Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,501 members, 7,812,552 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:14 PM

Northern Nigeria Has Highest Child Illiteracy Rate In The World - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Northern Nigeria Has Highest Child Illiteracy Rate In The World (13184 Views)

Buhari And The Virtually Empty Treasury (deceit Or Illiteracy) / Katsina Has Highest Rate Of Teenage Pregnancy — NPC / Illiteracy Rate In Nigeria Is Up To 70% - Vc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Northern Nigeria Has Highest Child Illiteracy Rate In The World by Nobody: 12:56pm On Apr 24, 2012
Please house, i thought illeracy means someone who cannot read or write. If this is the case then northern Nigeria has the highest literate than you all think.
Re: Northern Nigeria Has Highest Child Illiteracy Rate In The World by PROUDIGBO(m): 1:05pm On Apr 24, 2012
maasoap: When did Northern Nigeria become a sovereign state? It has highest child illiteracy level "in the world"! Is it in Comparison to Southern Nigeria or Northern parts of other countries? I know of South and North Koreans as two separate states, Sudan and South Sudan as well. No matter how we tried to disassociate ourselves, there is no way you can mock Northern Nigeria without mocking Nigeria because it is still one Nigeria. It simply doesn't make sense. You can only have Northern and Southern Nigeria if you're trying to find out the difference between the two regions. But you can't find out the difference between Northern Nigeria and the rest of the world, no way to do so.

^^^Hehehe grin wink. Nice try.

CHESSBOARD: The North is sooo poor and illiterate and teir rulers functionally illiterated to the extend that SE and SS riches cannot even help them, how did we( SS and SE) end uo with Northerners as a country embarassed

^^^This was something Ojukwu saw and wanted to rectify, but unfortunately his efforts were truncated by certain individuals/groups (some nearer home that should have known better) whose fear, suspicion and hatred for Igbos was stronger than their fear and suspicion for the real culprits who have held us back from being the economic powerhouse we should have been today.

Make we all dey suffer am dey go. Don't you just love 'one naijeriah' wink?
Re: Northern Nigeria Has Highest Child Illiteracy Rate In The World by richkolinz: 1:16pm On Apr 24, 2012
You can force a horse to the river but you certainly cant force it to drink. Apart from the constitutionality or not of this move by the federal government the fact remains that it is going to fail. It will not achieve the objectives it was set out to achieve because education is a culture that is yet to be imbibed in this part of the country
Re: Northern Nigeria Has Highest Child Illiteracy Rate In The World by PrinceDudu(m): 1:17pm On Apr 24, 2012
chrishenzo: It seems that Nigeria journalist are become desperate by day. This info is not correct period!
Re: Northern Nigeria Has Highest Child Illiteracy Rate In The World by Kilode1: 1:25pm On Apr 24, 2012
ndu_chucks:

It suffices to say, for now, it is impossible and frankly foolhardy to implement reverse social engineering abruptly. Kudos to GEJ for taking the first step. The $98million provided by the Islamic bank towards the education of these innocent and victimied children, is also most appreciated. The bottom line is to render millions of chilren more productive in the society and the 400 Almajiri schools being build, as a fulfillment of one of GEJ's campaign promises, is a welcome development.

Yes it's good to put that money into it, But they need to also hold people accountable for this. FG and GEJ cannot do this by themselves and One Trillion dollars won't help these innocent and victimized children if their local leaders care more about their ability to recite religious verses and don't give a damn about their Education.

These kids are ours, if they are educated, then we can compete better and progress much faster. We are failing them at the local level. Emirs, Imams, Sheiks, parents and local government officials can do much better if they truly care about educating them. So far, I don't believe they do. And 1 Gazillion dollars won't fix this without their proactive buy-in

These imams and sheiks should be issuing fatwas against truancy at this stage, leaving these kids on the street and uneducated is a national security issue. It should be considered Haram also

