Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,325 members, 7,864,552 topics. Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 08:27 PM

Dredging Of River Niger Completed – Obi’s Aide - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Dredging Of River Niger Completed – Obi’s Aide (5166 Views)

Anambra Election Protesters Are Not Igbos – Obi’s Aide / Okorocha, Umeh Are Ingrates — Obi’s Aide / Okorocha Punches Governor Obi’s Aide Over Seat! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dredging Of River Niger Completed – Obi’s Aide by manny4life(m): 2:20am On Apr 29, 2012
Dede1:

Bros, I heeded to your advice and found that container ships with onboard cranes were old ships that were, in fact, used for high sea transfer of containers. The new ships do not have onboard cranes. In fact, one article suggested the cranes were removed to provide additional container space on the ship.

I am not oblivious to the fact container ships had onboard cranes but seriously doubted the high sea transfer operation with respect to Nigeria.

Perhaps you're right, and I'm wrong, however, be it as it may, they say a picture (s) speaks better that a thousand words. The pictures of the Mearsk and llyod lines (newer ones 10,000+ TEUs) unless if I'm wrong on this one, their cranes extend from their bridge. Then again, I could be all wrong.

You misunderstand me, I was only explaining the theory behind how a model works and explained a clear possibility for future potential how things might work. Transfer operations will be in inevitable in as long as shipping companies sees a potential. Now it doesn't have to a giant ocean liner doing a transfer, but a mid-size vessel can do just to service that market.

My point of all I've been saying is, in as long as their is demand and market for it (demand for goods to arrive/depart in/from Onitsha), shipping companies will fill that gap. There's no doubt in my mind that they cannot perform operations such as this, after all, smaller market than Onitsha has been served using same theory.
Re: Dredging Of River Niger Completed – Obi’s Aide by Musiwa51: 2:30am On Apr 29, 2012
It is a stupid idea to have onitsha port, even while you people may call me name. Look even the port we have nobody is using it. people are been emotion. I am different from you nigerian..
Re: Dredging Of River Niger Completed – Obi’s Aide by aljharem(m): 2:48am On Apr 29, 2012
Musiwa..:
It is a stupid idea to have onitsha port, even while you people may call me name. Look even the port we have nobody is using it. people are been emotion. I am different from you nigerian..

gbam !!

complete waste of money

port harcourt port is wasting while the nigerian government waste money on a river port ? embarassed
Re: Dredging Of River Niger Completed – Obi’s Aide by GAR3TH(m): 3:09am On Apr 29, 2012
The Niger River Shipping Channel will be a minimum of 60 metres wide with a minimum depth of 2.5 metres [8.2Ft]

http://www.terra-et-aqua.com/dmdocuments/Terra_121_4.pdf

That confirms what I said before that large vessels will not be navigating the waterway but rather small River barges and transport ferries.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

GEJ: I Will Not Go To Sambisa Forest But....(Pic) / Dear APC: Abacha And Buhari Stole Up To $ 5 Billion From PTF / Standing For The Peoples' Democratic Party

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.