Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,564 members, 7,816,379 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:25 AM

10 Reasons Why It Is 10 Times Harder For Ladies To Get A Suitor In Lagos - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / 10 Reasons Why It Is 10 Times Harder For Ladies To Get A Suitor In Lagos (1750 Views)

For Ladies Who Grew Up In The Village. Did You Do This (picture) / Man Insists On Seeing Suitor's Office Before Blessing The Marriage / Is Anything Wrong With Marrying Your First Suitor? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Reasons Why It Is 10 Times Harder For Ladies To Get A Suitor In Lagos by meetmeonline: 12:43pm On Apr 27, 2012
I have come to realise the existence of this problem on my own.

Do not doubt me if I say Ladies do not get suitors in Lagos State Nigeria but win them…Yes! I mean “win them” because it is many times harder for a single lady living in the mega city to hear those sweetest four letter words “will you marry me” from any guy. Please do not mistake “you will marry me” for “will you marry me?” this is because they mean two different things; a lot of girls have been told the earlier but only a few eventually hear the later.

I have identified ten (10) real reasons why this may happen.

Reading the reasons below, you will see why some imbalance abound in compensating for more wives that come-in to more marriage proposals that takes-out, thus leaving more wanting women than men in a tray of equal numbers.

Enjoy my thoughts:

1. COMPETITION WITH SINGLES FROM OTHER STATES: This is the major reason I have identified that tends to distract our bachelors the most. The same magnet that pulls everyone to seeking settlement in Lagos has also kept our sisters in other state in unrest. Every girl is constantly in touch with the one she knew in the city and pushes to appease him day and night just to win his heart and join him in for life. The prestige in living in the town has made our young bachelors become hotcake nationally thereby making the babes within work harder.

But in other states: Number of waiting girls is reduced (possibly to Lagos) and no competition coming from outside, rather potential wives become scarce within to win the all vacancies.

2. HIGH AVERAGE “SETTLE-DOWN” AGE: [/b]In most small states life is easy, low cost and may be enjoyed even in low or no income and residents of these areas easily get all resources and may decide to get married early. The average age of settling down in the North-central and North-western parts of Nigeria may see around 24 for guys and 18 for girls but may get as high as 32-27 respectively in Lagos.

[b]But in other states:
The average potential wife is younger and feels she still have got time to join the competition, thereby making things easy for seeking ladies.

3. HIGH COST OF LIVING: [/b]The cost of starting an average family in the town called Lagos state of Nigeria is way into the clouds. This is due to the high cost of living: when a young graduate thinks of getting a helpmeet and remembers how he will have to spend nearly half a million naira in getting the basic accommodation and the next half just to give it a little touch of facelift in acquiring furniture, the thoughts fly away thereby making him appear like he is not willing to ask for marriage.

[b]But in other states:
Guys get the little cash required (quickly and easily) to say the good words to their girls early.

4. LIVING STANDARDS OF GIRLS IN THE CITY: Some spinsters in Lagos have adopted a high burning level that they live their usual life daily, spending as much as 5,000-N10,000 on transport, meals and “buy-buy”. That’s a whooping N70,000 weekly and N300,000 monthly and when an average-income-Nigerian-suitor sees this, he gets intimidated and keep his intentions in his belly.

But in other states: Ladies enjoy a lifestyle that still permits spending very little and when suitors size this within their income they see a good reason why they should believe they can cope.

5. SOCIAL ISSUES: I have made a careful observation and discovered that though we may be very exposed, we are truly not social people here in Lagos. People walk past others and even brush shoulders but do not care about whom the other person is. Places like Warri and Aba have people who can tell the names of everyone living in a street as far as 2-3 streets away. But the kind of socializing in the mega city makes it difficult to even know how many kids have your over-the-fence neighbour got. This lifestyle have kept people to themselves and have not made room for good mixup that steers inhabitants into couples .

But in other states: [/b]They live in one social community, guys are certain about who they pick and thereby not delaying in more search or needing any recommendation.

[b]6. ANONYMITY:
Lagos state is entirely filled with immigrants coming from all part of the continent and even the globe. The town is packed with people of diverse and strange culture and belief living in one environment. By this, a guy finds it hard to tell or trace the origin of the other and therefore cannot consider risking the once-in-a-lifetime decision on a stranger rather looking within the girls far home to take as wife.

But in other states: They live in an environment of common dialect and known culture which greatly enhances companionship.

7. BUSY LIFESTYLE VERSUS MATTERS OF THE HEART: The cares, worries and hustling associated with living in this mega city to realize dreams is taking away a lot of minds from things of the heart. Most guys want to meet up with a class and therefore see settling down as a setback to realizing this.

But in other states: Guys make a living with little or no stress, working few hours daily and therefore can afford to spend the rest in building a strong relationship that sooner leads to marriage.

