Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,102 members, 7,814,871 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 09:29 PM

How Do Tv Shows Make Money? - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / How Do Tv Shows Make Money? (8647 Views)

Why Do Tv Stations Censor The Word, 'god'? / How Much Do TV Writers Earn Per Episode? / TV Shows: Prison Break, Lost Or 24? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do Tv Shows Make Money? by pjosh1(m): 10:29am On Oct 14, 2013
I wonder how tv shows make money,most of the tv shows are expensive to produce(per episode) . Do they pay the tv station to air their program? Is it the tv station that pays the tv shows?
People say through advertisment, but it's the tv stations that makes money through advertisment not the tv shows.
Re: How Do Tv Shows Make Money? by tunetokheyno(m): 10:53am On Oct 14, 2013
p.josh:
I wonder how tv shows make money,most of the tv shows are expensive to produce(per episode) . Do they pay the tv station to air their program? Is it the tv station that pays the tv shows?
People say through advertisment, but it's the tv stations that makes money through advertisment not the tv shows.

most shows are sponsored by one or two companies before they make it on stage. for this they have 1 min or 2 min slots for their adverts and campaign ish. if the show gets popular, more sponsors turn up, offering to pay even more than the original sponsors. thats how they make their money...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do Tv Shows Make Money? by pjosh1(m): 11:20am On Oct 14, 2013
tunetokheyno:

most shows are sponsored by one or two companies before they make it on stage. for this they have 1 min or 2 min slots for their adverts and campaign ish. if the show gets popular, more sponsors turn up, offering to pay even more than the original sponsors. thats how they make their money...
is it not the tv station that place advert while the show is on air,so the profit will go to the tv station..is it the tv station that pays the tv shows or vice versa..thanks for your response
Re: How Do Tv Shows Make Money? by tunetokheyno(m): 1:30pm On Oct 20, 2013
p.josh:
is it not the tv station that place advert while the show is on air,so the profit will go to the tv station..is it the tv station that pays the tv shows or vice versa..thanks for your response

well no, shows come with their own ads, which they have created time for, for example if i start a tv show on lets say stv whereby from 7pm to 7:30pm i discuss all the latest happenings in sport. i will put aside 15 mins for ads coming from my sponsors which might be mtn and indomie, the tv station cannot stop this since i bought the time for my tv show and within that time i am my own boss, now if my show starts to build a large audience, other companies might be interested and i will pick another sponsor lets say Guinness and instead of them running an ad on my show, the seats and mug and pen and shirts i will be wearing will all be branded Guinness..
so more sponsors more money for the show. and i still pay the same money to the tv station for the time purchased.
Re: How Do Tv Shows Make Money? by chygoz3(m): 2:03pm On Oct 20, 2013
I think the shows are sponsored by the tv station. The ads are run by the station and not by the show itself. That's why TV stations drop or cancel shows whenever the ratings drop or their viewer base drops.
Re: How Do Tv Shows Make Money? by Nobody: 8:32pm On Oct 20, 2013
Through advertisements and sponsorships

When a show buys airing time, everything that happens during that time has ready being paid for. Whether na advert or real program......the station can't interfere.

Another means is through short code SMS....this is for game shows where people vote for contestants.
Re: How Do Tv Shows Make Money? by Briareos(m): 9:44pm On Oct 20, 2013
I'm pretty sure he is asking about TV series.
Re: How Do Tv Shows Make Money? by pjosh1(m): 10:36am On Oct 21, 2013
Briareos: I'm pretty sure he is asking about TV series.
yea.something like that
Re: How Do Tv Shows Make Money? by Nobody: 10:43am On Oct 21, 2013
Briareos: I'm pretty sure he is asking about TV series.

TV series get their funds from ad and sponsorship as well. And popular TV shows are sometimes bought by Television houses.
Re: How Do Tv Shows Make Money? by pjosh1(m): 10:50am On Oct 21, 2013
speedyboi:

TV series get their funds from ad and sponsorship as well. And popular TV shows are sometimes bought by Television houses.
then y do tv stations drops some tv shows if their rating becomes low..since the show pays the tv station,wat's the business of d tv station with the ratins

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do Tv Shows Make Money? by pjosh1(m): 10:55am On Oct 21, 2013
for example,shows like paloma and diego,etc..is it the tv stations that buys the right from the show or private entertainment companies who later pays the tv station to air them
Re: How Do Tv Shows Make Money? by pjosh1(m): 10:55am On Oct 21, 2013
for example,shows like paloma and diego,etc..is it the tv stations that buys the right from the show or private entertainment companies who later pays the tv station to air them.
Re: How Do Tv Shows Make Money? by Nobody: 8:32pm On Oct 21, 2013
p.josh:
then y do tv stations drops some tv shows if their rating becomes low..since the show pays the tv station,wat's the business of d tv station with the ratins

There are independent shows and there are shows that are funded and produced by Television houses themselves OR shows in which their copyrights have been acquired by television stations. those are the kinda shows that get dropped due to low ratings.
Re: How Do Tv Shows Make Money? by pjosh1(m): 7:58am On Oct 22, 2013
speedyboi:

There are independent shows and there are shows that are funded and produced by Television houses themselves OR shows in which their copyrights have been acquired by television stations. those are the kinda shows that get dropped due to low ratings.
okay..thanks
Re: How Do Tv Shows Make Money? by smileyz16(m): 12:49pm On Dec 09, 2015
comments above me ar educatin..kudos!!!
Re: How Do Tv Shows Make Money? by naija4(m): 9:45am On Aug 12, 2017
Contents Wanted By Dexterity TV, Nigeria We are presently sourcing for Fresh already produced Family friendly Entertaining, informative, inspirational and educational content for our Channel Dexterity TV – Entertainment launched in ABUJA, Nigeria this August. If you do have any suitable content please send synopsis of such content to content@dexteritynetwork.tv together with your contact details. Content must be in English and must be suitable for family viewing. Many thanks. KINGSLEY SOUTHBANK for Dexterity TV ABUJA,Nigeria ...call kingsley southbank on 08181767894 for any enquiries...
Re: How Do Tv Shows Make Money? by DrMiki: 7:07am On Dec 22, 2021
For those in Abuja you can attend The Pitch by Fordax - - a reality TV show for entrepreneurs and creative people looking for funding, connections and mentoring opportunities.

Visit �

Www.fordax.com.ng/the-Pitch

Or follow �

@FordaxMedia on Instagram

(1) (Reply)

Chidi Adimabuah: Why Your Life Is A Movie! / Oscar Awards Live-----Inception n The King's Speech leading / Sam Loco Efe, Clem Ohameze, Nonso Diobi And Other Stars Win Awards

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.