I grew up in the South West, in the small town I grew up in, I remember then as a school age kid, it was safer for your yansh to be in a school chair than on the street. It seemed like every adult on the street then was a truancy police appointed by God to trash your bottom if you go out on the street during school hours. They needed no money to do that, the prevailing social culture has to own this problem and be ready to deal with it. Else it cannot be fixed.
Re: Northern Nigeria Has Highest Child Illiteracy Rate In The World by logica(m): 1:29pm On Apr 24, 2012
LOL. When you talk about their corrupt "elite", some of them feeding from the crumbs that drop from the tables of the "elite" will fight you and call you "jealous". I remember a few dumb ones proudly talking about how the kids of ex northern governors drive exotic cars around the UK.
Re: Northern Nigeria Has Highest Child Illiteracy Rate In The World by rawtruth(m): 2:12pm On Apr 24, 2012
The few who refused to agree with the write-up do not know what goes on in the core north, or they are simply incapable of accepting bitter truths. Besides the constitutional issue which GEJ has actually failed to take into consideration, the present crop of northern elites have never shown serious interest in such things as primary/secondary education; They are more concerned with educating their kids and in-laws to inherit their stolen wealth, sponsoring pilgrims to Mecca and contributing to Mosque buildings. The Almajiri question has been asked decades ago but without anyone from that part of the country showing much interest in how the issue could be resolved. It is now that the chips are down that the vociferous ones among them have pushed their shame aside to blame the Federal govt for 'neglecting' the north.

Under the nose of these elites;
Parents send their kids/wards to bearded Mallams far away from their homes without knowing the character of these so-called teachers. Many of these Mallams are from desert/war-hit regions of Africa who only parade an average knowledge of the Quran as their educational qualification. These class of people are then deemed worthy to be entrusted with millions of children in a country as rich as Nigeria. Truth is bitter but it must be spoken; a strong attachment to archaic systems that accommodate pride and dictatorship has blinded the northern princes who are now finding it difficult to accept necessary changes. They can twist GEJ and even the world to draw attention to their 'plight' but discerning minds clearly see them for the defeatist hypocrites they are.
Re: Northern Nigeria Has Highest Child Illiteracy Rate In The World by omongbatic: 2:24pm On Apr 24, 2012
Is this supposed to be news?
Re: Northern Nigeria Has Highest Child Illiteracy Rate In The World by killuminati(m): 2:34pm On Apr 24, 2012
ndu_chucks:

It suffices to say, for now, it is impossible and frankly foolhardy to implement reverse social engineering abruptly. Kudos to GEJ for taking the first step. The $98million provided by the Islamic bank towards the education of these innocent and victimied children, is also most appreciated. The bottom line is to render millions of chilren more productive in the society and the 400 Almajiri schools being build, as a fulfillment of one of GEJ's campaign promises, is a welcome development.

read the topic again! Cos I don't think you understand!!!
Re: Northern Nigeria Has Highest Child Illiteracy Rate In The World by Acelifted: 2:43pm On Apr 24, 2012
The northern elite are feeding on the illiteracy and lack of enlightenment of the majority poor. what a pity!
Re: Northern Nigeria Has Highest Child Illiteracy Rate In The World by ochallo: 3:16pm On Apr 24, 2012
@poster

this is obviously a lie, the illiteracy rate is high quite alright but not the highest in the world, you should go to India and see illiterates.
Re: Northern Nigeria Has Highest Child Illiteracy Rate In The World by jamil2(m): 3:24pm On Apr 24, 2012
I am very happy with this report my fellow northerners should sit up and brings to an end of this dilemma our southern counterparts should halt from mocking us because according to this article Nigeria name was mentioned which every region is involved so that it is the duty for a very Nigerian to contribute toward the solving the problems. We should stop all the bigotry and hatred within ourselves.
Re: Northern Nigeria Has Highest Child Illiteracy Rate In The World by mjconcept(m): 3:41pm On Apr 24, 2012
Prince saha: The northern leaders should be held responsible 4 all dis nonsense. Having numerous nyarinya's and cash 2 throw around while their pple are suffering
I agree with you,the problem in the north are caused by their leaders nobody should blame the Fed,GEJ is trying his best.
Re: Northern Nigeria Has Highest Child Illiteracy Rate In The World by aljharem(m): 3:48pm On Apr 24, 2012
maasoap: When did Northern Nigeria become a sovereign state? It has highest child illiteracy level "in the world"! Is it in Comparison to Southern Nigeria or Northern parts of other countries? I know of South and North Koreans as two separate states, Sudan and South Sudan as well. No matter how we tried to disassociate ourselves, there is no way you can mock Northern Nigeria without mocking Nigeria because it is still one Nigeria. It simply doesn't make sense. You can only have Northern and Southern Nigeria if you're trying to find out the difference between the two regions. But you can't find out the difference between Northern Nigeria and the rest of the world, no way to do so.

