Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,845 members, 7,817,495 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:13 PM

As Ogun Wages War Against Crime . - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / As Ogun Wages War Against Crime . (696 Views)

Supreme Court Upholds The Election Of Amosun As Ogun Governor / Fayose To Governors: Cut Your Minimum Wives Not Wages / The UK Govt Goes Full R.E-Tard As It Wages War Against Toddler Terrorists (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

As Ogun Wages War Against Crime . by Gbawe: 12:29pm On Apr 26, 2012
ACN is "the same as the nest of killers PDP" indeed. No Party in Nigeria is like the heartless PDP that goes out of its way to recruit members who prefer only to loot and kill Nigerians.

He noted that it was the first time in the history of Ogun State that the kind of donation was coming up,

http://tribune.com.ng/index.php/features/39862-as-ogun-wages-war-against-crime

As Ogun wages war against crime

| Print | E-mail

Written by Olayinka Olukoya Thursday, 26 April 2012

Olayinka Olukoya was at the inauguration of security equipment procured by the Ogun State government to tackle insecurity situation in the state last Friday, in Abeokuta. Her report.

THAT Ogun State, the Gateway state was under siege of armed robbery cases in the last few months is no longer news, but the good news is that the state government led by Senator Ibikunle Amosun, took the bull by the horn to tackle insecurity situation in the state with the procurement of 13 Armoured Personnel Carriers (APCs), six of which were launched alongside 125 Hilux patrol Vans fully equipped with communication gadgets.

The issue of insecurity had become a major concern to the present administration in its drive to make the state an investment destination of choice for would-be-investors. Armed robbery cases had been on the rise in the state, a situation which forced commercial banks in Ijebu and Remo areas of the state closing their doors on customers.

This development did not in anyway go down well with the state government which believed in adequate protection of lives and properties of residents and also believed that the state could be a factor to reckon with in terms of development.

At the inauguration ceremony held at the Memorial Arcade, Governor's Office, Oke-Mosan, Abeokuta was held last Friday with the acting Inspector General of Police, Alhaji Mohammed Dikko Abubakar, as the special guest of honour at the ceremony.

The ceremony drew eminent Nigerians, including captains of Industries, Bankers' Forum in the state, both foreign and local investors, traditional rulers, political leaders and members of the public, [b]who had all come to catch a glimpse at the latest technology of APCs in the world.[/b]

An elated Amosun in his address said that his administration had fulfilled one of his promises to about 4.8million people of Ogun State in his “Mission to Re-build”, saying that investment could only thrive in a safe environment.

He said security was one of the responsibilities of any government to safeguard lives and properties of residents of the state, adding that for security to be effective, it must be two or three steps more sophisticated than the technology and brain behind the criminality.

The governor admitted that men of the underworld through their nefarious activities threatened the peace of the state, this gave rise to the determination of his government through the purchase of the security equipment to combat crime in the state.

He maintained that the state government had embarked on the security mapping, which would help in dividing the state in to security zones and make effective mobilisation of security agencies to tackle crime in different zones of the state.

He said, “We have taken this step to invest in the security of the state because as a responsible government, we cannot fold our arms and watch as our people are continually harassed by gangs of hoodlums who carry out their dare-devil operations in broad daylight not only in homes, but even places that were thought to be well secured.

“It is our belief that the people of Ogun State should, and must, be secured to go about their socio-economic activities during the day and sleep with their two eyes closed at night. For this reason, we will continue to support all security agencies in our state.”

Governor Amosun expressed gratitude to President Goodluck Jonathan for assisting the state in the procurement of the APCs and for also approving the duty waiver, noting that the APCs and 125 Hilux vans would help the Joint Police/Military task force launched recently by the state government in performing its duty effectively.

He, however, appealed to all well -meaning individuals and corporate organisations in the state to support the drive for development in the state by contributing their quota to the Security Trust Fund.

Amosun commended the commercial banks for donating generously into the project and specifically thanked the Ogun State Traditional Council for donating N20 million towards securing the state.

“Let me therefore use this opportunity to call on individuals and organisations of the state. We have established the
Security Trust Fund. The purpose of this is to create an avenue for private individuals and organisations to support the government in tackling all kinds of security challenges in the state, through sourcing for resources, and efficiency deploying such resources to achieve the objective of a safe and secure environment.

