Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,845 members, 7,820,944 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 04:25 AM

The Heroes Of Biafra(part 1) Lt Col Rolf Steiner Of Biafra 4th Commando - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Heroes Of Biafra(part 1) Lt Col Rolf Steiner Of Biafra 4th Commando (7761 Views)

Old Photo Of General Babangida, Lt. Col Dimka And Their Coursemates As Cadets / Photo: General Murtala Mohammed Shakes Hand With Lt. Col. Babangida In 1975 / Nigerian Army Jails Lt. Col., 15 Others Over Chibok Girls’ Abduction (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Heroes Of Biafra(part 1) Lt Col Rolf Steiner Of Biafra 4th Commando by Nobody: 7:07pm On Apr 22, 2012
Rolf steiner was a professional soldier of fortune born in Munich, Bavaria on January 3,1933. He rose to the level of Lt Commander of the 4th Commando Brigades in the Biafra Army during the Nigerian civil war . He was the son of a protestant father and catholic mother, steiner's father had been decorated in the first world war as part of manfred Von Richthofen Squadron. In 1967, while living in paris he made contact with former colleague Roger faulques who was organizing a mercenary unit for the newly independent Republic of Biafra . Steiner flew to port harcourt via Lisbon,portugal and enlisted into the Biafra army as a company commander . Steiner had success in the field and was given the responsibility of organizing the 4th Biafra commando Brigade as a Lt col. On may 25, 1968 they led a successful mission against a federal Nigeria air field in Enugu destroying six Russia made bomber and fighter aircraft. Steiner far from being a mercenary fought for the Biafra without Pay

1 Like

Re: The Heroes Of Biafra(part 1) Lt Col Rolf Steiner Of Biafra 4th Commando by naptu2: 7:11pm On Apr 22, 2012
I like this!
Re: The Heroes Of Biafra(part 1) Lt Col Rolf Steiner Of Biafra 4th Commando by NegroNtns(m): 7:13pm On Apr 22, 2012
How about Effiong, hero or not?
Re: The Heroes Of Biafra(part 1) Lt Col Rolf Steiner Of Biafra 4th Commando by ak47mann(m): 7:13pm On Apr 22, 2012
his my main man on Facebook cool cool cool
Re: The Heroes Of Biafra(part 1) Lt Col Rolf Steiner Of Biafra 4th Commando by Onlytruth(m): 7:17pm On Apr 22, 2012
Biafra4tharmy: Rolf steiner was a professional soldier of fortune born in Munich, Bavaria on January 3,1933. He rose to the level of Lt Commander of the 4th Commando Brigades in the Biafra Army during the Nigerian civil war . He was the son of a protestant father and catholic mother, steiner's father had been decorated in the first world war as part of manfred Von Richthofen Squadron. In 1967, while living in paris he made contact with former colleague Roger faulques who was organizing a mercenary unit for the newly independent Republic of Biafra . Steiner flew to port harcourt via Lisbon,portugal and enlisted into the Biafra army as a company commander . Steiner had success in the field and was given the responsibility of organizing the 4th Biafra commando Brigade as a Lt col. On may 25, 1968 they led a successful mission against a federal Nigeria air field in Enugu destroying six Russia made bomber and fighter aircraft. Steiner far from being a mercenary fought for the Biafra without Pay

A very RARE man and a hero to my people.
May God grant him absolution and eternal rest reserved only for those who fought on the side of justice. Amen! cool
Re: The Heroes Of Biafra(part 1) Lt Col Rolf Steiner Of Biafra 4th Commando by Willywilly9: 7:19pm On Apr 22, 2012
Negro_Ntns: How about Effiong, hero or not?
Hero
Re: The Heroes Of Biafra(part 1) Lt Col Rolf Steiner Of Biafra 4th Commando by Mowire: 7:31pm On Apr 22, 2012
Is this not the one that had the best weapon supplies the from Biafran authorities and throw "carnivals" before going to the front.
Which books have you been reading?
Re: The Heroes Of Biafra(part 1) Lt Col Rolf Steiner Of Biafra 4th Commando by NegroNtns(m): 7:40pm On Apr 22, 2012
Thank you Willy!

