Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,639 members, 7,823,817 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 03:58 PM

Is It Necessary To 'try' And Adapt An American,west Indian Or British Accent ? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Is It Necessary To 'try' And Adapt An American,west Indian Or British Accent ? (4304 Views)

Hero:king JAJA OF OPOBO Full Biography,history Battle With The British(pictures) / British Tottenham Choir Singing Yoruba song - Ise Oluwa / Adapt To African Culture (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Necessary To 'try' And Adapt An American,west Indian Or British Accent ? by Dios(f): 3:31pm On Nov 11, 2007
Siena:

@ Fox, that's an interesting point.

There is the "acceptance" thing, then there is the "dilution" factor.

The acceptance aspect is always very evident - you speak to a Nigerian / African, and half the time, there's an incredible mixture, of African and diabolical British / West Indian and American twang! shocked It's often hard to make out what they're trying to say, as there's a subconscious shift back to their original accent, funny! cheesy

The dilution factor is easier to understand. Depending on how long someone has lived in a different country to their native one, their accents MAY gradually change. I'm not talking a couple of years, unless the person was quite young when they relocated. It takes an adult a long, long time to lose their African accent. I was born here, and I've spent 12 years in Nigeria. I've been in the UK for almost 20 years, and can honestly say, I don't sound English! My African accent is not very evident, I'd say I have more of a black home counties accent, i.e no particular one.

I don't see the point in trying to refine a British accent, just be articulate in my current tones, and be able to communicate effectively with my black brothers and sisters, as well as white folk. I can't stand the annoying shift between different accents, which is something a lot of people do, subconsciously. Not uncommon for a supposedly "Americanised" African to suddenly break out of their "adopted" twang and back into a Nigerian one, especially when they lose their tempers and begin to shout! cheesy shocked

There's a lot of this "accent shift" amongst a lot of Nairalanders on here too. For some reason, these are the same people who think it's "cool" to use terms like "niggaz". Why would anyone want to call their black brethren that? White Americans, mostly Southerners have used that term for decades, in the most derogatory way to refer to blacks! In Memphis, it's still very common today. Why would a black man / woman use that term?

Nigger is what peckerwoods called black folks during the jim crow days. Of course they still do it but behind closed doors and when they are exposed they cry like they didn't know what they were saying.
Nigga is just another word that can mean friend, dude, guy etc. The Hip Hop generation took the word and took the sting out of it. But it's still a touchy subject.
My Nigga. grin grin
Re: Is It Necessary To 'try' And Adapt An American,west Indian Or British Accent ? by britgirlee(f): 4:52pm On Nov 11, 2007
spoilt
your point is exactly??

Firstly you make reference to Nigerians born in this country look down' . For the benefit of myself and others could you provide us your relevant and accurate source of information backing this.?

Also This post is about Nigerians or Africans adapting the mentioned accents and mannerisms

From reading through the views and comments written by others YOU yourself can see this evedent amongst the society.

If I have to put in any thing personal about my self my dear when i schooled over there for the relevant short time I had the micky taken out of my accent all the time why because i was 'born over here and spoke differently to my other school mates However I didnt feel the NEED to copy an accent I was comfortable in myself and who I was brought up to be!!!!

Im sorry to say its true what the topic reads just a shame you have decided to come up with your response.

Guys lets keep to the topic and not bring in cultural issues and em barresing statements to cause disruption amongst our own : For the purpose to cause what??
Re: Is It Necessary To 'try' And Adapt An American,west Indian Or British Accent ? by spoilt(f): 5:16pm On Nov 11, 2007
britgirlee:

spoilt
your point is exactly??

Firstly you make reference to Nigerians born in this country look down' . For the benefit of myself and others could you provide us your relevant and accurate source of information backing this.?

Also This post is about Nigerians or Africans adapting the mentioned accents and mannerisms

From reading through the views and comments written by others YOU yourself can see this evedent amongst the society.

If I have to put in any thing personal about my self my dear when i schooled over there for the relevant short time I had the micky taken out of my accent all the time why because i was 'born over here and spoke differently to my other school mates However I didnt feel the NEED to copy an accent I was comfortable in myself and who I was brought up to be!!!!

I'm sorry to say its true what the topic reads just a shame you have decided to come up with your response.

Guys lets keep to the topic and not bring in cultural issues and em barresing statements to cause disruption amongst our own : For the purpose to cause what??

