On May 11, 2012
porka:

Sir, what about Somalia?

Somalia is liken to Shite and Sunni Muslims fighting each other. there is no homogeneity there. undecided
Re: Theories To Explain The Backward State Of Africa by Master6(m): 5:22pm On May 11, 2012
Yes sir. I agree about the respect issue to a certain extent....but its effects are not as grave as those I mentioned regarding d effects of culture...

Luck is also a factor.....after independence we made d wrong choices and chose the wrong leaders.
Re: Theories To Explain The Backward State Of Africa by VALIDATOR: 10:03am On May 16, 2012
The reason for the backward state of Africa is embedded in this thread.The same approach Africans use for problem solving is what is going on on this thread. Everybody just talks believing his opinion is the best thing that has ever happened to mankind even to the extend of ridiculing (and if possible,punishing) those who dare to think otherwise.

If we are serious about obtaining something tangible from this thread I believe we should adopt a scientific approach examining each opinion and not be ROSSIKEish in our attitudes.

The method I am suggesting is that we find a time in history when black Africa was at par with(or even ahead of) other parts of the world.We then genuinely examine what others did from that point forward that we didn't.
Re: Theories To Explain The Backward State Of Africa by TerryCarr(m): 2:35pm On Sep 07, 2012
https://www.nairaland.com/1036197/how-africans-under-develop-africa
[center]“HOW AFRICANS UNDER DEVELOP AFRICA ”[/center]
CredoWriters: Wakdok, Samuel Stephen.

Recalling our undergraduate days in the University of Jos , many of us in the department of Economics like others in Sociology, History, Political Science, Law etc were captivated by Walter Rodney’s book “How Europe Underdeveloped Africa”. The title was as inviting to those with Marxist philosophy/leanings as much as the content of the book. Dr. Rodney’s book is a clarion call for us to regret colonialism and chat down neo-colonialism. Of course the West has exploited and still exploits Africa ; her land, resources and people, but have they always done this alone? Has the West whether as explorers or colonialists, as investors or neo-colonialists, as Aid providers or Creditors succeeded in exploiting Africa without the active collaboration of Africans?

Without confining Walter Rodney’s book or title of his book to the recess of history, rather in trying to juxtapose his work on the reality that has revealed itself over time we must seek to elucidate “How Africans under develop Africa”. It is inundating and heart breaking to x-ray why Africa is underdeveloped and how Africans are still under developing Africa .

[b]In pre-colonial Africa , it was Africans who raided villages and towns especially on the west coast, captured fellow Africans and sold them as slaves to the white slave drivers. Lagos thrived on this and king Kosoko was very comfortable with slave trade in his domain. No sooner had Spain pulled out of Western Sahara in 1976 than Morocco invaded and annexed the territory. In spite of all the international outcry and pressure, atrocities are still committed against the people of Western Sahara .

[b]The capitalists assisted Mobuto Sese Seko to kill Patrice Lumumba in Congo renamed Zaire and now DR Congo. His remains was burnt to ashes, put in a plane and scattered over the country to prevent even his ghost from resurrecting. Mobuto went on to become one of the worst despots of all times and was richer than his country until the rebel forces of Laurent Kabila pushed him out in May 1997. Today after nearly two decades of wars and conflicts, DR Congo is among the most dangerous countries in the word. Despites having the largest contingent of UN Peace keepers in the world; it has been dubbed the rape capital of the world because of the mass velocity of rapes especially in its eastern region by both government and rebel forces.

When Idi Amin Dada took over power in Uganda in 1971 he taught the world a hybrid of what illiteracy, cruelty and power drunkenness can do. He did not spare any one be it his wife, Central Bank Governor, Archbishop or judges. Before he was ousted by Tanzania forces in 1979 he had turned Uganda ’s currency into toilet money and littered the streets of Uganda with blood of 300,000 Ugandans and Asians. Yoweri Museveni came to office in 1986 as a soldier and shouted to the world that the problem of Africa were despotic leaders. He just won another presidential term to rule Uganda despite opposition’s claims of rigging the elections. Joseph Koni’s the lord resistance Army rebel forces have been fighting a war in northern Uganda with atrocities like rape and limb cutting spreading into South Sudan, Central African Republic .