To all those calling Steiner a hero,

Britain supported your enemy and they supplanted their agents, amongst whom was Steiner, in Biafra to collect tactical data, in addition to earning foreign currency. You are bufuddled by his German citizenship to think he was on your side. . . dude worked for British government. Did you not know this? I am surprised an agent of your enemy is your HERO!!
Re: The Heroes Of Biafra(part 1) Lt Col Rolf Steiner Of Biafra 4th Commando by Onlytruth(m): 7:42pm On Apr 22, 2012
Mowire: Is this not the one that had the best weapon supplies the from Biafran authorities and throw "carnivals" before going to the front.
Which books have you been reading?

How did that change his heroics and the fact that he fought for Biafra FREE OR CHARGE?
Some of you have no souls, honestly.
Re: The Heroes Of Biafra(part 1) Lt Col Rolf Steiner Of Biafra 4th Commando by Onlytruth(m): 7:43pm On Apr 22, 2012
Negro_Ntns: Thank you Willy!

Britain supported your enemy and they supplanted their agents, amongst whom was Steiner, in Biafra to collect tactical data, in addition to earning foreign currency. You are bufuddled by his German citizenship to think he was on your side. . . dude worked for British government. Did you not know this? I am surprised an agent of your enemy is your HERO!!

What are you about on this thread?
Did anyone say that Effiong is not a die hard Biafran hero?
Isn't this about Steiner?

My friend do you even have shame at all?
Re: The Heroes Of Biafra(part 1) Lt Col Rolf Steiner Of Biafra 4th Commando by Willywilly9: 7:49pm On Apr 22, 2012
Negro_Ntns: Thank you Willy!

go sidon for dirty,
Effiong and Steiner are Heros
Re: The Heroes Of Biafra(part 1) Lt Col Rolf Steiner Of Biafra 4th Commando by NegroNtns(m): 8:10pm On Apr 22, 2012
I love both of them for different reasons.

I love the wisdom and heroism of Effiong for approaching Obasanjo with an article of surrender and thereby bringing closure to the sufferings of the refugees.

I love Steiner for his enterprising no nonsense and whipping Ibo boys into line of fire while he himself remains undercover and remote from the heat of gunpowder and explosions. I dont consider him a hero but a soldier of fortune. . . he fights for money, not for a cause. . . .he could care less what your problem is he is there to sheperd your sons to shed blood on the front line and get paid for that job. Steiner himself contributed nothing to your enemy's bloodshed. If he was such a great soldier and a heroic fighter I bet you he will be in German Army or NATO and as a high ranking commander, not in Africa - Congo, Biafra, South Sudan, Uganda. . . .
Re: The Heroes Of Biafra(part 1) Lt Col Rolf Steiner Of Biafra 4th Commando by nduchucks: 8:16pm On Apr 22, 2012
Onlytruth:

May God grant him absolution and eternal rest reserved only for those who fought on the side of justice. Amen! cool

Eze, you crown will soon be withdrawn. As stated by Negro_Ntn, Britain supported your enemy and they supplanted their agents, amongst whom was Steiner, in Biafra to collect tactical data, in addition to earning foreign currency. You are bufuddled by his German citizenship to think he was on your side. . . dude worked for British government.

You should hide your head in shame. olodo
Re: The Heroes Of Biafra(part 1) Lt Col Rolf Steiner Of Biafra 4th Commando by Nobody: 8:19pm On Apr 22, 2012
Negro_Ntns: I love both of them for different reasons.

I love the wisdom and heroism of Effiong for approaching Obasanjo with an article of surrender and thereby bringing closure to the sufferings of the refugees.

