Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,378 members, 7,819,377 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:12 PM

Wich Engineering Field Is D Best, D Most Recognized,d One Dat Requires More Math - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Wich Engineering Field Is D Best, D Most Recognized,d One Dat Requires More Math (8156 Views)

Engineering Field Where Computer Science Graduates Can Confortably Fit In? / There Is No Doubt That This Financial Field Is Rewarding And There Are Great ... / Computer Forensics In Nigeria - Is It Recognized? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Wich Engineering Field Is D Best, D Most Recognized,d One Dat Requires More Math by Wemmy6284(m): 10:53am On Apr 23, 2012
I need to know because i have to choose one
Re: Wich Engineering Field Is D Best, D Most Recognized,d One Dat Requires More Math by AjanleKoko: 11:16am On Apr 23, 2012
Ask your high school teachers.
All engineering fields require on average the same amount of math.

1 Like

Re: Wich Engineering Field Is D Best, D Most Recognized,d One Dat Requires More Math by thomasjohn: 3:33pm On Apr 23, 2012
Wemmy6284: I need to know because i have to choose one

1st What do you want to become, wat do u want to achieve,wat are your interests?
answer the above 1st
Re: Wich Engineering Field Is D Best, D Most Recognized,d One Dat Requires More Math by Wemmy6284(m): 8:10pm On Apr 23, 2012
I'm 17,In dis previous Jamb dat i wrote i scored an excellent mark,i chose Electrical Engineering as my first preferred course @ OAU, but i still have a strong desire to study Mathematics in d uni because of these reasons....(1) I'm so good in maths dat i score A1 in every maths exams i wrote and i'm considered best in d class nd even among d student in d school to d extent dat my mates in d class usually tell me dat it would be good for me to study maths in d uni..in d recent GCE i did i ave A1 in maths and further maths..I score at least 95% in all maths exams i did..Infact i did not just know it but i understand the concept...I even usually derive formulas independently,for example area of a regular hexagon 3a^2sin60 where a is the length of d side,any one can test it and compare it with normal work it out.<u can never find it in d text book> ,i find the distance between any two places on d earth provided they are on the same latitude but one must be at d south and the other at the north but d one at the north or south wil be at different longitude using the knowlede of mensuration,which i tested using a very long method but the answer is just d same with the derived formula and many more things ...i can 'tackle? any question in pure maths, not to use the word 'solve'<it seems like a gift>,.solving maths becomes my hobby and i do it in my leisure hour....But on the other hand I chose Electrical/Electronic Engnring because i just love engineering field nd with the combination of maths/further maths,,physics,chemistry,geography nd TD which are my best subjects i know i am fit in the field and i like solving peoples problem....SHOULD I go for UME change of course form b4 it closes..But i if not studying maths now i will still go for it after my degree in E.E engineering..
Re: Wich Engineering Field Is D Best, D Most Recognized,d One Dat Requires More Math by yamakuza: 8:39pm On Apr 23, 2012
Since you've already filled Elect, you can leave it that way.

If you still want to change, you can consider chemical engineering.

Are you the same chap below?

www.nairaland.com/843742
Re: Wich Engineering Field Is D Best, D Most Recognized,d One Dat Requires More Math by Wemmy6284(m): 5:59am On Apr 24, 2012
yamakuza: Since you've already filled Elect, you can leave it that way.

If you still want to change, you can consider chemical engineering.

Are you the same chap below?