Robert Gabriel Mugabe became the white man’s nemesis in the then Southern Rhodesia after he successfully fought both the British colonialists and Ian Smith who had declared unilateral independence from Britain . A charismatic leader took Zimbabwe to independence in 1980 and it became one of the best economies in Africa . Today Mugabe is gunning for another term in 2012, and has helped the West to wreck Zimbabwe ’s economy with sanctions. Zimbabwe had the sole privilege of achieving what was called “run-away inflation” hitting millions in percent of inflation at the height of its economies and printing single currency of billion Zimbabwean dollars. One third of Zimbabweans live in exile or are seeking economic/political asylum.[/b]

The United States and Apartheid South African backed rebel forces UNITA led by Jonas Savimbi fought one of the bitterest civil wars Africa had ever seen in Angola against the Marxist regime of Dos Santos. It took the killing of Savimbi in February 2002 for the war to end. Today Angola is trying to rebuild but decades of war and Jose’ Eduardo Dos Santos 36 years in power have not improved the lot of average Angolans.

Master Sergeant Samuel Doe who shot himself into power in 1981 took Liberia to the brink until the civil war led by Charles Taylor broke out in 1989. The war destabilised the region of West Africa with many lives lost both citizens and peace keepers; and scattered Liberian refugees across West Africa for about 20 years. The war also spread to Sierra Leone because of the urge to control its diamond as a financing tool. Many citizens were brutally murdered and many others who survived were left limbless. Ivory Coast which was the model of political and economic stability and it once housed the headquarters of the African Development Bank had its serenity shattered after the 1999 coup of General Guei. The world’s number one producer of Cocoa experienced a bitter civil war between 2000 and 2003. The last presidential election stand off between Laurent Gbagbo and Allasan Quattara almost took Ivory Coast back to the precipice.

Togo, Gabon and Guinea all had despots who ruled for over 30 years with Togo and Gabon having the sons succeeding their fathers. Equatorial Guinea with its oil wealth has less than a million people. Yet the oil wealth has not improved the lot of the populace but only the family and cronies of President Teodore Obiang Nguema Mbasago who has spent over thirty years in power. He is also the current chairman of the African Union which boasts of a good number of sit tight leaders. Little wonder the African Peer Review Mechanism cannot add much value to Africa .

The wars between North and South Sudan which ended with the Comprehensive Pease Agreement of 2005 led to the independence of the South in July 2011 after more than a million deaths in one of Africa ’s longest wars. Western Sudan has also seen enough carnage since 2002 where the government back supporter of APC have been attacking the people of Darfur creating the world’s worst humanitarian crisis. Omar El Bashir is wanted by the International Criminal Court on charges of Genocide. Sudan was the first international headquarters of al qaeda which has seen the distribution of terrorism around Africa and the word. Somalia ’s case is seemingly hopeless, that country is the number one failed state in the world. After years of misrule by former leaders they have gone for twenty years without a functional government with tribal war lords, pirates and lately the Islamic extremist al shabash making the country lawless. About a million Somalis are now at the risk of death because of famine in the horn of Africa . Chad and Niger house the poorest regions of the world. The 2008 post election violence in Kenya left over a thousand people dead, closely replicated by the 2011 post election violence in Nigeria which killed over two hundred people. The story of Nigeria is a pathetic one. Once baptised the giant of Africa , a country with rich human and natural resources has been brought to the brink due to years of bad leadership. The mother of all carnages took place in Rwanda as the 1994 Rwandan genocide left an estimated one million people dead in 100 days. Sub-Saharan Africa’s last absolute monarch in the landlocked Swaziland only parades virgins on a yearly basis to choose a new wife from annually. He is mostly abroad and spends little or no time in his country.

The northern part of Africa which seemed to be better off economically was in the firm grip of despots. Revolutions in that part have left thousands dead, scattered the economies and disrupted tourism which was their mainstay. Libya ’s Gaddafi has given the west an excuse to seek to re-colonise that country.

