Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,810 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:00 AM

Has Charles Taylor Escaped? - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Has Charles Taylor Escaped? (6640 Views)

Charles Taylor's Family Ejected From Calabar Mansion / CIA Brought Me To Power - Charles Taylor / Charles Taylor Arrested In Nigeria After Escape. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Has Charles Taylor Escaped? by EzehM(m): 7:43am On Mar 30, 2006
Firstly, I will like to applaud the Nigeria security services for the exceptional job that led to the capture of Mr Taylor. How these guys managed to track him to a village on Nigeria's border with Chad still defies principle. For OBJ whose trip to America (and few minutes with G. Bush) would have been dominated by the Third term agenda, what a stroke of ‘luck’ Taylor goes missing before he lands in Gods own Country, and a few hours before his short audience with Bush, the competent Nigerian Security Services find Taylor in a lone car with his wife. All talk about the third term gets knocked off the agenda, with Taylor hugging the headlines. Spielberg couldn’t have even made this up.
Re: Has Charles Taylor Escaped? by twinstaiye(m): 9:30am On Mar 30, 2006
Who told you the 3rd term agenda was not discussed, perhaps Taylor issue may have been a wool over the discussion. Besides, such discussion could not be made public.
Re: Has Charles Taylor Escaped? by demmy(m): 9:50am On Mar 30, 2006
GL: I always had that feeling too, that George Weah won the election but other African leaders felt he wasn't qualified because of his lack of education & exposure, and chose the highly educated woman instead. Weah seemed to know it too, as he protested at the Nigerian embassy there. I hope that after America pays whatever they promised to pay Liberia for Taylor, Mrs. Sirleaf would not give in to them again in any other situation. This is not just politics, it's blackmail. I hope she'll be able to deal with it when next it happens, because America would probably do something like this again.

It's so sad that America can push African leaders around, when they obviously don't care very much (except when their interests are affected). I wonder what their real agenda is in this case, as they refused to get involved in the heat of the war.

Stop blaming America and confusing the issues. The question is do Taylor have a case to answer? If the answer is yes, then must America forced us to do the right thing? If African leaders are refusing the bold steps necessary to stop war in the region, then others will be forced to do it. Yes Nigeria spent and lost a lot in Liberia and Sierra Leone, this is even the more reason why we should have initiated the steps for parmanent peace and bring justice not just going about pacifying warring sides as Obasanjo is doing.

Nigeria is relunctant to play an assertive leadership role in Africa (which no other country in Africa can assume outside of Nigeria) and this leaves non-Africans to play such role. What is wrong with the special court in Sierra Leone by the way? Have you seen mutilated Sierra Leonean children? The same thing is going on presently in Darfur because Nigeria is refusing to put her feet on the ground but instead it is trying to pacify warring sides to no result meanwhile rapings and killings continue.

And nothing will happen in Liberia, Charles Taylor has very few friends and supporters left.
Re: Has Charles Taylor Escaped? by mmomi(f): 10:42am On Mar 30, 2006
This year is drama upon drama for those that their food is evil (plots).

We are the cinema - more parts are coming!!!!
Re: Has Charles Taylor Escaped? by LoverBwoy(m): 11:37am On Mar 30, 2006
criticism doesnt not necessarily mean being negative especially in the nigerian context, when thing happen you get a positive point or negative point in terms of national image

so all these rhetorical questions about why are nigerians always negative about nigeria should not be seen as abnormal but as a sign of being Fed up of the way things are, and the way things are constantly being done, almost everyday, its negative news about nigeria

P.S Obsanjo is not the only decision maker in nigeria so i dont support all criticism directed towards him (i know he should take responsibilty but most of the rest are a bunch Clowns!!)
Re: Has Charles Taylor Escaped? by romeo(m): 1:27pm On Mar 30, 2006
We shouldn't allow the foreign press to shape our thoughts, especially of ourselves.