Dont see what you are getting touchy about! No seriously if you think i was refering to you in my post i wasnt. (Dont know you and dont know how you sound!)
I am posting from my own experiences. I am Nigerian. I sound Nigerian. A lot of the people who make fun of the way i sound are nigerians. Mostly those who sound american or British. If i was fickle and bothered by their jesting i would have started aping the way they talk trying to put on an american accent just to 'belong'. isnt that why you started this thread? To find out if it was necessary to adapt a foreign accent?
Re: Is It Necessary To 'try' And Adapt An American,west Indian Or British Accent ? by Nobody: 7:01pm On Nov 11, 2007
britgirlee:

spoilt
your point is exactly??

a valid point but what you didnt want to hear.

britgirlee:

You are an example of those who tend to indirectly "look down" on those Nigerians who move abroad and try to ape a foreign accent. The only difference is you try so hard to couch  it in flowery language. Real British and Americans don't waste their time trying to figure out what accent you use.

britgirlee:

Cut the crap and stop behaving like a spoilt child.  This topic is about this and that blah blah blah as if we can't read! Of course we know what the topic says, its just sad that anything outside your little sphere of reasoning gets classified under "that is not what the post is about".

britgirlee:

and what really is your point? Why are you so hung up about Nigerians who choose to change their accent for whatever purpose? Is it a crime? Dont you have better things to do than snooping for accents?

britgirlee:

and? Of course since you felt your British accent was far better than the Nigerian accent you never felt the need to change it.
Your ID and the tone of your posts are clear indications that you consider yourself "priviledged" to have been born in Britain no matter how loudly you try to proclaim Nigerian roots.

Put yourself in the other shoe and see if you would not have felt an overwhelming need to change your Nigerian accent.

britgirlee:

I'm sorry to say its true what the topic reads just a shame you have decided to come up with your response.

No, its a shame that you can't stand opposing views.

britgirlee:

Even with all your British accent you still don't spell any better than the man with a thick yoruba accent. Continue making noise.
Re: Is It Necessary To 'try' And Adapt An American,west Indian Or British Accent ? by spoilt(f): 7:21pm On Nov 11, 2007
@ Davidylan

I tire for madam britiko oh! i no know wetin i do. she 'unleashed' on me for no apparent reason.
you are right. She can't spell  shocked shocked
Re: Is It Necessary To 'try' And Adapt An American,west Indian Or British Accent ? by JustGood(m): 8:01pm On Nov 11, 2007
Minute said
i don't want people looking down on me so brushn up a little isnt too much- - - - when u are with your people ,speak whatever u want to and if u feel like forming - -your problem,not mine.

Absolutely pathetic!

Your worth is measured by how much you try not to be yourself. What you have just revealed is that you have very little worth in yourself and so you have a need to try and distance yourself from who you really are.

Very sad indeed. It's strange that you were not brought up to have any pride in who you are and what you represent.
Re: Is It Necessary To 'try' And Adapt An American,west Indian Or British Accent ? by britgirlee(f): 9:23pm On Nov 11, 2007
Daviddyln #
If you insist on posting your pathetic so called views on my topics as a letch please feel free to do so, your not funny you think your intelligent  and you obviously have several issues , WE ALL HAVE READ YR VIEWS on other  topics people have written  and funnily enough your like a broken record  same negative comments diffrent topic you don't seem to have a g good thing to say about anyone.

BUT WE CAN ALL GUARANTEE wont take bets )you will like a stalker  will reply to this with your very barbaric negative views AND OWN SELF BELIEF and continue like a schizophrenic to read and respond to my topics.

Ps please feel free to spell check and proof read all my type spelling errors saves me the bother.
Re: Is It Necessary To 'try' And Adapt An American,west Indian Or British Accent ? by Nobody: 9:32pm On Nov 11, 2007
Hey Fox, where've you been? smiley
Re: Is It Necessary To 'try' And Adapt An American,west Indian Or British Accent ? by britgirlee(f): 9:34pm On Nov 11, 2007
just good

couldnt of said it any better wink
Re: Is It Necessary To 'try' And Adapt An American,west Indian Or British Accent ? by britgirlee(f): 9:39pm On Nov 11, 2007
Hi Sienna ,
just busy weekend!!

tried to catch you on messenger, maybe tomorrow its intresting what you wrote on this topic

A @lone ranger has tried to discredit it but we laugh, grin very amusing
Re: Is It Necessary To 'try' And Adapt An American,west Indian Or British Accent ? by Nobody: 11:02pm On Nov 11, 2007
britgirlee:

Daviddyln #
If you insist on posting your pathetic so called views on my topics as a letch please feel free to do so, your not funny you think your intelligent  and you obviously have several issues , WE ALL HAVE READ YR VIEWS on other  topics people have written  and funnily enough your like a broken record  same negative comments diffrent topic you don't seem to have a g good thing to say about anyone.
BUT WE CAN ALL GUARANTEE wont take bets )you will like a stalker  will reply to this with your very barbaric negative views AND OWN SELF BELIEF and continue like a schizophrenic to read and respond to my topics.
Ps please feel free to spell check and proof read all my type spelling errors saves me the bother.