From North to South, East to West except for a few countries and leaders, the story of Africa is the same. Economic woes, insecurity, civil wars, internal strives and conflicts, ethnic and religious cleansing, looting of public wealth, capital flight, lack of infrastructure and capacity development have become the hallmarks of Africa’s underdevelopment. With the vast presence of arable lands, ironically Africa is heavily dependent on food imports and food aids. With cheap and abundant labour, Africa cannot generate employment to transform her economy and empower her people.

The elasticity of corruption in Africa is like an unchained spirit. Trillions of dollars meant for the development of the continent have been stolen and stashed in foreign lands by African leaders both dead and living, past and present. The penchant for misuse of public goods and massive show of shamelessness are so high.

[b]Everything the developed West have ever done is first to secure the future of their citizens, but the reverse is the case in Africa . The military dictatorships in Latin America and Indonesia laid solid foundations for those regions economic success stories of today, where as the military juntas in Africa regrettably were the very ones who institutionalised corruption. The Greeks gave the world democracy, The Romans gave the world the Senate, the British gave the world a Parliament, and the United States gave the world the Presidency. In all these we see a commitment by both the leaders and the led to develop a system which will drive the transformation of their polity, economy and people. Democratic regimes have not done much to expedite the cause of Africa’s transformation; rather countries like Nigeria operate the most expensive yet wasteful democracies in the world. Africans have the highest impudence at breaking laws and over the years the rule of law does not hold any significance in the lives of the people especially those who have access to the tools of power. No African country is likely to the Millennium Development Goals by the target year of 2015, as basic as these goals are like poverty reduction, water and sanitation, reduction in infant and maternal mortality among the others. While people and leaders in other parts of the world are making progress to improve their nations and people, Africans are deliberately making efforts to under develop Africa . Africa has been underdeveloped with the blood of Africans on the streets of Africa more by fellow Africans than anyone else. Shame![/b]
Re: Theories To Explain The Backward State Of Africa by Rossikk(m): 3:18pm On Sep 07, 2012
^^^This is the typical combination of blind Afro-pessimism, hopelessness and bare-faced self denigrating lies that we need to do away with in order to prosper. This conditioned wastrel of a human being cannot think rationally or intelligently, but rather, is inclined to start and end all analysis of Africa from the point of absolute negativity, despite the numerous strides made by the continent since independence, including such strides as led to his own modern education where the British would normally have ignored such 'unnecessary pursuits' (see our 7% literacy rate at independence compared to 74% today courtesy of African rule). These are the sort of people we need to start to IGNORE, as we move forward. They bring absolutely nothing to the table except self-loathing, depression, negativity and hopelessness.
Re: Theories To Explain The Backward State Of Africa by TerryCarr(m): 3:25pm On Sep 07, 2012
Rossikk: ^^^This is the typical combination of blind Afro-pessimism, hopelessness and bare-faced self denigrating lies that we need to do away with in order to prosper. This conditioned wastrel of a human being cannot think rationally or intelligently, but rather, is inclined to start and end all analysis of Africa from the point of absolute negativity, despite the numerous strides made by the continent since independence, including such strides as led to his own modern education where the British would normally have ignored such 'unnecessary pursuits' (see our 7% literacy rate at independence compared to 74% today courtesy of African rule). These are the sort of people we need to start to IGNORE, as we move forward. They bring absolutely nothing to the table except self-loathing, depression, negativity and hopelessness.
a lot of people agree with that article https://www.nairaland.com/1036197/how-africans-under-develop-africa
Re: Theories To Explain The Backward State Of Africa by deley71: 6:34pm On May 01, 2013
A persistent question that many people have asked and continue to ask is why Africa is so backward technologically. This article seeks to address the issue of why Africa is backward technologically though there is some relationship also with why Africa is backward politically as well but that will not be addressed in this article

Is it a problem with IQ?