We aren't the only country with problems, plus, we've done a better job than many countries handling our problems. How many countries can u see over 250 different indigenous tribes with different cultures and languages

my point is that we are tribes because the west call us that and they don't refer to us as ethnic or nation, because we are black Africans, there are many languages and cultures in Europe and still there are no tribes and how do we explain that you can only find tribes in developing poor countries??

tribe; noun
1 (sometimes offensive) (in developing countries) a group of people of the same race, and with the same customs, language, religion, etc., living in a particular area and often led by a CHIEF:
tribes living in remote areas of the Amazonian rainforest

ethnic ; adjective
1 connected with or belonging to a nation, race or tribe that shares a cultural tradition:
ethnic groups / communities • ethnic strife / tensions / violence (= between people from different races or tribes) • ethnic Albanians living in Germany • The country is divided along ethnic lines.

then how on earth can we still be calling our communities tribe ?
sorry GL i had to make this reference at this thread and i quoted you on this for calling our 250 strong distinct nations tribes and allowing the western media to shape your thought on this issue
Re: Has Charles Taylor Escaped? by celemel(m): 5:17pm On Mar 30, 2006
toshmann, Calabar is sweet and cool. After d exit of Charles Taylor from the town, live has been good. The students republic of Mababor is kicking as always. U are always welcome anytime u may wish to return and savour d sweetness of Calabar; where nature and culture mix with mature political leadership to give the residents good quality living. This is no joke, Calabar is the most beautiful modern city in Nigeria. Y'all are invited!
Re: Has Charles Taylor Escaped? by otokx(m): 6:16pm On Mar 30, 2006
nigeria is indeed the land of drama; you don't know where it will happen next.
Re: Has Charles Taylor Escaped? by toshmann(m): 6:18pm On Mar 30, 2006
celemel:

toshmann, Calabar is sweet and cool. After d exit of Charles Taylor from the town, live has been good. The students republic of Mababor is kicking as always. U are always welcome anytime u may wish to return and savour d sweetness of Calabar; where nature and culture mix with mature political leadership to give the residents good quality living. This is no joke, Calabar is the most beautiful modern city in Nigeria. Y'all are invited!

SOLIDARITY FOREVER,SOLIDARITY FOREVER, SOLIDARITY FOREVER ,WE'LL ALWAYS FIGHT FOR OUR RIGHT. cheesy GREAT MALABITE! :DACTION!!!!!!!!GREEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! cheesy

ONCE A MALABITE(UNICAL PRODUCT)ALWAYS A MALABITE. THAT LOVELY CITY AND THAT EXTREMELY BEAUTIFUL UNICAL. OH cheesy!!!!
Re: Has Charles Taylor Escaped? by toshmann(m): 6:24pm On Mar 30, 2006
WORD GL, WORD.TELL THEM. WHEN THEY SAY FOREIGN AID PEOPLE DON'T KNOW THE REAL TRUTH.TELL THEM PLS. IT'S ALL GIVE AND TAKE. THE WEST(UK,US,EU ETC)LIKE THE DEVIL, DON'T HAVE ANY FREE GIFT. NONE.THAT'S THE TRUTH.2MRW THEY BAMBOOZLE US WITH STORIES OF FOREIGN AID.

THEY THINK WE DON'T KNOW
Re: Has Charles Taylor Escaped? by GL(f): 1:34am On Mar 31, 2006
Demmy, i'm not saying America shouldn't get involved in African issues. We need them to interfere every now and then. But they should learn to respect our decisions. No country can go and tell America how to handle matters in Iraq. Why can't they let the Liberians run their country the way they want?

My main problem with the US is that even though Liberia was formerly their colony, they didn't want to get involved in the heat of the war. I read in in the newspaper that they carried all their citizens away and abandoned the country because they had no interests there. It took Nigeria to come up with a solution - removing Taylor. America had tried to get him away, they couldn't Nigeria did and I feel they should have respected that.

Taylor was a democratically elected president (even though CNN says ppl voted out of fear), and he could have chosen not to agree to the proposal. But he did. There was a deal, America was trying to make Nigeira/OBJ renege on that deal only months after. That was very bad. They even threatened to stop aids to Nigeria. That's the attitude I'm condemning. Imagine if Nigeria had given up Taylor immediately they started asking for him, it would have seemed we can't keep our word. America would have used it against us someday.

I'm not saying Taylor shouldn't face justice. All I'm saying is America must have respect for African leaders. If you can't do something and someone else comes ahead and does it, you should give the person some space and respect.