www.nairaland.com/843742
Yes,
Re: Wich Engineering Field Is D Best, D Most Recognized,d One Dat Requires More Math by Nobody: 9:58am On Apr 24, 2012
I believe that we have given you enough advice. Go through that previous thread. I particularly wrote about my own experience. I'm not going to start repeating all that has been said earlier in the previous thread.
Re: Wich Engineering Field Is D Best, D Most Recognized,d One Dat Requires More Math by Wemmy6284(m): 12:53pm On Apr 24, 2012
I'v check out the previous thread....@ all,thnks 4 ur advice,now i'm going to follow what u said...i'm studying Elect/Electronic Engineering @OAU if i pass my Post Jamb well....Once again thnks @ all...In d next 5yrs i hope i will come back here and appreciate u all.
Re: Wich Engineering Field Is D Best, D Most Recognized,d One Dat Requires More Math by richy5(m): 5:23pm On Apr 26, 2012
mechanical engineering do a lot of maths
U can go for it
Re: Wich Engineering Field Is D Best, D Most Recognized,d One Dat Requires More Math by 2good(m): 11:12pm On Apr 26, 2012
Wemmy6284: I'm 17,In dis previous Jamb dat i wrote i scored an excellent mark,i chose Electrical Engineering as my first preferred course @ OAU, but i still have a strong desire to study Mathematics in d uni because of these reasons....(1) I'm so good in maths dat i score A1 in every maths exams i wrote and i'm considered best in d class nd even among d student in d school to d extent dat my mates in d class usually tell me dat it would be good for me to study maths in d uni..in d recent GCE i did i ave A1 in maths and further maths..I score at least 95% in all maths exams i did..Infact i did not just know it but i understand the concept...I even usually derive formulas independently,for example area of a regular hexagon 3a^2sin60 where a is the length of d side,any one can test it and compare it with normal work it out.<u can never find it in d text book> ,i find the distance between any two places on d earth provided they are on the same latitude but one must be at d south and the other at the north but d one at the north or south wil be at different longitude using the knowlede of mensuration,which i tested using a very long method but the answer is just d same with the derived formula and many more things ...i can 'tackle? any question in pure maths, not to use the word 'solve'<it seems like a gift>,.solving maths becomes my hobby and i do it in my leisure hour....But on the other hand I chose Electrical/Electronic Engnring because i just love engineering field nd with the combination of maths/further maths,,physics,chemistry,geography nd TD which are my best subjects i know i am fit in the field and i like solving peoples problem....SHOULD I go for UME change of course form b4 it closes..But i if not studying maths now i will still go for it after my degree in E.E engineering..

All what you quoted above are child's play mathematics. I am an Engineer with a BSc in Chemical Engineering and an MSc in Petroleum Engineering. University Mathematics is way different from secondary school maths or further maths except say in year 1. I also got A1 in mathematics like 3 times but university mathematics is a different ball game. If you want to have an idea of what engineering maths is, look for text books like Shaum's series Advanced Mathematics for Engineers and Scientist. Advanced Engineering Maths by Erwin kreyszig.
If you like what you see in these text books, you will enjoy engineering mathematics. Also Engineering Maths by K.A. Stroud is basic Engineering Mathematics and too easy for engineering application.
BSc mathematics on the other hand, to me is too theoretical and could be more frustrating to study.
Don't ever choose a course because you like mathematics. Choose a course you have some flair for.

2 Likes

Re: Wich Engineering Field Is D Best, D Most Recognized,d One Dat Requires More Math by yamakuza: 12:05am On Apr 27, 2012
^
@2good, x-fire:
would you agree that Elect Engrng has more maths than Chem Engrng?

1 Like

Re: Wich Engineering Field Is D Best, D Most Recognized,d One Dat Requires More Math by OdunetLbs: 12:49am On Apr 27, 2012
O'level math is kids play compared to engrn
math...u should go for mech or elect they both hv d most math...try downloading Advance Engineering maths by HK Dass...then u'll know d heat u'r about to get urself into...lol