I love Steiner for his enterprising no nonsense and whipping Ibo boys into line of fire while he himself remains undercover and remote from the heat of gunpowder and explosions. I dont consider him a hero but a soldier of fortune. . . he fights for money, not for a cause. . . .he could care less what your problem is he is there to sheperd your sons to shed blood on the front line and get paid for that job. Steiner himself contributed nothing to your enemy's bloodshed. If he was such a great soldier and a heroic fighter I bet you he will be in German Army or NATO and as a high ranking commander, not in Africa - Congo, Biafra, South Sudan, Uganda. . . .
. We must honestly appreciate those who gave their lives for us. Steiner is a hero!
Re: The Heroes Of Biafra(part 1) Lt Col Rolf Steiner Of Biafra 4th Commando by Jakumo(m): 8:30pm On Apr 22, 2012
I would like to hear from the Biafra historians in the house about the legendary Swedish combat pilot, Count Von Rosen, who reportedly flew antique WW2 reconnaissance aircraft that had been retro-fitted with missile launchers that strafed the crap out of federal troops.

Also, if there is someone who knows about the fabled Uli Airstrip near Uhiala, which consisted of a simple widening of the road for a distance of mile or so, I would love to hear some more detailed history. I recall hearing tales of drums filled with burning oil that served as runway marker lights for night landings, that could only be lit up for very short durations of time, so as not to attract the attention of federal MIG fighter jets prowling the night skies above.

Nndiigbo scholars of the Biafran war, let us hear your accounts of those wild times.
Re: The Heroes Of Biafra(part 1) Lt Col Rolf Steiner Of Biafra 4th Commando by Mowire: 9:55pm On Apr 22, 2012
Onlytruth:

How did that change his heroics and the fact that he fought for Biafra FREE OR CHARGE?
Some of you have no souls, honestly.

@onlytruth I'm dissappointed in you. Is your claim according to Forsyth or Ojukwu? From some other participants in the war on Biafran side, Steiner was bad news. Even Forsyth's(I blv I have the name right) account did not present him as a serious man.
Re: The Heroes Of Biafra(part 1) Lt Col Rolf Steiner Of Biafra 4th Commando by Nobody: 10:37pm On Apr 22, 2012
Jakumo: I would like to hear from the Biafra historians in the house about the legendary Swedish combat pilot, Count Von Rosen, who reportedly flew antique WW2 reconnaissance aircraft that had been retro-fitted with missile launchers that strafed the crap out of federal troops.

Also, if there is someone who knows about the fabled Uli Airstrip near Uhiala, which consisted of a simple widening of the road for a distance of mile or so, I would love to hear some more detailed history. I recall hearing tales of drums filled with burning oil that served as runway marker lights for night landings, that could only be lit up for very short durations of time, so as not to attract the attention of federal MIG fighter jets prowling the night skies above.

Nndiigbo scholars of the Biafran war, let us hear your accounts of those wild times.
. Count Carl Gustaf Ericsson Von Rosen (August 19,1909-july 13,1977) his mission in Biafra includes flying a Dc-7 from sao Tome to Uli at önly a little above sea level in August 1968. He formed a squadron called Babies of Biafra which launched a surprise attack against Federal troops at Enugu, Portharcourt,BENIN etc and destroyed a number of expensive jets including a few MIG-17 fighters and 3 nigeria Ilyushin 11-28 bombers

2 Likes

Re: The Heroes Of Biafra(part 1) Lt Col Rolf Steiner Of Biafra 4th Commando by NegroNtns(m): 1:12am On Apr 23, 2012
Mowire:

@onlytruth I'm dissappointed in you. Is your claim according to Forsyth or Ojukwu? From some other participants in the war on Biafran side, Steiner was bad news. Even Forsyth's(I blv I have the name right) account did not present him as a serious man.

These clowns have either forgotten or are not-intimate with the account that Ojukwu fired Steiner.
Re: The Heroes Of Biafra(part 1) Lt Col Rolf Steiner Of Biafra 4th Commando by dayokanu(m): 1:18am On Apr 23, 2012
I dey laff
Re: The Heroes Of Biafra(part 1) Lt Col Rolf Steiner Of Biafra 4th Commando by Mowire: 1:25am On Apr 23, 2012
Negro_Ntns:

These clowns have either forgotten or are not-intimate with the account that Ojukwu fired Steiner.