Plus, America seemed to be more interested in Taylor than in Liberia. All the while Taylor was on exile in Nigeria, America could only think of how to get him. They who didn't want to get involved in the war now wanted to take over the whole process. I think the worst part of the whole thing was they had the means to help a country that had been destroyed in a 14-year war, and they decided they'd only help if they handed over Taylor. This made a president who had announced only a few months ago that Taylor wasn't her priority to publicly change her mind. That was blackmail.
Re: Has Charles Taylor Escaped? by GL(f): 2:06am On Mar 31, 2006
Romeo,

that wasn't what i meant. I mean that we're very diverse, and diversity isn't always easy to manage. Just look at the world as a whole, the West is always having a misunderstanding with the Arabs, Israel and the Arabs. It takes a lot of diplomacy to keep that middle east from erupting in a serious war.

I'm not a history person, but I guess our case must have been like bringing hundreds of independent kingdoms together to form a country. I know the US has a lot of diversity too since people from all countries have settled there. But that's very different from our case. Most immigrants are there in search of greener pastures, and wouldn't risk showing their grievances for fear of deportation. This is not to say there aren't cases of racism/misunderstanding. Plus, Americans are all immigrants, except the Native Americans.

Our case is very different, as every tribe has a piece of land in Nigeria which rightfully belongs to them, and as they cannot be deported or punished, they can fight or do whatever they want to do when they feel they've been wronged. Plus, ours is more than ethnic diversity, there's also religious diversity. How many countries do you have them praying both Christian and Musliim prayers before each government function. Look at the Islamic and Hindu countries, christians are persecuted. In the Western countries, when they pray it's Christian. Nigeria, on the other hand, has learnt to live with two dominant religions, which are both incorporated into our national programmes. Yes, we have cases of fights but it can be worse and the fights are usually because some states want to make Nigeria a one-religion country. But on the whole, we are better than many countries in this aspect.
Re: Has Charles Taylor Escaped? by Nobody: 9:13am On Mar 31, 2006
GL:

Plus, America seemed to be more interested in Taylor than in Liberia. All the while Taylor was on exile in Nigeria, America could only think of how to get him. They who didn't want to get involved in the war now wanted to take over the whole process. I think the worst part of the whole thing was they had the means to help a country that had been destroyed in a 14-year war, and they decided they'd only help if they handed over Taylor. This made a president who had announced only a few months ago that Taylor wasn't her priority to publicly change her mind. That was blackmail.

Couldnt agree more.
Re: Has Charles Taylor Escaped? by toshmann(m): 7:10pm On Mar 31, 2006
GL:

They even threatened to stop aids to Nigeria. .
Re: Has Charles Taylor Escaped? by toshmann(m): 7:13pm On Mar 31, 2006
GL:

. They even threatened to stop aids to Nigeria.
WHAT AID BABY,WHAT AID ,REAL AID HAVE THEY GIVEN US. ABEG LEAVE MATTER
Re: Has Charles Taylor Escaped? by ono(m): 9:07am On Apr 04, 2006
We have a twist to how Taylor escaped from Calabar and was re-arrested in the North.

http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=44628

I have said this before that OBJ has a hand in that guys escape from Calabar. He only buckled under pressure to get Charlie boy back, when the US threatened to upset his third term ploys. Ordinarily, he would have allowed Taylor to go without any hitch. GL and co, I have said that we should just watch as events unfold, before we make any conclusion.

Taylor should be punished for his ignoble acts against humanity in Liberia and Sierra-Leone. But his collaborators in other African nations(including Nigeria - OBJ in particular) hiding under any guise should be fished out and summarily sentenced to death.
Re: Has Charles Taylor Escaped? by toshmann(m): 9:16am On Apr 04, 2006
@ono

my brother, i definitely dislike the leadership of obj but let's be more objective about issues. educate me broda, how is obj an accomplice of taylor in the liberian conflict.

teach me, there may be something i don't know. undecided
Re: Has Charles Taylor Escaped? by 2cantango(f): 9:20am On Apr 04, 2006
Being a polite girl I won't write all the words that I feel best describe Taylor angry
He deserves to be punished angry
Re: Has Charles Taylor Escaped? by ono(m): 12:53pm On Apr 04, 2006
@toshmann,
OK, I went too far, but I really meant something like all those who have a hand in depriving innocent women children and people of Africa, generally, of their peace and prosperity should be fished out and punished severely.