Wemmy6284: I'm 17,In dis previous Jamb dat i wrote i scored an excellent mark,i chose Electrical Engineering as my first preferred course @ OAU, but i still have a strong desire to study Mathematics in d uni because of these reasons....(1) I'm so good in maths dat i score A1 in every maths exams i wrote and i'm considered best in d class nd even among d student in d school to d extent dat my mates in d class usually tell me dat it would be good for me to study maths in d uni..in d recent GCE i did i ave A1 in maths and further maths..I score at least 95% in all maths exams i did..Infact i did not just know it but i understand the concept...I even usually derive formulas independently,for example area of a regular hexagon 3a^2sin60 where a is the length of d side,any one can test it and compare it with normal work it out.<u can never find it in d text book> ,i find the distance between any two places on d earth provided they are on the same latitude but one must be at d south and the other at the north but d one at the north or south wil be at different longitude using the knowlede of mensuration,which i tested using a very long method but the answer is just d same with the derived formula and many more things ...i can 'tackle? any question in pure maths, not to use the word 'solve'<it seems like a gift>,.solving maths becomes my hobby and i do it in my leisure hour....But on the other hand I chose Electrical/Electronic Engnring because i just love engineering field nd with the combination of maths/further maths,,physics,chemistry,geography nd TD which are my best subjects i know i am fit in the field and i like solving peoples problem....SHOULD I go for UME change of course form b4 it closes..But i if not studying maths now i will still go for it after my degree in E.E engineering..
Re: Wich Engineering Field Is D Best, D Most Recognized,d One Dat Requires More Math by yommy2sure(m): 6:59am On Apr 27, 2012
uv gotten more than enuff adivice, just to add mine, i think mechanical do a lot more maths and calculations than the rest, in my sch they do maths courses up to their final years unlike the rest that take maths courses up to 400l, they even do maths courses in their msc....all the best dude
Re: Wich Engineering Field Is D Best, D Most Recognized,d One Dat Requires More Math by 2good(m): 11:12am On Apr 27, 2012
yommy2sure: uv gotten more than enuff adivice, just to add mine, i think mechanical do a lot more maths and calculations than the rest, in my sch they do maths courses up to their final years unlike the rest that take maths courses up to 400l, they even do maths courses in their msc....all the best dude
All the core engineering disciplines(Chemical, Electrical and Mechanical) have alot of mathematics that you cannot claim one have more maths than the other because almost every course you do in Chemical Engineering for example involves solving one or more process problem mathematically. My problem with Chemical Engineering is that it is too abstract compared to say Mechanical. A friend that studied Electrical also told me that Electrical have alot of abstract courses. In summary, dont study an engineering course because of mathematics because as long you go for any of the three I quoted, you must do alot of mathematics. Look for what you think you will like to practice in the future instead.
Even in Reservoir Engineering which is a branch of Petroleum Engineering, the mathematical programming and reasoning of most Reservoir simulators is so advanced that it can give you brain problem.
Re: Wich Engineering Field Is D Best, D Most Recognized,d One Dat Requires More Math by yommy2sure(m): 3:14pm On Apr 27, 2012
i get ur point, all the branches do have a lot of calculations in them. Its a fact. Why i mentioned mechanical is that only them still do maths courses (frm maths department) up till final year and even masters (in my sch ABU zaria) and it remained an advantge to build cgpa for those that love maths to the extreme...thanks
Re: Wich Engineering Field Is D Best, D Most Recognized,d One Dat Requires More Math by ishmael(m): 7:03pm On Apr 27, 2012
yommy2sure: i get ur point, all the branches do have a lot of calculations in them. Its a fact. Why i mentioned mechanical is that only them still do maths courses (frm maths department) up till final year and even masters (in my sch ABU zaria) and it remained an advantge to build cgpa for those that love maths to the extreme...thanks
yommy2sure: i get ur point, all the branches do have a lot of calculations in them. Its a fact. Why i mentioned mechanical is that only them still do maths courses (frm maths department) up till final year and even masters (in my sch ABU zaria) and it remained an advantge to build cgpa for those that love maths to the extreme...thanks
Guy help me let them know. Infact when i read ur previous post i wanted asking u if u attended ABU before i now saw this post. This people are joking, or is it that their mech engineering is different from that of ABU or what? I Was in maths dept; our motto is: "critical thoughts for critical minds"; but we still respected guys from mech engineering becos the highest code for undergraduate maths courses in maths dept is 4, while mech eng have theirs to be 5. I think they do MATH 541 or so. Other engineering depts stop taking maths courses at 400 levels, i think MATH 441. We have helped Mech Eng guys argue that with the level they get to in maths, they need to be given 2 degrees and not one. We said they should be given BEng Mech Eng & Bsc Mathematics. It's funny, right? They can even teach guys in maths dept some maths courses, honestly. Chem Eng is one of the easy engineering depts in ABU faculty of Engineering. Infact Civil Eng is more tedious in ABU than Chem Eng. Try mech if na engineering maths they hungry u to do. I just hope u no go change dept later.

