Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,436 members, 7,819,590 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:37 PM

Is It Necessary To 'try' And Adapt An American,west Indian Or British Accent ? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Is It Necessary To 'try' And Adapt An American,west Indian Or British Accent ? (4299 Views)

Hero:king JAJA OF OPOBO Full Biography,history Battle With The British(pictures) / British Tottenham Choir Singing Yoruba song - Ise Oluwa / Adapt To African Culture (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Necessary To 'try' And Adapt An American,west Indian Or British Accent ? by britgirlee(f): 8:05am On Nov 10, 2007
Just a personal observation I'm sure shared by some others smiley

I have noticed that some Nigerians/Africans find it necessary to adapt the accent and some times mannerisms of the mentioned cultures.

*NB (I am aware it could be said this happens all over the world.*) keeping the discussion minimised to Nigeria/Africa

Even after only a week in some cases the American, West Indian or British twang is becoming evident undecided and the mannerisms i.e the walk,dress sense and even in some cases the native tongue (Yoruba/Hausa/Ibo etc) is beginning to get mixed up with this sudden change of 'identity' shocked

In one case I was approached by a Nigerian guy 'bowling' up to me (the limp, hop swagger walk) and in the strongest African accent with the American twang said to me "waazzzzzzzz up baby gaul" my name is 'Jydeee' .

I just said don't you mean 'JIDE'?? and left him standing there shocked

Or the case of the young lady who was on a radio station (London) obvious to every one listening that this person had an Nigerian accent she already mentioned her name as 'Sadie' I think she meant 'SHADE' speaking with an American twang.

The radio host said hey so were in the states are you from the girl said California when asked where in California she started to stutter and then put the phone down lipsrsealed undecided

I'm proud of my heritage

Your views please guys wink
Re: Is It Necessary To 'try' And Adapt An American,west Indian Or British Accent ? by Tonim(f): 8:46am On Nov 10, 2007
hmmm ,
Re: Is It Necessary To 'try' And Adapt An American,west Indian Or British Accent ? by spoilt(f): 8:55am On Nov 10, 2007
lots of nigerians overseas will try to sound american or british. Its amusing to listen to them. I guess they do it for acceptance or something. They insist that's the only way they can be understood when they speak. They just sound demented. I just think it would be really absurd if every single person on earth sounded american or british or western. Diversity is beauty.
Re: Is It Necessary To 'try' And Adapt An American,west Indian Or British Accent ? by britgirlee(f): 11:06am On Nov 10, 2007
spoilt,
spoilt:

lots of nigerians overseas will try to sound american or british. Its amusing to listen to them. I guess they do it for acceptance or something. They insist that's the only way they can be understood when they speak. They just sound demented. I just think it would be really absurd if every single person on earth sounded american or british or western. Diversity is beauty.

maybe it is an acceptance thing, or maybe even in thier own little way seen as'cool' in the words of 'Bob Marley' Buffalo soldier

"stolen from Africa brought to America fighing for survival",,,,,, grin
Re: Is It Necessary To 'try' And Adapt An American,west Indian Or British Accent ? by doyin13(m): 11:14am On Nov 10, 2007
When in X(where X is a place anywhere in the world grin) do as the X'ers do wink
Re: Is It Necessary To 'try' And Adapt An American,west Indian Or British Accent ? by britgirlee(f): 11:19am On Nov 10, 2007
grin grin grin grin grin grin

Doyin is that so , oh please you obviously havnt been party to this , or you do it your self sweetie its all good grin
doyin13:

When in X(where X is a place anywhere in the world grin) do as the X'ers do wink
Re: Is It Necessary To 'try' And Adapt An American,west Indian Or British Accent ? by wham(m): 1:20pm On Nov 10, 2007
@Topic

True talk

Stemming out from a deeply rooted inferiority complex undecided

Shame on them all
Re: Is It Necessary To 'try' And Adapt An American,west Indian Or British Accent ? by ow11(m): 4:05pm On Nov 10, 2007
wham:

@Topic

True talk

Stemming out from a deeply rooted inferiority complex undecided

that is the main reason. Its just so stupid. The fact is they don't even sound non-Nigerian. I also think because they are ashamed to be associated with Nigeria

doyin13:

so how come when americans come to nigeria, they don't copy our accents? or even loose a bit.
Re: Is It Necessary To 'try' And Adapt An American,west Indian Or British Accent ? by chiogo(f): 5:39pm On Nov 10, 2007
"When in Rome, do as the romans do" but that doesn't mean u have to make a fool of yourself.