Reading through the lines from the link posted(several other newspapers carried thesame story), it's glaring to all that OBJ buckled under pressure to release Charlie boy! By sending the man away from Calabar, and the claim that he was betrayed (not minding what OBJs basketmouth said), one can safely conclude that there was some kind of sinister motives on OBJs part for keeping Taylor in Calabar.

And I know that gradually, all the evil leaders in Africa will one day face judgement, terrible judgement for their evil deeds.
Re: Has Charles Taylor Escaped? by Nobody: 2:28pm On Apr 04, 2006
Interesting.
Re: Has Charles Taylor Escaped? by toshmann(m): 2:33pm On Apr 04, 2006
really interesting
Re: Has Charles Taylor Escaped? by ono(m): 4:37pm On Apr 04, 2006
So, you see, Taylors ''surfacing'' at a Northern border town between Nigeria and Cameroon was actually orchestrated by OBJs boys - the State Security Services, under OBJs watchful eyes.

When the noise about Taylors escape was getting too much, and might jeopardise OBJs third terms agenda and ''runs'', OBJ knew the game was up for Taylor and he had to be ''released'' to those who want him.

So, from the moment he stepped his foot out of Calabar, till when he was caught somewhere far away in the North, Taylor was actually being teleguided by OBJs boys. So, what's the fuss about congratulating OBJ for a job well done in ''capturing'' Taylor on his way out of the country?
Re: Has Charles Taylor Escaped? by demmy(m): 4:49pm On Apr 04, 2006
@ono

I won't take Taylor's word for it if I were you.
Re: Has Charles Taylor Escaped? by ono(m): 5:11pm On Apr 04, 2006
@demmy, The guy's in the net already. He that is down needs fear no fall. He's got nothing to loose by telling the whole world the truth(about his purported escape) as it is.

And when two, three, four and five newspapers carry thesame story about this matter as their headlines, I have no reason to want to disbelieve the man.
Re: Has Charles Taylor Escaped? by Mariory(m): 5:29pm On Apr 04, 2006
@ono
You seem to believe everything you hear just as long as it confirms to want you want to be true. The statement that Nigerian security forces had a hand in Taylor's attempted escape was actually disclosed by Taylor's "spiritual leader" (whatever the hell that means). We don't even know if Taylor actually said that.

Hell will freeze over before I believe a word from the mouth of such a person.
Re: Has Charles Taylor Escaped? by ono(m): 5:50pm On Apr 04, 2006
Applying common sense to the whole episode of Taylors escape in Calabar, I arrive at these points of note:

* OBJ was in the US when it was announced that Taylor escaped from Calabar

* OBJ has been nursing some third term ambitions before now

* Taylors escape from Calabar caused no small uproar in the international community

* Bush might have pushed OBJ to get Taylor or forget his third term ''runs''

* After Taylor was ''caught'' intelligent people knew there was more to his ''capture'' than meets the eye.

* And his (Taylor's) spiritualist has just confirmed our fears. A point of note is the silence of this man on OBJs third term bids, something he's got no idea about. 

* From the link posted, I (personally) have no reason to want to doubt the claims of the spiritualist. He only stated what Taylor told him. He's been a spititualist for Taylor ever since.

And why won't I believe him? OBJ and other top ranking politicians have their names in the Okija Priest Register. So what's the fuss in here? It's possible Taylor's spiritualist is sending spiritual signals to OBJs spiritualits at Okija about the ''deal'' they had on Taylor and how OBJ has now betrayed him. A lot of things happen in the spirit worlds that gets manifested in the physical, y'know.
Re: Has Charles Taylor Escaped? by Mariory(m): 7:09pm On Apr 04, 2006
ono:

Applying common sense to the whole episode of Taylors escape in Calabar, I arrive at these points of note:

* Bush might have pushed OBJ to get Taylor or forget his third term ''runs''

* After Taylor was ''caught'' intelligent people knew there was more to his ''capture'' than meets the eye.

* And his (Taylor's) spiritualist has just confirmed our fears. A point of note is the silence of this man on OBJs third term bids, something he's got no idea about. 