Its obvious who has issues . . . and please could you stop using WE to hide your sorrow and speak for yourself?  grin I don't remember having problems with anyone else. Except of cause empty heads who insist on trying to appear intelligent.

Sorry to burst your bubble. . .  that's why its a forum. Cant stand the heat, the kitchen exit is open ma'am.  cheesy
I'd rather speak with a very strong Yoruba accent than be unable to spell like a 3yr old. Spell checking is not needed, your posts are riddled with errors.
Enjoy.

Ewoo! Barbaric views! grin grin
Re: Is It Necessary To 'try' And Adapt An American,west Indian Or British Accent ? by omoge(f): 1:25am On Nov 12, 2007
i can even say 'na wah o' or Ewoo when talking to my oyinbo friends. sound almost like wow (whoa) cool
Re: Is It Necessary To 'try' And Adapt An American,west Indian Or British Accent ? by younghoodi(m): 5:06pm On Nov 12, 2007
@Dios 

AM NOT GONNA DISS YOUR ASS CUZ I AIN'T A YOUNGDICE NO MORE AM A GROWN DICE NOW,AM A G NIGGA I TALK HOWEVER I WANT WORD TO MY MAMA,I WRITE AND TALK THAT WAY FOR A REASON,IF I SAID CALIFORNIA AM DISRESPECTING MY CALI NIGGAS AND IF I SAID MIAMI AM DISSIN MY M.I YAYO NIGGAS SO GET THIS STRAIGHT HOMEBOY,AND ONE MORE THING BOY AM GONNA KEEP SAYIN CRUEL CUZ THAT'S THE WAY MY NEW-YORK NIGGAS SAID IT OK ONE LOVE TO ZOEPOUND.
one more thing negro yonkers and bronx are like in the same spot yonkers is like in the bronx fool and cower I know niggas from err where u could catch me in ya city nigga,am new-york I run new-york sun I though u a real nigga so i ain't diss ya but later I smeel u a pussy fam,DOWNSOUTH NIGGas ARE KIND OF punks,this fool from the A came to new-york talking about shawty am a g so my homeBOY rob the RoosterDrinker and homey ain't did shit, mess with me shawty I will take those grills off ya teeth hear me shawty han undecided and one more thing fuk u nigga real recognize real.
Re: Is It Necessary To 'try' And Adapt An American,west Indian Or British Accent ? by chiogo(f): 5:36pm On Nov 12, 2007
@dice, what did u want to ask me??
Re: Is It Necessary To 'try' And Adapt An American,west Indian Or British Accent ? by younghoodi(m): 5:40pm On Nov 12, 2007
i forgat.
Re: Is It Necessary To 'try' And Adapt An American,west Indian Or British Accent ? by spoilt(f): 8:49pm On Nov 12, 2007
younghoodi:

@Dios 

AM NOT GONNA DISS YOUR ASS CUZ I AIN'T A YOUNGDICE NO MORE AM A GROWN DICE NOW,AM A G NIGGA I TALK HOWEVER I WANT WORD TO MY MAMA,I WRITE AND TALK THAT WAY FOR A REASON,IF I SAID CALIFORNIA AM DISRESPECTING MY CALI NIGGAS AND IF I SAID MIAMI AM DISSIN MY M.I YAYO NIGGAS SO GET THIS STRAIGHT HOMEBOY,AND ONE MORE THING BOY AM GONNA KEEP SAYIN CRUEL CUZ THAT'S THE WAY MY NEW-YORK NIGGAS SAID IT OK ONE LOVE TO ZOEPOUND.
one more thing negro yonkers and bronx are like in the same spot yonkers is like in the bronx fool and cower I know niggas from err where u could catch me in ya city nigga,am new-york I run new-york sun I though u a real nigga so i ain't diss ya but later I smeel u a pussy fam,DOWNSOUTH NIGGas ARE KIND OF punks,this fool from the A came to new-york talking about shawty am a g so my homeBOY rob the RoosterDrinker and homey ain't did shit, mess with me shawty I will take those grills off ya teeth hear me shawty han undecided and one more thing fuk u nigga real recognize real.

