Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,824 members, 7,817,408 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:44 AM

How Much Do TV Writers Earn Per Episode? - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / How Much Do TV Writers Earn Per Episode? (14260 Views)

Why Do Tv Stations Censor The Word, 'god'? / How Do Tv Shows Make Money? / Game Of Thrones Budget Is A Whopping $6 Million Per Episode (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Much Do TV Writers Earn Per Episode? by Seun(m): 6:28pm On Nov 08, 2007
Hello,

Someone told me that MNet pays writers about 60,000 naira per episode for some of the series it sponsors.

Sleekymag said, "some writers earn as much as 75k per episode" but the money is shared with assistant writers.

krisbobo said, as a TV writer, "you will make between 10-15k per episode" which seems a little more achievable.

Can you guys shed more light on this issue?

Thanks!
Re: How Much Do TV Writers Earn Per Episode? by crazyT(m): 8:00pm On Nov 08, 2007
Sleekymag and Krisbobo are both right, the reason been the fact that there are many factors that determine things in Nollywood.
First is the budget of the production, if the budget it’s big and it’s known to all the crew then they all will demand big.

2nd is the bargaining power of the writer, if the writer know how to sell himself to the producer or the producer is a novice in the industry. Then the writer will or can demand more than his or her normal fee.

The third one has everything to do with the second factor; your bargaining power comes from how experience you are too, if you have made names for your self in the industry (that is) you have written some blockbusters, then you will demand more. For example you can not pay Emem Isong the same money you'll pay a new writer etc

But everything still come down to the fact that things are not regulated in Nollywood, individuals determine their own fees.
Re: How Much Do TV Writers Earn Per Episode? by Seun(m): 8:05pm On Nov 08, 2007
For someone like me who is producing a sitcom, how much do you think I should offer my writers? Just a guideline?
Re: How Much Do TV Writers Earn Per Episode? by crazyT(m): 8:11pm On Nov 08, 2007
You just have to set your budget and don't you ever go above it, Crew members are the worst people in productions, they are never satisfied. They will always complain, so fix your budget and stick to it.
Re: How Much Do TV Writers Earn Per Episode? by krisbobo(m): 8:21pm On Nov 08, 2007
@Seun

Yeah, some of the guys who wrote Doctors' Quarters earn that kind of huge amount, but even then the money was not fully paid to most of them, in fact many inside jist dey wey I no fit yarn for open forum. those that wrote Edge of Paradise did not also earn that much, possibly with the exception of Femi Kayode, the head writer.

Those that are writing the  Tinsel, the new MNET soap in naja will earn even less, akthough it should be a long term project, hopefully.

Seun, depending on the calibre of writers you will be working with, i dont think you should pay more than 10k, that is industry standard to some extent.

This is a new project and I think you should bring everybody on board on tht fact. Avoid anyone who writes primarily for money; they always have mercinery tendencies. I am not say people should not be duly compensated o, but the person must also show a commitment to the job beyond money.

If i were free at this time, i would have come for the conference for free, although i woudnt have written, but my shoot still has 2 weeks at the least to go.

Seun, please, if you have not read Robert Mckee's STORY pls do so before you go into the workshop. You will need the knowledge. If you promise to be good with my copy, I can loan it to you for a week or two. you will have to come and pick it up around Marwa garden. Alternatively, since you are internet sarvy, u can by one on Amazon. A nw one is like 20pounds buit u can get faily used a lot cheaper.

All the best.
Re: How Much Do TV Writers Earn Per Episode? by MP007(m): 7:42am On Nov 09, 2007
Its unfair to writers. They get paid peanuts. The current writer's strike is a step in the right direction for Hollywood.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Much Do TV Writers Earn Per Episode? by Nobody: 9:10am On Nov 09, 2007
Seun:

For someone like me who is producing a sitcom, how much do you think I should offer my writers? Just a guideline?

Oga Osewa, why do you choose to ask at this point?.

I can recall u saying you would pay 1.3million a year which amounts to 25,000naira per episode.

Now what sort of guideline are you looking for? angry
Re: How Much Do TV Writers Earn Per Episode? by Seun(m): 10:25am On Nov 09, 2007
A guideline that tells me whether what I offered is too much or too little. 25,000 per episode seems to be neither, right?
Re: How Much Do TV Writers Earn Per Episode? by hafees: 1:23pm On Nov 09, 2007
Just like in many trades 'writer get grades', so what you pay depends on the pedigree of the writer, similarly the kind of money you are ready to spend will determine the kind of writers you will get, gabage in gabage out. Seun let me advise that Once you dont have good scripts , it would be dificult to have a good production, thats talking from the angle of quality and production style.Having said all these, i think some of the people giving Seun advise to pay 10k should know that it is peanut, considering what the writer have to do: think up an intresting story line, write out the scenerios, and do the dialogue, minus typing till your hands and fingers hurt, and your eyes watering from looking at the screen for a long time. nothing

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Much Do TV Writers Earn Per Episode? by sleekymag(m): 2:27pm On Nov 09, 2007
Seun, for you to determine how much to pay your writers for your sitcom, a couple of things must be put into consideration. The most important, is your production budget. What is your production budget like? Is it big budget or low budget? You have to cut your cloth according to your size. Basic Hollywood standards for purchase of scripts is 2.5% of the direct approved budget (excluding legal, interest, contingency, over head and completion guarantees). However, it all boils down to negotiation. The world's most expensive screenplay was sold for $3 million (Basic Instinct) and we've had low budget Hollywood films made for less than $100, 000. So it depends on the overall budget, and negotiation.