Raw truth. Thank you. Most of this so called southerners are very funny at times

1 Like

Re: Northern Nigeria Has Highest Child Illiteracy Rate In The World by PHIPEX(m): 5:05pm On Apr 24, 2012
alj harem:

Raw truth. Thank you. Most of this so called southerners are very funny at times

Bros, don't blame the southerners that sent their children to school but blame the likes of Ibrahim Idris; the former Kogi state Governor who just married his 13th wife. This is a man that ordinarily should show an example to his people about giving birth to children you can train. If each of his wives gives birth to 4 kids each, our former Governor will become a father to 52 children and still counting. Then his gateman who sees him as an example of an educated man will emulate him by marring his sixth wife to also appear "educated". you can then imagine how many children the gateman will give birth to and what will be their outcome.

The problem of the North lies with its elites.
Re: Northern Nigeria Has Highest Child Illiteracy Rate In The World by samsolite(m): 6:38pm On Apr 24, 2012
I've come to observe that though the richest Nigerian may be a Northerner, the poorest possibly is also a Northerner.
its in the North you'll see stinking Wealth leaving beside abject Poverty.
Re: Northern Nigeria Has Highest Child Illiteracy Rate In The World by Kilode1: 6:48pm On Apr 24, 2012
samsolite: I've come to observe that though the richest Nigerian may be a Northerner, the poorest possibly is also a Northerner.
its in the North you'll see stinking Wealth leaving beside abject Poverty.

It's everywhere in Nigeria not only the north
Re: Northern Nigeria Has Highest Child Illiteracy Rate In The World by Ninapha(f): 8:44pm On Apr 24, 2012
Nsogbu!!!
Re: Northern Nigeria Has Highest Child Illiteracy Rate In The World by Eazeee(m): 10:40pm On Apr 24, 2012
govt 2 built 400 almajiri schools?wetin com concern govt concern d funding of almajiri school? i hope GEJ is preparing equally 2 build sunday schools 4 churches.dis man too dull
Re: Northern Nigeria Has Highest Child Illiteracy Rate In The World by Yujin(m): 11:01pm On Apr 24, 2012
rawtruth: The few who refused to agree with the write-up do not know what goes on in the core north, or they are simply incapable of accepting bitter truths. Besides the constitutional issue which GEJ has actually failed to take into consideration, the present crop of northern elites have never shown serious interest in such things as primary/secondary education; They are more concerned with educating their kids and in-laws to inherit their stolen wealth, sponsoring pilgrims to Mecca and contributing to Mosque buildings. The Almajiri question has been asked decades ago but without anyone from that part of the country showing much interest in how the issue could be resolved. It is now that the chips are down that the vociferous ones among them have pushed their shame aside to blame the Federal govt for 'neglecting' the north.

Under the nose of these elites;
Parents send their kids/wards to bearded Mallams far away from their homes without knowing the character of these so-called teachers. Many of these Mallams are from desert/war-hit regions of Africa who only parade an average knowledge of the Quran as their educational qualification. These class of people are then deemed worthy to be entrusted with millions of children in a country as rich as Nigeria. Truth is bitter but it must be spoken; a strong attachment to archaic systems that accommodate pride and dictatorship has blinded the northern princes who are now finding it difficult to accept necessary changes. They can twist GEJ and even the world to draw attention to their 'plight' but discerning minds clearly see them for the defeatist hypocrites they are.

The best post. This is just the plain truth; if you lived in the north you will know this.
Re: Northern Nigeria Has Highest Child Illiteracy Rate In The World by Yujin(m): 11:13pm On Apr 24, 2012
Yassar2688: Please house, i thought illeracy means someone who cannot read or write. If this is the case then northern Nigeria has the highest literate than you all think.
@Yasser, you are right. Knowing how to read & write in Arabic makes you literate but does it fit into the present system/demands of this empire? No. Honestly, I will like to see an Arewa country where Arabic literacy thrives then we will know your place in the comity of nations. Assalamu alla'ikum.
Re: Northern Nigeria Has Highest Child Illiteracy Rate In The World by Yujin(m): 11:36pm On Apr 24, 2012
Many wonder why this cannot be true. Some compare northern nigeria to war-torn countries like somalia, congo etc. It only shows that we have short memories. Compare the individual population of these countries with that of northern nigeria. Have you forgotten the meaning of boko haram and the fact that it is still operating? Boko haram means western education is abomination. This nothing but the truth. About 5yrs ago, a female teacher was murdered in cold blood by her students in the north for disrupting an exam malpractitioner. This is how much they value a western education teacher.
Re: Northern Nigeria Has Highest Child Illiteracy Rate In The World by ektbear: 1:07am On Apr 25, 2012
Dis Guy:

Maybe because he's a christain and from the south, imagine if this was your old friend Sanusi doing this or any other muslim governor hehehe

If it were even done at the level of a state, I could see the argument for it. Perhaps one might argue in favor of secular FG, but non-secular states. I don't think it is the most sound argument, but it isn't completely without merit.

