Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,747 members, 7,824,149 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:47 AM

Pep Guardiola Set To Step Down As Barcelona Manager - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Pep Guardiola Set To Step Down As Barcelona Manager (7487 Views)

Tito Vilanova Steps-down As Barcelona Coach / Pep Guardiola Confirmed As Bayern Munich Manager / Tito Vilanova Replaces Pep Guardiola As Barcelona Coach (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pep Guardiola Set To Step Down As Barcelona Manager by Jeel: 11:46pm On Apr 26, 2012
Barcelona head coach Pep Guardiola is expected to announce he is quitting the club on Friday, according to Spanish media reports.
Guardiola is believed to have had a meeting with club president Sandro Rosell this week, during which the 41-year-old outlined his intention to resign.

The Spaniard apparently told club administrators he was mentally and physically drained after four years at Camp Nou.

It has been a difficult year for Guardiola and his side, considered by many as the greatest team of all time.

The defending champions bowed out of the Champions League semi-finals against Chelsea on Tuesday, and lost to arch rivals Real Madrid on Saturday, all but ending their La Liga title hopes.

In his first season at the club in 2008, Guardiola's team won a La Liga, Copa del Rey and Champions League treble - he's claimed 13 titles in all at the Nou Camp.

He is now expected to take a year-long break from football and it is thought he has ambitions to work in the English Premier League.

Barcelona are believed to have already identified Athletic Bilbao coach Marcelo Bielsa as his ideal successor, Goal.com understands.

The Argentine is out of contract in the summer and has the unanimous backing of the Barca board, as well as that of Guardiola, who considers Bielsa the best coach in the game today.

Indeed, it is thought that Guardiola may even be asked to attempt to persuade Bielsa to make the move.

Should the 56-year-old Bielsa reject the offer, Barcelona will then seek to appoint someone from within Guardiola's inner circle, namely assistant Tito Vilanova, former B team boss Luis Enrique, who is currently in charge of Roma, or even ex-youth team coach Oscar Garcia.

Failing that, Barca could turn to former Villarreal coach Ernesto Valverde, or a foreign alternative, such as Germany's Joachim Low.

However, the club's directors do not believe it will come to that as they are confident of landing Bielsa, their prime candidate for the position.

http://sports.opera.com/?sport=news&page=news&view=article&news_id=26681

1 Like

Re: Pep Guardiola Set To Step Down As Barcelona Manager by Jeel: 11:49pm On Apr 26, 2012
It is best for barca,his exhaution is showing on the team
Re: Pep Guardiola Set To Step Down As Barcelona Manager by Nobody: 9:33am On Apr 27, 2012
How can u say Pep is Argentine?
Re: Pep Guardiola Set To Step Down As Barcelona Manager by jaybee3(m): 9:36am On Apr 27, 2012
odiaero: How can u say Pep is Argentine?

Jeel:

Barcelona are believed to have already identified Athletic Bilbao coach Marcelo Bielsa as his ideal successor, Goal.com understands.

The Argentine is out of contract in the summer and has the unanimous backing of the Barca board, as well as that of Guardiola, who considers Bielsa the best coach in the game today.
Re: Pep Guardiola Set To Step Down As Barcelona Manager by Nobody: 9:36am On Apr 27, 2012
Best to leave before it all goes downhill.
I can't call Pep a good manager till he proves himself at another club.
Re: Pep Guardiola Set To Step Down As Barcelona Manager by 9jaIhail(m): 9:38am On Apr 27, 2012
The fear of Chelsea is the begging of wisdom.

1 Like

Re: Pep Guardiola Set To Step Down As Barcelona Manager by Nobody: 9:39am On Apr 27, 2012
jay bee:

Tnx for that, too much fast reading
Re: Pep Guardiola Set To Step Down As Barcelona Manager by Nobody: 9:45am On Apr 27, 2012
eyinnba need's coach i hope pep is reading this on NL now undecided

9ja_I_hail: The fear of Chelsea is the begging of wisdom.

cheesy
Re: Pep Guardiola Set To Step Down As Barcelona Manager by doctokwus: 9:54am On Apr 27, 2012
BlueDiva: Best to leave before it all goes downhill.
With 13 trophies including 2champions league& world championship,he has to prove himself first b4 being acknowledged as an excellent coach,u must b joking.Pep needs d challenge of anoda league,but he is definitely one of d great thinkers in d game today along wt mourinho,sir Alex& Wenger
Re: Pep Guardiola Set To Step Down As Barcelona Manager by seguntijan(m): 9:54am On Apr 27, 2012
The fear of jose mourinho the begining of wisdom
Re: Pep Guardiola Set To Step Down As Barcelona Manager by maclatunji: 9:56am On Apr 27, 2012
BlueDiva: Best to leave before it all goes downhill.