8. OVERRATION INDUCED INFERIORITY COMPLEX FROM EXTERNAL SUITORS: [/b]Only few guys living outside Lagos state have got the balls to take a Lagosian as wife this is because of overestimation from them. I well agree they are amongst the most expensive, civilized and exposed but the hype our ladies get from guys not living in Lagos is just overrated (do not mean to be offensive) and this has given a rather negative impression that they cannot be managed or pleased when they become wives.

[b]But in other states:
A bachelor is confident and believes in his perception of the girls around and in other similar states and therefore ready to take one, leaving their counterparts in the mega city to the mercy of the guys that know how to handle them.

9. NUMBER OF STREET GIRLS: The function of Lagos metropolis and the quest to be amongst the city class have seen and exodus of street girls moving into the town to make it at all cost. A number of these girls have gotten so desperate and resorted to chasing after bachelors to get an opportunity to stay put in the town as his wife. They give what you cannot give him, call him when you forgot to call him and make him feel like a baby when you think he must be a man. And if your man is eating from this pot behind you, he’ll choose to maintain his silence (not proposing) while stocks last.

But in other states: Street girls chase only after money and do not get desperate to catch guys with potentials because they will not give for free, thereby allowing people in a relationship some space to concentrate

10. PURSUIT FOR A HIGHER STATUS: This is one area our ladies totally fault at; it takes a very careful planning and prioritizing for a woman to win in both home and career. It is either she is too busy to meeting relationship demands or she keeps an ordinary career just to have time for her home (but that happened during our mama years). Most ladies now believe that “if technology brings him in touch with me, I may not have to see him the whole week” thereby chasing after wealth and stardom instead of giving him reasons to dream of you in his kitchen. It is excellent idea to develop yourself and not have any man mess with you but you cannot have your cake and eat it too.

But in other states: Most of the ladies do not worry about status and this helps give room to enough time to concentrate on meeting relationship demands which easily lead to marriage.

I have not included items like “trust” and “bad character” because these only affect girls that decided not to pretend as others do. Most people only come to realize the real person they have married as soon as they have landed in that point of no return (not intending to be offensive).

I also want to note that I have written the above, based on the fact that I understand your “boyfriend” is not your “suitor” until he hands the bottle over to your people and that the average suitor today is still never as rich as what we see in nollywood movies but just okay. Mind you when he is super rich, he is not ready or marriable, when he is marriable; he is not super rich and when he is both super rich and marriable; he must have inherited and will be controlled by his family (there is no free lunch anywhere!)

I want to read your views on the above or other reasons added to it.

Remember, please read only and enjoy to cool your keyboard (if you have nothing good to write)

I would be happy to get views from mature singles

No firebacks, no bad-mouth, no unnecessary quoting lets all do a research on this by getting the best views and arriving to facts that may help heal the problem.

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons Why It Is 10 Times Harder For Ladies To Get A Suitor In Lagos by maclatunji: 1:02pm On Apr 27, 2012
You have tried in your analysis. For a person like me, I can guarantee you that I wouldn't consider 90% of the single women in my immediate environment- Lagos at all for marriage. Religion has already disqualified about half (50%), then my personal tastes disqualifies like another 15%, their readiness and availability like another 15%. The probability of meeting the 'right' kind of woman at all takes the other 10% (We could be in the same bus and wouldn't see each other and God would just be 'laughing' at us).

Even for the other 10% that I would consider, let's say 3% would not like me either, so I am now left with about 7% which is okay, I only need one out of whatever figure that amounts to. tongue grin
Re: 10 Reasons Why It Is 10 Times Harder For Ladies To Get A Suitor In Lagos by Nobody: 2:36pm On Apr 27, 2012
Nice one.but I differ on the condition of lagos being differnt to other states. Marriage often happens in the university of post secondary and tertiary stages, where relationships start. I know a number of friends who have married people they met from that stage in Life. I believe that stage contributes a higher percentage to those that get married(Nysc inclusive) After those stages life tends to become a circle of smaller individuals in the total population so you are limited to the prevalent conditions in your area.
My problems with lagos is, people are either too proud, aggresive or insultive and that tends to work against a cordial atmosphere that can bring unity and spread. A lot of women are nice, beautiful but unmarried in other states too.Husbands are few across naija because of the economy
Re: 10 Reasons Why It Is 10 Times Harder For Ladies To Get A Suitor In Lagos by ifyalways(f): 2:48pm On Apr 27, 2012
@OP,how parade?
Have you finally married the single mom you said u were/are dating ?

I want come una wedding!
Re: 10 Reasons Why It Is 10 Times Harder For Ladies To Get A Suitor In Lagos by moremi2008(m): 3:05pm On Apr 27, 2012
This is the most nonsensical article I have ever read! Just a bunch of made-up facts and unfounded theories. lol

(1) (Reply)

How To Know What Happens At Your Absence, Leaving Your Kids To Your Househelp!!! / Mother Or Father's Family....which One Are You Close To / Its Advisable For Pregnant Women/new Born Baby To Take Honey?if Yes,any Benefit

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.