Theories abound, though controversial that the problem with Africans is low IQ. This is based on controversial research that the average IQ of Africans is lower than the average IQ of other races. For the purpose of this document it will be assumed – and shown to be irrelevant to the argument- that Africans have a lower average IQ than other races. If in fact this statement is true it still does not account for the very little contribution that Africa has made to global technological growth. The major reason being that inventions and discoveries are not a product of average IQs. Usually they are the product of one highly intelligent individual or a group of highly intelligent individuals working together to make discoveries. It stands to reason therefore that if any African can be found who has the same IQ as any of the many great inventors found all over the world then such an African could easily have been an inventor as well. Without providing any empirical evidence to support it, intuitively one can deduce that there are many Africans with a sufficiently high IQ like their counterparts in other parts of the world to be able to come up with inventions in spite of the fact that they are surrounded by many with low IQs bringing down the value of the average IQ. If it is possible to determine the minimum IQ that is required within the scientific community for one to be a potential inventor, then the ratio of Africans who lie above that line compared to the ratio of other races who lie above that line should also reflect somewhat linearly the ratio of inventions from Africans relative to other races in spite of figures showing relatively low average IQs from Africans. Obviously there must be other factors at play that have skewed inventions in far greater numbers for other races than for Africans

Society rejects innovators

One dominant factor that has kept Africans backward is the fact that societies throughout history have always rejected innovators. It is perilous to be an innovator, to buck the trend, to do things differently from the norm and that which is socially acceptable. Innovators must work surreptitiously and with great care in introducing their inventions to society in order not to incur the wrath of their communities. This was more so in ancient times than it is today. However, we live in a world where innovators are still viewed with some degree of suspicion but society has come to accept them a lot more than in earlier times

So what happened to innovators in Africa – Migrating rejects

They simply left. Innovators who were bold enough to challenge conventionally thinking typically ended up silenced and cowed, killed or fled. Fleeing from their communities means they were exposed to dangers and usually had to relocate to more hostile areas or had to survive alone without the support of belonging to larger societies. Those who survived such exile usually also had to tap into their innovative potentials in order to survive. They would build new societies/communities and these would in turn reject the new generation of innovators in their midst leading them to flee further outwards and survive on their innovative skills.

The genetic transfer

Innovative parents are more likely to produce innovative offspring than their counterparts. Newly created communities therefore have a higher likely hood of having a greater percentage of innovators in their midst than the societies that they left behind. As societies migrated outwards from Africa genetic influences resulted in societies having greater percentages of innovators in their midst. The exponential factor of higher relative numbers of innovators in newer societies over many centuries accounts predominantly for the large variation in innovation from Africa compared to other races. Compounded also by the fact that inventions lead to other inventions

The social evolution factor

As societies create inventions that impact positively on people’s lives the members of that society also become more receptive to inventions and innovations. Being innovative becomes more rewarding and less perilous. A society that has socially evolved to become tolerant of innovation is also more likely have more innovators coming forward. Africa is still largely stuck in the perilous state of resistance to innovation

Is innovation a function of IQ – Africans as replicators

While a correlation can be drawn between innovation and IQ, having a high IQ does not necessarily guarantee being an innovator. I have categorized Human intelligence into two very broad categories. The innovators and the replicators. Both categories of intelligence cut across the spectrum of both low and high IQ.

Replicators have a tendency to capture information or knowledge and to replicate it in a similar context. Generally they are able to recognize and are strongly attracted to what works while replicating it in the similar context whenever they encounter similar situations. They rarely try to delve too deeply into why it works but they recognize that it works and the higher the intelligence of the particular individual the better they are at replicating it in the proper context. I will not delve too deeply into the dynamics of how replicators process information except to recognize that they have a high capacity to replicate either correctly or incorrectly in context depending on the level of intelligence. Highly intelligent replicators are more likely to be leaders and they generally have higher emotional intelligence than innovators of equivalent IQ