You dey mind them? They're almost impossible to "educate".
Re: The Heroes Of Biafra(part 1) Lt Col Rolf Steiner Of Biafra 4th Commando by Ibangap(m): 3:58am On Apr 23, 2012
Is this the Steiner dat Ojkwu sent packing 4 betrayal? Or hav u anoda hero named Steiner other than dat undercover b.arstard?
Re: The Heroes Of Biafra(part 1) Lt Col Rolf Steiner Of Biafra 4th Commando by Jakumo(m): 5:06am On Apr 23, 2012
Biafra4tharmy: . Count Carl Gustaf Ericsson Von Rosen (August 19,1909-july 13,1977) his mission in Biafra includes flying a Dc-7 from sao Tome to Uli at önly a little above sea level in August 1968. He formed a squadron called Babies of Biafra which launched a surprise attack against Federal troops at Enugu, Portharcourt,BENIN etc and destroyed a number of expensive jets including a few MIG-17 fighters and 3 nigeria Ilyushin 11-28 bombers

What an amazing character. Thank you for this information on the dreaded Count Von Rosen, Biafra5thArmy. One of these days I hope to put together a semi-fictional novel populated by such Dogs of War, hopefully with a fresh approach to the topic that avoids bowrrowing any plot development from Frederick Forsyth's classic tale on the subject.
Re: The Heroes Of Biafra(part 1) Lt Col Rolf Steiner Of Biafra 4th Commando by naptu2: 5:14am On Apr 23, 2012
I remember reading about "the slap" in quite a few places. I've found one.

On the Biafran side, while still trying to infiltrate the Midwest, Ojukwu announced in November that he had dismissed eight ( 8 ) white mercenaries, including Colonel Rolf Steiner, following allegations of indiscipline and piracy, including the waylaying of CARITAS relief supplies.  Steiner apparently encouraged his special 4th Commando Brigade to commandeer not only food and drink, but also women.  These acts did not go down well with regular Biafran units who were already seething with envy over Ojukwu’s preferential treatment of Steiner and his unit. In fact, according to Mr. Jensen of Radio Denmark, Steiner had been ordered to use the 4th Commando Brigade to lead “Operation Hiroshima” – the unsuccessful Biafran attempt to recapture Onitsha. When he lost over half of his troops in that operation, Steiner accused Ojukwu of murdering his men and slapped him in anger. But for Ojukwu’s intervention Steiner would have been shot immediately by Ojukwu’s bodyguards.  He was, however, arrested and then expelled from Biafra the following day.  Brigadier Conrad Nwawo took over command of the 4th Commando Division.  [Nwawo is a former Nigerian Defence Attache in London. He was the one who secured the surrender of Major CK Nzeogwu to Major General Ironsi in January 1966, and was the last Commander of Midwestern 4th Area Command prior to the Biafran invasion of the Midwest in August 1967.]

http://www.dawodu.com/omoigui28.htm
Re: The Heroes Of Biafra(part 1) Lt Col Rolf Steiner Of Biafra 4th Commando by dayokanu(m): 5:33am On Apr 23, 2012
naptu2: I remember reading about "the slap" in quite a few places. I've found one.

On the Biafran side, while still trying to infiltrate the Midwest, Ojukwu announced in November that he had dismissed eight ( 8 ) white mercenaries, including Colonel Rolf Steiner, following allegations of indiscipline and piracy, including the waylaying of CARITAS relief supplies.  Steiner apparently encouraged his special 4th Commando Brigade to commandeer not only food and drink, but also women.  These acts did not go down well with regular Biafran units who were already seething with envy over Ojukwu’s preferential treatment of Steiner and his unit. In fact, according to Mr. Jensen of Radio Denmark, Steiner had been ordered to use the 4th Commando Brigade to lead “Operation Hiroshima” – the unsuccessful Biafran attempt to recapture Onitsha. When he lost over half of his troops in that operation, Steiner accused Ojukwu of murdering his men and slapped him in anger. But for Ojukwu’s intervention Steiner would have been shot immediately by Ojukwu’s bodyguards.  He was, however, arrested and then expelled from Biafra the following day.  Brigadier Conrad Nwawo took over command of the 4th Commando Division.  [Nwawo is a former Nigerian Defence Attache in London. He was the one who secured the surrender of Major CK Nzeogwu to Major General Ironsi in January 1966, and was the last Commander of Midwestern 4th Area Command prior to the Biafran invasion of the Midwest in August 1967.]

