Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,269 members, 7,811,779 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 07:28 PM

Pls Help Me Decide - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Pls Help Me Decide (1053 Views)

If Employers Decide To Use Your Nairaland Account As Background Check / Pls Help Me Decide My Future / Ccna, Sap, Prince2 All For Me To Decide On, Which Is More Markatable Now? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pls Help Me Decide by Dumken(m): 9:41pm On Apr 22, 2012
Hi friend.. Pls i want to share part of ma career with you guys..Currently 17 yrs..
Re: Pls Help Me Decide by AjanleKoko: 10:46am On Apr 23, 2012
Truth be told, no university in Nigeria has the facility to train undergraduate engineers on IC design. I presume you're talking about integrated circuits.
But you're only in first year. Why don't you work hard, finish with a very good grade, and pursue a postgraduate scholarship in electronic engineering. Undergraduate courses are generic, and don't really determine what direction your career will take. Since your parents are not able to finance education abroad, I think you should focus on getting your bachelors' degree for now.
Re: Pls Help Me Decide by tanimola22: 1:12pm On Apr 23, 2012
Dumken: Hi friend.. Pls i want to share part of ma career with you guys.. Am Chibundu.. Currently 17 yrs.. Am in ma first yr electronic engineering in university of Nigeria. I didn't like the idea of studyin this electronic engineering in nigeria. My plan was going out to do that.. But it seems my mum doesn't like the idea. My father said he doesn't have that kind of money unless it's on scholarship.. I don't know of any scholarship that might take me out.. And i wanted to go into circuit design in the electronic engineering but i haven't seen a good university where such is done in nigeria and also their is no good job on that.. So i have decided to go into communications.. So pls i'll need your advise on how to go about it and the self development i'll need to do to fit into that choice.. (especially in computer areas) THANKS

Just as the previous poster stated, I strongly advise you to sit down, do very, very well on all of your undergraduate courses (this should even be your main focus now)and then go for further studies abroad.

It is a trivial matter to get the best scholarships abroad once you get a very nice undergraduate degree. It is more difficult to get a fully funded scholarship to pursue undergraduate studies abroad with just your o'level. The people I know who successfully got scholarships to pursue undergraduate studies at US universities had some of the best results in WAEC, aced SAT 1 so mercilessly and smashed SAT 2 so pitiably. If your WAEC result is near 5 A1s and above, and if your SAT 1 and 2 as well as your TOEFL scores are stellar, then we can take it from there. But, to tell you the truth, the optimal strategy is for you to blast your courses at your naija university.

Irrespective of the status of my university in naija, I would completely focus on my courses and ensure that I do my very best. Then I will take it from there in the future. Don't make the mistake of not being one of the best in your class, faculty or even school. Everything starts by acing your courses now, especially now that you are in year 1 (I guess).

All the best.

T22

1 Like

Re: Pls Help Me Decide by Dumken(m): 6:57pm On Apr 24, 2012
Thank you friends.. Buh wat if am to develop ma self on computer technology like all this java programmin? Is it advisable to start now or should i leave it?

(1) (Reply)

Why You Don't Need A Job/career / U Need A Loan Without Collateral?read Dis!!! / CIMA Qualification Aligns With Shell Group Competencies For Employees

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.