Innovators are more likely to delve into underlying cause and effect in processing information and they generally are not very good at replicating in the proper context unless the underlying cause has been properly understood. The main template for human intelligence is replication intelligence and those who are classified as innovators are actually weak replicators with a greater bias for innovation than other replicators. Innovators also represent a small slice of the general population. Innovators are more likely to perform better on IQ tests because IQ tests are more biased towards testing the intelligence of innovators, however, replicators are quite capable of arriving at answers that innovators obtain on IQ tests though arriving at those answers through different brain processing mechanisms from innovators. The implication is that there are talents available to replicators that will not correlate properly with IQ tests because IQ tests are not designed to determine those kinds of talents. Highly intelligent replicators can very quickly acquire the skills that innovators created or invented and replicating it in the proper context. However, if there are substantial variations in underlying parameters replicators are more prone to misapply knowledge in the new context than innovators who have a grasp of the underlying cause/premise of the knowledge. While two individual may score equally on an IQ test one may be a replicator while the other is an innovator. It is proposed therefore, that races that have produced more inventions have a higher number of innovators in their midst even where average IQ is the same with other societies having fewer inventions but with more replicators. It is proposed that Africans have a disproportionately high number of replicators even where those individuals have high IQs

The Homogenous factor

While the dynamics that lead to the formation of large populations of homogeneous societies i.e one with a common language will not be discussed here, the impact on innovation is such that homogeneous societies represent a knowledge pool from which innovations lead to other innovations. Africa is made up of very small populations of many splinter groups of homogeneous societies leading to relatively small pools of knowledge bases and a lower exponential factor on the growth of innovations

These five points are the dominant factors that have led to Africans having the least contribution to global technological growth, innovations and inventions irrespective of IQ

1. Migrating rejects

2. Genetic transfer

3. Social evolution

4. Africans as replicators

5. Homogeneous factor
Re: Theories To Explain The Backward State Of Africa by thafanboy: 10:18am On Aug 13, 2014
Ok, quick history lesson so get comfortable...

The true reason why Africa is backwards is not IQ, but because firstly, Africans have never really been motivated socially to progress or advance. They're not technoligically inclined either. The generally nomadic lifestlye suited them, and they didn't have a reason to change.

Africans didn't start to be motivated to progress until they came into contact with other cultures--the first of which were the Arabs.

History shows that diversity (and to an extent competition) is what fuels progression. Because coming into contact with other groups stimulates growth. For a simple example of this, look at the level of advancement between Greeks compared to the advancement of Vandals and Vikings. Scandinavians were uncivilized and savage precisely because they weren't diverse and came into contact with no one other than un-advanced tribes, and perhaps Celtic tribes (the Celts were more advanced in terms of metal-working) to the South.

Meanwhile, while Northern European tribes were considered backwards by the Greeks, the Greeks were building cities, their artisans made statues, and they created the Olympics, and they theorized about the atom, democracy, and the Republic.
Why was this? Because Greeks were not only naturally industrious, but they had access via trade with the premier empires of the world and the cradle of civilization.

Unlike Africa, there was a free flow of ideas into Europe from Asia. Ideas traveled from Persia and Egypt to Greece. And Persia, Greece, and Egypt all benefited mutually from their interractions. Because the competition stimulated growth.

No real competition existed in Africa to stimulate such growth, because Africans as a people were nomadic and hadn't made cities until within the past 2000 years. While Babylon, Sumeria, and Akkadia had established cities all over the Cradle of Civilization: Mesopotamia.

The Greeks have much that they owe to the Sumerians and Akkadians, who invented farming and civilization. This meme quickly spread from Mesopotamia, reaching Egypt, the Indus valley (Mohenjo Daro), and then Greece.

Meanwhile, Chinese were establishing a civilization in the Yangtzee river valley.

But Africa just was too isolated. As before stated, isolationism stagnates growth. It was Babylonian and Sumerian ideas which made Greece great--thus Greece benefited from this free-flow of ideas. In fact, Greek knowledge of astronomy and science doesn't even touch Sumeria, who famously depicted the Sun being orbited by the various planets.

Rome, likewise, would have never become great if not for the exchange of ideas. Rome was, as some of you may know, initially a trading port established by Phoenicia. Phoenicia was located in modern-day Palestine and Lebanon. And Greece and Phoenicia colonized much of the Mediterranean.

Not only did the Phoenicians establish Rome, they established trading points all along North Africa. Which was the precursor to the Carthaginian empire.