http://www.dawodu.com/omoigui28.htm

So Steiner actually bitchslapped Ojuku? And our Eze Wuruwuru on NL has this to say about a man who slapped the greatest Igbo coward to ever live

Onlytruth:

Re: The Heroes Of Biafra(part 1) Lt Col Rolf Steiner Of Biafra 4th Commando by naptu2: 5:39am On Apr 23, 2012
Rolf Steiner, 4th Biafran Commando Brigade.

Steiner was the stuff of legend. Born in Germany in 1933, he enlisted in the French Foreign Legion when he turned 17.

Steiner originally served in Viet Nam against the Viet Minh, then in Algeria against the FLN, but was dismissed from the Legion after his membership in the anti-government OAS was revealed.

While living in France, he heard of the Biafran cause, and enlisted with their army following independence, becoming a Biafran citizen in the process. Unlike other Soldiers of Fortune, Steiner was passionate about Biafra, and did not receive any pay for his efforts beyond room and board. After achieving a level of success and rising to the level of Lt. Colonel in the Biafran Army, he eventually quarreled with President Ojukwu and his staff. Some say it was driven by jealousy from other Biafran commanders, who resented the preferential treatment given Steiner. Steiner was dismissed along with five other mercenaries and led out of the country in handcuffs.

He later organized and led rebel Anya-Nya Christian forces in the Sudan, because of his belief in their plight, doing so for very little pay. He was arrested while traveling back through Kampala, Uganda and flown to Khartoum, Sudan, where he was imprisoned. After being beaten and sadistically tortured for three years, he was finally released following pressure by the West German government.

His autobiography, The Last Adventurer, was published in the 1970s. It is a fascinating read if you can find a copy.

http://www.myspace.com/rememberbiafra
Re: The Heroes Of Biafra(part 1) Lt Col Rolf Steiner Of Biafra 4th Commando by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 7:32am On Apr 23, 2012
The Child soldier is much more deserving of the hero award, if he still lives. Though, i am against Child soldiers in time of war or peace.
Re: The Heroes Of Biafra(part 1) Lt Col Rolf Steiner Of Biafra 4th Commando by Nobody: 11:34am On Apr 23, 2012
Bliss4Lyfe: The Child soldier is much more deserving of the hero award, if he still lives. Though, i am against Child soldiers in time of war or peace.
. Thats Bravery
Re: The Heroes Of Biafra(part 1) Lt Col Rolf Steiner Of Biafra 4th Commando by ak47mann(m): 3:27pm On Apr 23, 2012
The second invasion was war b/w us and Britain.It was actually a British war against Ndi Igbo.Even though,the Delta Igbos were not part of the Eastern Region then but they were made to suffer the same inhumanity to fellow man like the Igbos of the hinterland.It was made easy because most of the baracks and the Armory were sited in the north and most of the Army personnel,especially the recruits then were from the North.Even though,majority of the high ranked Igbo officers then were Igbos but the recruits turned against their supreme officers under the command of Muritala Muhammed,Theophilus Danjuma and Dankad Bali,Joshua Dogonyaro and the rest.You can see many of them are Christians of the Middle Belt.When the Christians of the MIddle Belt were busy carrying out British agenda.The Muslims of the same North were busy caring out the agenda of Usman Dan fodio,which was handed over to his great grand son,Amadu Bello.the then Premier of the Northern Region.After the weakening of the Igbos,the Jihadists confronted the Christian Northerners and diminished their military might, by the help of Buhari and IBB.The Northern military rulers became enemies of themselves and their people.You know it's not easy to turn monkeys to human being,so every body is crying.Few are rich,but majority dwell in abject poverty.That's the nemesis.That is the nemesis.The Yoruba people and the smaller tribes,who had foolishly followed the North out of fear,were never seen as friends of the North.Any Yoruba political leader who has Yoruba Agenda in his hand will be pulled down,that is the reason Obasanjo was imposed on the Yorubas and he eventually proved to them he has no Yoruba agenda in his hand.Now they're crying for foul play by the Northern dominated Military oligachy.In other to side line Ndi Igbo,the entire tribes in the country suffered.