I feel like slapping the teeth out of your e-mouth. cheesy
Re: Pep Guardiola Set To Step Down As Barcelona Manager by otokx(m): 9:58am On Apr 27, 2012
Nice move by Pep
Re: Pep Guardiola Set To Step Down As Barcelona Manager by Yorisb: 9:58am On Apr 27, 2012
The end of an era for Barca is nigh. . .and inevitably so. Yippee!
Re: Pep Guardiola Set To Step Down As Barcelona Manager by timpaker(m): 10:07am On Apr 27, 2012
odiaero: How can u say Pep is Argentine?

learn to read through the words....

Jeel: The Spaniard apparently told club administrators he was mentally and physically drained after four years at Camp Nou.

Re: Pep Guardiola Set To Step Down As Barcelona Manager by Silva79(f): 10:19am On Apr 27, 2012
U don try my guy.
Re: Pep Guardiola Set To Step Down As Barcelona Manager by linkin8k(m): 10:20am On Apr 27, 2012
up to date info on

www.coresoccer..com

1 Like

Re: Pep Guardiola Set To Step Down As Barcelona Manager by mizne1: 10:26am On Apr 27, 2012
Believe in yourself, you think? [img]http://www.spgames.info/g.gif[/img]
Re: Pep Guardiola Set To Step Down As Barcelona Manager by sholatech(m): 10:26am On Apr 27, 2012
Only biased haters can degrade Pep. With time, you will understand that he's one of the best strategists ever in football. Is it easy to win a treble in your first assignment as a league club coach?Did Mou achieve that?
Another coach looking for money would have gone ahead to sign with another club(he has loads of offers!), but he is spending 1 year to go back and invent another style of football. I wish he can be on retainer with Barca after his 1 year leave. Any club that lands him then will have a treasure in their hands.
He knew since he'll leave end of this season;you can understand his numerous experiments with 3-4-3 and also honing the skills of La Masia guys like Thiago, Tello, Cuenca etc thus bequeating some assets to the new manager. And you can also see him involved in getting a new coach for the club. I doff my hat for Pep!!
Re: Pep Guardiola Set To Step Down As Barcelona Manager by purplekayc(m): 10:38am On Apr 27, 2012
Pep Guardiola to end reign as Barcelona coach in summer

Pep Guardiola will stand down as Barcelona manager at the end of the season after deciding not to renew his rolling one-year contract.

The 41-year-old, who made 479 appearances for Barca between 1990 and 2001, was appointed in 2008 and has led the Catalan club to 13 trophies.

But they look set to miss out to Real Madrid in La Liga and were knocked out of the Champions League by Chelsea.

It is understood that Guardiola will take a year-long break from the game.

An 1100 BST press conference has been called at the Nou Camp, where he is expected to explain the decision.

More to follow.
Re: Pep Guardiola Set To Step Down As Barcelona Manager by Fairgodwin(m): 10:39am On Apr 27, 2012
sholatech: Only biased haters can degrade Pep. With time, you will understand that he's one of the best strategists ever in football. Is it easy to win a treble in your first assignment as a league club coach?Did Mou achieve that?
Another coach looking for money would have gone ahead to sign with another club(he has loads of offers!), but he is spending 1 year to go back and invent another style of football. I wish he can be on retainer with Barca after his 1 year leave. Any club that lands him then will have a treasure in their hands.
He knew since he'll leave end of this season;you can understand his numerous experiments with 3-4-3 and also honing the skills of La Masia guys like Thiago, Tello, Cuenca etc thus bequeating some assets to the new manager. And you can also see him involved in getting a new coach for the club. I doff my hat for Pep!!
You made so much sense! I really wanted to say otherwise; though a Barça fan myself. Thanks for this.
Re: Pep Guardiola Set To Step Down As Barcelona Manager by kaze4blues(m): 10:42am On Apr 27, 2012
'An actor leaves d stage wen d ovation is loudest'. Weldone Pep
Re: Pep Guardiola Set To Step Down As Barcelona Manager by cyril83(m): 10:43am On Apr 27, 2012
Pep is nothing buh a coward...y is allowing chesea's victory to weigh him down...dats one of di attribute of a poor and incompetemt coach...let him Bleep off if he wants to
Re: Pep Guardiola Set To Step Down As Barcelona Manager by cold(m): 10:45am On Apr 27, 2012
This is a man with his pride intact.One trophyless season (ok with the exception of the King's Cup)& he's planning to step down.How long has Arsenal remained trophyless again?
Re: Pep Guardiola Set To Step Down As Barcelona Manager by cyril83(m): 10:51am On Apr 27, 2012
maclatunji:

