Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,895 members, 7,810,440 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:06 AM

Bureaucracy, Cash Crunch Stall E-Passport Issuance - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bureaucracy, Cash Crunch Stall E-Passport Issuance (7746 Views)

Not All Types Of Passport Issuance Have Timeline Of Two Weeks, Says NIS / Vote-Buying: Politicians Plot New Strategies To Bypass Cash Crunch / Cash Crunch: Governors Push Out Palliatives In States (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bureaucracy, Cash Crunch Stall E-Passport Issuance by Great100000: 2:48am On Mar 08
There is a looming scarcity of passport booklets due to a cash crunch, it was learnt yesterday.

Service providers are owed billions, while printed booklets are stuck in warehouses over debts.

Also, bureaucratic bottlenecks over the remittance of Nigeria Immigration Services (NIS’) share of revenues from passport issuance have become a major obstacle.

The situation is threatening to derail reforms initiated by the Federal Government to ease the burden of e-passport issuance.

It was learnt that booklets have been exhausted.

The e-passport reform is faced with bureaucratic challenges, especially with the Treasury Single Account (TSA).

The TSA is said to have become inactive as officials are yet to address all stakeholder concerns regarding funds distribution challenges.

TSA refers to a public accounting system using a single account or a set of linked accounts by the government to ensure all revenue receipts and payments are done through a Consolidated Revenue Account (CRA) at the CBN.

The development has made it difficult for the NIS to access funds to offset huge debts running into billions of naira owed service providers.

Minister of Interior, Dr Olubunmi Tunji-Ojo, had initiated reforms that led to the clearance of over 200,000 passport backlogs.

However, the current situation may result in another accumulation if not urgently addressed.

Findings by our correspondent in Gwagwalada and the Headquarters of the NIS in Abuja indicated that applicants are having a tough time obtaining the document.

There were also complaints from Alausa, Alimosho, and Ikoyi passport offices in Lagos.

Top officials of the NIS who spoke with our reporter in confidence said the Service should not be blamed for impending passport scarcity.

One of them said: “Let me give you an example.

“The cost of the 32-page passport booklet outside Nigeria is $132, while the cost of the 64-page category is $230.

“If an application is made outside Nigeria, the payment goes straight into the federal account which is shared amongst the three tiers of government.

“The NIS has no control over the money that comes in from abroad.

“The revenues from abroad form 50 per cent of the entire proceeds for passport issuance.

“For the ones paid for in Nigeria, we not only have to apply for funds before we are considered, but all services related to the printing of fresh passports and payment of other service providers in the value chain are from that 50 per cent.

“So, our application goes through many agencies of government while we keep our service providers waiting until we fulfil all righteousness before we can pay them.”

Within the past year, no fewer than 105,000 e-passport booklets have been printed.

These include 35,000 copies of the 32-page category and 70,000 copies of the 64-page.

Another source said: “At present, the 32-page category has been exhausted due to its high demand.

“This means that there is already a scarcity of passports.”

According to the source, there are 48 passport-issuing outlets outside Nigeria, with 44 in the country

The source explained that there are booklets to be delivered to the NIS by the printers, but they are stuck at Customs and courier warehouses because of huge debts.

It was learnt that Customs and DHL are among the service providers insisting on payment of their outstanding debt before the documents are released.

NIS Public Relations Officer, Dr Dotun Aridegbe, a Comptroller of Immigration, could not be reached to confirm the developments.

He did not pick up his calls and had yet to reply to text messages on his WhatsApp as of the time of filing this report.
Source: https://thenationonlineng.net/bureaucracy-cash-crunch-stall-e-passport-issuance/

1 Like

Re: Bureaucracy, Cash Crunch Stall E-Passport Issuance by Caramia2020(m): 3:03am On Mar 08
Scarcity? When will the body system of Nigeria function effectively? It's well.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bureaucracy, Cash Crunch Stall E-Passport Issuance by Chibuzoripob: 4:24am On Mar 08
grin cheesy grin grin
Re: Bureaucracy, Cash Crunch Stall E-Passport Issuance by destiro(m): 6:11am On Mar 08
This is a simple case of "when the head is rotten, no good thing will come out of the entire body". grin grin

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bureaucracy, Cash Crunch Stall E-Passport Issuance by ClearFlair: 6:47am On Mar 08
Who is surprised
Re: Bureaucracy, Cash Crunch Stall E-Passport Issuance by Cassandraloius: 6:47am On Mar 08
angry
Re: Bureaucracy, Cash Crunch Stall E-Passport Issuance by Blackfire(m): 6:48am On Mar 08
There is problem o... .