This post made my eyes hurt!
would have probably made my ears bleed if it was audio. God save us from western influence.  undecided
Re: Is It Necessary To 'try' And Adapt An American,west Indian Or British Accent ? by Dios(f): 8:34am On Nov 13, 2007
younghoodi:

@Dios 

Youngdice, Grown dice, different age, same level of intelligence. Your post doesn't even deserve a response. You are one of those clowns that are cowards in everyday life, then get on a keyboard and morph into a combination of tony montana and frank lucas. You run NY?  grin grin grin
Your "NY niggas" said cruel, so your ignorant ass says cruel here's an idea, why don't you correct them?
You don't have niggas in CALIFORNIA or MIAMI, the only niggas you have live in your gangsta fantasies. And I live in TX so you're welcome to come catch me at anytime, I'll even give you the city and zipcode, f#ck it, I'll pick you up at the airport or greyhound station. Triple O.G. You're a FOOL.
Real recognize real and you look like a stranger to me.
So youngdice, I now put you on timeout, go to your room and quit your gangsta fantasies.
Re: Is It Necessary To 'try' And Adapt An American,west Indian Or British Accent ? by younghoodi(m): 4:57pm On Nov 13, 2007
daaaaag dice y do u gotta always fix a bitch nigga up,but bleeped anyway he ask for it,look here  bitch nigga  am a general boy i got soldiers err where,texas niggas are punks u should keep ridin on ya horse because fuk with me faggay is shots fire,triple o.g u a bitch.grown dice.
Re: Is It Necessary To 'try' And Adapt An American,west Indian Or British Accent ? by Dios(f): 3:23pm On Nov 14, 2007
younghoodi:

daaaaag dice y do u gotta always fix a bitch nigga up,but bleeped anyway he ask for it,look here bitch nigga am a general boy i got soldier err where,texas niggas are punks u should keep ridin on ya horse because fuk with me faggay is shots fire,triple o.g u a bitch.grown dice.

Ok triple o.g, general dice sir. It's annoying when idiots like you use the military analogy when real soldiers are in Iraq. And 90% of Texas is urban so take that horse comment and shove it. I'm done, you're too damn ignorant.
Re: Is It Necessary To 'try' And Adapt An American,west Indian Or British Accent ? by omoge(f): 3:42pm On Nov 14, 2007
God bless our troops

Dios:

Ok triple o.g, general dice sir. It's annoying when idiots like you use the military analogy when real soldiers are in Iraq. And 90% of Texas is urban so take that horse comment and shove it. I'm done, you're too damn ignorant.
Re: Is It Necessary To 'try' And Adapt An American,west Indian Or British Accent ? by analyt82(f): 10:51pm On Nov 14, 2007
@ younghoodi, your speak is already embarrassing, but to know that you can't put two and two together to "not" type like you talk makes it all the more worse. cry You have no room to talk about anyone. At all. sad
Re: Is It Necessary To 'try' And Adapt An American,west Indian Or British Accent ? by younghoodi(m): 10:52pm On Nov 14, 2007
Dios:

yeah whatever,listen here homeboy am not going to argue with your ass no more cause i ain't a youngdice nomore am a grown dice now,so as a grown dice this's what am going to tell ya,am in yonkers all day homey come to 3.5.4 i be out there rolling dice,when u see me see me my nigga dolo one o one. undecided

analyt82:

@ younghoodi, your speak is already embarrassing, but to know that you can't put two and two together to "not" type like you talk makes it all the more worse. cry You have no room to talk about anyone. At all. sad

don't speak when i speak ma i don't wanna hurt u embarassed
Re: Is It Necessary To 'try' And Adapt An American,west Indian Or British Accent ? by analyt82(f): 3:12pm On Nov 15, 2007
A threat?? shocked Weakly given. embarassed A boy playing a man's game. Sweetie, you "claim" that you're a grown man?? There is a standard to being a man. Who you curse out and insult don't cut it. There is life after what you do. Live up to it and God Bless. It's sad that our "grown" men have this mentality. undecided This is one of the reasons why we'll never overcome. lipsrsealed I apologize to everyone for him. I'll pray for you sir. cry
Re: Is It Necessary To 'try' And Adapt An American,west Indian Or British Accent ? by BlackMamba(m): 3:50pm On Nov 15, 2007
To answer your question:
Yes, you must adapt to the language of your environment, including the accent, to improve your communication skills. I'm not talking about street talk which looks stupid if you are forcing it.