After Phoenicia fell, Carthage and Rome emerged from the remnants of their civilization. Romans were highly uncivilized and took most of their culture from the Etruscans who lived nearby. However, as Rome became larger, they recieved an influx of Greek culture. By the time Rome controlled the entire Italian peninsula, Alexander the Great had already conquered the known word, bringing in new ideas from Persia, Egypt and even India.

But Greece was eventually conquered by Romans. The Greeks viewed Romans as savages with no culture, and the Romans were in awe of Greek culture, thus they adopted not only words from the Greek language into Latin, but they adopted the Greek pantheon, Zodiac, astrology, and all Greek science.

Thus we can see an unbroken archeological line where ideas moved from Mesopotamia (modern-day Iraq) and made it to Phoenicia (Palestine/Lebanon) and from there to the warring city-states in Greece.

After the Vandals and other tribes invaded Rome from Northern Europe and Scandinavia they knocked Europe back intellectually perhaps a 1000 years. And Europe experienced a Dark Age and became more isolated than it was during the days of Rome. Thus, there is a correlation between isolationism and lack of intellectualism. Coupled with anti-scientific Church suppression, Europe languished as a continent of warring Christian kingdoms and factions. They had virtually abandoned the legacy laid down to them from Greece, Sumeria, Babylon, and others.

Meanwhile, the Islamic conquest was taking hold in the Middle East. After Northern European tribes had defeated Rome, leaving Constantinople behind, Arab conquests took control of North Africa, Egypt, and Mesopotamia. While Europe languished in the Dark Ages, the Islamic Empire created the greatest civilization of the time. It imported the ideas from Rome and Greece and the old Persian culture. It didn't have to start from scratch, just like Rome and Athens never started from scratch. There is a reason Mali is often cited as one of the few examples of Sub-Saharan civilization - the adoption of Islam, brought there by Muslim Berber and Tuareg merchants. Islam also spread in the region by the founders of Sufi brotherhoods. Even then, because of the (sub-saharan) African lack of emphasis on the written word, events were recorded only by outside muslims introducing the religion. With this came Islamic manuscripts. However, while the North, West and East coasts (esp the Horn of Africa) benefitted from contact with muslim traders (mostly Arabs), the interior's population were still largely nomadic and isolated, with no real need/motivation to advance themselves.

Meanwhile, Alexandria was arguably the greatest center of intellectual thought. The Byzantines had the rest of the Great Library effectively destroyed, previously (because the church in Constantinople viewed science as heretical to Christianity). Thus Alexandria passed to yet another culture. This sparked intellectual growth in the Arabic Empire. Among other things, Al Gebra was invented there. "Algebra" as it's known today still possesses its Arabic name. The modern checking and banking system was established there, whereby Islamic traders would establish their presence in Africa and China. The number system was also established there. The numbers we use today "1, 2, 3, 4..." are called "Arabic numerals" as they were invented and used by Arabic traders.

Why was the Arabic Empire so successful? Because it was diverse and open. It connected with other cultures. Paper money was invented by the Chinese and the Arabs quickly imported this concept. The word "Check" comes from the Arabic word "cheque/cheq" since Arabic traders couldn't afford to bring gold with them on trading excursions, since they might be robbed.

After Europe opened itself back up to diversity and knowledge, after the Arabs had been defeated by Ottomans, who brought guns and cannons to Europe, the resulting period became known as the "Renaissance." The Renaissance (And you can read the work of historian Gavin Menzies on this) was largely funded by Chinese and Arabic capital. The Arabs had economic interests in Venice. However, the Spanish, Dutch, and Portuguese tried to find new routes of trade to China because. But the Arabic empire controlled a monopoly on most of the trade routes, so they could sell their products to Europe for higher prices because they viewed Europe as a new market for profit.

In the process, European explorers "discovered" the Americas. Once the Europeans started to colonize these areas, they brought in more capital--and the "Cold War" between the Arabic Empire and the European kingdoms was broken because the Arabs couldn't compete financially as Europeans had reached new markets. Thus, civilization started to return to Europe as the Middle East slunk into a Dark Age (that lasts today) and the Middle East and Europe traded places.