@poster, i've seen such things too.it's just funny to me. yeah, i agree u gotta make yourself understandable but here in America, when u fake accent, u're makin' a fool of yourself, forget what u see in naija movies. Just because everywhere in America, english is spoken doesn't mean every state speak that "english" d same way. There are Americans from here MA who won't understand what an American from CA speaks because their accents are different. There's a new girl at my school from Bermuda, she got a weird accent, nobody understands her like that. See, it's no use foolin' yourself, just be yourself(and i hope that doesn't mean actin' stupid tho) because believe it or not, not everyone would understand u wherever u go, so they might as well get used to YOU. Jamaicans speak with their accents all the time and people think it's cool. Idk why naija people do that tho but if u have stayed at d place for a long time and really mastered d accent, fine but for new-comers, just quit all that!!
Re: Is It Necessary To 'try' And Adapt An American,west Indian Or British Accent ? by younghoodi(m): 5:48pm On Nov 10, 2007
chiogo:

"When in Rome, do as the romans do" but that doesn't mean u have to make a fool of yourself.

@poster, i've seen such things too.it's just funny to me. yeah, i agree u gotta make yourself understandable but here in America, when u fake accent, u're makin' a fool of yourself, forget what u see in naija movies. Just because everywhere in America, english is spoken doesn't mean every state speak that "english" d same way. There are Americans from here MA who won't understand what an American from CA speaks because their accents are different. There's a new girl at my school from Bermuda, she got a weird accent, nobody understands her like that. See, it's no use foolin' yourself, just be yourself(and i hope that doesn't mean actin' stupid tho) because believe it or not, not everyone would understand u wherever u go, so they might as well get used to YOU. Jamaicans speak with their accents all the time and people think it's cool. Idk why naija people do that tho but if u have stayed at d place for a long time and really mastered d accent, fine but for new-comers, just quit all that!!

killacali niggas don't got accent they speak just like new-york niggas but the only thing diff is that they speak gang language like calling each other cuzz and blood trust me when i was in compton i feelt like i was in new-york if u talk about accent the dirty south niggas got hard ass accent sometimes they make u want to said wtf? are u talking about.
Re: Is It Necessary To 'try' And Adapt An American,west Indian Or British Accent ? by MoOdYLaDy(f): 6:03pm On Nov 10, 2007
This is so true, the worst ones are the Yorubas (their accent is so thick) who just got of the plane trying act all Americans, we that have been here for 7-8yrs don't even force ourselves trying to sound all Americanize.

To me, I see it has inferiority complex, that's the reason behind this.
Talking like an American comes natural, and that is what these foreigners don’t understand
Re: Is It Necessary To 'try' And Adapt An American,west Indian Or British Accent ? by fakedavid: 6:05pm On Nov 10, 2007
Arrant stupidity - does the America/european try to adapt to the nigerian accent when they come to Nigeria?

It is only a Nigerian person that travels abroad and her name

Lola becomes Looler

Ramoni becomes Raymond

Oba becomes King

Yetunde becomes Princess

Bankole becomes Banky

Segun becmoes Senguin

Olajumoke becomes Jummy

why?

If it is hard for the white man to pronounce the name - must u try to adapt them to pronounce it - when has a white man changes his/her name from

Fish to become Eja

Stone to become Okuta

Mr Black to become Mr dudu
or Miss Wood to become Miss Igi?

Hell no.
Re: Is It Necessary To 'try' And Adapt An American,west Indian Or British Accent ? by omoge(f): 6:17pm On Nov 10, 2007
Mr. Bush becomes Mr. Igbo Irumole grin
Re: Is It Necessary To 'try' And Adapt An American,west Indian Or British Accent ? by minute(f): 6:24pm On Nov 10, 2007
oh well . . . .the last thing i would want people do here look is to look at home like i was frm some planet filled with aliens.

i don't want people looking down on me so brushn up a little isnt too much- - - - when u are with your people ,speak whatever u want to and if u feel like forming - -your problem,not mine.
Re: Is It Necessary To 'try' And Adapt An American,west Indian Or British Accent ? by Nobody: 6:32pm On Nov 10, 2007
minute:

oh well . . . .the last thing i would want people do here look is to look at home like i was frm some planet filled with aliens.

i don't want people looking down on me so brushn up a little isnt too much- - - - when u are with your people ,speak whatever u want to and if u feel like forming - -your problem,not mine.

i don't buy it! When you say "brushing up" you are indirectly accepting that you are inferior to anyone. Why shld anyone look down on you for speaking with a yoruba ccent? I proudly announce the fact that i'm Nigerian and its a standing joke here that anyone who can pronounce my yoruba name well on the first attempt should congratulate themselves. Its sad that only Africans consider themselves inferior to be seen speaking their mother tongue. The Chinese speak with the most atrocious accents and YET Americans are falling over themselves to go learn Mandarin!