1 Like

Re: The Heroes Of Biafra(part 1) Lt Col Rolf Steiner Of Biafra 4th Commando by ak47mann(m): 3:34pm On Apr 23, 2012
dayokanu:

So Steiner actually bitchslapped Ojuku? And our Eze Wuruwuru on NL has this to say about a man who slapped the greatest Igbo coward to ever live

cant you ever talk with sense? you think i cant disrespect your people? don't play with fire you cant handle cool
Re: The Heroes Of Biafra(part 1) Lt Col Rolf Steiner Of Biafra 4th Commando by dayokanu(m): 4:17pm On Apr 23, 2012
ak47mann: cant you ever talk with sense? you think i cant disrespect your people? don't play with fire you cant handle cool

Which of them is your "people" Or are you trying to claim Steiner as your people or Is Eze Igbo Wuruwuru NL Onlylies is your ppl?

Onlylies made a senseless comment which shows how empty his skull is regarding his peoples history yet you are bleating like a castrated Donkey
Re: The Heroes Of Biafra(part 1) Lt Col Rolf Steiner Of Biafra 4th Commando by yarodin: 4:49pm On Aug 26, 2012
This is the problem with some Yoruba manu on NR, they love to lie just to prove a useless point. Ojukwu at a very young age bitch slapped a white man and nothing happened. Ojukwu was probably one of the few Africans that travelled and lived in Europe during his time. For any fool to believe that a Commander in Chief can be slapped in the presence of his subordinates is really a big fool.
Re: The Heroes Of Biafra(part 1) Lt Col Rolf Steiner Of Biafra 4th Commando by na2day(m): 6:31pm On Aug 26, 2012
naptu2: Rolf Steiner, 4th Biafran Commando Brigade.

Steiner was the stuff of legend. Born in Germany in 1933, he enlisted in the French Foreign Legion when he turned 17.

Steiner originally served in Viet Nam against the Viet Minh, then in Algeria against the FLN, but was dismissed from the Legion after his membership in the anti-government OAS was revealed.

While living in France, he heard of the Biafran cause, and enlisted with their army following independence, becoming a Biafran citizen in the process. Unlike other Soldiers of Fortune, Steiner was passionate about Biafra, and did not receive any pay for his efforts beyond room and board. After achieving a level of success and rising to the level of Lt. Colonel in the Biafran Army, he eventually quarreled with President Ojukwu and his staff. Some say it was driven by jealousy from other Biafran commanders, who resented the preferential treatment given Steiner. Steiner was dismissed along with five other mercenaries and led out of the country in handcuffs.

He later organized and led rebel Anya-Nya Christian forces in the Sudan, because of his belief in their plight, doing so for very little pay. He was arrested while traveling back through Kampala, Uganda and flown to Khartoum, Sudan, where he was imprisoned. After being beaten and sadistically tortured for three years, he was finally released following pressure by the West German government.

His autobiography, The Last Adventurer, was published in the 1970s. It is a fascinating read if you can find a copy.

http://www.myspace.com/rememberbiafra

you missed a point!
He started his adventure as member of Hitler youths that stood against the Russian horde during the last days of ww2 grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

You Were Late Osinachi’s Secret Lover, You Made Her Husband Jealous – Kemi / Bureaucracy, Cash Crunch Stall E-Passport Issuance / Us Did Not Predict Nigeria’s Break-up In 2015 – Ambassador Mcculley

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.