* From the link posted, I (personally) have no reason to want to doubt the claims of the spiritualist. He only stated what Taylor told him. He's been a spititualist for Taylor ever since.

And why won't I believe him? OBJ and other top ranking politicians have their names in the Okija Priest Register. So what's the fuss in here? It's possible Taylor's spiritualist is sending spiritual signals to OBJs spiritualits at Okija about the ''deal'' they had on Taylor and how OBJ has now betrayed him. A lot of things happen in the spirit worlds that gets manifested in the physical, y'know.

All you have are assumptions. First of all Taylor disappeared before Obansanjo left for the US.

I am fasinated though by your comment,
"After Taylor was ''caught'' intelligent people knew there was more to his ''capture'' than meets the eye."
Funny because most intelligent people know to look at things objectively.

Taylor's spiritualist confirmed your fears. It is what you wanted to believe. Again there is no gaurantee that taylor said this. Why hasn't any of Taylor's family members said the same thing? Or Taylor doesn't trust his own family?

This same mad man also stated in the same article you posted.
"Paul said Taylor told him he believed his captors thought he would flee, and that the agents had been ordered to kill him, "but they couldn't because he surrendered without any resistance, and because he had five or six people with him."
Why would Obansanjo want to kill Taylor or are you now going to start saying Obasanjo was involved in the diamond smuggling so you can fit the pieces of the puzzule according to how you want it?

Plus how do you know what names are contained in the Okija Priest Register? Have you seen it? I was under the impression the list has not been released. Could it be that those in fact are simply more assumptions?
Re: Has Charles Taylor Escaped? by owo(m): 11:25pm On Apr 04, 2006
So, is the Taylor-escape-and-capture story as presented by Obasanjo the whole truth, and not but the truth?
Does it really sound strange to say that it was ochestrated?
Are Nigerian security/border officials really impressive.? what are their antecedents? Have they resolve any internal issue before?
Who does not know that the easiest way to leave Nigeria (to Cameroun)?
Only a fool will leave the millions of exits through Ikom, Akamkpa, Taraba , Agokim etc and head for the far Maiduguri exit in order to escape Nigeria (unless he was teleguided).

Just some food for thought as you digest this story.
Re: Has Charles Taylor Escaped? by Badman888(m): 11:41pm On Apr 04, 2006
Charles taylor said Nigeria set him up

http://odili.net/news/source/2006/apr/4/213.html
Re: Has Charles Taylor Escaped? by Ebano(m): 12:59am On Apr 05, 2006
who is saying the truth now? charles taylor or obj and the the presidency? (mind u not nigeria) Only God and those involed know what actually transpired. Did nigeria betray charles taylor ? NOOOOOO If at all, obj did because nigerians never wanted this monster of a war criminal on our soil. And if what charles taylor is saying is true then it will be very difficult for nigerians in general to ever belive anything coming out from obj and the presidency. but the bottom line is that this monster of a war criminal has been caught and is facing justice. Justice for hundreds of thousands people killed maimed and raped by this monster charles taylor.
Re: Has Charles Taylor Escaped? by ono(m): 7:40am On Apr 05, 2006
Mariory:

Plus how do you know what names are contained in the Okija Priest Register? Have you seen it? I was under the impression the list has not been released. Could it be that those in fact are simply more assumptions?

Well, why have they not released the names of the people on that Okija list for all to see up till now?
Re: Has Charles Taylor Escaped? by Mariory(m): 3:58pm On Apr 05, 2006
ono:

Well, why have they not released the names of the people on that Okija list for all to see up till now?

You don't know and I don't know. Only those with access to the list know. Also this same spiritual advisor to Charle's Taylor has been spewing forth more rubbish from his noise hole. As far as I'm concerned, the man is just looking for attention.

http://www.guardiannewsngr.com/news/article06

Badman888:

Charles taylor said Nigeria set him up

http://odili.net/news/source/2006/apr/4/213.html

Charle's Taylor did not say that. The only person that's been saying that is a man who claims to be Taylor's spiritual adviser.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Reuben Abati - Exclusive Interview / AIT Takes Down Site to conceal JonaTAN's Embarrassing Defeat!!! / 5 Different Ways Tinubu Enslaved Lagosians To Join The Billion Dollar Club

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.