Infact i consider ebonics inferior to the Nigerian accent and meant only for jail birds and drug addicts.
Be who you are . . . speak with an accent if you must. Frecnh people speak english with a heavy accent, unlike us they don't however feel the need to "brush up" when they come to America.

Anyway i think this thread also exposes one fact that is so easy to miss . . . reverse inferiority complex. We have people here who consider themselves "priviledged" to be able to speak in an American or British accent by accident of birth or long period of residence in foreign countries. Looking down on those who are trying to change their accents is just one way of expressing that inner feeling.

REAL Americans and Brits don't care what accent you use. So long as they can understand whatever you say is fine by them. i don't see British people laughing at French or Germans who try to copy the British accent on their forums.
Nigerians need to get real, remove the log in their own eyes before attempting to remove the mote in their brother's eye.
Re: Is It Necessary To 'try' And Adapt An American,west Indian Or British Accent ? by JustGood(m): 6:55pm On Nov 10, 2007
davidyland@yahoo.com:

Arrant stupidity - does the America/european try to adapt to the nigerian accent when they come to Nigeria?

It is only a Nigerian person that travels abroad and her name

Lola becomes Looler

Ramoni becomes Raymond

Oba becomes King

Yetunde becomes Princess

Bankole becomes Banky

Segun becmoes Senguin

Olajumoke becomes Jummy

why?

If it is hard for the white man to pronounce the name - must u try to adapt them to pronounce it - when has a white man changes his/her name from

Fish to become Eja

Stone to become Okuta

Mr Black to become Mr dudu
or Miss Wood to become Miss Igi?

Hell no.

I cant stop laughing at this. It's mostly people who have low self esteem that will go abroad and try to be what they are not. Last time I was in America, I met a Nigerian that way and I couldn't stop talking about his stupidity as soon as he left us. My non Nigerian friend also had a few words to say.

I've never tried to change my Nigerian accent. I actually try to make sure I dont lose it.
Re: Is It Necessary To 'try' And Adapt An American,west Indian Or British Accent ? by chiogo(f): 7:09pm On Nov 10, 2007
younghoodi:

killacali niggas don't got accent they speak just like new-york niggas but the only thing diff is that they speak gang language like calling each other cuzz and blood trust me when i was in compton i feelt like i was in new-york if u talk about accent the dirty south niggas got hard ass accent sometimes they make u want to said wtf? are u talking about.
true but that's another case. how wld someone(a naija) who hasn't been there know?? To them, America has only one accent, u see what am sayin'?? I know some states got d same accents but they wldn't know that anywayz.The people tryin' to fake it mix it with naija accent, which makes no sense,like how can u speak in 2 different accents?? just speak d one u know best!
Re: Is It Necessary To 'try' And Adapt An American,west Indian Or British Accent ? by younghoodi(m): 7:11pm On Nov 10, 2007
yep i feel u,i like naija english mix up aa english's fun.

wettin dey happen sun?
Re: Is It Necessary To 'try' And Adapt An American,west Indian Or British Accent ? by chiogo(f): 7:16pm On Nov 10, 2007
haha. lol, u're a mess.
Re: Is It Necessary To 'try' And Adapt An American,west Indian Or British Accent ? by younghoodi(m): 7:17pm On Nov 10, 2007
lol not for real tho don't u think that's cool.wettin dey happen sun or wettin dey happen my boy.
Re: Is It Necessary To 'try' And Adapt An American,west Indian Or British Accent ? by chiogo(f): 7:22pm On Nov 10, 2007
No, it's not cool. it's funny,lol.
Re: Is It Necessary To 'try' And Adapt An American,west Indian Or British Accent ? by younghoodi(m): 7:25pm On Nov 10, 2007
well am gonna have err one in bronx sayin that is just like ca' passé.
Re: Is It Necessary To 'try' And Adapt An American,west Indian Or British Accent ? by chiogo(f): 7:31pm On Nov 10, 2007
younghoodi:

well am going to have err one in bronx sayin that is just like ca' passé.
what's that??
Re: Is It Necessary To 'try' And Adapt An American,west Indian Or British Accent ? by younghoodi(m): 7:33pm On Nov 10, 2007
that's like sayin what's up in cruel that's that hatien shit,hatien are just like african for real them niggas get it poppin.
Re: Is It Necessary To 'try' And Adapt An American,west Indian Or British Accent ? by chiogo(f): 7:34pm On Nov 10, 2007
haha, u said cruel. creole!!! they get what poppin'??
Re: Is It Necessary To 'try' And Adapt An American,west Indian Or British Accent ? by younghoodi(m): 7:42pm On Nov 10, 2007
THEY GET IT POPPIN ON SOME REAL SHIT,ERR ONE KNOW LIL HAITI GOT THE BIGGEST SQUAD UP IN THE M.I.YAYO ZOEPOUND,ca' passé,and they got juju too,dominicans are scared of them,if u saw a d-r and tell em that u hatien he's gonna run 4 real.
Re: Is It Necessary To 'try' And Adapt An American,west Indian Or British Accent ? by naijadiva2(f): 7:44pm On Nov 10, 2007
@ topic,