Also, how many episodes are you looking at producing? The more the number of episodes, the more reasonable it would seem if you bargain to pay less. Do you already have a storyline, basic plot structure, or setting (with numbers of characters) in mind? Or will the writer be required to do everything, as in create the story concept for you? You need to put these things into consideration.

Some TV production companies would rather hire scriptwriters and pay them salaries monthly, churning out more scripts out of them for less, and would also require them write for other anticipated productions. Choose which medium suits you best.
Re: How Much Do TV Writers Earn Per Episode? by hafees: 3:12pm On Nov 09, 2007
i am not comfortable with the way sleekmag and chrisbobo are sounding,-its all about cutting cost and gipping the writer out of some money. though i agree with the negotiaion contribution, but this will impact negatively on newbies and wannabies. some people's first script are the only hit they would have for their entire life, and if they make a chicken feed from it, then God help them and their career.

Seun my dear how about 50k per edition script, set a new standard and a new record!
Re: How Much Do TV Writers Earn Per Episode? by hafees: 3:14pm On Nov 09, 2007
I am not comfortable with the way sleekmag and chrisbobo are sounding,-its all about cutting cost and gipping the writer out of some money. though i agree with the negotiaion contribution, but this will impact negatively on newbies and wannabies. some people's first script are the only hit they would have in their entire life, and if they make a chicken feed from it, then God help them and their career.

Seun my dear how about 50k per  edition script, set a new standard and a new record! chris bobo lets get together as u be writer too, love meeting new 'wordsmiths'
Re: How Much Do TV Writers Earn Per Episode? by krisbobo(m): 6:33pm On Nov 09, 2007
Seun, under no circumstances should you pay any writer 50k for this job! No freaking way!!!!

I second Sleekymag; your total budget should determine what you are paying. Dont forget that you still have production and post product costs to bear!

50k? NA BEANS!!! not even BBC and MNET, the biggest payers, pay that kind of money!

I said I was shooting a new series for my teacher, abi? Not even my teacher, who has produced, directed and written for TV in Naija for almost 20 yrs and has created the most popular TV sitcoms and soaps in naija pays that kind of money! The script we are shooting will sell as others have and its a great idea but the writter was not paid that kind of money and neither is the director and I the co-director being paid 50k per episode.

pls let's be realistic here. I am all for equitable renumeration and I have earned some money as a screenwriter so this is not about not thinnking that writers are unimportant; I am one too even if I dont do much writing these days.

If you pay writer 50k per ep, how much you go pay Director? And seun, this is a very small industry; the momont people hear that u paid writers that much, crew and artistes will be asking you for ridiculous amounts of money!!

I wish you were doing this script conference in Lagos, I would have introduced a couple of writers to you who will accept 15k and deliver great scripts.

thread carefully Seun. A lot of misinformation dey town o!

Peace
Re: How Much Do TV Writers Earn Per Episode? by Meldrick(m): 1:09pm On Nov 20, 2007
@ krisbobo @ Seun

It seems u guys know a lot about this issue. Iam a script writer but have been looking for an opportunity to get connected with a producer. I've written much. In fact one of my scripts won my platoon the best drama group when i was serving. What should I do?
Re: How Much Do TV Writers Earn Per Episode? by Seun(m): 5:58pm On Nov 20, 2007
Thanks guys. You've cleared my confusion. I've decided to pay the writers 15k on delivery and 10k for rewriting.
Re: How Much Do TV Writers Earn Per Episode? by krisbobo(m): 12:38am On Nov 25, 2007
@ Seun

I dont understand. Are you saying that you will pay each writer 15k per episode and if what has been written does not meet the episode breakdown or synopsis that was given to the writer you then pay 10k for someone else to rewrite?

I dont understand but what is normally applicable is that if you have decided to pay 15k per episode, you pay the writer 10k when he submits the 12st draft. when the script editor goes through and decides that the script is ok they you pay the balance. Otherwise you pay someone else who was a part of the workshop and has had his scripts finally accepted the balance of 5k to rewrite the episode.

I hope this helps.

@meldrick
I go put you for mind should i hear anything. Do sharpen your skills by getting some training. It is going to be cruscial soon that all screenwriters get some form of training or the other.

Thank all
Re: How Much Do TV Writers Earn Per Episode? by richyodilu(m): 4:00am On Jan 12, 2008
Seun if the offer is still open then I am game, I am a schooled professionally in the art of screenwriting , and Krisbobo you are very Knowledgeable , would like to know you better, may be we just might do a job or two together , richyodilu@yahoo.com
Re: How Much Do TV Writers Earn Per Episode? by delavieri: 9:29pm On Dec 07, 2016
Hi. if your looking for a good series writer that can conclude a job under pressure in a stipulated time then buzz delavieri on 08131639733 or send an email to delavieri@gmail.com
Re: How Much Do TV Writers Earn Per Episode? by tck2000(m): 12:11pm On Jul 05, 2019
Don't know

(1) (Reply)

Your Favorite TV Series From The 90's / The Day They Came (A Short Sci-fi Film) / Letter To Nollywood

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.