1 Like

Re: Wich Engineering Field Is D Best, D Most Recognized,d One Dat Requires More Math by yommy2sure(m): 7:46pm On Apr 27, 2012
ishmael: Guy help me let them know. Infact when i read ur previous post i wanted asking u if u attended ABU before i now saw this post. This people are joking, or is it that their mech engineering is different from that of ABU or what? I Was in maths dept; our motto is: "critical thoughts for critical minds"; but we still respected guys from mech engineering becos the highest code for undergraduate maths courses in maths dept is 4, while mech eng have theirs to be 5. I think they do MATH 541 or so. Other engineering depts stop taking maths courses at 400 levels, i think MATH 441. We have helped Mech Eng guys argue that with the level they get to in maths, they need to be given 2 degrees and not one. We said they should be given BEng Mech Eng & Bsc Mathematics. It's funny, right? They can even teach guys in maths dept some maths courses, honestly. Chem Eng is one of the easy engineering depts in ABU faculty of Engineering. Infact Civil Eng is more tedious in ABU than Chem Eng. Try mech if na engineering maths they hungry u to do. I just hope u no go change dept later.
lolz...nice to meet another abusite here, i actually finished from abu fac of engr so i said what i knw. I wasnt talking abt the maths or calculation we all do in our departmental courses but pure maths courses from maths department. Obviously u finished frm maths dept, my favourites in ur dept were mallam alkali, mrs yakubu, and prof sing or so...all the best guy...critical thought for critical minds

1 Like

Re: Wich Engineering Field Is D Best, D Most Recognized,d One Dat Requires More Math by ishmael(m): 9:21pm On Apr 27, 2012
@yommy2sure: good to see another correct abusite on nairaland. Guy engineering students dey suffer for ABU sha. Laffss!! My supervisor is was malam Dikko (now Dr Dikko), you should know him naw. He takes engineering students stats 4 engineers and experimental design & quality control. U should know Mr Ajibade too in maths dept, he's a PhD holder now too. You also know Dr Jha too in maths dept abi? Una bin get one bad prof for engineering wey dey take strength of materials, prof Aku!! Guy body tell una o. If na mech eng u do, better go and demand 4 ur other certificate o; ur Bsc maths certificate. Laffss!!
Re: Wich Engineering Field Is D Best, D Most Recognized,d One Dat Requires More Math by yommy2sure(m): 8:51am On Apr 28, 2012
ishmael: @yommy2sure: good to see another correct abusite on nairaland. Guy engineering students dey suffer for ABU sha. Laffss!! My supervisor is was malam Dikko (now Dr Dikko), you should know him naw. He takes engineering students stats 4 engineers and experimental design & quality control. U should know Mr Ajibade too in maths dept, he's a PhD holder now too. You also know Dr Jha too in maths dept abi? Una bin get one bad prof for engineering wey dey take strength of materials, prof Aku!! Guy body tell una o. If na mech eng u do, better go and demand 4 ur other certificate o; ur Bsc maths certificate. Laffss!!
wow, i knw all the guys u mentioned, dr dikko took us quality control and analysis of variance (all those anova stuffs) in 400L, ajibade took us matrices and determinant...and many more, good to know theyve all moved up the ladder...and prof aku with his famous strength of material, we scaled tru with good grades, thank God...i finished from met and mat engr actually so we did a lot of courses together with mech students but not the maths...lolz...enjoy my guy
Re: Wich Engineering Field Is D Best, D Most Recognized,d One Dat Requires More Math by ishmael(m): 9:21am On Apr 28, 2012
@yommy2sure: My guy ABU no easy for engineering and sciences sha. Imagine in ABU, QS and LS are in faculty of engineering too; doing some of the maths and engineering courses engineering guys do. Na God help boyz 4 dat skool. Guy enjoy ur week end jo. I dey kd.
Re: Wich Engineering Field Is D Best, D Most Recognized,d One Dat Requires More Math by Nobody: 2:06pm On Jun 22, 2012
yamakuza: ^
@2good, x-fire:
would you agree that Elect Engrng has more maths than Chem Engrng?
Just seeing this now. No I won't agree. Chem and elect engr'g have about the same level of mathematics. It is also safe to say Chem and Elect eng'g are about the most mathematical engrg courses because those courses have some level of abstract physics/mathematics. As a matter of fact, in my alma mater, the chemical engrg dept is in charge of taking 300 level engineering mathematics for all engrg students.
Re: Wich Engineering Field Is D Best, D Most Recognized,d One Dat Requires More Math by yamakuza: 6:26am On Jun 23, 2012
^ Guess it depends on the universities then, cos the ABU guys seem to think Mech Engr takes the cake!
Re: Wich Engineering Field Is D Best, D Most Recognized,d One Dat Requires More Math by yemmyma: 7:46am On Jun 23, 2012
I think scaring this young chap about university maths is not the way to go. As long as She/he can do it in high school she can as well cope when she gets to the higher institution.