i've wondered the same thing that's why when a nigerian/african "try" to talk to me with that fakeass accent, i just totally ignore them and keep on walking.
Re: Is It Necessary To 'try' And Adapt An American,west Indian Or British Accent ? by younghoodi(m): 8:02pm On Nov 10, 2007
@chiogo

can't i ask u something?
Re: Is It Necessary To 'try' And Adapt An American,west Indian Or British Accent ? by chiogo(f): 8:03pm On Nov 10, 2007
yeah, sure, what??
Re: Is It Necessary To 'try' And Adapt An American,west Indian Or British Accent ? by Dios(f): 1:56am On Nov 11, 2007
@Young Hoodi,
I can smell you from a mile away,you "try" to act too hood or gangsta and we both know you fugazi. Why don't you just say miami instead of M.I YAYO?
And it's "CREOLE" boy not cruel. Lol
You feel me son? Like y'all NY niggas say.
But you right about one thing we talk different  downsouth. I know a dude from Georgia and I have no idea what he's saying 90% of the time.

"Err body" meaning everybody is a southern way of speaking, that doesn't mean people write like that. Why will you have everyone in the bronx saying "passe", I thought you're repping Yonkers. And next time just say California instead of KillaCali.

grin grin grin grin grin Chuuch
Re: Is It Necessary To 'try' And Adapt An American,west Indian Or British Accent ? by Nobody: 11:23am On Nov 11, 2007
@ Fox, that's an interesting point.

There is the "acceptance" thing, then there is the "dilution" factor.

The acceptance aspect is always very evident - you speak to a Nigerian / African, and half the time, there's an incredible mixture, of African and diabolical British / West Indian and American twang!  shocked It's often hard to make out what they're trying to say, as there's a subconscious shift back to their original accent, funny!  cheesy

The dilution factor is easier to understand. Depending on how long someone has lived in a different country to their native one, their accents MAY gradually change. I'm not talking a couple of years, unless the person was quite young when they relocated. It takes an adult a long, long time to lose their African accent. I was born here, and I've spent 12 years in Nigeria. I've been in the UK for almost 20 years, and can honestly say, I don't sound English! My African accent is not very evident, I'd say I have more of a black home counties accent, i.e no particular one.

I don't see the point in trying to refine a British accent,  just be articulate in my current tones, and be able to communicate effectively with my black brothers and sisters, as well as white folk. I can't stand the annoying shift between different accents, which is something a lot of people do, subconsciously. Not uncommon for a supposedly "Americanised" African to suddenly break out of their "adopted" twang and back into a Nigerian one, especially when they lose their tempers and begin to shout!  cheesy shocked

There's a lot of this "accent shift" amongst a lot of Nairalanders on here too. For some reason, these are the same people who think it's "cool" to use terms like "niggaz". Why would anyone want to call their black brethren that? White Americans, mostly Southerners have used that term for decades, in the most derogatory way to refer to blacks! In Memphis, it's still very common today. Why would a black man / woman use that term? 
Re: Is It Necessary To 'try' And Adapt An American,west Indian Or British Accent ? by spoilt(f): 2:35pm On Nov 11, 2007
I agree with davidylan.
Nigerians born or raised in the u.s or the Uk tend to 'look down' on the accents of other nigerians. I find it really amusing because they actually think they are better than you. angry

When i first moved here i lived with my cousins who sound american. They teased me no end about sounding nigerian. They tried to get me to sound more american (whatever that means!) My english is very sound and will put Enid Blyton (Rest her soul) to shame tongue. Davidylan was right when he said that the real americans or British dont care about your accent. They actually like it. Its only the Nigerians who 'know too much' that make an issue about it.
My clients like my accent. They try to guess where im from. Ive had them guess Jamaica, france, south africa and even Britain. They are fascinated and i must confess that i use it to my advantage everytime!

Even though my cousins sound american their spoken grammar leaves a lot to be desired and the written one will just make you cringe in horror. All the gonnas and wannas and y'alls interjected with aints will leave you dizzy and erupting in shame pox. shocked shocked

i just told them "If i woke up tomorrow sounding like you, i would kill myself" grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
They got the message!!!!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Igbo Mythology / Benin History 101... Myth About Oba Of Benin Bursted! / Yoruba Civilization Is Just Too Strong

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.