And that's the best summary as any that can be given for why Africans were always behind. They just weren't subject to the factors that made Indo-Europe and the Middle East great. As you can see, in the Old World, knowledge was shared and passed between peoples.

This was all thanks to the Phoenician, Sumerian, and Babylonian writing systems. The modern writing system we use today comes from Phoenician. Greeks developed their writing system centuries later to model the Phoenician system, and from the Greek and Phoenician alphabets emerged today's "Latin Alphabet" of the characters "A, B, C, D,..." and so on.

But no such writing system existed in Africa. Africans couldn't trade or exchange ideas because there was no writing system.

Thus, if you don't have the time to read the above summary, it boils down to six things.
SUMMARY: Trade, proximity, free-thought, diversity, trade routes, and written "PHONETIC" language from the Middle east helped the Old World become great.

Africans only had themselves, while Mesopotamia, being conveniently located in a "fertile crescent" surpassed them on all counts. Mesopotamia was also conveniently located within proximity to the Nile culture, as well as the Indus river valley (the Harappan civilization and Mohenjo Daro). Though, the Nile culture wouldn't exist for sometime after.

Anyway, thanks for your time. I realize this board isn't scientifically or intellectually inclined, and is instead nationalistically inclined, but I hopefully wasn't hurting anyone by stating facts.
Hopefully, there will be sensible responses.
Re: Theories To Explain The Backward State Of Africa by TerryCarr(m): 12:27am On Aug 14, 2014
thafanboy: Ok, quick history lesson so get comfortable...

The true reason why Africa is backwards is not IQ, but because firstly, Africans have never really been motivated socially to progress or advance. They're not technoligically inclined either. The generally nomadic lifestlye suited them, and they didn't have a reason to change.

Africans didn't start to be motivated to progress until they came into contact with other cultures--the first of which were the Arabs.
most of what you wrote was pure bull$hit, most of Africa is/was agriculturalist not nomads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FllyEu-QPTE
Re: Theories To Explain The Backward State Of Africa by angela992: 7:02am On Oct 11, 2017
Imperialism: The Bane of Africa’s Underdevelopment

Imperialism as could be seen is economic domination, subordination and exploitation of weak economies by the developed nations. Lenin V.1 made an interesting contribution of imperialism where he described imperialism as the highest stage in the development of capitalism.

http://www.scharticles.com/imperialism-the-bane-of-africas-underdevelopment/
Re: Theories To Explain The Backward State Of Africa by Nobody: 7:23am On Oct 11, 2017
Abeg Africa mumu too much.
APC alone is enough evidence.
Do we also blame Western imperialism for the glaring incompetence of the APC led govt ?

No long grammar is needed here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s32eInxqubw
Re: Theories To Explain The Backward State Of Africa by Nobody: 7:26am On Oct 11, 2017
angela992:
Imperialism: The Bane of Africa’s Underdevelopment

Imperialism as could be seen is economic domination, subordination and exploitation of weak economies by the developed nations. Lenin V.1 made an interesting contribution of imperialism where he described imperialism as the highest stage in the development of capitalism.

http://www.scharticles.com/imperialism-the-bane-of-africas-underdevelopment/
African mumu-ism summarized in a proverb:

"Onye kpọọ nkata ya nkịrịka nkata, agbatobi ejiri ya kpoo ahịhịa"

"If you regard your basket as a useless basket, your neighbors will convert your basket into a trashcan"

Re: Theories To Explain The Backward State Of Africa by Beloveth4: 2:19pm On Mar 27, 2018
I believe that our culture culture like you painted is actually true and Principally the FEAR factor is affecting. Other culture seems unbordered with SECURITy but SUCCESS and RELATIONSHIP. As pointed out in www.ipeakpowermine@.com.ng.The drive for Honour is prevalent in Developed countries than in others focusing on Respect.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Fayose Rubbishes APC Audio Clips On Ekiti Election, Says 'It Is Fake' / Bayo Onanuga's Wikipedia Page Edited To Include "Agbado Bishops" / Rivers Wins Soku Oil Wells From Bayelsa As Court Orders Map Error Correction

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 194
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.