Girl/boy, choose what you think you will like to do in the future as well as good at then go for it. Mind you all those courses chemical, electrical, mechanical are all good courses. I think your final decision should be more on which you like more between physics and chemistry. As you can already see by their names chemical eng. is more chemistry and electrical should be more about physics.

2 Likes

Re: Wich Engineering Field Is D Best, D Most Recognized,d One Dat Requires More Math by AjanleKoko: 11:02am On Jun 25, 2012
What's all this yammer about some engineering disciplines offering more math than others?
Apart from agric. engineering or materials engineering (and I would be very surprised if they do not), ALL engineering disciplines offer the same amount of math at undergraduate level. I am sure at least of civil, mechanical, electrical, chemical engineering. Computer Engineering maybe not, but they tend to do the same electrical engineering courses that are math-heavy. And they also do engineering math all the way to 400 level, like the others.

And there is nothing complicated about the abstract math taught at undergraduate level, in engineering, in any Nigerian university. I don't know what you would call abstract math. Algebra, trigonometry, vectorial mechanics, statistics, differential and integral calculus, vector calculus, Laplace, Fourier, numerical analysis etc. What I consider to be abstract math is abstract algebra, that mathematics undergrads study. All those groups, rings, number theory, and all of that. Those courses are not really taught in detail, at undergraduate level, in engineering faculties in Nigeria.

Stop scaring the kid. wink
Re: Wich Engineering Field Is D Best, D Most Recognized,d One Dat Requires More Math by Nobody: 4:04pm On Jul 14, 2012
With the colour of today's technology, I'd advice electrical & electronics engineering... More maths and others? Sorry I can't be sure.
Re: Wich Engineering Field Is D Best, D Most Recognized,d One Dat Requires More Math by tkworld35(m): 11:24am On Aug 30, 2013
Hahahahhaha I laugh. Do u know why? Mech eng,Chen eng,elect/elec eng are all the same. Don't be decieved to go into something that will give u heart attack o. My brother at the the top. Mr 95% in all maths, listen to me as I advice u. When u get to the university, u will know d difference btw differenciation and tegration. All eng aspect have maths equally. Read integral advanced eng maths for engineers and so on.
Re: Wich Engineering Field Is D Best, D Most Recognized,d One Dat Requires More Math by Nobody: 11:39am On Aug 30, 2013
Re: Wich Engineering Field Is D Best, D Most Recognized,d One Dat Requires More Math by Capableben(m): 8:11am On Aug 20, 2015
yommy2sure:
i get ur point, all the branches do have a lot of calculations in them. Its a fact. Why i mentioned mechanical is that only them still do maths courses (frm maths department) up till final year and even masters (in my sch ABU zaria) and it remained an advantge to build cgpa for those that love maths to the extreme...thanks
You are in ABU right, can we talk?
Re: Wich Engineering Field Is D Best, D Most Recognized,d One Dat Requires More Math by Capableben(m): 8:24am On Aug 20, 2015
ishmael:
@yommy2sure: My guy ABU no easy for engineering and sciences sha. Imagine in ABU, QS and LS are in faculty of engineering too; doing some of the maths and engineering courses engineering guys do. Na God help boyz 4 dat skool. Guy enjoy ur week end jo. I dey kd.
when does engine drawing Start in ABU (100 or 200L)?

(1) (Reply)

Top 5 Websites To Find Foreign Remote Jobs As A Nigerian / Requesting For Redeployment From HR / Shorthand Still Relevant Or Not In Secretariat Career

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.