“I call on all our people, individuals and organisations to donate generously to this Fund. It is noteworthy that while our administration has since its inception invested about N3bn on security, we have yet to touch a kobo of the Security Trust Fund,” he noted.

The Acting IGP said that the donation of the APCs and patrol vans indicated the willingness and commitment of the state government to guard and protect lives and properties.

He noted that it was the first time in the history of Ogun State that the kind of donation was coming up, saying that there was no state in the federation that had donated the kind of equipment.

He said that the country was being confronted by daunting security challenges, assuring Nigerians that with their assistance and support, the new police administration would do everything within its power to ensure security of lives and properties.

He said, "I have worked in every part of the country; there is no state in this country that has donated what you have donated. I want to use this opportunity to invite foreign investors to come to Ogun State and do what they are supposed to do because the governor has taken a giant stride, this step you've taken will hasten development in the state."

He warned that his administration would no longer tolerate carelessness and negligence to duty from any policeman in the state, urging them to be committed, dedicated, and sincere in the discharge of their duties.

The Abeokuta Branch Controller of Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), Mr Olumuyiwa Ojuawo, lauded the initiative of the state government for taking pro-active step against criminality in the state.

He added that "the fear of looking at the windows that they are coming again would not be there anymore. With the security equipment, we have enough confidence in delivering our mandate."

The CBN branch controller also said the step by the state government was in the right direction, as he said "like me and every other banker in the state this step taken by the governor is going to help deliver our mandate."

The state Commissioner for Police, Mr Ikemefuna Okoye, assured the IGP of the command's readiness to combat robbery in the state.

"I want to assure the IGP that with the commissioning of the state-of-the art equipment provided by the governor, the police will always be combat ready to deal decisively with any form of crime and criminality in the state," he added.
Re: As Ogun Wages War Against Crime . by blacksta(m): 1:44pm On Apr 26, 2012
Well Done Sir - with the right will power - Nigerians will gradually see development
Re: As Ogun Wages War Against Crime . by aljharem(m): 1:56pm On Apr 26, 2012
About time, the amount of armed robbers in Ogun has risen mainly due to migration and the porous security network in Nigeria.
Re: As Ogun Wages War Against Crime . by Nobody: 2:14pm On Apr 26, 2012
I really like what Amosun is doing in Ogun, he is actually performing well above my expectations. He is very focused. I am also impressed with the Ogun state investment forum held last month.
Re: As Ogun Wages War Against Crime . by Gbawe: 5:30pm On Apr 26, 2012
blacksta: Well Done Sir - with the right will power - Nigerians will gradually see development

Indeed. Most times, all it take is just for leaders to have a little empathy for those they lead. Why, if still a human being, wickedly embezzle all the money meant to develop Nigerians plus keep them safe and healthy? We all know how rewarding Nigerian public office is already. Our legislators are the best paid in the world for god sake. Why then loot so unconscionably?

For me that is what sets ACN leaders , even if not saints, apart from PDP leaders who are outright murderers and criminals no better, in reality, than Anini and Osunbor. Indeed, if still alive, Anini and Osunbor could be PDP Governors today.
Re: As Ogun Wages War Against Crime . by Gbawe: 6:01pm On Apr 26, 2012
saxywale: I really like what Amosun is doing in Ogun, he is actually performing well above my expectations. He is very focused. I am also impressed with the Ogun state investment forum held last month.

This is the sort of thread that shows how negative and perverse Nairalanders are. If this is a thread highlighting how ACN Governors have done nothing since gaining power, we would be on page 12 by now. I guess many are too damaged to realise that we must criticise but acknowledge genuine effort and encourage administrators also when they do well.

1 Like

Re: As Ogun Wages War Against Crime . by Afam4eva(m): 6:07pm On Apr 26, 2012
Let's see how the security situation is tackled.
Re: As Ogun Wages War Against Crime . by jason123: 7:40pm On Apr 26, 2012
nice one !
Re: As Ogun Wages War Against Crime . by emiye(m): 2:02am On Apr 27, 2012
Great news!!!

(1) (Reply)

Senator Ojudu Wants Corrupt Leaders Shot / Three South-south Governors Who Will Make A Better President / President Jonathan’s Principled Defence Of Corruption By Ogaga Ifowodo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.