But for the FG to start funding Islamic religious schools?

GEJ doesn't quite seem to understand what secular government means...
Re: Northern Nigeria Has Highest Child Illiteracy Rate In The World by emiye(m): 1:17am On Apr 25, 2012
The illiteracy rate in North West / and North East Nigeria is very high.
Although, i dont believe it is the worst in the world. South Sudan is said to have an illiteracy rate of 90%
Re: Northern Nigeria Has Highest Child Illiteracy Rate In The World by ektbear: 1:24am On Apr 25, 2012
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_literacy_rate

177 118 Somalia 35.9 [8]
178 119 Chad 33.6
179 120 Burkina Faso 28.7
180 120 Niger 28.7
181 121 Ethiopia 28.0
182 122 South Sudan 27.0
183 123 Mali 26.2

South Sudan has a good excuse for being that low though. Ethiopia, Chad, Mali, Niger Republic do not..
Re: Northern Nigeria Has Highest Child Illiteracy Rate In The World by Nobody: 2:05am On Apr 25, 2012

yeah that is definitely a flawed and biased write up.
i agree with you 100 percent!! wink
Re: Northern Nigeria Has Highest Child Illiteracy Rate In The World by Nobody: 2:08am On Apr 25, 2012
Dis Guy:

Maybe because he's a christain and from the south, imagine if this was your old friend Sanusi doing this or any other muslim governor hehehe

Is there anything like federal primary school project in Nigeria, both in North and South? Why are the governors of the North not to be blamed?
Re: Northern Nigeria Has Highest Child Illiteracy Rate In The World by Nobody: 2:19am On Apr 25, 2012
You know that so well. Why are Northerners fighting to be the president as if it is a sovereign nation? You see the whole idea of different Nigeria is from the North.

I can't figure out why you don't know the Northern and Southern Nigerians don't go very because of the way they have being treating the people up North. They resort to religion killings and destroying of properties for every little misunderstanding, that should be enough to give rise to disagreement in one Nigeria.

All I can say is that you're being sentimental about one nation idea. It is the same reason why the North keep doing harms without thinking about the consequences - to smear the nation as one.
Re: Northern Nigeria Has Highest Child Illiteracy Rate In The World by igboboy1(m): 3:43am On Apr 25, 2012
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/04/man-held-after-failed-attempt-to-bomb-lagos-church/[size=18pt]breaking news, Yoruba aboki attempted to bomb a church in Lagos[/size]
Re: Northern Nigeria Has Highest Child Illiteracy Rate In The World by pastorub: 7:27am On Apr 25, 2012
Northen part of Nigeria wil continue 2b poor until dey think civilisation n stop marrying 4 wives in d name of wateva...can u imagine a truck pusher marrying 4 women n hatching abt 20-30 almajeris? Who is 2b blamed? Govt. Or d 'hatcher'?
Re: Northern Nigeria Has Highest Child Illiteracy Rate In The World by Ejine(m): 7:56am On Apr 25, 2012
ekt_bear: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_literacy_rate

177 118 Somalia 35.9 [8]
178 119 Chad 33.6
179 120 Burkina Faso 28.7
180 120 Niger 28.7
181 121 Ethiopia 28.0
182 122 South Sudan 27.0
183 123 Mali 26.2

South Sudan has a good excuse for being that low though. Ethiopia, Chad, Mali, Niger Republic do not..

Whoaaa! And did you notice that all of North Nigeria's neighbors are in that list? I think the fact that it's still joined with South Nigeria is kinda helping to save its image in so many ways.

With this list, I'm starting to believe that, should Nigeria break up, the North actually WOULD record the lowest literacy rate in the world! shocked
Re: Northern Nigeria Has Highest Child Illiteracy Rate In The World by kodewrita(m): 8:49am On Apr 25, 2012
Illiterate in what language? Many of those kids can also read arabic. (my assumption). We might need to expand our minds and look for other solutions. Our one-size-fits-all educational system (coupled with corrupt politicians) is clearly not working for us.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Fashola And Rochas Okorocha Visit Ladipo Market. Pics.. / Buhari Sets To Swear In SGF, Others / Yakassai Backs Power Rotation, Seeks Nigeria’s Return To Parliamentary System

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.