This job is getting despicable

1 Like

Re: Bureaucracy, Cash Crunch Stall E-Passport Issuance by Passionnn: 6:49am On Mar 08
Nothing works here

2 Likes

Re: Bureaucracy, Cash Crunch Stall E-Passport Issuance by Jrevelation(m): 6:51am On Mar 08
How much is the passport cost in Nigeria presently

What’s the actually price ? Pls anyone have the idea
Re: Bureaucracy, Cash Crunch Stall E-Passport Issuance by nurey(m): 6:52am On Mar 08
When it is all about corruption and my own cut, the system doesn't function. They are not about providing services but dragging their own cut of the largesse grin

7 Likes

Re: Bureaucracy, Cash Crunch Stall E-Passport Issuance by Anguldi(m): 6:55am On Mar 08
When corruption has littered the system undecided
They charge double and you get issued within 24hrs, more money for the hoodlums shocked

3 Likes

Re: Bureaucracy, Cash Crunch Stall E-Passport Issuance by jojothaiv(m): 6:55am On Mar 08
I dedicate Sound Sultan Area to this thread, such a great jam.

6 Likes

Re: Bureaucracy, Cash Crunch Stall E-Passport Issuance by adioolayi(m): 6:59am On Mar 08
It can't fly without a fight from those officers he'll bent on daily urgent 2k from Nigerians.

Minister of Interior should be bold to see this through.
Re: Bureaucracy, Cash Crunch Stall E-Passport Issuance by mytime24(f): 6:59am On Mar 08
Govt of Scarcities

Frm Naira to dollar to fuel to electricity to foodstuffs etc

Now to passport 😕

1 Like

Re: Bureaucracy, Cash Crunch Stall E-Passport Issuance by okechuks22: 7:05am On Mar 08
It can only be happening in animal kingdom

3 Likes

Re: Bureaucracy, Cash Crunch Stall E-Passport Issuance by Phenmeson(m): 7:14am On Mar 08
Jrevelation:

Officially 35k plus almost 2k booking fee.
In total #37000 official fee
Re: Bureaucracy, Cash Crunch Stall E-Passport Issuance by SalamRushdie: 7:26am On Mar 08
They have created another fake scarcity to make people pay bribes to get hold of a passport

5 Likes

Re: Bureaucracy, Cash Crunch Stall E-Passport Issuance by Tap0lane: 7:30am On Mar 08
I doubt that, I think it is a case of when slowpoke are allowed access to the internet n I will tell you why.

How was the issuance of passport done n how were they paid before this transformative minister was appointed that ended year long wait to collect passport ?!

destiro:
This is a simple case of "when the head is rotten, no good thing will come out of the entire body". grin grin

26 Likes

Re: Bureaucracy, Cash Crunch Stall E-Passport Issuance by Akalia(m): 7:47am On Mar 08
Thank goodness. I just picked my new passport last week. I jumped this one.

1 Like

Re: Bureaucracy, Cash Crunch Stall E-Passport Issuance by Sampi4me(m): 7:53am On Mar 08
I paid 120k for a 10 years passport yesterday

1 Like

Re: Bureaucracy, Cash Crunch Stall E-Passport Issuance by RALPHOW(m): 7:56am On Mar 08
They shouldn't destroy the good job of the Minister of Interior
Re: Bureaucracy, Cash Crunch Stall E-Passport Issuance by OBJECTIVITY4ALL: 8:12am On Mar 08
Jrevelation:

32 pages 5 years validity is 35,000 + bank charges of 1400 total is 36,400 I just paid yesterday 7/3/2024

1 Like

Re: Bureaucracy, Cash Crunch Stall E-Passport Issuance by luckynas(m): 8:15am On Mar 08
Sampi4me:
I paid 120k for a 10 years passport yesterday

I paid 65k for 5 years 2 days ago.

1 Like

Re: Bureaucracy, Cash Crunch Stall E-Passport Issuance by gabbasin: 8:30am On Mar 08
It's already 8th of March 2024, the day Minister Bunmi Ojo promised that we are going to have our passport application processes done online: From application, capturing to delivery. I hope he doesn't derail from his promise

1 Like

Re: Bureaucracy, Cash Crunch Stall E-Passport Issuance by frog12: 8:32am On Mar 08
Too expensive
Re: Bureaucracy, Cash Crunch Stall E-Passport Issuance by bigdammyj: 8:49am On Mar 08
Reading…
Re: Bureaucracy, Cash Crunch Stall E-Passport Issuance by Emman08: 10:02am On Mar 08
ClearFlair:
Who is surprised

Literally no one
Re: Bureaucracy, Cash Crunch Stall E-Passport Issuance by mukthar2000(m): 10:07am On Mar 08
No be this guy promise Nigerians passport home delivery soon?

Re: Bureaucracy, Cash Crunch Stall E-Passport Issuance by Emman08: 10:08am On Mar 08
SalamRushdie:
They have created another fake scarcity to make people pay bribes to get hold of a passport

You know exactly what's going on. And this is how all government corruption works. Inefficient on purpose so that people bribe their way to get things done.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Despite Being Majority, Young Nigerians Excluded From Ministerial Positions / I Laughed For Good 30 mins. Reading This Tweet By Reno / Owo Church Attack: Rotimi Amaechi Asks Security Agencies To Step Up Intelligence

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.