I cannot imagine someone adopting West Indian accent or Patios in Europe or U.S.
Re: Is It Necessary To 'try' And Adapt An American,west Indian Or British Accent ? by ow11(m): 6:02pm On Nov 15, 2007
BlackMamba:

To answer your question:
Yes, you must adapt to the language of your environment, including the accent, to improve your communication skills. I'm not talking about street talk which looks stupid if you are forcing it.

so how come Brits in Nigeria don't copy our accent or Indians try to change theirs in England ?
Re: Is It Necessary To 'try' And Adapt An American,west Indian Or British Accent ? by britgirlee(f): 8:32pm On Nov 15, 2007
BlackMamba:

To answer your question:

I cannot imagine someone adopting West Indian accent or Patios in Europe or US.

very true ow11 its a shame that people cannot be happy with thier own accents, the worse thing about it 'individuals that are from nigeria have made such an effort to adapt the so called ' british or american twang' that the british americans etc are now making fun of ther african accent ,

using on tv as jokes etc
Re: Is It Necessary To 'try' And Adapt An American,west Indian Or British Accent ? by younghoodi(m): 8:41pm On Nov 15, 2007
analy that's the sweetest thing a girl ever told me.
Re: Is It Necessary To 'try' And Adapt An American,west Indian Or British Accent ? by wham(m): 4:03pm On Nov 18, 2007
Ah a!!

When this this thread turn fight?

Na wa Oh!
Re: Is It Necessary To 'try' And Adapt An American,west Indian Or British Accent ? by Nobody: 4:49pm On Nov 18, 2007
ow11:

so how come Brits in Nigeria don't copy our accent or Indians try to change theirs in England ?

You could as well have asked why Brits and Americans are not queueing at embassies for Nigerian visas. Simple! they consider themselves racially superior to you and thus dont feel the need to "condescend" to copying your accent.

britgirlee:

very true ow11 its a shame that people cannot be happy with their own accents, the worse thing about it 'individuals that are from nigeria have made such an effort to adapt the so called ' british or american twang' that the british americans etc are now making fun of ther african accent ,

using on tv as jokes etc

Reading most of ur harebrained entries is aggravating to be honest. You exhibit a colonial mentality, seeing urself as superior because you happen to have a british accent. White British people dont make fun of the african accent on Tv, it is foolish africans like you who have been mentally enslaved who do so.
Re: Is It Necessary To 'try' And Adapt An American,west Indian Or British Accent ? by otele(m): 8:49pm On Nov 18, 2007
hey guys listen, some peeps try to adapt the british accent for economic reasons. it is obvious that if you go looking for jobs, during interviews, those with a lil bit of the british accent have some advantage. it's not as if we dont like our own accent. i speak with my accent which i'm proud of, but when i'm at work, i use the british accent to attend to customers and to communicate with colleagues and superiors. somehow it seems more progress is made with their accent(which is not fair though)

it's just like whoopi goldberg who took the name goldberg to enable her move on in life, even when she is not a jew. it helped her.
Re: Is It Necessary To 'try' And Adapt An American,west Indian Or British Accent ? by wendymanda: 3:06am On Nov 19, 2007
I wouldn't say it is necessary for people to adapt to an accent but most people see the need to fit it and in so they try to adapt. I don't find a problem with people that adapt but I think the most horrid thing is trying to speak ebonics. It's horrid on black American's but worse when you try to fit in with a people who will forever try to openly tell you your inferior.
Re: Is It Necessary To 'try' And Adapt An American,west Indian Or British Accent ? by wendymanda: 3:22am On Nov 19, 2007
crap and arrant nonsense - have u seen where the white man adapts to the African way of speaking? why will you as an African venture to adapt the way of the white man or their accent when they don't even give a dam u exist? anyone who is African but tries to copy the white man in their accent - is nothing but someone who feels inferior being an African and blames God for making him/her an African.

Why don't you start changing this arrant nonesense by not writing in English. The fact that you are affliated in the least bit with English means you balme your God for making you African. You should go ask for forgiveness now.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Igbo Mythology / Benin History 101... Myth About Oba Of Benin Bursted! / Who Is Your All-time 'most Admired Person'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.