u shud slap ursef 1st b4 tinkin of passin it to anoda person...bluediva makes a reasonable comment and hia u want to turn ursef to a rogue...let him try anoda club b4 we cud give any rating,jose mourinho has proved to us,roberto di matteo is on his way coming,mancini is tryin his best so let him fuckin try anoda club b4 we cud call him di best
Re: Pep Guardiola Set To Step Down As Barcelona Manager by cyril83(m): 10:57am On Apr 27, 2012
cold: This is a man with his pride intact.One trophyless season (ok with the exception of the King's Cup)& he's planning to step down.How long has Arsenal remained trophyless again?
God bless u my broda

1 Like

Re: Pep Guardiola Set To Step Down As Barcelona Manager by MrTA(m): 10:57am On Apr 27, 2012
cyril83: Pep is nothing buh a coward...y is allowing chesea's victory to weigh him down...dats one of di attribute of a poor and incompetemt coach...let him Bleep off if he wants to

Its not that though. Pep even said he was considering leaving the game last season as well after the CL win. He's felt he needed the break from the game for a while now. I think its a shame he's leaving and hopefully will be back soon.
Re: Pep Guardiola Set To Step Down As Barcelona Manager by ignis: 11:04am On Apr 27, 2012
cyril83: Pep is nothing buh a coward...y is allowing chesea's victory to weigh him down...dats one of di attribute of a poor and incompetemt coach...let him Bleep off if he wants to
Do u knw wat it means to be kicked out of champions league and la liga within a week?
Re: Pep Guardiola Set To Step Down As Barcelona Manager by stepo707: 11:07am On Apr 27, 2012
I respect Pep a lot.Let him go get sufficient rest and by next season am sure he would have an outstanding performance.
Re: Pep Guardiola Set To Step Down As Barcelona Manager by Olalekan0(m): 11:09am On Apr 27, 2012
maclatunji:

Pep needs to prove himself at a mid-table team before he can be rightly judged "one of the best thinkers" as even chairman christian chukwu would win trophies in that star-studded barca side.
Re: Pep Guardiola Set To Step Down As Barcelona Manager by Emperoh(m): 11:16am On Apr 27, 2012
Bielsa!!!!
This will be an excellent choice.
Dude is one of d most technically sound Coach I have come across in football.
Re: Pep Guardiola Set To Step Down As Barcelona Manager by kezy4(m): 11:26am On Apr 27, 2012
I am not a Barca fan but of Real Madrid. Pep Guardiola is an excellent coach. He does not really need to go to another club before u can term him as a good coach. A man has 13 perfect trophies in his wardrobe, what do you want again.

For now, he is the best rated coach until January.

2 Likes

Re: Pep Guardiola Set To Step Down As Barcelona Manager by sholatech(m): 11:27am On Apr 27, 2012
It is not a criteria for becoming the best coach. Do you think Mourinho or Sir Alex Ferguson will also waste their time to work with a middle-table team. You must be dreaming!
In case you don't know, he groomed most of the players you called star-studded in La Masia.
Even Shaibu Amodu will also win treble in his first season with Real Madrid given the presence of red-hot two former world footballers of the year and a cheque to assemble the most expensive first 11!
Pep is a man who knows what he wants, he was always signing 1-year contracts and even wanted to leave after last season.
It is not any chelsea loss that affected him. He is on his way to rest and bounce back!

Olalekan 0: Pep needs to prove himself at a mid-table team before he can be rightly judged "one of the best thinkers" as even chairman christian chukwu would win trophies in that star-studded barca side.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Who Has Been The Best Defender So Far In Premier League This 2009/10? / World Best Player 2010(Lionel Messi);Do You Agree With Fifa? / Manchester City Vs Marseille : UCL (3 - 0) On 9th December 2020

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.